Devils v Clan - 13/11 - 6:30pm - League - Chat/Updates

DevilDom

Just to be slightly positive on this - if anyone had offered me 3 points from our two weekend games before they started I would have snatched their hand off.

Ok so the results went slightly the wrong way but 3 points from 4 against 2 teams in the top 6 is a very good return.

Ocko

How anyone can say Voth isnt bothered is beyond me. He is one of the very few players who doesnt stop skating each shift. His work rate matches anyone on the roster, he's the first one to forecheck and busts a gut getting back. What else can you ask of a player?

And whats with the obsession with bans? When did hockey become soft. I dont understand why Frank should have a ban. The player finished the game with no onbvious effects if it was a hit from behing then surely thats a 2+10 or a 5+Game. Bannister is such a showman, his little leg wobble going to the changing room was pathetic. I dont for one minute believe that was genuine as he was out soon after as if nothing was wrong. It's not the first time he's tried to convince the ref about an injury... anyone remember Voth 'breaking Bruce's neck'?

Frank isnt the liability it's the refs. Everyone in this country is obsessed with banning players, and giving out half penalties for hard clean checks. The game is becoming soft as are alot of fans interpretation of it. Frank is just in the same boat as Voth and most other tough players. If they make a hit that makes any noise or if the player drops then it's a penalty, regardless of how clean it was. The Elite League and refs are taking this league down the pansy European route.

DevilDom

Ocko said:
How anyone can say Voth isnt bothered is beyond me. He is one of the very few players who doesnt stop skating each shift. His work rate matches anyone on the roster, he's the first one to forecheck and busts a gut getting back. What else can you ask of a player?

And whats with the obsession with bans? When did hockey become soft. I dont understand why Frank should have a ban. The player finished the game with no onbvious effects if it was a hit from behing then surely thats a 2+10 or a 5+Game. Bannister is such a showman, his little leg wobble going to the changing room was pathetic. I dont for one minute believe that was genuine as he was out soon after as if nothing was wrong. It's not the first time he's tried to convince the ref about an injury... anyone remember Voth 'breaking Bruce's neck'?

Frank isnt the liability it's the refs. Everyone in this country is obsessed with banning players, and giving out half penalties for hard clean checks. The game is becoming soft as are alot of fans interpretation of it. Frank is just in the same boat as Voth and most other tough players. If they make a hit that makes any noise or if the player drops then it's a penalty, regardless of how clean it was. The Elite League and refs are taking this league down the pansy European route.
A lot of truth in that. Bannister definitely goaded Frank into it and then milked it for all it was worth. Didn't look to have any ill affects later in the game either. Some however would say he was being clever playing Frank and Carson as he knew what would happen.

Ocko

Pierce - Superbly taken baseball swing volley for his goal. Other than that as lazy as he usually is, showed a complete lack of vision a few times when he should have passed but instead run into trouble.

Dobben - Same as he is every game, nothing more than average. Not at all physical and doesnt really create a great deal. Won a fair few face offs though.

Frank - Until his departure a good solid game. Intimidating presence at the back and sparked the team into life with a few good hits. He also carried well when he had the opportunity. Although Galbraith turned him inside out in his own zone, he'll want that one on one back.

Wannabe2

I am obviously glad that Bannister didnt get badly hurt, but i cant believe the way he stayed down for so long, then was helped off as if he had massive concussion with the legs wobbling, and then came back out not only to continue playing but getting involved in the melee with Voth as well. When i watched him go off i thought thats him out for a few weeks, and couldnt believe it when he skated out as if nothing had happened. Funny old game hockey.

jimmy snels

Soundwave1 said:
ASHIPP said:
I smiled when it was announced that Jay Latulippe was in the crowd last night. I felt like shouting 'give him a jersey and a stick -we need him!'. :lol: An agitator/galvaniser type player is missing from the roster.
I felt the same :D I didn't mind him going as we had Finnerty and I felt there was only room for one of them, but now we have neither and no-one has come close to filling that role for us this season :(
stuff those ... they cost us more than they won, i miss tylor :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ASHIPP

G's post-game comments pretty much sum it up. Almost an acknowledgement there that the Devils don't have the same level of forward free-scoring fire-power that some teams have, and therefore the defence has to be particularly strong.

