CDRA Open letter

KaneDevils

Finny said:
KaneDevils said:
Out of interest, how many of the protestors, will be going to the next Cardiff City home game?
Me!
It does mean I will miss the Wales game unfortunately though.
Are you intending on protesting outside after the owner changed the colour of the strip and his appalling treatment of Malky Mackay?
Or have you protested already?

Finny

I protest every game by wearing blue and singing pro-blue songs. I sang pro-Malky songs and despite some seemingly baffling transfer signings by him that led to his dismissal, I hope he gets all the money that is owed to him.

If I was to give up my season ticket with Cardiff City there would be someone taking my place very quickly and the club would carry on without any problem.

If I was to give up my season ticket with Cardiff Devils, though there wouldn't be that much of a loss I can't imagine someone would take my place.
If 100+ fans leave the Cardiff Devils, that would be a massive loss in revenue in the club.

KaneDevils

I don't think the Devils losing 100 fans would be that much of a thing. If Cardiff go down most of them will come back.
After all, all this hatred aimed at management is just an excuse not to go, but to go and watch top flight football instead. That would certainly explain the abundance of bull. And I don't mean Steve.

Just to add, what baffling signings caused to lose his job?

Ocko

KaneDevils said:
I don't think the Devils losing 100 fans would be that much of a thing. If Cardiff go down most of them will come back.
After all, all this hatred aimed at management is just an excuse not to go, but to go and watch top flight football instead. That would certainly explain the abundance of bull.
If we did lose any season ticket holders to Cardiff City it certainly wasn't many as I am sure season ticket sales have risen for the past few years regardless of what league CCFC have been in. Losing 100 season ticket holders would be a disaster for the Devils whichever way you look at it or the reasons why.
Losing 100 fans when the cost of a season ticket is around the £400 is effectively the complete cost of an import player. That is huge.

Finny

KaneDevils said:
After all, all this hatred aimed at management is just an excuse not to go, but to go and watch top flight football instead. That would certainly explain the abundance of bull. And I don't mean Steve.

Cornelius for £7m (rumoured to raise to £10m)
John Brayford
Peter Odemwingie

There are also suggestions that Gary Medel was been touted by Sevilla for around £6m until we jumped straight in with £11m.

Your suggestion that this is an excuse not to go is baffling, crazy, and completely unsubstantiated.

Gazza272

Finny said:
Well until this week the club refused to acknowledge that the number of unhappy fans was anything more than a handful and so insignificant. I think the 'protest' is important so that we can gauge how many fans are unhappy and IMO that is why it should go ahead. If only 20-30 fans turn up then the club is well within their right to ignore them.

If it's nearer 100 then I would hope the club would look to engage in discussions with those unhappy fans. I do find it remarkable that this is probably the first season in a very long time that we have not had a fans forum.

But Finny what other sports teams bow to their fans like that? It simply cannot be done. This thread alone shows there are varying different gripes and complaints. Do the club adapt to accommodate each and every one of them?

As a Cardiff City fan Finny how likely is it you would be able to hold a conversation with any member of the board? Why should the Devils be any different?

Again I'm not saying I'm happy with certain things that have gone on this year. But is it any worse than certain actions of the past?

There is already a fans delegation with direct communication to the club. You are free to take your concerns to them. Heck Finny I don't think anyone in the club has a problem with you do they? You are free to phone them or stroll in anytime you like.

But would you sit down with people who have made extremely personal comments toward you and are trying their best to seriously harm your business? (and i'm not talking the protest this evening) Because this is the problem, too many people on both sides making it personal, disguising it as 'best for the club' it isn't. It's a warfare where the only end is a majority missing out on something.

I'm not having a go at you here dude I hope you know that. I just really don't want the club to lose a large wedge of fans just like they did in 2001.

And I know your concerns are genuine. I just think/hope there is a better way. It may not seem like it, but we are incredibly spoiled in Cardiff to be listened to as much as we are/have been. No other sport in the UK has this, heck not even any other hockey club in the UK gets the sort of air time our fan base does.

