devils sign centre.....

ASHIPP

This is really exciting news. Look at Scott's pedigree and experience......the Finnish and German leagues in particular are regarded amongst some of the best in Europe. :D Scott is a big guy and wait.....look at all those PIMS. Do you think he is capable of looking after himself?! ;)

Well done, G - you've played a blinder.

Welcome to Cardiff, Scott - it's going to be awesome. :cool:

Koop11

This is a very exciting signing. His points tally is very impressive having played in some very good leagues across North America and Europe. At 32 he will have experience as well as talent but not necessarily too old to be phasing out his career.

Well done to Gerad for pulling this one out. I’m really looking forward to seeing our forward lines this forthcoming season. If our last couple of singings on the blueline live up to our forward lines we’ll be looking at a very competitive team this year.

ASHIPP

Gaz G said:
Sliput said:
Also, someone has to say it, so i will :lol: :lol:

Very easy on the eye aswell :lol:
My misses just mentioned that aswell. Fingers crossed he's single so she can go away lol.
Scott is indeed married - sorry, Gaz, you'll have to break the news to Mrs G!

Finny

After the Rod Hinks incident I am a bit wary of everyone the wrong side of 30. However, this guys stats are fantastic and the general feeling from other teams' fans is that he should be one of the best guys in the league.

Most players seem to score at least 50% more in the EIHL than they did in the Danish league - so we could be looking at him scoring 35 goals and nearly 90 points!

2 more signings to be added to what is looking like a very good Devils team this year.

Sounds like an excellent signing despite his age, wins a trophy almost everywhere he goes so lets hope he continues that pattern :D. G and Franny have done a great job so far and i'm sure that will continue with the last 2 imports.

Welcome aboard Matzka!

DevilDom

Looks very good and will hopefully live up to expectations and past performance.

I am however with Finny on this one and will reserve judgement until he has played for a few months. As I stated earlier he is the wrong side of 30 and I get nervous with players who may be considered to be winding down their career given past experiences with the likes of Hinks!

Rempel16

Finny said:
After the Rod Hinks incident I am a bit wary of everyone the wrong side of 30. However, this guys stats are fantastic and the general feeling from other teams' fans is that he should be one of the best guys in the league.

Most players seem to score at least 50% more in the EIHL than they did in the Danish league - so we could be looking at him scoring 35 goals and nearly 90 points!

2 more signings to be added to what is looking like a very good Devils team this year.
I would tend to agree about the wrongs die of 30 comment.... If the guy was 35/36 aka selmser. But 32 is still no age for a hockey player. Think G is the same age

Rempel16 said:
I would tend to agree about the wrongs die of 30 comment.... If the guy was 35/36 aka selmser. But 32 is still no age for a hockey player. Think G is the same age
Great stats and not too old ... are you still claiming that all your signings are cheaper than the rest of the league or has your owner started to splash the cash to ensure the 3 year plan doesn't end in failure?

Finny

James said:
Never underestimate the power of Cardiff Business School
I think that's almost certainly the key here. Matzka has still be playing in some of the top european leagues, but probably realises that in 2 or 3 years time age will start to takes it toll.

So he's been giving the chance to play at a lower level in an english speaking country and get a degree from one of the best Business Schools in the UK.

Possibly one of the most important deals this summer was Cardiff Business School giving us an extra place so that we could sign 4 players on these deals.

When you look at it, we've signed two quality 1st liners in Pelle and Matzka thanks to the Uni deals. It's allowed us to sign MacRae as a 3rd liner whereas most teams would have offered him 2nd line, and Mark Smith would be on most teams 1st D lines whilst he will be on our 2nd.

We've probably saved a couple of £100s in weekly wages thanks to these Uni placements.

Finny said:
So he's been giving the chance to play at a lower level in an english speaking country and get a degree from one of the best Business Schools in the UK.
But wouldn't Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast be offering similar degrees but also bucket loads of money per week whereas you are only paying them peanuts?

osh

J.B said:
Finny said:
But wouldn't Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast be offering similar degrees but also bucket loads of money per week whereas you are only paying them peanuts?

Yes they probably are, but may not have been able to get a 4th business school spot. Also, who's to say he wasn't contacted by any of those sides but decided to come to Cardiff anyway.
Finally, you are assuming those sides were in contact with him. he could easily have been missed on those teams radar and G managed to find out he was available and made the first move. Peanuts you say ( obviously tongue in cheek JB ) no doubt he will be one of our better paid players I would imagine.

Finny

J.B said:
Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast might well be, but I hear things aren't too great financially up in Sheffield at moment.
The thing is though - that none of those have a University with as good a reputation as Cardiff. If he has a choice between one of the top 5 Uni's in Britain and Coventry Polytechnic which hands out degrees for being able to count up to 10 without getting confused by your 11 fingers - there is only going to be one winner.

To enrole on the course themselves would cost tens of thousands of pounds. Much better to do it for free and get paid a couple of hundred pounds less a week.

Finny

osh said:
Finally, you are assuming those sides were in contact with him. he could easily have been missed on those teams radar and G managed to find out he was available and made the first move. Peanuts you say ( obviously tongue in cheek JB ) no doubt he will be one of our better paid players I would imagine.
Very good point. Most EIHL teams look into the ECHL and CHL for players. By the sounds of it G was chatting to a friend of his and recommended his team mate Matzka.
Coventry in particular have a very dodgy record of bringing in new imports from other leagues. Thommo is far happier signing proven EIHL players from other teams - but this then means he has to pay more for it.
Had Coventry signed Fussey or Fulgham before they had joined the EIHL you can be sure he would have been paying them less. After all that is why teams like Edinburgh and Manchester were able to sign them in the first place.

Gaz G

Finny said:
J.B said:
Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast might well be, but I hear things aren't too great financially up in Sheffield at moment.
The thing is though - that none of those have a University with as good a reputation as Cardiff. If he has a choice between one of the top 5 Uni's in Britain and Coventry Polytechnic which hands out degrees for being able to count up to 10 without getting confused by your 11 fingers - there is only going to be one winner.

To enrole on the course themselves would cost tens of thousands of pounds. Much better to do it for free and get paid a couple of hundred pounds less a week.
Hate to argue Finny but what you're saying about university etc is not strictly true, shuff (both of them) and Nottingham are both unfortunately to say, better Uni's than Cardiff.

Finny

Gaz G said:
Hate to argue Finny but what you're saying about university etc is not strictly true, shuff (both of them) and Nottingham are both unfortunately to say, better Uni's than Cardiff.
I was on about the Business School which was ranked 4th in the most recent research.

However, regarding the Universities as a whole, according to the Guardian League Table of Universities, Cardiff is now ranked 46th.

Nottingham Uni isn't used by the Panthers. They use University of Derby (91st), and I believe they may also be starting to use Nottingham Trent (53rd).

Which Uni do Sheffield use? Sheffield Uni is 31st but I thought they used Sheffield Hallam for the actual courses which is ranked 71st.