The Devils' defence is doing a fantastic job at the moment from Stevie through to Josh....but like G says, current absentee circumstances haven't helped . Time for other players on the team to step up and meet other responsibilities in their game. D can't do it on their own, especially long-term.

In my opinion it was a bad check at a bad time that Frank made last night and may ultimately cost the team more than the 1 point we lost against Braehead
With 2 games against the Blaze up next we might not get any points playing with only 4 D-men ,Max might be an option at the back but that certainly detracts from our firepower
For me the team haven't quite clicked this season . everyone has their opinion on Pierce but he has put the puck in the net on numerous and some extraordinary occassions
Frank can do the job but 5 misconducts already and for more or less the same offence G needs to have a word
The 3 centremen are not scoring goals which is why I'd like to see these lines

max,pierce and matska where he belongs on the top line
hill,voth and dobben (a gritty line)
ben,sam and stu
the sam,stu, tylor line last year was excellant last year why not keep 2 of them together with ben who is one of our best players this season

A final mention to our D-men last night but especially kenton smith for his effort.
Have a restful week the Blaze await

I thought the Clan gave a much better account of themselves than their last visit. They gave away very few penalties all night, and punished our individual mistakes (of which there are simply too many right now).

Devils team just isn't gelling right now, and doesn't look built to win on our small ice (which could prove disasterous as crowds aren't going to improve if this continues). Pierce's workrate makes him annoying to watch. But he's pretty much untouchable right now as I really don't know where the goals would come from without him. Frank's penalty was stupid, OK he took a high stick, but that hit is gunna be called everyday of the week in this league and he should know that by now.

I do worry about the future of the Devils... the fact we had an offer on and still had a poor crowd. It doesn't look like we're gunna be competiting (M. Smith not being replaced) so I imagine crowds won't improve.

mmm some interesting posts on here. I can remember a few weeks back I posted questioning weather frank and pierce where the right men for the team and got torn apart by everybody and all of of a sudden opinions seem to be shifting. What happend there then??

Think i attended a slightly different game to most people on here, and think far too much of attention is being paid to franks hit. Yes he shouldn't have made it, was an error in a red mist moment (but that's what happens with players like frank) he got match penalty, which is as much as is deserved.
What lost the game was a terrible line change by a couple of players (not checking the puck had actually made it out of our own zone) which led to max having to back track like mad leading to a bit of a mare by him, but not something he can be blamed for.
How people can say Voth looks like he can't be bothered I don't know, he puts 100% in on the ice and is starting to make the hits again that we need. Last night i thought was the first time in a long time we have seen some physicality from the team and i hope it continues. Yes there are things that need to be sorted out but Saturday they beat the team top of the table and last night were just edged out by a very strong looking Clan team.
Pierce is the only player on the team I take issue with, he has moments of brilliance, such as last night when he skated from end to end and pinged the puck of the pipework's as well as his goal. But is just far too lazy and has no desire to chase the puck, he has so much more potential. Although last night he did show some signs of interest, for me he is the only player I would really look to replace.
Josh had a bit of a bad night last night and I really felt for him, hopefully he won't let it play on him too much.
I thought the atmosphere was great last night, but then it always is in block 2 with the "clueless morons" and hats off to the Braehead fans, they were a great laugh.

Wannabe2

nmase20 said:
Think i attended a slightly different game to most people on here, and think far too much of attention is being paid to franks hit. Yes he shouldn't have made it, was an error in a red mist moment (but that's what happens with players like frank) he got match penalty, which is as much as is deserved.
What lost the game was a terrible line change by a couple of players (not checking the puck had actually made it out of our own zone) which led to max having to back track like mad leading to a bit of a mare by him, but not something he can be blamed for.
How people can say Voth looks like he can't be bothered I don't know, he puts 100% in on the ice and is starting to make the hits again that we need. Last night i thought was the first time in a long time we have seen some physicality from the team and i hope it continues. Yes there are things that need to be sorted out but Saturday they beat the team top of the table and last night were just edged out by a very strong looking Clan team.
Pierce is the only player on the team I take issue with, he has moments of brilliance, such as last night when he skated from end to end and pinged the puck of the pipework's as well as his goal. But is just far too lazy and has no desire to chase the puck, he has so much more potential. Although last night he did show some signs of interest, for me he is the only player I would really look to replace.
Josh had a bit of a bad night last night and I really felt for him, hopefully he won't let it play on him too much.
I thought the atmosphere was great last night, but then it always is in block 2 with the "clueless morons" and hats off to the Braehead fans, they were a great laugh.
Think i attended the same game as you mate, i enjoyed the game myself, end to end stuff, bit of rough and tumble, would have liked to have taken both points but they are not a bad team by any means. Few mistakes that cost us but hey ho.