Ocko

Not every club or sport has had to rely on it's fans for handouts, support to get a building to play out of and free/reduced services to aid match night etc. It's a unique situation not just in UK hockey but in particular the Cardiff Devils. Not only that but if PR was to run it like a football club board he wouldn't be so stupid as to put out knee jerk interviews all the time which insult fans as a group and individually. PR has talked about the professionalism that he wants the club to be run by but yet personally names an insults people - rightly or wrongly that shouldn't happen if you compare it to the example set by the best sporting organisation in the country.

KaneDevils

Finny said:
KaneDevils said:

Cornelius for £7m (rumoured to raise to £10m)
John Brayford
Peter Odemwingie

There are also suggestions that Gary Medel was been touted by Sevilla for around £6m until we jumped straight in with £11m.

Your suggestion that this is an excuse not to go is baffling, crazy, and completely unsubstantiated.
Odemwingie is a bad example. He raised eyebrows when he signed. Once courted by Arsenal no less.
All signings to a degree are a risk and all managers make poor ones that don't work out. Hasn't Cornelius been injured and hardly featured as a result? Mackay was poorly treated, and didn't deserve to be. Didn't he get you in the Prem, but I guess that now counts for little.

I was trying to make a point, a little like the one Gazza has made.
Singing pro blue songs is hardly protesting and is hardly likely to have a detrimental effect on the club.

Finny

Gazza272 said:
But Finny what other sports teams bow to their fans like that? It simply cannot be done. This thread alone shows there are varying different gripes and complaints. Do the club adapt to accommodate each and every one of them?

As a Cardiff City fan Finny how likely is it you would be able to hold a conversation with any member of the board? Why should the Devils be any different?
Actually, as I'm shareholder at Cardiff City I'm invited to the AGMs and have spoken to a number of the board members in the past. But I agree that for most people that would be very difficult.

However, there are examples of fan power working. Everton wanted to change their badge in the summer, the fans protested, the club listened to the fans and kept the badge.

Gazza272 said:
Again I'm not saying I'm happy with certain things that have gone on this year. But is it any worse than certain actions of the past?

There is already a fans delegation with direct communication to the club. You are free to take your concerns to them. Heck Finny I don't think anyone in the club has a problem with you do they? You are free to phone them or stroll in anytime you like.

But would you sit down with people who have made extremely personal comments toward you and are trying their best to seriously harm your business? (and i'm not talking the protest this evening) Because this is the problem, too many people on both sides making it personal, disguising it as 'best for the club' it isn't. It's a warfare where the only end is a majority missing out on something.

I'm not having a go at you here dude I hope you know that. I just really don't want the club to lose a large wedge of fans just like they did in 2001.

And I know your concerns are genuine. I just think/hope there is a better way. It may not seem like it, but we are incredibly spoiled in Cardiff to be listened to as much as we are/have been. No other sport in the UK has this, heck not even any other hockey club in the UK gets the sort of air time our fan base does.
I can honestly say that I haven't seen such disillusionment going through the supporters since 2001. In fact, in some ways it is worse. At least then we had the belief of being able to change it and there was a lot of enthusiasm for that.

Now, there seems to be the general feeling of "accept the crap or stop going". And seeing as we have lost around 150 fans since the sacking of G (despite winning more games) it seems a lot have chosen the latter.

Fans who have been season ticket holders for 20+ years are turning up to games late and leaving early. They are only going out of habit and because they have already paid for their season. They have told me they won't bother renewing next season.

The QF game against Fife was arguably our biggest of the season up to that point as the CC is...was... our best hope of a trophy. only 606 fans could be bothered to go.

What if that was simply the number of people who are still enjoying the hockey? What if that is our average attendance for every game next season?

Yes people could walk into the office and ask to speak to Brent or Paul, but when they are both pretty dismissive of unhappy fans on social media I'm not surprised if anyone thought they would be wasting their time.

The protest is not going to suddenly change anyone's minds as to whether to renew next season. They are however giving people confidence that they aren't the only ones feeling like this, and hope that perhaps they can change things and regain their enthusiasm for the club.

It is very important to look back at 2001 and see what happened then. Once people walk away, it's very difficult to get them to comeback.

Finny

KaneDevils said:
Singing pro blue songs is hardly protesting and is hardly likely to have a detrimental effect on the club.
But then neither is changing the club's colours going to have a detrimental effect on the club.

I'm not entirely sure what the point you were trying to make is. I get the feeling you are saying I should protest at the football but not at the hockey?
Presumably because you are a fan of one and not the other?

I think people are scared that the protest will drive fans away. It's not. It's temporarily stopping them from walking away.

jimmy snels said:
Which players have been mis treated and in what way?

Which fans have been mis treated and what was their mistreatment because of? 

Which sponsers were mis treated in which way?

No beating round the bush. no I can't say but they have. Answers please. I asked about 7 pages ago...
This is the problem with a peaceful protest, the people making it care about the club's future, if they come out with all that they know it will be seen as stoking the fires and trying to get a much bigger protest going and be percieved by management and others as trying to destroy the club when in fact they are people who want to see their club run better and for the customers (fans)

As some say we don't need to know everything but that shouldn't be a defence for shoddy treatment of people be it employees, customers, suppliers, sponsors whatever.

Maybe protesters don't want to damage the long term future of the club, just not let others do so. Therefore they don't tell all but they can't un know what they know

KaneDevils

Finny said:
KaneDevils said:
But then neither is changing the club's colours going to have a detrimental effect on the club.

I'm not entirely sure what the point you were trying to make is. I get the feeling you are saying I should protest at the football but not at the hockey?

I think people are scared that the protest will drive fans away. It's not. It's temporarily stopping them from walking away.
No. More like, your protesting about the hockey but not so much the football. But it,s easier to do that isn't it.
You say in a previous post that fans won't return should city be relegated, how can you be so sure? Devils vs hull or city vs Chelsea. No brainer to some

kettdevil1

KaneDevils said:
Finny said:
KaneDevils said:

No. More like, your protesting about the hockey but not so much the football. But it,s easier to do that isn't it.
You say in a previous post that fans won't return should city be relegated, how can you be so sure? Devils vs hull or city vs Chelsea. No brainer to some
I don't think Chelsea are going down this year ;)

Mooney#16

Shall I cut through all this crack then. February 16th Mac puts a letter on Brent's desk saying all monies and conditions honoured in seven days or we are all out on strike. The players sort there own issues out in one go.

Have Hope#35

Mooney#16 said:
Shall I cut through all this crack then. February 16th Mac puts a letter on Brent's desk saying all monies and conditions honoured in seven days or we are all out on strike. The players sort there own issues out in one go.
Good to see that the players are big enough and grown up enough to sort out their own issues!

Chris

Administrator
Out of interest, what are the protestors hoping to achieve by encouraging fans of other teams to join in on the protest?

I've just logged into twitter and there are more people from other teams than Devils fans seemingly tweeting #devilsoutside, have these away team fans been made aware of something the rest of us haven't?

I can't see what the end game is for this, are we hoping getting away team fans on board will stop them coming to Cardiff for away games in protest or something? How quickly do the club have to sort out whatever issues there are, or is the protest going to be an ongoing thing from now?

drainage

Chris said:
Out of interest, what are the protestors hoping to achieve by encouraging fans of other teams to join in on the protest?

I've just logged into twitter and there are more people from other teams than Devils fans seemingly tweeting #devilsoutside, have these away team fans been made aware of something the rest of us haven't?

I can't see what the end game is for this, are we hoping getting away team fans on board will stop them coming to Cardiff for away games in protest or something? How quickly do the club have to sort out whatever issues there are, or is the protest going to be an ongoing thing from now?
Am with you .....have heard and read things from both "divides" that upset annoy and plain wind me up and so far no evidence of what if anything is true . Totally agree things could have been handled better and have said that from the get go .....it's the how sometimes not the why that causes a furore. But I have seen work colleagues suffer bad decisions, poor management etc it's not right but it happens

Would have preferred both parties sat down and talked but am guessing there are agendas here ....that's a guess not fact before I get shot down in flames....don't think I really want to hear any more than I have it's depressing

For me too many people seem intent or not mindful of the fact this is making a club we all love a figure of mockery and I pray sense starts to reign sooner rather than later , don't care who starts it but how about a cessation in hostilities ?

I am mindful of the fact we have a team that we want to go and win games and we have no clue what this is doing to them .... Or I don't I suspect people will say they do