Change in Import Rules for EIHL & other assorted crap

Have Hope#35

Re: Rumoured change in Import Rules for EIHL

James said:
Are we not expecting Wembley and Telford to join in at some point ?
And if we do get those extra teams in the league then there will be no positive or negative effect on GB Hockey as two new teams would mean a requirement for in the region of 16 additional GB Skaters... That's the two per team that may be lost by 2016!

Temme

As someone who goes down to the rink to get my fix of hockey, I can only see benefit in this.

Higher standard of hockey, more exciting players.

However it is a rather negative move, and worrying is how they have already agreed to increased the limit AGAIN next season.

Still, looking forward to the new year :)

Mooney#16

In 2016-2017 with an "Import" Limit of 14 each team will only have to run with two active Brits to fill three lines. In short the available spaces have be cut. The playing situations these players will be exposed to will dwindle and the Brits will once again be third line cloggers like the ISL. They will not improve in this scenario. They will not develop the skill set to compete at world class level and the GB team will not improve. National exposure of the sport will not increase. Funding will not increase. The league will stagnate. Spectator numbers will fall and the league will falter. Short term riches lead to long term ruin. If I was an active Brit now I'd be hanging my skates up. They just got shafted royally up the wrong un.

dave

It needed something else to be a move you could see. Making a full bench a requirement and like some of the better leagues running full 4 lines. It is one of gb's undoings.when playing against nations who play fast four line hockey. I would have even made an under 21 line mandatory like another league. So fast hockey , development at right age for home nationals. By 21 the ones that would have worked harder etc would then gain roster space on merit and maybe even before 21... But the way the epl is set up as well etc the wage demands of Brits will still see a lot head there especially if from that area...

Sheincar

Temme said:
As someone who goes down to the rink to get my fix of hockey, I can only see benefit in this.

However it is a rather negative move, and worrying is how they have already agreed to increased the limit AGAIN next season.

Why do you think that this will mean a higher standard of hockey? Did we have a higher standard with our league of nations team?

wildthing74

Mooney#16 said:
In 2016-2017 with an "Import" Limit of 14 each team will only have to run with two active Brits to fill three lines. In short the available spaces have be cut. The playing situations these players will be exposed to will dwindle and the Brits will once again be third line cloggers like the ISL. They will not improve in this scenario. They will not develop the skill set to compete at world class level and the GB team will not improve. National exposure of the sport will not increase. Funding will not increase. The league will stagnate. Spectator numbers will fall and the league will falter. Short term riches lead to long term ruin. If I was an active Brit now I'd be hanging my skates up. They just got shafted royally up the wrong un.
Spot on! Been pretty much rambling the same myself all day.

Temme

Sheincar said:
Temme said:

Why do you think that this will mean a higher standard of hockey? Did we have a higher standard with our league of nations team?

Because top british players cannot command such high wages now, as they become slightly less important to teams,

The standard of British player pretty much lies with David Clarke & Robert Dowd.

However with extra import slots, it is possible for better imports to be attracted to the league.

Just my opinion of course, i appreciate that an argument could be made for these big-buck brits to command an even higher wage, or just bin the elite league altogether and head overseas.

Chris

Administrator
Re: Change in Import Rules for EIHL

Mooney#16 said:
And the death sentance of GB hockey has just been handed down. Utter madness. The EIHL should hang their head at what they have done to the kids of this country as far as this sport is concerned. Appalling decision that is motivated by nothing other than money. I'm glad I boycott the play offs now as everyone of them doesn't deserve a penny from this sport. Reckless and short sighted.

Shocking. Just absolutely shocking call.
Just wondering if your boycott will extend to the Devils next season, along with every other team in the league? Seeing as how it appears to have been voted in unanimously...

For what it's worth, I don't actually think this is all that bad a move. If the players are good enough they'll still find a way to the EIHL like Finny has said, and if they're not good enough they can head back to the EPL much like what already happens.

If the Brits can no longer demand huge wages because of the import limit then they might become cheaper making them an attractive option instead of paying for ITCs, housing, flights etc etc for imports, even European ones?

Ocko

As much as it is nice to get an artificially higher standard, IMO it is still better to see good British players like Ben, Richie, et al make the grade and represent the club rather than some random foreigner who had to google the club to find out who and where we actually are. Some players embrace the club like Blight, Vother etc which makes them different but the majority are here for the $ (deliberately not put £ :lol: )

Mooney#16

Honestly I want to support my local team and don't want it to suffer anymore than it has but this move out weighs any of Ragans minor scurmishes. This absolutely smashes the kids of this country square in the nuts. I am sorely tempted to boycott everything EIHL related right now.

Point 1. Pay the Brits a going wage or they don't move leagues etc. They quit the sport. You will have the best of whats left not the best of the best. The Brits need a wage to live on and bring up a family on. A career wage or they have to hang them up. Simple as.

