Challenge Cup Final Ticket Details

Finny

200 tickets for non-season ticket holders!? What a disgrace. This is an outrageous ploy to get £2 each off thousands of people who won't even be attending the game. There are people criticising HothamCity's wise post and suggesting he should have a season ticket etc. Well this isn't a contest about who gives the most money to the devils - I don't have a season ticket and yet I attend 80%+ plus of home games and the ones I didn't attend were due to being away. I give hundreds of pounds every year following this team. I spent hundreds going to the play offs last year only to see us get humiliated and schooled by Coventry, I spent hundreds having a weekend following the team to Sheffield for the CC final, where we could have played all night and not scored. Now I'm reading people virtually suggesting any non season ticket holders only have themselves to blame for this rogue policy that has been introduced. Sorry for not being loyal enough and that my money isn't enough to be in your cosy fan club
Do you think it'd be fair then if a season ticket holder missed out and someone who'd never been to a game before got one?

Somebody regretting not getting a season ticket I feel? We don't get many benefits for ploughing our money into the club way before we know what the roster will be and before others who want to sit back and pick their games or see how the season goes so I think its great the management are trying to give something back. I would also add I have missed 3-4 games this season (games I have paid to see) but am happy to do so to secure my seat and support my team so before you argue that you can't make all the games - neither can I but still choose to get a ST. Thanks Todd for recognising this and giving us something in return.
I go to every game I can, over 90% of the games. Only games I miss are due to holidays. What's your point with ploughing money into the club? People who buy individual tickets pay more than ST holders anyway. It's your choice to miss games, just like my choice to go on holiday during the season. Of course I'm dissaponinted from a non
ST holders point of view, if we progress I'll just watch it from the comfort of my home with other non ST holders who's missed out on this communist regime.

pjj365

It zelf evidently won't be THEIR seat but a ticket in the Devils section

And nobody is saying it is anybody's fault for not having a season ticket. How else should allocstion take place without upsetting a different group

Also the opposite of spending on tickets, travel etc. comes into play. Due to circumstances between 2 ST holders we have missed nearly 10 games this season. One of my neighbours has missed a dozen or so

So it's swings and roundabouts

I've recently taken up an interest in Ice Hockey but feel it's slightly unfair I can't see the CC Final because I'm not a sheep with a season ticket lining the pockets of the owners silk jackets!
£400+ for a ST is a big commitment to a new comer and I feel I speak for all new fans, when I say its slight favouritism giving every ST holder a reserved space even if they will not attend. I feel like the Big dogs have lubed us non ST holders and shafted us with Asselin's oversized stick!!!!
#moneytalks

JoeyhaddadsPIMS has brought up some strong points!

200 tickets for non-season ticket holders!? What a disgrace. This is an outrageous ploy to get £2 each off thousands of people who won't even be attending the game. No doubt that will pay for a nice jolly up away for Todd and the boys #if2poundcomesyourwayyourewelcometokeepit. There are people criticising HothamCity's wise post and suggesting he should have a season ticket etc. Well this isn't a contest about who gives the most money to the devils - I don't have a season ticket and yet I attend 80%+ plus of home games and the ones I didn't attend were due to being away. I give hundreds of pounds every year following this team. I spent hundreds going to the play offs last year only to see us get humiliated and schooled by Coventry, I spent hundreds having a weekend following the team to Sheffield for the CC final, where we could have played all night and not scored. Now I'm reading people virtually suggesting any non season ticket holders only have themselves to blame for this rogue policy that has been introduced. Sorry for not being loyal enough and that my money isn't enough to be in your cosy fan club

Amen!

Finny

Probably best not to quote the Troll's post so it's easier for the Mods to edit/delete, but if a season ticket chooses not to buy their reserved ticket then it gets added to the 200 on general sale.

Surely that was obvious?

Probably best not to quote the Troll's post so it's easier for the Mods to edit/delete, but if a season ticket chooses not to buy their reserved ticket then it gets added to the 200 on general sale.

Surely that was obvious?