Koop11

A frustrating game on Sunday. Huge credit to Breahead who I thought played one of the best road games in our rink of any team this season. They flooded the blueline, hit us on the break and were well disciplined. This combined, we weren’t able to challenge their goalie enough. I some ways I’m very happy to come away with a point. Its frustrating that we lost the game to some lack on concentration. Even more frustrating when you consider Max has been one of our best players in recent weeks.

There was effort there which I cannot fault but I think being 2 import D down half way through the game took its toll, although the remaining defensemen were very solid. Kenton was outstanding. MoM for me without doubt. He is also, IMO, our best player on the SH this season. I thought Gerad played a great game also.

With regard to Frank, you cannot argue with the outcome of that dangerous hit. Whatever his reasoning for doing what he did, he should not have done it and has cost our team dearly as we have a league double header v Coventry this weekend. 2 import down is going to be a big ask against arguably one of the best PP teams in this league. The frustrating thing is that Chris Frank is a very decent hockey player. Yes he’s an enforcer but his puck carrying and defensive game is faultless. He is probably the biggest hitter in this league but where he lets himself and the team down is his timing and self control. Too many times this season Frank has let his frustrations get the better of him and 6 misconducts later, including a match penalty, and you see him standing top of the Elite League penalty minutes. My understanding is that 6 misconducts brings a match penalty, meaning he misses Saturday. The match penalty alone will bring at least a 1 game suspension (this Sunday) and is subject to a possible extension when it is automatically reviewed.

At the end of the day, I would have taken a 3 points going into last weekend. I don’t think anyone expected us to take 3 points the way we did. We put ourselves in a position to make it a 4 league point weekend (out first of the season?) and lost it.

Finally, it was a disappointing crowd when you consider the offer that was put out for this game. Credit to the atmosphere of a small crowd, much of that down to the superb Clan fans. However, crowds this season have not been great and this is set to continue this side of Christmas with some of the stupid fixtures we seem to have negotiated (CC on Black Friday, Fife on Boxing Day, etc).

I don't want to turn this into a thread about Voth (we have enough of them), but I feel I should put some context to my comment which has been picked up on.

I feel like I'm giving Voth the benefit of the doubt by saying he's not giving it his all as I've seen him dominate teams at will in the tent and completely control games by hitting regularly and fighting when necessary.

This season he's thrown about 5 hits at home and had 1 fight all year (I'm not counting that scuffle with Clouthier in Hull)

I'm certainly not alone in this view at the tent.

He's either not giving it his all or he's rubbish. The guy still seems to be skating very well and has shown good control of the puck at times as well as scoring some good goals....so I can only assume it's attitude rather than ability.

I'd be amazed if G is telling our guys to go out there and avoid hitting anyone.

In terms of Frank...that kind of hit is unjustifiable an shouldn't be allowed in the game, whether banister was play acting or not has nothing to do with it - the hit still happened. The suspension has to come into place to help deter any more like that from all players.

Just remembered and wanted to say... slightly disappointed at peoples responses to Lyle's testimonial team. A bit disrespectful in my view. I don't really understand why people boo pelle either? because he choose to go to another team for a better opportunity? I don't blame him.

nmase20 said:
Just remembered and wanted to say... slightly disappointed at peoples responses to Lyle's testimonial team. A bit disrespectful in my view. I don't really understand why people boo pelle either? because he choose to go to another team for a better opportunity? I don't blame him.
It wasn’t the move that they were boo'ing it was the goal celebrations which allot of people felt were ott, I personally couldn’t give a toss what he does when he scores but allot of people took it to heart and seem to think he has some sort of loyalty to Cardiff still.