Point 2. Players need to have a scope of skills to peice together a team. You need shooters, passers, hitters etc. This move will make every Brit a third line lane clogger with no experience or specialty teams situations, prolonged offensive zone pressure etc. You have guys who can take a point man. Hit him a bit block his lane and thats about it then back to the bench to let the imports play the glamour game. They cannot then all of a sudden learn all those skills for GB when they meet up and go and perform to a world class level. They may make it but they will be one dimensional players of limited ability.

The future of the sport in this country is inter linked with the fortunes of the GB squad. That suffers the game suffers. This decision has just slapped a massive road block infront of British kids in the game. It is such a retrograde step it beggers belief.

Narrow sighted league standard visionaries can have their moment but it will end in a catastrophic fire ball of I told you so. The Dual nationals and Imports will go home and GB hockey will be left to pick up the pieces again. There will be a generation of kids lost to this sport because of this call.

Ocko

The argument that Brits are overpaid I don't buy either. They're here to make a living not a holiday like most imports, like others have mentioned they have families, mortgages etc. We aren't talking mega bucks like professional footballers either.

Gazza272

Mooney#16 said:
Honestly I want to support my local team and don't want it to suffer anymore than it has but this move out weighs any of Ragans minor scurmishes. This absolutely smashes the kids of this country square in the nuts. I am sorely tempted to boycott everything EIHL related right now.

Point 1. Pay the Brits a going wage or they don't move leagues etc. They quit the sport. You will have the best of whats left not the best of the best. The Brits need a wage to live on and bring up a family on. A career wage or they have to hang them up. Simple as.

Point 2. Players need to have a scope of skills to peice together a team. You need shooters, passers, hitters etc. This move will make every Brit a third line lane clogger with no experience or specialty teams situations, prolonged offensive zone pressure etc. You have guys who can take a point man. Hit him a bit block his lane and thats about it then back to the bench to let the imports play the glamour game. They cannot then all of a sudden learn all those skills for GB when they meet up and go and perform to a world class level. They may make it but they will be one dimensional players of limited ability.

The future of the sport in this country is inter linked with the fortunes of the GB squad. That suffers the game suffers. This decision has just slapped a massive road block infront of British kids in the game. It is such a retrograde step it beggers belief.

Narrow sighted league standard visionaries can have their moment but it will end in a catastrophic fire ball of I told you so. The Dual nationals and Imports will go home and GB hockey will be left to pick up the pieces again. There will be a generation of kids lost to this sport because of this call.

But I don't think that is the issue here Mooney.

What standard of hockey got guys like Dowd etc hooked on hockey in the first place? given their ages I would suggest it was the ISL. Now we can't go back there because this country cannot sustain the wages, but a higher level will increase audiences in theory.

Now the EIHL is the top league in the country. Why would you Blame it for a lack of development? surely the development should come from the governing bodies? You can't worry about a leak in the roof if the foundations aren't there to keep the roof up long term.

What have the EIHA, IHUK, EPL done to foster grass roots participation? it is their mandate to do so is it not?

If this country gets together and gets promoting grass roots hockey then the top league in this country won't ever have to worry about import limits as the kids will be coming through who are good enough anyway.

Sheincar

Well I, for 1, am really glad I haven't bought my ST yet. More watching & waiting to be done I think.

Mooney#16

You hit 18. You have played hockey all through juniour. You are then faced with an ice hockey career or a uni education or both at the same time if your lucky. You hit 21. Uni done its ice hockey career on £250 quid a week or a full time job on £750-1000 a week. Which one do you pick. You know where most players are going and thats the charity shop with their skates. You might delay a better career for more money and better sporting rewards but less money as a third line plug. The kids leave the sport. The grass roots can do all they want but it will end at that age point of seriously considering a pro career.

Just for starters. Murphy and Bowns will be the last British netties you will see for a long time. So who will back stop the GB team. A 30 yr old failed minor leaguer from the prairies with a grandad from up north.

Is this a way to get more fans in ? more imports = ££££££££££££, super league re-surfacing

and we all know what happend there, hockey in this country will never move on, kids will just

pack up , :DWD

Wannabe2 said:
Finny said:
Kurka is still an import, just a non-work permit import.
Okay smartarse he ain't one of the 11.
Oh no! What a bummer that is, especially for you.

Now your only going to be able to try desperately to make friends with the top end of that 11 and you will have to write off the players who aren't good enough, didn't want to be your friend or are from the continent because they are "more foreigners taking British jobs".

Mooney#16 said:
You hit 18. You have played hockey all through juniour. You are then faced with an ice hockey career or a uni education or both at the same time if your lucky. You hit 21. Uni done its ice hockey career on £250 quid a week or a full time job on £750-1000 a week. Which one do you pick. You know where most players are going and thats the charity shop with their skates. You might delay a better career for more money and better sporting rewards but less money as a third line plug. The kids leave the sport. The grass roots can do all they want but it will end at that age point of seriously considering a pro career.

Just for starters. Murphy and Bowns will be the last British netties you will see for a long time. So who will back stop the GB team. A 30 yr old failed minor leaguer from the prairies with a grandad from up north.
No different from any youngster who has aspired to be a pro footballer, rugby or cricket player.