Devils fans don't turn!!!!!!

jwave

Thread starter #22
Twinkle said:
jwave said:
Twinkle: I was just stating that I think fans should be behind their team all the time whether they are flying high or struggling to find their rear end with both hands.
I don't think that "the old newspaper trick" or any other dig would do anything other than dishearten the team.

That is just my opinion mind and not a new law :lol:
Oh, i know what you were saying, thing is, you said it in a reasonable polite way ..perfect way to respond.

What i dont want is people to come on here with their noses stuck firmly in the air abusing other posters, which lets face it seems to be happening a lot lately :(
I agree Twinkle, this place can be a fun read as people get so worked up and dare I say it abusive, :?: . Things then run off on all sorts of different tangents.
I normaly tend to float around in the back ground read the posts and do not put too many posts on for that very reason. ;)

Bottom line, i'm a Devils fan come rain or shine and support them when they are are on record breaking runs or are playing like they have the runs :lol:

Some of the guys who were there last night just felt they were getting flack for the actions of a very small minority (mostly paper boys by the sound of it :lol: :lol: :lol: , that was only a joke before any one gets all twisted) They asked me start the thread to let the readers know not everyone was shunning the Devils.

And on that note think I'll fade away into the background again now before the key board crew :twisted: start off again.
take care all.
Remember the Devils are for life not just for christmas,

TheStub

You can also throw into the mix - Ben leaving, or even New Jersey turning the corner. All happened about the same time.

Could be a "bump" and then a need to regain the confidence. I can't see how us buying the Steelers has effected the on ice product - same players, same coach, same rink, same fans. That is just an arbitrary date.

I prefer my "New Jersey and Cardiff share a common pot of success" idea. Since NJ became the hottest team in the league, the Cardiff Devils have slumped. Mind you, I'm happy as long as one of my teams are winning :D

Quote:You've got a pretty high standard here and I like that," Babcock said, following a short-but-tough Saturday practice at Joe Louis Arena. "You don't play good, you should get booed. When people pay their money, they expect you to work hard."

That's especially true in Detroit, where working-class sports fans expect their favorite teams to be as hard-nosed as they are.

"I consider us a blue-collar town and I consider our fans to be knowledgeable and expect us to compete hard," Babcock said. "We've lost many games over the years that I've been here, and if you play hard … it's not a big deal to them. You don't play hard, they should boo you. And we earned the right to be booed the last couple outings here. That's what fans are supposed to do."

Just to put it in perspective
(nod to gav KOTG)

Finny

TheStub said:
I prefer my "New Jersey and Cardiff share a common pot of success" idea. Since NJ became the hottest team in the league, the Cardiff Devils have slumped. Mind you, I'm happy as long as one of my teams are winning :D
I was saying something very similar to Gazza on Saturday but with Cardiff City and Cardiff Devils.

The City had a fantastic start to the season and stormed to the top of the league, whilst the Devils were a bit inconsistent. Then in November the Devils started their amazing winning run whilst the City lost to Swansea and had a terrible couple of months.
Mid January and the Devils eventually lose whilst the City have got back on the winning track.

Kipper

osh said:
Kipper said:
So some of the fans are hurt and upset about what has been written about them on MNL etc. Perhaps they will now have an understanding of how players may feel when they are slagged off on the very same platforms by those that offer an opinion whether it is educated,justified, guesswork or complete fabrication.It works both ways.

Can't agree with you on this one Kipper. Some of the fans you say. My son went to the game on Friday and took along a couple of his mates ( first away game ever) and it was a complete shambles, although he did at least stay till the end ( I think some may have protested by leaving early, entirely their choice) But they had every right to be angry with a below par performance and everyone has a right to voice their opinion. The difference is the fans pay hard earned money to support their team, the team get paid and didn't earn their money on the night! You seem to be suggesting that fans comments are not true (fabricated) made up (Guesswork), who deems a post educated, you ? It won't stop my son going on Wednesday by the way, but he sincerely hopes to see a better effort than he did on Friday, and I feel for those fans that made the weekend trip and didn't feel the team gave their all.
That's fine Osh, it would be boring if we all had the same opinion.My points about fabrication and guesswork were related to comments about G having lost the team;there being splits in the locker room etc.From my knowledge this couldn't be further from the truth.This is a group of guys who work very hard and hold each other accountable.In my years of following hockey, I have never seen such quality and commitment in their training sessions.If we are not to be successful this season then it certainly won't be through lack of effort.Whenever we have had a bad result in the past,it has always led to a plethora of conspiracy theories but often it is nothing more than the fact that no team can play at the highest level in every game.Who would have thought Man Utd would have lost to Wolves the other week for example.

