Devils v Clan - 13/11 - 6:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

TheStub

Without focusing on this player or that player, can someone give me an honest run down on how we played?

What tactics did we use? How effective were our match ups? What match ups were we going for?

I hate missing games :(

Finny

clanfanjj said:
So good Welshy, Mike ended up in hospital. Well done Voth back to your usual goon ways!!
I don't think anyone wants to see a player get injured in such a way. What makes you think it was because of Voths 'goon ways'. I thought it was just a case that the backup was standing too close to the pointless bit of plexi which ended up hitting him?

Apologies Finny, I hold my hands up here - I wasn't there so didn't see what happened - only have second hand knowledge which may be wrong so shouldn't use it. What got my goat was the way Welshy thought is was so good! A player having to be taken to hospital for any reason is not a good thing for any team!

ASHIPP

All the euphoria and hardwork of the Belfast result was canceled out by last night's performance. :evil: Congratulations to the Clan - thoroughly deserved to win by playing well, finishing their chances and limiting their PIMs. Good luck to them as they will probably sail past Devils and Blaze in the league shortly.
The chemistry between Bayrack and Galbraith is something desperately missing on our team right now.

Based on last night's performance, the Devils have the ability but not the execution to be no more than a mid-table team. If they reach the CC semis, at the moment they look like the weakest in the competition.

Frustrating that, after grinding out the 1st goal, the Devils were slowly taking control of the game last night. 2 quick Clan goals reversed the momentum for the Devils - no chemistry, systems not working, too many penalties and chasing a game they SHOULD have won. And working as individuals, not as a team.

I am gutted for the same small group of commited players who flog their guts out every game to keep the team in it, only for all that to be cancelled out.
And I will say it......some players looked disinterested last night, some coasting like passengers, one or two completely anonymous in their contribution
. :evil:

Frank's ejection from the game was catastrophic. At that point, the Devils had still just about had the momentum although they were killing a penalty. Can someone please explain how Chris's actions at that point helped the team?
As a direct result, our defence was compromised even more....and control of the game shifted to the Clan after their 2 goals. Frank's absence next week will not help in games against the very team the Devils are trying to overtake. :evil:

There seem to be 2 Elite Devils' teams playing at the moment - but which one is going to turn up? :? 3 weeks ago the press was all about changes happening. :? Whether that means systems or players, let's hope this happens sooner rather than later. Christmas is fast approaching and the season will reach 'the point of no return'. Next weekend's games against the team immediately above them will be an indication whether the Devils can convert all that individual skill into a commited team result.

TheStub

Re: Re: Devils v Clan - 13/11 - 6:30pm - League - Chat/Updat

ASHIPP said:
Next weekend's games against the team immediately above them will be an indication whether the Devils can convert all that individual skill into a commited team result.
We haven't looked like a team all season, just collection of individuals. Juno has that spot on from one webcast.

Until they can find chemistry and play together, we are really in the mire. Is that a hockey thing, or a team thing? How well do this group of guys actually get along?

The biggest liability this year for me (sucking sour eggs) is jeff pierce.
Only a couple of weeks ago I started a thread defending him but find my self week in week out becoming more frustrated by his inability to throw a hit or chase the puck down after losing it to some ridiculous figure skating like move.
Watching him in Belfast the other night he showed great bits of skill when he had the puck, but the guy is lazy as hell. Reminded me of a Giant in Ed Courtneys days, Ryan Smith. The guy was over a point a game for the Giants but he never went into the corners and was lazy as well, Courtney got rid about 1/4 of the way into the season..

ASHIPP

Re: Re: Devils v Clan - 13/11 - 6:30pm - League - Chat/Updat

TheStub said:
ASHIPP said:
Next weekend's games against the team immediately above them will be an indication whether the Devils can convert all that individual skill into a commited team result.
We haven't looked like a team all season, just collection of individuals. Juno has that spot on from one webcast.

Until they can find chemistry and play together, we are really in the mire. Is that a hockey thing, or a team thing? How well do this group of guys actually get along?
Chemistry is essential. Interesting that the roster has changed little from last year but something is not right. :?
Granted that other teams have greatly improved. The Devils have the individual skills and abilities, we've seen it.......but something big missing in the execution at the moment.

voth26

clanfanjj said:
Welshy74 said:
Did anyone else see the check Brad did by their bench? It was so good it took their back up netminder out. He was sitting behind the bench with a bleeding nose and didn't come out for 3rd period!
So good Welshy, Mike ended up in hospital. Well done Voth back to your usual goon ways!!
clanfanjj, why because of voths hit is he "back to his usual goon ways" carson clearly didnt see anything wrong with it and called it CLEAN, you can bet your bottom dollor carson would have called it if he thought it was dodgy. with respect there are a few players for the clan who are bordering on the goonish side ie mcpherson, galbraith,and bannister at a hint they were happy to slash and check after the play noticeably on players such as davies, at least voth will check players openly during the play.

