Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Wed 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Finny

I think you have to appreciate Russky that this is a good Coventry team. As you say, they came to try to cut down our open play and capitalise on our mistakes.
But we still won, and had it not been for a couple of bizarre refereeing decisions, we would have won by a couple more.

I was reasonably impressed with our performance and very entertained by the game.

Russky

Finny said:
I think you have to appreciate Russky that this is a good Coventry team. As you say, they came to try to cut down our open play and capitalise on our mistakes.
But we still won, and had it not been for a couple of bizarre refereeing decisions, we would have won by a couple more.

I was reasonably impressed with our performance and very entertained by the game.
Finny, are you implying that I am biased? ;) :D

From what I understand Coventry needed to win by several goals last night and rely on Hull to beat us as well, so I was surprised and disappointed how negative they were!

Finny said:
But we still won
True but had it been a league game, despite having the majority of the play and being a home game, it would have been a point each and heading to overtime and penalties. I'm sure that G will be reinforcing to the team that they need to take their chances and finish off teams without giving them a point or even 2.

In regard to the question earlier about Calder and Carlson, they aren't playing together as it hasn't been clicking and Thommo wanted to change it up. Seems to have been working as Calder has been playing much better. Carlson hasn't had a great season so far but as he has just become a father, you can probably excuse why he hasn't been his usual excellent self.

Finny

J.B said:
True but had it been a league game, despite having the majority of the play and being a home game, it would have been a point each and heading to overtime and penalties. I'm sure that G will be reinforcing to the team that they need to take their chances and finish off teams without giving them a point or even 2.
I don't think anyone would argue with that. Not taking our chances was why we lost to Nottingham the first time and to Belfast. Taking our chances was what allowed us to hammer Newcastle and Nottingham the second time.

As you say, had it not been a cup game then it would have been probably onto overtime. But it wasn't so it's all irrelevant.

Koop11

I think people need to remember Coventry are a very good team and my money at the start of the year, and still is, on them to take the league title. Any result against them is a welcome one.

I actually disagree with Russky about the first 49 seconds. Despite scoring ‘one shot, one goal’ that was pretty much the first time we’d got out of our own blue line as Coventry were peppering us.

Coventry move the puck really well. Very composed indeed. They didn’t have their clinical edge on Wednesday and Lyle’s good performances at home continued. Our high tempo and desire earned us the win in that game.

Rempel16

Wannabe2 said:
Rempel16 said:
voth26 said:
In reply to a previous post ref voth for me it seems that at the moment voth cant win,when he's fighting he gets slammed now he's not fighting and scoring points/goals thats not right!!, judging by the hits he put in last night along with the other guys he still showed that he is a tough guy. Robinson wasnt thats tough last night neither was lee if they were voth would have stepped up.Belfast will be a different game to last time and i would expect all the team to want to show up and play very very intense hockey. i think voth will go if mcmorrow/szwez decide to take liberties, dont forget we team toughness now. ref romfo hope he's not gassed just needs to get confidence back and the form will return
How many hits did he put in last night? 1? 2?

Robinson owned us physically, he checked many of our players to the head because he realised he could get away with it.

Voth can win, of course he can. 5mins in the box isn't going to hurt us when the fight swings the game back in our favour, momentum wise. He just has to realise that he's never going to be our top points scorer / star player. (franchise player? Definitely though) However, he has been the top power forward in the league in recent seasons because he puts up points and takes everyone on. He needs to mix the two on a more regular basis.

He could easily pick up a Gordie Howe hat trick every night in this league and become the league's MVP by mixing the two.

I hope you're right about Belfast, but for me, last night was the most important game of our season so far, yet the intensity wasn't as high as it had been against Nottingham.
Sorry mate your Robinson owned us is a bit over the top, Brad could punch his lights out anytime he wished, but there is a right and wrong time to fight, and last night wasnt one of them, and thats why we are in the Semis. Vother also like all the other players is there to do what the coach calls, and any decent coach wouldnt want a swop between Voth and the classless Robinson. As has already been said Voth is wrong when he fights and wrong when he dont, but he must be doing something right, as every coach in the Elite would gas one of there own to sign him. Also its no good talking about having team toughness, if when its needed, every player is looking to see where Voth is, Wes could take Robinson if he wanted, but again would we want that trade of i think not. I want to see a fight the same as the next geezer, but if it was a choice between a fight, and knocking the Blaze out of a cup competition its a no brainer. Brad will fight anyone in this league, but only if the time is right mainly, and thats what makes the guy the complete player that he is, and why he is the next Devils Legend.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
Yes there is a right and wrong time to fight, the fact that we almost lost that game because all of the momentum was with Coventry shows that we needed something to get us going again.

We sneaked through that game, it wasn't a case that we qualified just because that fight didn't happen. We got lucky. I'm just wondering whether different things would be said if we had lost the game. As it is, the result can sometimes cloud the performance.

Problem with your comment is that i have never once seen Robinson have his lights punched out. I'm sure Brad can beat him, i have seen that before, yet Robinson has hung with some tough guys in this league and they don't come tougher than Wade Belak.

So why is Robinson classless? Is it because he was taking liberties with our players? Should liberties not be punished, if not by the referee, then by our go-to tough guy?

I'm not getting into a 'who would sign Brad Voth?' argument. Despite my comments i feel that for the most part he is a class player and I cheer for him more than any other player during the introductions, however i'd like to see him play like he's the biggest guy on the ice every shift, not let a player come into our barn and start checking our smaller guys to the head.

Team toughness comes with people protecting each other, but surely that starts with the toughest guy on the ice showing the smaller guys that he has their back 'every' game. The team toughness comes in when the rest follow suit.

James

Administrator
Rempel16 said:
Problem with your comment is that i have never once seen Robinson have his lights punched out. I'm sure Brad can beat him, i have seen that before, yet Robinson has hung with some tough guys in this league and they don't come tougher than Wade Belak.
March 3rd 2007. Voth laminated Robinson to the top of the away bench.

Rempel16

James said:
Rempel16 said:
March 3rd 2007. Voth laminated Robinson to the top of the away bench.
And i'm assuming that was the game where Voth had just nailed Payette and Robinson jumped in to fight only for Voth to beat him in an edge. No clear 'lights out' moment there

James

Administrator
Im pretty sure that was because Robinson had his arm hooked over the away bench and didn't make it straight to the floor. It wasn't a McMorrow one hit he's floored but it was a massive battering he took.

Not sure if i'm on my own thinking this but I didn't really think Robinson was bullying our players or getting away with being overly physical. I was actually very impressed with how well he played the game, his positioning was excellent and he didn't take any silly penalties. Probably the most impressed I have been by him for a long time.

august04

Lid said:
Not sure if i'm on my own thinking this but I didn't really think Robinson was bullying our players or getting away with being overly physical.
I have to agree with this. Not sure where the "Robinson owned us" comment came from, I must have been watching a different game!

Gazza272

Robinson is a tough cookie but i find him to be an extremely average player. he's slow and ponderous and even though he will take anyone on, i dont think any player should fear his fighting abilities. in the past both Vot hand Darby have unloaded on him, Darby even broke his hand on his face when he played for us.

Still very suprised Coventry signed him i think against the quicker teams he is going to cost cov points this season.

Rempel16

The 'Robinson owned us' comment came directly from me, I saw it at the game and it's the reason that abuse was being hurled at him from the back of block 2. It seemed to be the general consensus up with us that he was running the show.

Lid, I have to agree with you, he played an excellent game imo also. On the basis of that performance and his looking more comfortable in our rink than i have seen from him before, I would sign him tomorrow (based on Wednesday only).

I think he would have a field day in the tent as a home player (Not quite to the extent of Macallister but similar)

Rempel16

Gazza272 said:
Robinson is a tough cookie but i find him to be an extremely average player. he's slow and ponderous and even though he will take anyone on, i dont think any player should fear his fighting abilities. in the past both Vot hand Darby have unloaded on him, Darby even broke his hand on his face when he played for us.

Still very suprised Coventry signed him i think against the quicker teams he is going to cost cov points this season.
Yet he held his own against Belak, fairing better than Cornish did. Although in saying that, it's not how many you win, it's how many you show up for. He'd be on secondary duties behind Voth on our roster. Broke D'Amour's nose couple of weks ago mind!

To be fair, Darby broke his hand when he aimed a punch as Robinson was going down, but he missed and punched the ice instead.

Up until Wednesday i have held the same viewpoint though, he's always been average against the Devils and his rep as the best hitter in the league has carried him somewhat, i just thought Wednesday he had an exceptional game.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
Gazza272 said:

Yet he held his own against Belak, fairing better than Cornish did. Although in saying that, it's not how many you win, it's how many you show up for. He'd be on secondary duties behind Voth on our roster. Broke D'Amour's nose couple of weks ago mind!

To be fair, Darby broke his hand when he aimed a punch as Robinson was going down, but he missed and punched the ice instead.

Up until Wednesday i have held the same viewpoint though, he's always been average against the Devils and his rep as the best hitter in the league has carried him somewhat, i just thought Wednesday he had an exceptional game.

It's was just his slowness that held him back wednesday, i do agree he was pretty phyiscal but i dont think its any coincidence that we played dump and chase a lot wednesday especially from the second and third lines, and we almost always came away with the puck.

Gazza272 said:
Rempel16 said:
Gazza272 said:

It's was just his slowness that held him back wednesday, i do agree he was pretty phyiscal but i dont think its any coincidence that we played dump and chase a lot wednesday especially from the second and third lines, and we almost always came away with the puck.
We also got a lot of odd man breaks in the first period when Robinson was on the ice too.

little bit confused as to why they are being put up on walesonline and not devils tv, i know finny said there are a few problems with it but we've seen some interviews go up now so surely its ok?
Saying that im not as confused as pope was about the disallowed goal :lol: such a ridiculous call.