Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Wed 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Kipper said:
One of the players told me that Darnell said that the puck rebounded off his (Darnell's) skates straight to Max and he blew up immediately as he wasn't going to allow a goal from a rebound off his skates. Not sure if that is in the rule book though. :eek:

I would have given the MoM to Stevie Lyle. I thought he made some great saves tonight and was certainly left out to dry for the 2nd goal.

True Kip the puck came off Darnells skate and he made a new hockey rule :eek:

Thanks for the report Finny. Sounds like the Blaze were lucky to hold on for what would have been a draw. As I said at the start of the season, Devils are the big favourites on paper and this now seems to be relfected on the ice. The only question seems to be taking the chances that your domination is creating but that should come.

Devils clear the zone thanks to Hill, who passes the puck across the ice to Miller. He skates into the zone, beats one player - shoots the puck.... but it pings off the post!
I thought it was Michel who hit the post? i know he didn't ice for most of the third period but i'm sure he was on for the last shift.

There's always people complaining after every game about the refs, but I have to agree this time. Darnell was shocking. Hope he's not the ref for Sunday's game against Blaze as they seemed to get away with loads.

As for the game. I thought Devils were excellent in the first period - really quick, accurate passes and movement - probably should have got a third. Was quite suprised to hear Blaze had more shots in the 1st although I think they had about 4 in the first 40 seconds before Voth scored with our first shot of the game. 2nd period was a bit scrappy, but Devils looked the better team in the third and the most likely to get the winner in my opinion.

Finally - I've seen Devils beat the Blaze - this was the 7th time I've seen them play each other in the past 2 years and the first time Devils have beat them when I've attended. Lets hope it continues when I travel up to the SkyDome on Sunday!

Rempel16

It was definitely Miller who hit the post.

I thought Jarvis had a shocker last night, but he got away with it and i'm sure we'l see him back to his best come the weekend.

I also thought Jay was awesome, he looked like the hunger was back and his confidence seems to have soared in the last few games. An excellent 2-way display and was easily my mom.

For the Blaze, I thought Robinson owned the game, I was waiting for Voth to knock his head off, as Robbo's played had clearly swung the momentum in the Blaze' favour, but it never came, Voth seemed to intent on trying to be the star player and not the toughest guy on the ice.

Not looking forward to Mcmorrow and Szwez visiting next week because they're going to have a free reign.

What i also thought was strange...... Calder and Carlson (arguably the most prolific duo in the league) didn't ice together once. Even when Hirsch was pulled, Carlson wasn't one of the 6 men on the ice. Do any resident Blaze fans know what was going on there? Have they argued or something?

All in all, it was, to use a football analogy, a game of two halves. First 30 mins we blew them away and second 30, I thought we were very average, but games go like that sometimes and we got through it, so well done Devils!

Interesting to see whether Romfo had a warning or whether G has anyone lined up and last night was the final straw.

Also, how fantastic was Carlson's saving of Voth's second shot? I would have given him MOTM for that!
Surprising how they couldn't save Jay's ENG when 2 of their players were by the goal though...

Gazza272

Kipper said:
One of the players told me that Darnell said that the puck rebounded off his (Darnell's) skates straight to Max and he blew up immediately as he wasn't going to allow a goal from a rebound off his skates. Not sure if that is in the rule book though. :eek:

So hang a minute. If Darnell thought his position on the ice was spot on where's the problem? ref's and linos cause deflectiions of the puck all the time.

Terrible deisicion if thats the reason he gave, no wonder G was wetting himself.

Koop11

Great mid week game and fair play, what great crowd considering it was a Wednesday and a non season ticket match. This club really is building slowly for the future.

A very high tempo game and one both clubs really wanted to win. I do think Coventry is spells were good but not very clinical. Their puck possession and movement is as good as I’ve seen this year. They always seen to look composed on the puck which I guess, along with hard work, is a Thommo feature in all of his teams.

We, whilst more erratic on the puck, played at a tempo which over powered Coventry. Our first line is really finding its feet and I though Mark Smith’s work rate tonight was the best we’ve seen since his spell with us last time. He back checking and face offs were excellent. Good to see him returning to his good form.