Welshy74

voth26 said:
clanfanjj said:
Welshy74 said:
Did anyone else see the check Brad did by their bench? It was so good it took their back up netminder out. He was sitting behind the bench with a bleeding nose and didn't come out for 3rd period!
clanfanjj, why because of voths hit is he "back to his usual goon ways" carson clearly didnt see anything wrong with it and called it CLEAN, you can bet your bottom dollor carson would have called it if he thought it was dodgy. with respect there are a few players for the clan who are bordering on the goonish side ie mcpherson, galbraith,and bannister at a hint they were happy to slash and check after the play noticeably on players such as davies, at least voth will check players openly during the play.
I never said it was good that he injured the goalie I meant that he checked two players in one go. Obviously I don't wish harm or thinks its funny when opposition players are injured

Welshy74 said:
Reading your quote again it certainly looks as though you thought the hit to the back-up nettie was good...perhaps I read it the wrong way!

Welshy74

clanfanjj said:
Welshy74 said:
Reading your quote again it certainly looks as though you thought the hit to the back-up nettie was good...perhaps I read it the wrong way!

Apologies if it seems that way. Meant good hit not good outcome

Welshy74 said:
clanfanjj said:
Welshy74 said:

Apologies if it seems that way. Meant good hit not good outcome
watching from block 8 it looked like the guy got caught by a lose stick, not much anyone could do really

TheStub said:
Without focusing on this player or that player, can someone give me an honest run down on how we played?

What tactics did we use? How effective were our match ups? What match ups were we going for?

I hate missing games :(
To me it seemed the same as every game I've seen his season - a low intensity start with players just going through the motions and a 'token' forecheck.

As Rempel quite rightly says, things changed followed by Frank's hit in the Giants zone which sparked Voth into a hit which shock horror forced a turnover and a chance out front.

Another forecheck with intent then quickly resulted in another turnover and good chance out front. For a moment it seemed that the team had suddenly realised what we all know - that a strong forecheck brings us success on home ice.

Unfortunately it didn't continue and we moved into the second period where Frank had his moment with Bannister following a scuffle and some chippy play prior. Obviously I've only seen it in real time so would rather wait for a reply before committing to a call, but on first look Frank should be looking at 4 games. He's lucky the league botched the ruling on Doucet so with that precedent shouldn't get any more than the one he has. I want Frank to be a success and he obviously has the ability, but too often the bloke seems to make bad choices (and I still haven't see him throw a legal hit :eek: )

The third period we seemed devoid of ideas as Braehead took the lead and stacked the neutral zone. It seemed obvious that we should have been dumping and chasing hard to win turnovers (particularly with Braehead short on D and Banister likely not at 100%) - instead we tried to skate the puck through the Braehead wall with our chronic lack of skill :(

Unfortunate for Max at the end who was one of our better players and was one of few who tried to inject some energy into the Devils, but it just shows how you have to stay witched on in the pro arena. He made a bad decision in our own end and it cost us.

In terms of the lines...I'm struggling to see where Dobben fits in. He's not physical enough for the third line and not skillfull enough for the big line. A similar story for Macrae as well, who's style of game isn't enough to get Pearce skating. Matzka off his game offensively, but wasted on a line with Voth (who doesn't seem bothered) and Hill (forgotten how to hit and shoot)

In summary (IMO of course);

Physical for short periods which worked
Back to non-contact hockey for the majority
Chronic lack of skill/team chemistry
Bad decision-making
Good goaltending
Questionable tactics in the third

ASHIPP

I smiled when it was announced that Jay Latulippe was in the crowd last night. I felt like shouting 'give him a jersey and a stick -we need him!'. :lol: An agitator/galvaniser type player is missing from the roster.

I've just re-read my post and realised I forgot to mention Braehead :D I think they've got a good balance and while they haven't quite got the strength in brits just yet, seemed to play as team team with good skill and grit.

They've probably got the most skilled top line in the league who were a joy to watch (Galbraith is just quality) and the second line has a good mix. Bruce is a real leader for that team.

Defensively, they're anchored by strong goaltending and the excellent Bannister and Wedderburn.

A deserved win IMO

ASHIPP said:
I smiled when it was announced that Jay Latulippe was in the crowd last night. I felt like shouting 'give him a jersey and a stick -we need him!'. :lol: An agitator/galvaniser type player is missing from the roster.
I felt the same :D I didn't mind him going as we had Finnerty and I felt there was only room for one of them, but now we have neither and no-one has come close to filling that role for us this season :(

ASHIPP

Soundwave1 said:
I've just re-read my post and realised I forgot to mention Braehead :D I think they've got a good balance and while they haven't quite got the strength in brits just yet, seemed to play as team team with good skill and grit.

They've probably got the most skilled top line in the league who were a joy to watch (Galbraith is just quality) and the second line has a good mix. Bruce is a real leader for that team.

Defensively, they're anchored by strong goaltending and the excellent Bannister and Wedderburn.

A deserved win IMO
Yes all credit to the Clan. :D This team is going places and, after a great inaugural season last year, signs are that Bannister is really building on that. Very strong in the CC qualification.....and with a real chance of finishing higher than 5th this year.
Some excellent import signings whilst retaining some of the best players from last year.
Another import d would solidify the back, but can see why they have 6 import forwards as their British players are still developing. Haywood and Walker are getting stronger.

Finny

drummer-ricky said:
watching from block 8 it looked like the guy got caught by a lose stick, not much anyone could do really
That's what the people by me in block 3 thought too. That he had been caught by Galbraith's stick and had a nose bleed as a result.
Later we heard the poor guy had a fractured cheek bone?