It's as clear as Lords tactics with the devils.
I read last night's communication on the devils website not stating that over 1000 of the tickets are already reserved yet today it was reworked like a car salesman's pitch in favour of the ST holders!
I'm buying an opposing jersey and getting a seat so I can watch!
With all the fairly bought tickets

Firstly a number of season ticket holders we know will give back their seat to the club to sell WITHOUT asking for money back just so that non STH can get to see the match. The majority of STH's have been just that for many many years through both thick and thin and it's only fair that the club respects this and gives something back to them for their loyalty to the club. Some people on here are being ridiculous and quite frankly to accuse our club of trying to scam it's fans is disgraceful given our current owners. Probably not all STH will attend the match those that don't their seats will go out to the non STH's - no not everyone will get a seat but don't forget we have the best webcast in the league you will be able to watch the game - stop throwing your dummies out of the pram and grow up!

Legin

If season ticket holders do not require a ticket I'm sure the club will release that ticket to non season ticket holders.
The club are doing this so people they know come to games get a chance of a ticket, if all the Devils allocation went on general release these people could lose out. Yes I know that applies to people who come on a regular basis but there is no way that the club can tell who they are.

Three of my family are season ticket holders, one who comes on a regular basis is not. So I can see both points of view.

Finny

If this isn't a financially motivated scheme, why not wait until the two teams competing in the final are confirmed before releasing the tickets to 4 teams' fans (half of whom won't be attending) and taking £2. I know most of you will say £2 is insignificant... Exactly, so why are the Devils partaking in such a wicked tale of bluff, deceit and scandal?
If you waited until the opponents were known it would be a lot easier for fans to buy seats in their opponents end.
This method makes it more difficult and gives the final a better chance of being split fairly.

DevilDom

I go to every game I can, over 90% of the games. Only games I miss are due to holidays. What's your point with ploughing money into the club? People who buy individual tickets pay more than ST holders anyway. It's your choice to miss games, just like my choice to go on holiday during the season. Of course I'm dissaponinted from a non
ST holders point of view, if we progress I'll just watch it from the comfort of my home with other non ST holders who's missed out on this communist regime.
The point is as a ST holder I am committed to every game regardless of how the season is going, the roster, performances, opposition, injuries, suspensions etc. You can choose not to attend a game and lose nothing, I lose everytime i can't attend a game. I would suggest that if you are attending 90% of the games and are committed to doing so in every situation going forward then you should get a ST as you will probably be in a better position both financially and in situations like this. Also, as Finny pointed out, this is the same as it is at any sports club - ST holders get priority. Do you think it would be fair if a season ticket holder didn't get a ticket and someone who had been to say 5 games got one? I certainly don't.

In Football when a team gets to the FA Cup final and gets an allocation of tickets - they are always offered to season ticket holders first.

The point is as a ST holder I am committed to every game regardless of how the season is going, the roster, performances, opposition, injuries, suspensions etc. You can choose not to attend a game and lose nothing, I lose everytime i can't attend a game. I would suggest that if you are attending 90% of the games and are committed to doing so in every situation going forward then you should get a ST as you will probably be in a better position both financially and in situations like this. Also, as Finny pointed out, this is the same as it is at any sports club - ST holders get priority. Do you think it would be fair if a season ticket holder didn't get a ticket and someone who had been to say 5 games got one? I certainly don't.

In Football when a team gets to the FA Cup final and gets an allocation of tickets - they are always offered to season ticket holders first.
Well the way I see it... The season ticket holder and the newbie will both pay the same amount for this one off event to see their team. At the minute its heavily weighted towards season ticket holders. Maybe go half and half. Giving the ST holders who's been going the longest first dibs on the seats. Then the rest through a first come basis. As for a season ticket, I'd like to get one but probably won't as I'll miss out on a few game due to holiday. I don't pick my games, I go to every game my schedule allows. I was there for that shocker against Nottingham, that didn't stop me from buying tickets for other games. I buy tickets because I enjoy Ice hockey and want to watch my team play in a final, just a bit dissaponinted it's worked out like this. The new arena is great but I'd rather travel to a neutral venue and have all the fans there than just the lucky 200 and the ST holders.

