Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

jimmy snels

Without doubt our star forward and we're very fortunate to welcome him back. Would offer him a 5 year contract. Absolute gem. Nice one lord/todd

ASHIPP

Wow just wow. Honestly thought this time it was going to be a real challenge to keep him on our roster. Joey would undoubtedly have attracted so much attention by clubs not just in the UK but Europe and NA.

Fantastic news to know he is returning. A class player in every respect of his game. Welcome home Joey. And well done to our Club.

This is the kind of news that makes your week, not just your day! :D

Wannabe2

Re-signing Joey sends a huge message to Devils fans and to the league as a whole, when a players of Joeys caliber signs for a 3rd season, that tells others that Cardiff and the Devils are the place to be. Massive congratulations to our superb club, it's all falling into place very nicely, after this brilliant news it makes you wonder what's to come.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

matbur

Wannabe2 said:
Re-signing Joey sends a huge message to Devils fans and to the league as a whole, when a players of Joeys caliber signs for a 3rd season, that tells others that Cardiff and the Devils are the place to be. Massive congratulations to our superb club, it's all falling into place very nicely, after this brilliant news it makes you wonder what's to come.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS
100% agree with this. As great as it is to retain him, it's equally a strong early statement of the club's intent. Other players, clubs, agents will pick up on this. I've not been a Devils fan for too long but it does feel like the organisation are really going up a level.

bb1

Great signing in Joey. Now for others:

IMO we need to get Bownes signed up and dispel rumours of his move to Steelers. If there is any truth it will be a travesty. He is an unbelievable talent that we can't let go of.

Batch is a great commodity. How many Brits can do what he does. Solid tough D man who will hold his own with any heavyweight the league has to offer. I'm not confident of his return with all the rumours flying around.

Joey Haddad. Complete work horse and one of very best players in league up against the boards. Given the right line mates he can be unplayable.

Trevor Hendrikx is another guy we must sign. The guy is the clone of what we want in a Cardiff Devils player. He's a leader and does everything required to get the fans on their feet, puts himself on line by always looking after team and has great hockey brain. Devils would be crazy to not resign him.

If any of the above do not return it will be a huge loss for us and a huge gain for others.

Temme

bb1 said:
Trevor Hendrikx is another guy we must sign. The guy is the clone of what we want in a Cardiff Devils player. He's a leader and does everything required to get the fans on their feet, puts himself on line by always looking after team and has great hockey brain. Devils would be crazy to not resign him.

If any of the above do not return it will be a huge loss for us and a huge gain for others.
:shock:

Devil_Abroad

Re: Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

I think many would want Hendrikx back if he could put some speed into his skates for the big ice pad - though he didn't fight much last year (must have been a hand injury) he still stepped in and was a presence. Just wish he was quicker around the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temme

Devil_Abroad said:
I think many would want Hendrikx back if he could put some speed into his skates for the big ice pad - though he didn't fight much last year (must have been a hand injury) he still stepped in and was a presence. Just wish he was quicker around the ice.

I agree that his outlet pass is brilliant, but other than that I do feel he's a player that we could improve upon this off-season.

Although if he did re-sign, I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest. Sometimes his hockey smarts just aren't there and you see him go in for a check that's 1/10 effective from separating his man from the puck and 9/10 leaves the other D man 2-on-1. - This is something that's even harder to use purposefully on bigger ice.

It's very very difficult to pick holes in this years team, and identify ANY areas that we can improve on, as we were so dominant for so long yet ultimately won nothing.

However a great transition year for the club & hopefully the first full season in the new rink will be something special.

Koop11

Hendrix is stay at home defenceman with the best blue line to blue line pass of any of our players. He is our best hitter. He was the only one to act as an enforcer last season. He is a Cardiff Devil through and through so I was very disappointed with his omissions from for team last season. I still don’t understand the logic in those decisions. I understand he may lack the pace of some of our more mobile defencemen but he’s a smart hockey player and rarely puts himself out of position, unlike some of our more smoother skating blue liners.