My frustration/annoyance comes from people getting over-excited over one bad defeat-often the same people who were eulogising the team during their great unbeaten run.This happens in all sports from time to time.Everybody has a bad day at the office occasionally.

I can also understand the frustration of the fans who paid to go on the Scottish trip and were disappointed by the performance.I have been on enough Scottish trips in the past following inept Wales rugby teams to know how they feel.It is just a question of how you show your support or disappointment in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

So we haven't been playing so well of late, the players are human! Sometimes teams lose, no matter how good they are. What on earth our recent performances have got to do with Ragan taking over the Steelers I don't know :?

I wasn't at the game Friday but the result obviously hurt and hurt bad, as it would any Devils fans. I didn't have to be at the game to know we were poor. The result told me that. You don't lose 7-1 to a mid table side and play well, sorry.
Also, many fans wouldn't of been at the game Friday for various reasons. Does that then mean they can't have an opinion or slate the side for a bad performance? Praise them when they do well, slate them when they don't. Simple really. The players would surely expect that.

All teams lose but if were going to go down, go down fighting. Especially when the league is there to win!

jwave

Thread starter #28
Praise them when they do well, slate them when they don't. Simple really .
I fully appreciate that is your opinion Zed but have you considered the effect that has on the team moral.
Now i'm no proffesional sports man :roll: but iv'e been involved in team ethics for most of my 40 odd years. If the team have played/performed badly or are playing badly on a regular basis they know it, they know it all too well. Having their fan base turn on them is only going to have a negative effect on the performance.

Now if you ment slate them amongst your mates and fellow hockey fans,.......... what ever floats your boat, thats up to you.

However, IMHO to give on mass public displays of disapointment/anger just before a face off will only serve to demoralise the team and hey presto
:arrow: another poor performance. Bit of a catch 22 eh. :eek:
Get behind the lads prior to and during every game and it can only lift the team.The players would surely expect that too I reckon.
;) Like I say just an opinion.

jwave said:
I fully appreciate that is your opinion Zed but have you considered the effect that has on the team moral.
Now i'm no proffesional sports man :roll: but iv'e been involved in team ethics for most of my 40 odd years. If the team have played/performed badly or are playing badly on a regular basis they know it, they know it all too well. Having their fan base turn on them is only going to have a negative effect on the performance.

Now if you ment slate them amongst your mates and fellow hockey fans,.......... what ever floats your boat, thats up to you.

However, IMHO to give on mass public displays of disapointment/anger just before a face off will only serve to demoralise the team and hey presto
Get behind the lads prior to and during every game and it can only lift the team.The players would surely expect that too I reckon.

Thought you were going off to do your christmas list?

drainage

as a fan who made the trip I have the following comments

The fans that left early on Friday did so because the coach had to go at 945pm .... it was either that or pay for a taxi and there were kids on the bus

Yes some fans were reading a paper when the team came out yesterday to express their annoyance.... anyone who watched what we watched on Friday would understand the amount of fury that those fans felt. It was by a country mile the poorest showing in a long long time

As fans we pay to watch the team .... we are therefore entitled to an opinion - all of us

That said after the "protest" the team were fully supported and cheered.

Its not about who is right or wrong its about accepting we all have opinions and allowing others to express them.

My only view is we paid a lot and travelled a lot .... it feels worse to watch rubbish when you do that trust me

That said it was a brilliant weekend, cracking company , great laughs and at the end of the day was I glad I went - YEAP

jwave

Thread starter #31
Budgie said:
jwave said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHOOOOOOO!!! What can I say.......on line shopping makes life easy nowardays ;) ;) ;) ;)

drainage said:

The fans that left early on Friday did so because the coach had to go at 945pm .... it was either that or pay for a taxi and there were kids on the bus

Yes some fans were reading a paper when the team came out yesterday to express their annoyance.... anyone who watched what we watched on Friday would understand the amount of fury that those fans felt. It was by a country mile the poorest showing in a long long time

As fans we pay to watch the team .... we are therefore entitled to an opinion - all of us

Its not about who is right or wrong its about accepting we all have opinions and allowing others to express them.

