Cardiff Devils v Coventry Blaze - Wed 7:30pm - Chat/Updates

Finny

samidevils said:
The last band played by the other away block?

I'm sure a draw won't get us through - does depend what the decider is as we will be joint of points with Cov. People on THF think its GD, if this is the case we need to assess the GD after the game.
Hmm, maybe I was wrong. Coventry could overtake us if we drew tonight and lost in Hull by 6 goals or more.

Unless it goes on results between the two teams rather than goal difference in the whole competition.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #23
And there we go :)

Devils win 3-2, and progress to the 2nd stage of the CC. Not sure if it's been decided who'll we'll likely to be playing yet?

Just for the record...

Devils goals
1-0 - Voth unassisted at 0:48.
2-1 - Latulippe from Hill and Miller at 13:36.
3-2 - Latulippe from Hill and Miller at 59:12.

Blaze Goals
1-1 - Owen from Fulghum and Chambers at 3:33.
2-2 - Calder unassisted (I think) at 37:01.

Chris.

Wasn't their second goal assisted by Romfo? :evil:
Chris said:
And there we go :)

Devils win 3-2, and progress to the 2nd stage of the CC. Not sure if it's been decided who'll we'll likely to be playing yet?

Just for the record...

Devils goals
1-0 - Voth unassisted at 0:48.
2-1 - Latulippe from Hill and Miller at 13:36.
3-2 - Latulippe from Hill and Miller at 59:12.

Blaze Goals
1-1 - Owen from Fulghum and Chambers at 3:33.
2-2 - Calder unassisted (I think) at 37:01.

Chris.

Gazza272

Dai Vader said:
[]

Most definatly, but then Romfo paid for that by being benched the entire third period. Shows both the depth of our squad and the balls of our coach tongiht, and it's going to pay off in the future.

Romfo i think has been given a huge first warning tonight.

All in all without his mistake i couldnt see Coventry scoring, and now having played every team bar Edinburgh i cant see why we cant challenge for all trophies this season.

Great to go through and even greater dumping those lot out. :D

James

Administrator
clairey_faerie said:
Anyone know why our goal was disallowed?
The whistle had been blown before Maxi even hit the puck unfortunately. Not sure why though.
Really glad to get through despite Darnell who had a mare of a game. Calling nothing one second and then letting all sorts go the next.

Gazza272 said:
Dai Vader said:
[]

Most definatly, but then Romfo paid for that by being benched the entire third period. Shows both the depth of our squad and the balls of our coach tongiht, and it's going to pay off in the future.

Romfo i think has been given a huge first warning tonight.

All in all without his mistake i couldnt see Coventry scoring, and now having played every team bar Edinburgh i cant see why we cant challenge for all trophies this season.

Great to go through and even greater dumping those lot out. :D
With Romfo being benched it might do him a lot of good because lately he has taken too many silly penalties and made mistakes, he didn't look happy but he needs to learn before we find replacement.

Darnell seemed oblivious to a lot of coventry's antics, i have absolutely no idea why he blew the whistle before maxi's goal and voth couldn't work it out either.
Glad to see Adams making a statement after romfo gifted them that goal although he wasn't the only one making errors, the amount of times we gifted coventry the puck in our own zone was ridiculous and needs to be worked on.
Apart from that im very happy, it was a comfortable win and we never really looked like losing, our penalty kill seemed to be very good tonight. Considering coventry are supposed to be the top team at the moment they never really looked to be in it, don't know if thats because they knew there chances were slim or we were just the better team. Considering thompson called a time out i'd say we were the better team.
Latullipe worked his socks of tonight and deserved his two goals, he chased the puck in the offensive zone a lot, although that something we seem to do a lot this season and its paying off well.
BRING ON THE NEXT ROUND!

Personally I thought both Jarvis and Richardson both had their worst game of the season tonight with some stupid mistakes, mostly in the 3rd period. Luckily their mistakes went unpunished by the Blaze. Wasn't that impressed by Coventry's keeper either, he looked really shaky at times. And I still can't work out why Darnell had blown the whistle before we scored the goal.

Very good crowd for a mid week match too, I thought the atmosphere at times was great especially at the beginning. Looked like there was alot of newcomers as well, heard a few people on the way out saying how good they thought it was.

Also Matt Burge wrote in the programme something like we welcome Dave Jones and players from Cardiff City football club here tonight, so its nice to see them turning up to our matches, Dave Jones was at a match couple of weeks ago too.

Finny

Really enjoyable game with both teams going at full pelt and a pretty good atmosphere for a midweek game.

Blaze started the game the better, with a lot of pressure in the Devils zone straight from the first face off. The Devils barely touched the puck in the first 50 seconds, but when they did Brad Voth broke out down the left wing, used Birbraer as a good decoy before firing through Hirsch's 5 hole after just 48 seconds.

Devils 1-0 Blaze.

After a strange interference call against Hartwick (looked to me like he checked a Coventry player who HAD the puck) the Blaze went on the PP - but it was the Devils who created the two best chances, Hirsch having to be at it best to keep out Voth and Latulippe. As the Devils returned to full strength they got all mixed up with the line change (we had 5 players when we should have had just 4 for a couple of seconds) the puck fell to an unmarked Greg Owen who picked his spot and fired into the far top corner.

Devils 1-1 Blaze.

