Change in Import Rules for EIHL & other assorted crap

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
So the rumour coming from yesterday's EIHL board meeting is that EU passport holders will no longer count towards import levels!

Quite a major change if it goes through, and may also explain the lack of Brit re-signings and players dropping to the EPL. May also explain the Devils dabbling in the Euro market last year so much.

Personally, although it may lead to a short term increase in the quality of hockey I don't think it would be a great move as I enjoy watching homegrown players and also believe it would be disastrous for the GB team.

On the bright I guess Kurka counts as an EU passport holder so Devils are effectively yet to sign an import if it goes through.

rocketbob

Re: Rumoured change in Import Rules for EIHL

DevilDom said:
So the rumour coming from yesterday's EIHL board meeting is that EU passport holders will no longer count towards import levels!

Quite a major change if it goes through, and may also explain the lack of Brit re-signings and players dropping to the EPL. May also explain the Devils dabbling in the Euro market last year so much.

Personally, although it may lead to a short term increase in the quality of hockey I don't think it would be a great move as I enjoy watching homegrown players and also believe it would be disastrous for the GB team.

On the bright I guess Kurka counts as an EU passport holder so Devils are effectively yet to sign an import if it goes through.
It makes one wonder if this is due to an EU directive as I also believe that this would decimate the GB team with Brits being replaced by cheap euro imports on a league-wide basis.

Sheincar

Shamelessly stolen from THF

I have now been told, it's a limit of 10 non EU players, plus a maximum of 3 EU passport holders/dual nationals on a roster, and then the Brits.

So 13 non British players and then your Brits.

davew

So, if this is happening, I would hope that Team GB brings in dual nationals. Especially after the recent "bungling" at the under 20's level.

I also hope (probably dream) that all levels of the game can work together to sort the b***y mess out instead of rolling around in the mud. Failure to do so will surely end with another 20 or 30 year period of league less hockey in the UK.

so if its 3 eu passport holders then if we do lose Richardson,davies and myers we could bring in the 3 eu holders to replace them not that I want to lose any of them through.

Ocko

Bad for GB, good for the spectator and teams with money problems.

I've always wondered the legality of restricting EU players. It is meant to be an open market after all.

Isn't Blight a dual national?

They are effectively upping the import level by 2 pretty much.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Bad news for British youngsters, bad news for GB, and bad news if you ain't a rich club.

Skippy

Wannabe2 said:
Bad news for British youngsters, bad news for GB, and bad news if you ain't a rich club.

But surely as last year with the Devils and every year with the Capitals shows you can get guys in from Europe for not alot ?

Wannabe2

Yes we know that but they have been classed as imports, now it's more foreigners taking British jobs

Temme

Sheincar said:
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devils-news/eihl-announce-import-change/

Import limit has gone up one, but the extra player must be a dual national OR an EU citizen

Am i correct?

(Chris Blight...)

Temme

Temme said:
Sheincar said:
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devils-news/eihl-announce-import-change/

Import limit has gone up one, but the extra player must be a dual national OR an EU citizen

Am i correct?

(Chris Blight...)

Although, this is good for us again, as if we do lose some of our brits we may be ok.

And, a blessing in disguise as we have already signed Kurka, who would fill that extra import slot up (the rest of the guys COULD be all canadian now...)

So whilst all the top Ice Hockey nations are restricting the number of non-domestic players, the EIHA (who I gather already have the most non-domestic player allowed on a roster in World Ice Hockey) go the complete opposite way!!

If you want to be successful, you have to do what successful people do - unless you are the EIHA in which case you bury your head in the sand and then cry foul when we are unable to compete with top national teams, due to the lack of home grown talent players.

It is readily acknowledged by the majority of ice hockey coaches that you get better by "playing" with people of a better standard not "riding the pine" getting splinters in your backside, and only ice time is back and forth to the Penalty box to serve a bench minor

Go Figure - Another two steps backwards.

Gazza272

Sheincar said:
ISL Mark2?

The main problem with the ISL was the standard of wages being spent.

AHL/NHL guys and top leagues in Europe.

Teams will probably save a bit of money from this with Brit wages now having to come down.

Finny

You know what, I don't really care. A couple of years ago I'd be furious, but I'm starting to think the import limit in the top league has no bearing on the standard of the GB team at all. Even then to select a decent national side you only need around 30 top-level Brits to choose from. That's 3 a team. Teams will still have 5 or 6. That's a pretty decent pool.

Inflated values for Brits has been a problem for over a decade now, and ultimately the EIHL is a business. These are tough times and if I can get my weekly groceries cheaper from a supermarket than from a local independent store then I will. Let's not kid ourselves that the EIHL are any different.

What did confuse me was why they were announcing in advance future import level increases. I wonder whether that is in anticipation of new teams joining in the next couple of years.

Mooney#16

And the death sentance of GB hockey has just been handed down. Utter madness. The EIHL should hang their head at what they have done to the kids of this country as far as this sport is concerned. Appalling decision that is motivated by nothing other than money. I'm glad I boycott the play offs now as everyone of them doesn't deserve a penny from this sport. Reckless and short sighted.

Shocking. Just absolutely shocking call.

Finny

Mooney#16 said:
And the death sentance of GB hockey has just been handed down. Utter madness. The EIHL should hang their head at what they have done to the kids of this country as far as this sport is concerned. Appalling decision that is motivated by nothing other than money. I'm glad I boycott the play offs now as everyone of them doesn't deserve a penny from this sport. Reckless and short sighted.

Shocking. Just absolutely shocking call.
Playing devils advocate for a moment though....why?

If British players are good enough then they will still be paid an equal wage in the EIHL. Else they will go abroad. Those who aren't good enough will play in the EPL where they'll probably get paid more than they would in the EIHL.