devils sign centre.....

kettdevil1

Finny said:
Gaz G said:
Hate to argue Finny but what you're saying about university etc is not strictly true, shuff (both of them) and Nottingham are both unfortunately to say, better Uni's than Cardiff.
I was on about the Business School which was ranked 4th in the most recent research.

However, regarding the Universities as a whole, according to the Guardian League Table of Universities, Cardiff is now ranked 46th.

Nottingham Uni isn't used by the Panthers. They use University of Derby (91st), and I believe they may also be starting to use Nottingham Trent (53rd).

Which Uni do Sheffield use? Sheffield Uni is 31st but I thought they used Sheffield Hallam for the actual courses which is ranked 71st.
To be honest I would take the League Tables with a pinch of salt, the methodology is rather suspect.

Cardiff is part of the Russell Group of Universities which are generally considered the top 20 in the country. Whilst Sheffield and Nottingham are both part of the group I really wouldn't rank the two former polys (Hallam and Trent) as being in the same league.

Given the choice most people would choose Cardiff as the most prestigious, indeed I would say that it is one of the better Universities within the Russell Group.

Back on track.... great signing!

It's worth treating newspaper uni tables with a bucket of salt, though. The one you're quoting claims the second-best university in Aberdeen is superior to Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Cardiff and Manchester. :?

Edit: Whoops, too slow.

When discussing uni's the tables might not be wholly accurate, but when somebody from overseas is looking at going to a UK uni what is he going to do? I'd have thought looking at indepently published tables would be one of the most frequent!

Matzka looks to be a great signing, people have mwntioned his age, but I'd rather have someone experienced on the top line with Max. Hopefully Scott will be able to keep him motivated and help Max show his true worth to the team!

Koop11

I have to agree with this. Whilst anyone the wrong side of 30 can be gamble, the experience gained in some very high profile leagues will be massive and I hope brings the best our of Max. Max is arguably the most talented players the Elite League has seen but he does have this habit of gliding along in some games, especially away from home.

We lacked motivation in some games last year and it cost us dearly. Our mental approach and lapses meant us dropping points. Experience and the right attitudes will help combat this and I think this is what Matzka will bring to the squad which has a blend of experience and young blood.

Rempel16

J.B said:
Rempel16 said:
I would tend to agree about the wrongs die of 30 comment.... If the guy was 35/36 aka selmser. But 32 is still no age for a hockey player. Think G is the same age
Great stats and not too old ... are you still claiming that all your signings are cheaper than the rest of the league or has your owner started to splash the cash to ensure the 3 year plan doesn't end in failure?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

J.B, J.B, J.B

I'm disappointed in you. Been waiting you to respond to my post in the other thread. The fact that you blatantly haven't shows that I complete destroyed your claims and that you have no comeback. Your silence spoke volumes about your feelings on the matter.

Now you have the audacity to make a 'trolling' comment looking to provoke a reaction.....

Wasn't going to do it but since you asked.........

Never once have I claimed that ALL our signings are cheaper than the rest of the league so it shows how defeated you are in this debate by feeling the need to resort to lies.

And if you care to re-read the post that I made which destroyed your initial claims then you will notice that Matzka would be compared in wages to your Mr. Fulghum and that they are probably on pretty similar terms.

Like others have said, the uni deal means we have saved a couple of hundred to get him.

And surely, as you clearly have absolutely no knowledge about the topic in hand, overspending on our budget would result in failure of our 3-year plan, the complete opposite of your claim. Why, I hear you ask? Because the main priority of the 3-year plan is to become a self-sustaining business, which we won't achieve if our outgoings are more than our incomings.

Please, feel free to come on and respond to these comments, but bring the truth next time (and please do some research before making ridiculous claims), if not, go back to your own team's forum and debate with your own fans.... Oh wait....

Finny said:
However, regarding the Universities as a whole, according to the Guardian League Table of Universities, Cardiff is now ranked 46th.

Nottingham Uni isn't used by the Panthers. They use University of Derby (91st), and I believe they may also be starting to use Nottingham Trent (53rd).

Which Uni do Sheffield use? Sheffield Uni is 31st but I thought they used Sheffield Hallam for the actual courses which is ranked 71st.
The Uni's thing is an interesting debate. I know Cardiff is slipping down the rankings due to the dissatisfaction of students with regards to teaching, particularly at the Heath, but it's still one of the best for research. Having said that, I've had lecturers there who are amazing at what they know, but should never in a million years be put in front of a lecture theatre! :evil: I can understand why many across the board are dissatisfied, that's for sure.

I think Sheffield use both Sheffield Uni's depending on how educated the player is and what they want to study. Most of the courses are at the Uni, plus I can't see why we'd have them as a leading sponsor if we weren't going to rinse them for places?! I know a couple of years ago Sarich couldn't take a place because he wasn't degree educated and we didn't have the set up with Hallam for a course there. However, apparently last year Talbot had a 1 year course at Hallam.

Derby Uni on the other hand...:lol:

Jones72

Finny said:
If he has a choice between one of the top 5 Uni's in Britain and Coventry Polytechnic which hands out degrees for being able to count up to 10 without getting confused by your 11 fingers - there is only going to be one winner.

PMSL almost as much as watching Jeremy Clarkson in a Reliant Robin last night.

:lol:

ASHIPP

J.B said:
Finny said:
So he's been giving the chance to play at a lower level in an english speaking country and get a degree from one of the best Business Schools in the UK.
But wouldn't Sheffield, Nottingham, Coventry and Belfast be offering similar degrees but also bucket loads of money per week whereas you are only paying them peanuts?
And if that's true, J.B., it makes it all the more admirable that Scott has chosen Cardiff over those other cities! Must be other reasons why he has chosen to come here - but as you say, it can't be the weather and we don't have any recent cups! :lol:

ASHIPP

Koop11 said:
I have to agree with this. Whilst anyone the wrong side of 30 can be gamble, the experience gained in some very high profile leagues will be massive and I hope brings the best our of Max. Max is arguably the most talented players the Elite League has seen but he does have this habit of gliding along in some games, especially away from home.

We lacked motivation in some games last year and it cost us dearly. Our mental approach and lapses meant us dropping points. Experience and the right attitudes will help combat this and I think this is what Matzka will bring to the squad which has a blend of experience and young blood.
And the overwhelming pattern in G's recruitment this year is that all the new players on the team have had experience of being on winning teams in the past - championships, playoffs etc. and are positive and passionate individuals. Sounds like the basis of a highly competitive, tight knit team to me! :cool: From what has been said of Scott and Jon, their attitude, if not their skill and work ethic, will help revive Max's game.

Wannabe2

This is truelly a awesome signing, well played again G, and a very warm welcome to Scott who will certainly enjoy his stay in Cardiff as every past player has. The Devils team is looking very very good at the moment, and i am sure we will have a lot to be happy about come face off time.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Rempel16 said:
Finny said:
After the Rod Hinks incident I am a bit wary of everyone the wrong side of 30. However, this guys stats are fantastic and the general feeling from other teams' fans is that he should be one of the best guys in the league.

Most players seem to score at least 50% more in the EIHL than they did in the Danish league - so we could be looking at him scoring 35 goals and nearly 90 points!

2 more signings to be added to what is looking like a very good Devils team this year.
I would tend to agree about the wrongs die of 30 comment.... If the guy was 35/36 aka selmser. But 32 is still no age for a hockey player. Think G is the same age
It does not matter what age a player is.. If he's still good enough then he should be on the ice, look at Tony Hand and even Ed Courtenay..

Good signing for the Devils.. Should be among the top scorers next season for sure..

Martynwo

"Good Player" was the comment I had, and coming from the person who said it, that is a glowing reference ;) , he was impressed we signed such a quality player.