After an explosive start the game settled down, but only slightly. It was still end to end and both netminders were producing really good saves. With 13 minutes gone Miller collected the puck in the zone, skated around several players before flicking the puck across to Latulippe at the far post. He managed to just about volley it, directing it towards goal where it bounced and appeared to go over the line before Hirsch swept it back. The Devils players celebrated, but the light didn't go on. Referee Darnell however was positioned right in line with the goalline and gave it immediately. Hirsch went mad but I don't remember any of the other Blaze players complaining.

Devils 2-1 Blaze

Devils finished the period strongly, and nearly made it 3-1. Smith and Voth combined well to pass the puck across the crease, but as Birbraer skated in to score into the empty net he appeared to be checked without the puck. No call.

I felt the first period was pretty even, perhaps the Devils slightly shaded it. However for me the Devils were the far better side in the second, creating great chance after great chance. Several times the Devils put together a couple of clever passes to breakdown the Blaze D, but every time a player skated into get the final touch they were hauled down from behind - yet no Blaze player was ever punished.
After 26 minutes a Blaze player collected the puck, and tried to get past Romfo - who took the body for a perfect mid-ice hit. Yet somehow Darnell called interference????
Devils kill the penalty but once again their resulting line change is a mess and they play for several seconds with too many men. It's not called and Thompson goes nuts. A couple of minutes later play stops, and then they decide to call the Too Many Men. Right call - just 2 minutes too late!
Again the Devils kill off the penalty without too much hassle. 5-on-5 the Devils are much the better side and are hitting hard. Birbraer absolutely nails one mid-ice checks so well that the players ends up sliding into the boards. Darnell's hand goes up - fans can't believe it....but are then speechless when he calls HOOKING!!!
Hooking??? He didn't use his stick. It was a clean shoulder to shoulder check.
With less than 5 minutes left of the period, a bit hit on Lee by Michel saw Lee lose his stick. The Devils broke and as the pass was flicked inside to Latulippe he was rugby tackled by Lee. Nothing called by Darnell.
Blaze clear the puck and it is collected by Romfo who tries to bring it out himself as last man. Calder steals the puck off him and easily beats Lyle one-on-one.

Devils 2-2 Blaze

Despite IMO being totally outplayed for the period, the Blaze have equalised. Adams and Francis try to call Darnell over to the bench to speak to him about all the non-calls. But he ignores them and tries to restart the game. With the Devils seemingly refusing to restart the game until he speaks to the coaches, he finally looks over to the bench, shakes his head and restarts the game.
He finally goes over to the bench with about a minute left of the game, during which period Adams presumably asks him are we playing from the IIHF rule book or the IRB rule book.

End of period which I felt Devils dominated, and Blaze were having to grab, hook, and do anything possible to stop the home team scoring.

Third period, and the Blaze came out firing. They totally dominated the first 10 minutes and everything the Devils tried just wouldn't work.

As the period wears on, Darnell suddenly starts calling most of the Blaze hooking and holding. With around 10 minutes to go, the Blaze try to clear the zone along the boards, but a Devils player stops it.
The puck pops into into the slot to a Devils player (Birbraer) who is all alone. He dekes the netminder, slides the puck past Hirsch.... and as it goes passed him Darnell blows his whistle. Puck goes in just inside the far post..... but Darnell washes the goal out.

Devils fans and players go mad - nobody knows why it has been disallowed. Darnell goes over to Adams and Francis to explain his decision as he tells them Adams bursts into laughter and skates away shaking his head.

This seems to have fired the Devils up and they dominate the final ten minutes. With less than 2 minutes to go, the Blaze call a time-out. When they win the following face-off, Hirsch is pulled for the extra skater. Devils clear the zone thanks to Hill, who passes the puck across the ice to Miller. He skates into the zone, beats one player - shoots the puck.... but it pings off the post!
He hit his shot so hard it almost comes back out of the zone but is stopped by Latulippe on the blue line who shoots it back in, and despite there being two Blaze players on the goal line it beats the both.

Devils 3-2 Blaze.

Last couple of seconds pass without any major incident and the Devils win a fantastic game. Though what on earth Darnell was up to at times I don't know.

Thought Miller and Latulippe had fantastic games. Voth had an excellent first period but was suprised when he got man of the match.

Most of the defence seemed to have a bad game today as Merthyr Devil said even Richardson and Jarvis, and they are usually quite reliable. The only defender who didn't do silly things was Hartwick and he was my man of the match. I think he is the kind of player who generally plays well but people don't really notice much unless he does something wrong. But tonight he was solid, he was the only defender not giving away stupid passes or messing about with the puck in front of Lyle and he seemed to be a bit more physical than normal which was good.

I have no idea why the ref had blown before the goal, or why he called Max for hooking when he checked someone shoulder to shoulder, or why he didn't call 2 Coventry players who hugged a few of our players because they had dropped their sticks so thought they would just interfere with play instead.

Overall I think we deserved the win and I wasn't too impressed by Coventry, considering they are on a winning streak and could end up in a good league position if they win their games in hand they didn't look anything special.

Finny

Hartwick for me has had a very solid 2 weeks. Until the top line blew Newcastle away in the third, he was my MOTM last Saturday.

As you say, he's not a flashy player most of the time but he does his job without getting noticed.

Finny

Which by my reckoning is the highest attendance we've ever had for a midweek game since we moved down the bay. And it wasn't even a season ticket game!

Kipper

One of the players told me that Darnell said that the puck rebounded off his (Darnell's) skates straight to Max and he blew up immediately as he wasn't going to allow a goal from a rebound off his skates. Not sure if that is in the rule book though. :eek:

I would have given the MoM to Stevie Lyle. I thought he made some great saves tonight and was certainly left out to dry for the 2nd goal.