DevilDom

Well the way I see it... The season ticket holder and the newbie will both pay the same amount for this one off event to see their team. At the minute its heavily weighted towards season ticket holders. Maybe go half and half. Giving the ST holders who's been going the longest first dibs on the seats. Then the rest through a first come basis. As for a season ticket, I'd like to get one but probably won't as I'll miss out on a few game due to holiday. I don't pick my games, I go to every game my schedule allows. I was there for that shocker against Nottingham, that didn't stop me from buying tickets for other games. I buy tickets because I enjoy Ice hockey and want to watch my team play in a final, just a bit dissaponinted it's worked out like this. The new arena is great but I'd rather travel to a neutral venue and have all the fans there than just the lucky 200 and the ST holders.
I guess we'll just have to disagree on this. As I said earlier, I buy a ST for my son and I even though we miss around 5 games a year, sometimes more.

I will agree with you on neutral venue though. It would be great to have events like this and the playoffs at somewhere neutral like Birmingham NIA, Manchester GMEX, Liverpool Echo Arena or London, however it just doesn't stack up financially.

kettdevil1

I've recently taken up an interest in Ice Hockey but feel it's slightly unfair I can't see the CC Final because I'm not a sheep with a season ticket lining the pockets of the owners silk jackets!
£400+ for a ST is a big commitment to a new comer and I feel I speak for all new fans, when I say its slight favouritism giving every ST holder a reserved space even if they will not attend. I feel like the Big dogs have lubed us non ST holders and shafted us with Asselin's oversized stick!!!!
#moneytalks

I might be missing the point here but why can't you see the final? Tickets haven't been distributed yet so it seems strange to complain about something when there is an easy way of solving the problem.

I might be missing the point here but why can't you see the final? Tickets haven't been distributed yet so it seems strange to complain about something when there is an easy way of solving the problem.
I will be working and out of reach of anything usable when tickets go on sale, it seems you either need to be working a shift pattern or sitting around on benefits to be able to buy one

Why not launch them on a weekend or evening when the masses aren't earning the money to pay for the ticket so they don't miss out on the small window

kettdevil1

I will be working and out of reach of anything usable when tickets go on sale, it seems you either need to be working a shift pattern or sitting around on benefits to be able to buy one

Why not launch them on a weekend or evening when the masses aren't earning the money to pay for the ticket so they don't miss out on the small window
In the same position so I will be asking a family member or a friend to reserve one...... I suspect there will always be problems whenever you launch it but there are ways round it....

Sheincar

For clarification from the Devils' Todd Kelman:

Although we are hosting the Cup Final in Cardiff, it is meant to be a neutral venue, so tickets are meant to be split 50/50 between the fanbases of the 2 finalists. In the 2 previous seasons in Sheffield, capacity was not an issue, neither game was close to a sell-out, but we know that at less than half the size, IAW will sell out.

Season Ticket Holders - The Devils assume you will all want to go if we progress to the final. YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO ANYTHING ON MONDAY JAN 23rd. We have 1,250 season ticket holders (including about 100 corporate season ticket holders or sponsors as we might call them). We have held back 1,250 to give our season ticket holders the right to purchase first.

Non-Season Ticket Holders - You will need to book on Monday or "pre-book" as the story says. It means the same thing for this, you are booking your right to guarantee yourself a ticket for the Cup Final if the Devils progress. I know you will not be happy with there being only 200 spots for non-season ticket holders, but I felt that our season ticket holders and sponsors should get a seat guaranteed if they want it if the Devils progress. I know this is unpopular with non-season ticket holders, but this is an added benefit for being a season ticket holder or sponsor. They are paying the same price as everyone else if we advance, the additional £2 booking fee will be added at the time of purchase.

Elite League's Input - This was 100% my decision and my format for trying to make this as fair as possible for the 2 teams and their fanbases making the final and also for Devils season ticket holders/sponsors. Don't be angry at the EIHL Board, they had no input to this whatsoever. The Devils bid for the right to host the Challenge Cup and we are paying the EIHL for the right to do so. Part of the agreement to host it was to make it a 50/50 split for tickets between the two fanbases. The £2 booking fee would have been added to the ticket at checkout and instead, we opted to use it to allow fans to book a seat in advance.