He, Voth and Max look exciting out there. When they pick the puck up you can see opposition defences worrying. Hilly, who’s mellowed slightly from his explosive start to the season is still picking up points and Jay is also finding his feet a little more.

I agree that our more reliable defenders had a weaker performance last night. Romfo hasn’t clicked yet and penalties and mistakes seen to cost him his regular shift. Gerad not scared to make tough decisions but I hope this will be the catalyst for Romfo to show us what he is all about.

Credit to Lyle of late, he’s making some big saves. Good to see him looking confident and hopefully this is something he and our defence can build on as defence and discipline is what may cost our ambitions of winning a league title this season.

Well done lads. Good rest now and lets get another 2 points on Sunday.

august04

A decent game, very nearly spoiled for me by the over-fussy and inept officiating from referee and linesmen. Some of Darnell's decisions were simply baffling. These pathetic officials that we see week in, week out are really doing this great sport a disservice at times. There's no excuses, it's a professional sport at EIHL level and the officials get paid for doing their job and should be better. Good to be through to the semi's though, despite some poor defending from the Devils, who were bailed out by Lyle time and time again. He looks to be back to his old self thankfully.

drainage

august04 said:
A decent game, very nearly spoiled for me by the over-fussy and inept officiating from referee and linesmen. Some of Darnell's decisions were simply baffling. These pathetic officials that we see week in, week out are really doing this great sport a disservice at times. There's no excuses, it's a professional sport at EIHL level and the officials get paid for doing their job and should be better. Good to be through to the semi's though, despite some poor defending from the Devils, who were bailed out by Lyle time and time again. He looks to be back to his old self thankfully.
The offside calls that were missed were appalling - not even close/marginal in a lot of cases. They were blatantly offside - as for some of Darnells calls .....if he needs to call ridiculous penalties fair enough but be consistently ridiculous and call both sides !

YEAHH!!! :D

Impressive win. I mean if you consider the games Coventry have in hand, they have probably had the best start to the season (even if their league position doesn't reflect it).

It was a close match, and in the end I think the result was fair. Coventry did have a lot of chances, but we had way more clear-cut chances! Refs and linesman were bad last night... We don't seem to have many officials in the country (money I guess...) so normally I kinda accept one or two bad calls, but last night was beyond a joke. Do the linesman know the offside rule? And Darnell, if you're going to ref crappily, at least do it consistantly throughout the game... Also still don't get why our goal wasn't allowed? Officials often make contact with the puck, or get in players way or whatever... they're part of the playing field so the goal should still stand.

Saturdays game is now a dead rubber. But hopefully we'll see our younger players trying to prove a point now on Saturday against Hull. The Stingrays we'll be pretty keen to get ANY win right now, so it should still be a pretty decent match.

voth26

In reply to a previous post ref voth for me it seems that at the moment voth cant win,when he's fighting he gets slammed now he's not fighting and scoring points/goals thats not right!!, judging by the hits he put in last night along with the other guys he still showed that he is a tough guy. Robinson wasnt thats tough last night neither was lee if they were voth would have stepped up.Belfast will be a different game to last time and i would expect all the team to want to show up and play very very intense hockey. i think voth will go if mcmorrow/szwez decide to take liberties, dont forget we team toughness now. ref romfo hope he's not gassed just needs to get confidence back and the form will return

Gazza272

voth26 said:
ref romfo hope he's not gassed just needs to get confidence back and the form will return

The thing is sadly i would probably say what form?

The guy has made some big errors this season and doesnt look comfortable logging the minutes. I dont think his benching last night was a sign he is getting gassed, but it was a huge statement of Intent by G that the depth of this squad means consistent poor performances will not be tolerated.

Now Romfo has the chance to turn it around, he knows he is playing for a coach that wont take nothing less than 100% every night, and hopefully because i want the guy to succeed in a Devils jersey Romfo will answer the call.

