Conboy. Ok.... here goes

helloimclaire said:
Even though Conboy has had all of the game and match penalties already given to him, never mind this 6 game ban now added to the list. I still got this gut feeling that if we do keep him (which I hope we do) he'll show everyone what he really is about. Considering he's hardly been on the ice, he does have one goal to his name this season! ;)

He's got to keep a cool head, not to get chucked out all the time and stand up for his team mates at the right time. I know it seems impossible right now, but I hope he can prove to us all that he is a player we need on the team before it's too late.

#teamconboy
Really cant see it happening, he said sorry for his actions in the esjberg game and now hes gone and done this. Time for G to do an alan sugar and say 'your fired'

Skippy

I'd really like to see the footage on this one.

I agree following a lino spouting off isn't clever. But I've seen everything from punching,slashing, checking and a trip that lead to a bump suggested.

I hope the club gives Conboy the chance to show us what he can do. Still honestly think he could be the new franchise guy we've needed.

Not here to defend him but I do think we're weaker without him.
Lucky we didn't pick up injuries in the Panthers game as they took advantage. Not so sure it would've been the same story with Conboy on the ice.

Don't see how people can slate him for this latest incident without seeing any footage first though.
Hopefully he's back after his ban and plays some decent hockey for us!

Did anyone see Conboy at the rink on Sunday? The ban would ban him from dressing room and ice but not arena so you would expect him to be there I would have thought.. Saw La Costa but no Conboy myself...

Wannabe2

I seen him there, I also hope we keep him, from what I have heard the dundee incident was accidental but he needs to realise he is a marked man and play accordingly just like Ware, Macwilliam, and Voth.

It is what it is. 6 games, one of which is already served.

It will be interesting to see if the Ivory Towers are consistent with their disciplinary adjudications this season. There are some truly incredulous decisions made in recent history by the Ivory Towers.

On past history, one could reasonably argue that that is never going to happen, but in just the same way that Ivory Towers want the chance to show they are different from that which went before, I believe Conboy should be given a last chance to prove what he can do when he is on the ice.

I agree that he is a marked man - the zebras in the UK are too clueless to know any better. It seems to be the pattern now that referees will do what they can to try and even out the penalty count in a game, so as to avoid allegations of favouritism. I Just wish they would call the game that happens in front of them, not the game they see in their own little dream world

jimmy snels

Personally I think he's lucky it wasn't longer.

He has let everyone down. This ban for nothing led to saunders and Henley playing up on sunday and resuled in our best dman having to fight a much bigger guy and taken on all night. Conboy should have been there stepping in and removing him from the game whilst leaving our d in tact.

Also ben takes a butt ending (and I would say a checks from behind) which injured him and who's his line mate to stand up for him? Conboy who's upstairs havin a prawn sandwich.

Time for conboy to start playing. Fight when necessary. Not give away daft slashing calls etc. DO YOUR JOB!

Mooney#16

I defended the guy much to people's annoyance after the head butt but going for an official falls outside what I could justify as within the game. But he's going to serve the ban and that would hopefully see an end to it. As I said to people Sunday I just get this feeling Conboy will have a moment of redemption in the fans eyes at some point. Probably involving Olsen in some way. A lot of the other penalties I think it's hard to lay it all at his door. G and Franny have asked him to set a tone for the team early and he has made oppositions answer and think twice. How much coaching input to his actions you never quite know unless your on the bench but I doubt all those have been unilateral decisions. The guy is a live wire. It helps you play that style. The flow of a season sees the fighting and physicality tail off the deeper you go but a lot of this is early season posturing by the big dogs. Keep him around and second half of season with his hitting and forechecking ability he will be a key offensive threat. Just look what Salters did for Panthers Sunday.

osh

Would agree he is lucky to only get 6 games, lets not forget just how lucky he was to only get 1 game for his head butting incident. I would hope that both Franny and G will have been looking to see who is out there as a possible replacement if and when ( or when and if ) he does something stupid again. I think Salters showed is on Sunday just how the role of a tough guy can be deployed. Didn't like some of the stuff he did, but he did what he had to do when necessary and certainly had the win over Plumton in their fight ( huge respect for Plumton not backing down also)

This has to be the very last chance saloon for Mr Conboy !

Mooney#16

Sorry that was what I was trying to get at. Salters put in a very powerful display and showed exactly what power forward play is all about. He softened up the D and had all there heads up and when he took Mac to the bin on a coincidental from throwing a big hit you had to congratulate the guy. That is what Conboy if he can get a bit more gamesmanship about him can bring for the Devils hence I'm not in the gas him club just yet.

Mooney#16 said:
Sorry that was what I was trying to get at. Salters put in a very powerful display and showed exactly what power forward play is all about. He softened up the D and had all there heads up and when he took Mac to the bin on a coincidental from throwing a big hit you had to congratulate the guy. That is what Conboy if he can get a bit more gamesmanship about him can bring for the Devils hence I'm not in the gas him club just yet.
HERE HERE!

DevilDom

Personally I would like to see us stick by Conboy and give him more of a chance to get used to the officiating over here and prove what he is really capable of.

Yes he has done sone stupid things and yes it can't go on however my gut feeling (and it is only that as I haven't seen the incident) is that he has been unlucky with the incident in Dundee and his reputation has gone before him. I will give him the benefit of the doubt one more time anyway.

I think he has the potential to be that tough power forward we all crave once he settles down concentrates on playing hockey and sticking up for his teamates in the right way.

Koop11

I don’t agree with the calls to gas Conboy. If we had done that every time Voth had a suspension then he wouldn’t have last more than a season or two. I think Conboy might have something to offer the club. Time will tell but he has the opportunity to redeem himself and show indecisive fans why he’s played at the level he has.

He needs to cut out the stupid stuff (head butt, apparently making contact with the official deliberately) but for me two of the game penalties he received that were very harsh (rag dolling Keefe and a dubious hit on Edders).

We all moaned last year that we had no protection. This guy can offer than but yes, in a more controlled manner.

DevilDom

The Walesonline report about the potential return of LaCosta this weekend seems to suggest that Conboy was unlucky with the contact made with the linesman.

It would be nice if we could all see the video evidence used to convict him but I guess that would mean the Elite League were trying to be open and transparent!

Wagstaff

Mooney#16 said:
As I said to people Sunday I just get this feeling Conboy will have a moment of redemption in the fans eyes at some point. Probably involving Olsen in some way.
Is this not part of the problem with the lad that the fans want his defining moment to be something outside of the hockey, Olson and Harvey wanted nothing to do with Keefe and we came away with a big win, Conboy was lured into the Keefe mischief and it had an impact on your result.
Tell him to put in the hard hits, keep his gloves on and humiliate the thugs who want to draw him in, use his head for the good of the team and put a hatfull past every nettie that isnt wearing a Devils shirt........ for a while at least!
Im sure points are the most important thing for the team at the moment not fight cards!

Earnie

Well it looks like most of us want to keep Convoy. Me too.
Maybe he can spend the spare time attending a couple of brain control classes and come out a little smarter?