Why didn't I put all of the tickets on sale at once and let everyone have an equal chance? Because I want to ensure the arena is full and that the two finalists' fanbases get tickets before neutral fans wanting to attend. This is not a scam to make £2 extra from 3 sets of fans, this is not a way to piss off our non-season ticket holders if we do advance to the final. Trust me, this was analysed and thought out to ensure it was as fair as possible for all 4 teams. I can admit, the only unfair part of this is to Devils non-season ticket holders, but I decided myself that I wanted to give my season ticket holders first refusal of tickets if we advance knowing full well how non-season ticket holders would feel about it.

This is not the easy way out, trust me, the office staff will have a ton of more work to do it this way. Instead of having all the bookings done by the fans themselves, we will be calling 3,000 people to manually process their bookings. The easy way would have been to put tickets on sale at the same time for everyone and let the fans sit wherever, but that wasn't what I wanted. I want to put on a great show and a great final regardless of who is in the final and whether it is the Devils or the Giants playing the Panthers or Steelers, I want the fanbases of the two finalists to get the opportunity to be in attendance first. Devils fans have won a Challenge Cup with us two seasons ago and if you were there, you will remember how special it was. I want the two finalists and their fanbases to have that same opportunity. Obviously I hope we get there, but if we don't, then we will still put on the best Challenge Cup Final we can.

If you are still mad, if you still think I am a fool for doing it this way, let me know. My email is tk@cardiffdevils.com - I might not be able to respond to everyone and I might not agree with you, but I am always willing to listen to feedback (good or bad). But this is how it is going to be and I am not changing the process. This is as fair as possible for the 4 fanbases and hopefully if the Challenge Cup is in somewhere like Braehead or Belfast in the future, they will consider our fanbase as well as their own and follow a similar model.

- Todd Kelman
So as this is meant to be a neutral venue, which are the home team blocks, which are the away team blocks & which are for neutrals?

Milky

#moneytalks

I'm sorry but some of these type of posts are complete rubbish.

To the poster above, firstly if you are new to ice hockey and the Cardiff Devils then welcome. It's a great club to be part of and on the whole us fans have a great time together.

I appreciate £400+ for a season ticket is an expensive initial outlay but the club offer a direct debit scheme to spread the payments which should help.

Someone also said they attend 90% of the games but haven't got a season ticket. Fair enough but I'd suggest you'd save 5% per year by having a season ticket. According to the Devils website it's 15% cheaper to have a season ticket than pay on the door for every game. I personally can't make every game either but I enjoy sitting with the same group of friends in the same seats every week.

And lining the owners pockets????? Oh dear. Here's a simple explanation. Firstly our owners are multi millionaires so if you think them profiting a few thousand pounds with all the staff man hours for doing this is worthwhile I genuinely hope you are not in business. Secondly they have stated on numerous occasions that profits made by the club are reinvested in the team or the local community to help develop hockey. Thirdly this is a 'neutral' game we as a club are hosting so if we make a profit on the exercise then great. I'm sure Sheffield and Nottingham would have also looked to make a profit if they were hosting it. Don't forget we might not even make the final.

As several people have pointed out (which has been conveniently ignored) all other sports allocate tickets for their fans at cup finals etc on a pecking order. Season ticket holders get priority everywhere else. I'm a Spurs fan and accept that I don't go very often to watch them but does that mean I should be guaranteed a ticket for cup finals (if we make one- yes I know this is hypothetical ) just because I'm a fan who wants to go? No, I accept there are others in the queue ahead of me.

Season ticket holders commit their money for the season irrespective of how good or bad things are. You can't get a refund. Those without Seaon Tickets can choose as and when they want to go and pay. There's a reason a midweek game against Fife doesn't sell out but the weekend game against Sheffield does!!!

I'm still a bit confused I'm a current season ticket holder. So must I reserve me seat for the final tomorrow or will it be already reserved for me? Cheers.