Rempel16

voth26 said:
In reply to a previous post ref voth for me it seems that at the moment voth cant win,when he's fighting he gets slammed now he's not fighting and scoring points/goals thats not right!!, judging by the hits he put in last night along with the other guys he still showed that he is a tough guy. Robinson wasnt thats tough last night neither was lee if they were voth would have stepped up.Belfast will be a different game to last time and i would expect all the team to want to show up and play very very intense hockey. i think voth will go if mcmorrow/szwez decide to take liberties, dont forget we team toughness now. ref romfo hope he's not gassed just needs to get confidence back and the form will return
How many hits did he put in last night? 1? 2?

Robinson owned us physically, he checked many of our players to the head because he realised he could get away with it.

Voth can win, of course he can. 5mins in the box isn't going to hurt us when the fight swings the game back in our favour, momentum wise. He just has to realise that he's never going to be our top points scorer / star player. (franchise player? Definitely though) However, he has been the top power forward in the league in recent seasons because he puts up points and takes everyone on. He needs to mix the two on a more regular basis.

He could easily pick up a Gordie Howe hat trick every night in this league and become the league's MVP by mixing the two.

I hope you're right about Belfast, but for me, last night was the most important game of our season so far, yet the intensity wasn't as high as it had been against Nottingham.

Wannabe2

Rempel16 said:
voth26 said:
How many hits did he put in last night? 1? 2?

Robinson owned us physically, he checked many of our players to the head because he realised he could get away with it.

Voth can win, of course he can. 5mins in the box isn't going to hurt us when the fight swings the game back in our favour, momentum wise. He just has to realise that he's never going to be our top points scorer / star player. (franchise player? Definitely though) However, he has been the top power forward in the league in recent seasons because he puts up points and takes everyone on. He needs to mix the two on a more regular basis.

He could easily pick up a Gordie Howe hat trick every night in this league and become the league's MVP by mixing the two.

I hope you're right about Belfast, but for me, last night was the most important game of our season so far, yet the intensity wasn't as high as it had been against Nottingham.
Sorry mate your Robinson owned us is a bit over the top, Brad could punch his lights out anytime he wished, but there is a right and wrong time to fight, and last night wasnt one of them, and thats why we are in the Semis. Vother also like all the other players is there to do what the coach calls, and any decent coach wouldnt want a swop between Voth and the classless Robinson. As has already been said Voth is wrong when he fights and wrong when he dont, but he must be doing something right, as every coach in the Elite would gas one of there own to sign him. Also its no good talking about having team toughness, if when its needed, every player is looking to see where Voth is, Wes could take Robinson if he wanted, but again would we want that trade of i think not. I want to see a fight the same as the next geezer, but if it was a choice between a fight, and knocking the Blaze out of a cup competition its a no brainer. Brad will fight anyone in this league, but only if the time is right mainly, and thats what makes the guy the complete player that he is, and why he is the next Devils Legend.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

mazza03

I would much rather see Vother on the ice scoring than warming the bench in the penalty box.

Sounds like I missed a good game, never mind, can't always afford the extra ticket.

Hi,
It was my first visit to Cardiff and I just wanted to say thankyou to the friendly devils fans that I met. I really enjoyed the game, I love to hate Voth, and I had a really good day in your city. The lady that wished me a safe journey home was delightful. Of course it would have been better if the Blaze had won but the panthers lost so I was able to get over it!
I hope those of you that come to the Skydome on Sunday feel equally welcome.

Russky

Maybe that I am being supercritical but:

1 For a team that had to win by a big margin to progress, It seemed to me that Coventry were extremely negative and just intent on spoiling tactics the whole game! Holding and jamming our sticks so we couldnt get any good puck movement going! And then waiting for us to make a mistake and capitalising on it i.e the Romfo error! They made no real contribution to the game and therefore deserved to lose!
2 Danny Stewart seemed to goade Brad into a fight at every opportunity! - not a good idea and well done to Brad for not responding!
3 Darnell was a total 'washout'. No real reason for disallowing our goal aside from his own alleged personal agenda!
4 Romfo deserved to be bench after his 'kindergarten' error!
5 We weren't exactly firing on all cylinders ourselves apart from the first 49 seconds!

I had heard so much before the game about our performances against Newcastle and Nottingham in the previous home games, that my expectation level was raised somewhat! Aside from the first minute of last nights game, it failed to live up to the heightened expectations that I had!