My only view is we paid a lot and travelled a lot .... it feels worse to watch rubbish when you do that trust me

That said it was a brilliant weekend, cracking company , great laughs and at the end of the day was I glad I went - YEAP

Spot on, Wish I had been there myself, especially with the added bonus of the rugby :)

DevilDom

drainage said:

Here here. I can't believe so much has been made about such a minor show of annoyance by fans that had spent a small fortune getting there and travelled 10 hours on coach to support the team. The incident didn't last for more than 10 seconds and even the players were laughing. It certainly wasn't a bad tempered affair. With the regards the game, from my point of view it was probably the worst performance I have seen from a Devils team in my 4 years of watching. It wasn't so much the loss but the fact the players appeared to give up fairly early in the game and accept defeat. Anyway as has been said, we all show our disappointment in different ways.

Thought you were going off to do your christmas list?[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WHOOOOOOO!!! What can I say.......on line shopping makes life easy nowardays ;) ;) ;) ;)[/quote]

You 40+ year olds need to take it easy ready to catch your breath for Wednesday night

jwave

Thread starter #35
Budgie said:
WHOOOOOOO!!! What can I say.......on line shopping makes life easy nowardays ;) ;) ;) ;)[/quote]

You 40+ year olds need to take it easy ready to catch your breath for Wednesday night[/quote]Pleanty of breath left in me mate ;)

jwave said:
Budgie said:
WHOOOOOOO!!! What can I say.......on line shopping makes life easy nowardays ;) ;) ;) ;)
You 40+ year olds need to take it easy ready to catch your breath for Wednesday night[/quote]Pleanty of breath left in me mate ;)[/quote]

I consider 1965 a very good year, unfortunatly the wine was rubbish that season!

drainage

DevilDom said:
drainage said:

Here here. I can't believe so much has been made about such a minor show of annoyance by fans that had spent a small fortune getting there and travelled 10 hours on coach to support the team. The incident didn't last for more than 10 seconds and even the players were laughing. It certainly wasn't a bad tempered affair. With the regards the game, from my point of view it was probably the worst performance I have seen from a Devils team in my 4 years of watching. It wasn't so much the loss but the fact the players appeared to give up fairly early in the game and accept defeat. Anyway as has been said, we all show our disappointment in different ways.
Mr DevilDom - agree seems there was a lot of noise made about something and nothing !! Most people havent asked why we were so annoyed - it was as you state a team that probably put 10 mins effort in before sinking without a trace. But ignoring the game Friday we had a blast !!!

wildthing74

Can't believe how this has got out of hand.The Devils team had full support during both games at the weekend and can honestly say the fans got behind them 100%.
The paper incident was suggested by somebody on the bus as a bit of a joke for when the players came out and lasted for maybe 10 seconds.The players laughed and got on with the game.
I do have to say that anybody that saw Fridays performance was disappointed by the seemingly lack of passion by the team.In sport you win,you lose hey thats fair enough but the fans deserved a team that were trying and I'm not convinced many on that team that night were.
As for the fans leaving early bit this was thrown on us about halfway through the game that the coach driver would be leaving at 9.45 sharp even thought it had been earlier suggested it would be around 11ish.An issue with his hours arose and this had to be changed.Approx 20 fans including me and my young children were among those that chose to take the coach and woul have had to regardless of the score.The arena is in a massive mall and there was a long walk back to the pick up point and no way did I want to pay for a taxi and not properly knowing where to go.
As been said it was a great weekend with great fans who for whatever has been said through chinese whispers supported the team for 120 mins of hockey action all weekend.

Finny

I'll probably regret posting this.....but......

does anyone find it rather odd that it's ok to criticise and slate the players on the forum. But as soon as people question the actions of fans - then that is totally out of order?

Why?
And that is a genuine question. I just hope I have worded it correctly.

I agree, originally we were told we had till at least 11.00pm to leave, then we were told the coach had to leave at 9.45 which meant we had to leave before the game ended. For those who haven't been to Braehead Arena it is not a short walk.

It was bad enough being jeered by the Braehead fans who thought we were leaving because of the score, but to be villified by some Devils fans who were at home and assumed we were leaving because of the score (and even if we were so what) was unjust and unfair. I just wish sometimes people would engage their brains before opening their mouths (or keyboards)