I for one would be thrilled to see Hendrix return but I fear that may not happen. We may assume he wants to return but that might not be the case considering he was left out of the team on so many occasions.

ASHIPP

So-called 'big ice surfaces' didn't hinder Trevor's career in North America. He is a great blue line defenceman - that is his job. He has a superb first pass and is exactly the sort of quiet menacing toughness needed. His responsibility is not to meander deep into the offensive zone or create goal scoring opportunities. Think the 'out of position' argument could be levelled at one or two other players. The fact that he wore the 'A' speaks volumes about his character and leadership qualities.

Why he was omitted from so many games is still a mystery....particularly when several other players last season clearly were not at their best for many games. And several games played where his inclusion would have been very important. A defenceman of Trevor's quality standing on the sidelines when several other elite league clubs would be crying out for a player like that.

Ocko

Just to put it out there that the Ice surfaces in N America aren't necessarily 'big'. Olympic ice, which is in the majority of rinks is bigger than what any players are used to over the pond, they play on NHL ice, which is much narrower than Olympic, around BBT width. So chances are he wouldn't have played on ice this size much, if at all.

Johnnybravo1927

Having spoken to Trevor Hendrikx, he 100% wants to re-sign. He loves the club, the city and has fallen for a local girl. I would love to see him back and really rate him highly. He isnt fast but has many other qualities.

Wannabe2

Hendo would have been one of my first signings, every now and then a player comes along who is a true Cardiff Devil, and this young man is exactly that, looks after his team mates, wears the shirt with pride, loves it here with a passion, and will go thru a brick wall for this club, God why do they play he came in like a wrecking ball. Get him signed now, before he is wrecking our players.

Ocko

Ocko said:
Just to put it out there that the Ice surfaces in N America aren't necessarily 'big'. Olympic ice, which is in the majority of rinks is bigger than what any players are used to over the pond, they play on NHL ice, which is much narrower than Olympic, around BBT width. So chances are he wouldn't have played on ice this size much, if at all.
This wasn't me saying I wouldn't have him back.

I certainly would. Better than his hits, pass or defensive game; he's a winner. A proven winner.

bb1

Temme said:
Devil_Abroad said:

I agree that his outlet pass is brilliant, but other than that I do feel he's a player that we could improve upon this off-season.

Although if he did re-sign, I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest. Sometimes his hockey smarts just aren't there and you see him go in for a check that's 1/10 effective from separating his man from the puck and 9/10 leaves the other D man 2-on-1. - This is something that's even harder to use purposefully on bigger ice.

It's very very difficult to pick holes in this years team, and identify ANY areas that we can improve on, as we were so dominant for so long yet ultimately won nothing.

However a great transition year for the club & hopefully the first full season in the new rink will be something special.
Yes Hendo does try to throw the odd hit when he shouldn't but to say his hockey brain isn't there....wow.

To be he's got one of the best hockey brains on our team. He knows when to slow down the play and can see passes that most of us can't see. He's slowest of our D men but that just shows that he has so much more to his game being on championship winning teams.

Not only does he give us that but he is the only one with balls in our team to step up and protect our guys every time it kicks off. He took on westgarth last year when cully was being pounded. He jumped bench to help out doucette when Boris was hammering him and well list goes on.....
Far better D man than Fitzgerald who has just been resigned by steelers.

The guy is a Cardiff Devil thru and thru

bb1

Nice to see that many of us can see past the fact that Hendo isn't the fastest and see how great his other qualities are. He's an old school hockey player.

If Steve King is reading....Bring back Trevor Hendrikx

ASHIPP

With Hendo the things that we don't always get to see are very important. The fact he wears an 'A' speaks volumes about his character, attitude and the respect he has earned from his colleagues. A quiet menacing influence on the ice, v strong in the locker room, a role model in every sense, a fan favorite and an experienced winner. Let's hope his re-signing is announced soon.