Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All teams 2015/16

Gaz G

Re: Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All teams 2015/

Nott Simpson said:
I agree with the last two postings. I also thought that the EIHL had moved away from being a "Bush League".

I can never understand how some Devils fans are so keen on fighting and enforcers.

May I suggest they read "Boy on Ice" by John Branch that deals admirably with the life and death of DEREK BOOGAARD who died in 2011 after a career as an enforcer. His 277 games in the NHL principally with Minnesota Wild and NY Rangers saw him take on allcomers.

Legal battles with the NHL are ongoing and whilst the NHL can live with multi million pound lawsuits it would sink the EIHL without trace. Failure bt referees to protect players could be sufficient grounds for action.

A number of player who fought Boogaard have played in the UK including a former Devil - Rob Davison.

OJ
Sorry but I completely disagree.

It's an honest game and the guys who fight know their roll. It is their choice not ours. They get paid a damn site more money than the average Joe.

Granted, there have been a few unfortunate circumstances over the last couple of years but that comes down to far more things than the players roll. It comes down to off ice support.

If you have watched "The Last Gladiators" you will see a perfect example in Chris Nilan.

I like the fighting aspect as again, suggested in the above documentary 19,999 people out of the 20,000 in the stand have at some stage wanted to "punch someone in the mouth" and the enforcers get to do that and look after their friends.

I don't for one minute think 1 signing makes our league a "bush league" and completely agree that the signing is good for the league. It adds exposure to a growing league which can't be a bad thing, it adds another NHL player to the list who have played over here. Word of mouth is a wonderful thing.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him make an impact.

All i will say is that with the "Goon factor" being ramped up quite a few notches for the coming season i hope that the refs and dops are up to the challenge otherwise there could be carnage. There could be quite a few major collisions in our little tent. Extra imports could play a vital role this year. Those of a nervous disposition look away now!!!!!

Mooney#16

This league is more than capable of shooting itself in the foot without Cam Janssan's help so I don't think he's a bad signing for the league as a whole.

If he gets where his career is now and what league he is playing in and that his role is to play strong physical hockey and prove he is capable of putting up some points and not just doing the dirty work to get a roster spot then he could be a devastating player to stop. He can skate well, he can hit hard, his conditioning is great. If Corey can exercise some control and get him to play a hockey role he could do very well.

My big question mark would be Corey. He never seems to have a great buy in from his players and set roles laid out well to his players for them to execute. If he mis handles Janssen it could all go spectacularly wrong.

pjj365

Gaz G said:
Nott Simpson said:
I agree with the last two postings. I also thought that the EIHL had moved away from being a "Bush League".

I can never understand how some Devils fans are so keen on fighting and enforcers.

May I suggest they read "Boy on Ice" by John Branch that deals admirably with the life and death of DEREK BOOGAARD who died in 2011 after a career as an enforcer. His 277 games in the NHL principally with Minnesota Wild and NY Rangers saw him take on allcomers.

Legal battles with the NHL are ongoing and whilst the NHL can live with multi million pound lawsuits it would sink the EIHL without trace. Failure bt referees to protect players could be sufficient grounds for action.

A number of player who fought Boogaard have played in the UK including a former Devil - Rob Davison.
Soory some points

OJ
Sorry but I completely disagree.

It's an honest game and the guys who fight know their roll. It is their choice not ours. They get paid a damn site more money than the average Joe.

Granted, there have been a few unfortunate circumstances over the last couple of years but that comes down to far more things than the players roll. It comes down to off ice support.

If you have watched "The Last Gladiators" you will see a perfect example in Chris Nilan.

I like the fighting aspect as again, suggested in the above documentary 19,999 people out of the 20,000 in the stand have at some stage wanted to "punch someone in the mouth" and the enforcers get to do that and look after their friends.

I don't for one minute think 1 signing makes our league a "bush league" and completely agree that the signing is good for the league. It adds exposure to a growing league which can't be a bad thing, it adds another NHL player to the list who have played over here. Word of mouth is a wonderful thing.

I wouldn't be suprised to see him make an impact.
It may be the players choice to perform the role but it is team based and you just have to read a recent profile of Fitz and his wife to understand the why and the consequences - sorry can't remember the source

It was undoubted that enforcers (with of course aggitators) had a role in a game even though they were off the ice a lot of the time - see Bernstein's The Code but this approach seems to be in decline. One interesting aspect of the Code is that equals fight equals. Does this "opportunity" exist in the EIHL

As for a few unfortunate circumstances - sorry just read NHL history of enforcers and the litigation since 2000 against coaches as well as enforcers. It may be a few in the context of all players but still not insignificant. Also if you read the facts and figuers in Fighting the Good Fight gates increase without enforcers - and don't forget they tend to be rested for playoffs Ask if they add value why this is

And the enforcers get to punch some one - sanctioned violence on the sport field - so wrong. Compare Rugby and NFL which are designed for hard physical contact. Players would not dare punch anyone

I agree 1 signing does not create a bush league but how can an improving league celebrate a signing which goes against the ethos of many better leagues throughout the world

Finally let me be clear this is not an anti fight rant it is a rant against enforcers whose stated aim is to hurt people - this is so wrong on so many levels

Let's hope those welcoming this signing are not bemoaing the hospitalisation of one of our team or even the ending of a career - not emotion this but detail culled from off-season reading on the role and impact of enforcers in the "old" NHL

I know those of us against enforcers wil not win the argument but I find it so sad to see them supported

Koop11

I think the league lacks antagonisers and called me old fashioned but I still enjoy that type of player. I enjoy a big hitting winger who is not afraid to drop the gloves.

I certainly don’t condone dangerous plays and I would hope of Janssen or any other player doesn’t act is such a way. All players have a responsibility for safety and we have DOPS (inconsistent or not) in place to help eliminate dangerous plays.

Someone has already mentioned, had we had signed McGratton which was rumoured all summer, would fans still be saying the same thing? I’m not so sure.

This is a big name arriving in our league. It will help raise the profile. I think this league has the right blend of toughness and skill. The signing of a 300+ game NHLer does not make us a bush league. Quite the opposite.

pjj365

Koop11 said:
I think the league lacks antagonisers and called me old fashioned but I still enjoy that type of player. I enjoy a big hitting winger who is not afraid to drop the gloves.

I certainly don’t condone dangerous plays and I would hope of Janssen or any other player doesn’t act is such a way. All players have a responsibility for safety and we have DOPS (inconsistent or not) in place to help eliminate dangerous plays.

Someone has already mentioned, had we had signed McGratton which was rumoured all summer, would fans still be saying the same thing? I’m not so sure.

This is a big name arriving in our league. It will help raise the profile. I think this league has the right blend of toughness and skill. The signing of a 300+ game NHLer does not make us a bush league. Quite the opposite.
I sort of agree and I also enjoy a big hitter who will drop the gloves

BUT Janssen is quoted as saying his role is to hurt people - that I do not enjoy or celebrate.

Would we say the same about McGratton - some of us would as it would have devalued a good blend of skilled players a number of whom can drop the gloves - Salters anyone?

Does 1 signing make EIHL a bush league - of course not

Devil_Abroad

pjj365 said:
Koop11 said:

I sort of agree and I also enjoy a big hitter who will drop the gloves

BUT Janssen is quoted as saying his role is to hurt people - that I do not enjoy or celebrate.

Would we say the same about McGratton - some of us would as it would have devalued a good blend of skilled players a number of whom can drop the gloves - Salters anyone?

Does 1 signing make EIHL a bush league - of course not
agree, there's no place in the game for those who think they're there to hurt others - don't we call them goons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketbob

If we signed McMorrow, now that would make us a bush league.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

august04

rocketbob said:
If we signed McMorrow, now that would make us a bush league.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
In terms of hockey playing ability, there's not much difference. McMorrow was a far better fighter but not a player whose stated aim is to hurt people. I would have loved McGratton here but the difference is he can play the game as well as being the top enforcer in the NHL. I would hate the league to go down the route of signing cheapshot headhunters (difference between these and enforcers who can play too) with nothing else to offer, who can't get a job anywhere else, even if they have NHL experience.

Koop11

You have to be able to play the game at a very reasonable level to play in the NHL. That for me cannot be disputed. There are far tougher guys than Janssen who don’t get anywhere close to the NHL. 300+ games over several years means he can skate at that level, albeit with quite a defined role. The game cannot be measured simply by point production. Many impact players do not score many points but if they can play a fore checking role, enforce, draw penalties, etc, then they are contributing.

I don’t agree with his self proclaimed role is to hurt people. That is an attitude that is certainly not welcome in the sport. If in reality his role is to antagonize, have defencemen looking over the shoulder when the puck his dumped in deep, and to enforce, then that role I feel is still very much needed in the game.

To have a well known player, for good or bad, who has played consistently at the highest level come here and raise the profile of the league is a good thing.

pjj365

Koop11 said:
You have to be able to play the game at a very reasonable level to play in the NHL. That for me cannot be disputed. There are far tougher guys than Janssen who don’t get anywhere close to the NHL. 300+ games over several years means he can skate at that level, albeit with quite a defined role. The game cannot be measured simply by point production. Many impact players do not score many points but if they can play a fore checking role, enforce, draw penalties, etc, then they are contributing.

I don’t agree with his self proclaimed role is to hurt people. That is an attitude that is certainly not welcome in the sport. If in reality his role is to antagonize, have defencemen looking over the shoulder when the puck his dumped in deep, and to enforce, then that role I feel is still very much needed in the game.

To have a well known player, for good or bad, who has played consistently at the highest level come here and raise the profile of the league is a good thing.
The quote is from Janssen himself according to Chasing Dragons. His second stated objective to put the fear of god in players matches your looking over shoulder comment and that I get and accept as part of the game

Wannabe2

Perhaps once he found out Cardiff were the best team in the league, he couldn't be bothered. :lol: