Blaze v Devils - Sun 27/12 - 6pm - Chat/Updates

SPEEDACE said:
Finny said:
davel said:
THe buck firmly stops with the coach it appears that he cannt motivate the players to perform away
No it doesn't. And anyone who believes that has a very simplistic (and wrong) view of life.

If I don't bother to turn up to work or do my job properly - it would be me who lost my job. Not my boss for not motivating me.
Firstly who are you too state that somebody has a wrong view in life. Your previous comments have stated that this is a forum where topics are discussed. People may not always agree with each other, however to say that someone has a wrong view of life due to the fact you disagree with them is somewhat childish, immature and condescending.

Finny, as you quite rightly pointed out, if you under performed in your job your management would recognise this and act upon it.

The Devils team are seriously under-performing away from home, something which has happened for the last two months or so, if not across the whole season. Question is why arent the coaches, who run the team and make the decisions doing anything about it.

You see it in every other sport, managers live and die by there results, rarely do you see players moved, it is always a change in leadership which takes place. Maybe something the Devils need too.

On a positive note, i actually believe this is the best group of players seen in Cardiff for a long time, therefore why are we struggling so badly???

Any views??

Good post i couldn't have put it better.

Just got back from Cov after staying up there, so I've had a nice meal last night and a journey back this morning to think about last night.
These are my thoughts

We got hit by 3 good goals in the first and were never in the period.
Smith's goal was a beaut and Wes as normal was in the slot when it mattered.
The game turned on G's injury, hope he's ok to play soon, sounds serious.
Coventry played a well disciplined game, took pens whem needed, not too many.
We made Carson make the calls easy, ok there were a few odd calls but nothing that we are not use to.
Tylor covered every piece of the pad, emense effort
Hill and Hartwick were hitting hard

The bad points....we cannot keep blaming the ref's or the ice pad blah, blah, blah we have to address the indiscipine and players simply not turning up for games.
Indiscipline
Jay got a 10 min misc for yapping at Carson...why ? he's played long enough to know there is only 1 winner in that contest.
Same goes for Finnerty, I though he worked hard all night but by hitting his stick against the boards at Carson's call on Voth he got a 10min misc call. Again only 1 winner in that dual.
Brad, ok he got sucker punched by a player on the bench, why Slash? hit him instead. I hope the call goes to video and maybe they will show the instiagtor pen against Calder (?). Brad should have taken revenge on the ice.

Now to the players who I was disapointed at:
Miller - Just didn't show any aggression for a winger, didn't get in the corners enough, his passing was at times woefull
Birbrear - Has to win the award of the "most inconsistant player of the year", showed no passion last night, on a few occasions gave up on a pass, again no big hits.
I've been watching them closely over the past few games and noticed a drop in their work rate since the season started. I was hoping that they would have made them sit out a shift or 2, if G was not injured maybe he would have made that call?

Honestly was not expecting a win last night, a point would have been a bonus, perhaps the players were thinking the same.

Hard thoughts but I was embarressed last night, thankfully the Bombardier in the Royal Oak in Brandon went down looovely.

Happier hockey days

Gazza272

SPEEDACE said:
Finny, as you quite rightly pointed out, if you under performed in your job your management would recognise this and act upon it.

The Devils team are seriously under-performing away from home, something which has happened for the last two months or so, if not across the whole season. Question is why arent the coaches, who run the team and make the decisions doing anything about it.

You see it in every other sport, managers live and die by there results, rarely do you see players moved, it is always a change in leadership which takes place. Maybe something the Devils need too.

On a positive note, i actually believe this is the best group of players seen in Cardiff for a long time, therefore why are we struggling so badly???

Any views??

But i guess thats the point people who are backing Adams are making, he is a decent coach because we are beating teams at home. And it seems according to the assistant coachs statmenet in the Press today that it is the players who arent following it.

Thats why imo changing the coach isnt the answer, he obviously has it in his locker to do a decent job, however i will say that maybe it is time to change our tactics away from home, Edinburgh changed things up a little to cope with the smaller ice pad in Cardiff a few weeks ago and had they taken a few of their chances they could have got something out of the game in the tent, similarly i think we need to shock people a little bit on the road to gain a result.

If we were languishing bottom of the league i think you could lay a lot of blame at Gerad's doorstop but we arent, and there are never any 'gerad stay forever' posts when we win games (and we have been winning a good few this year albeit at home) So i dont think the coach deserves to go, but i do think Gerad needs some new ideas to freshen the guys up.

Ultimatly though i think its easy for players to let the fans lay the blame at the coaches door, and there are a lot of players in our team who need to take responsability as senior players to make their mark in opposition rinks, we realistically need to win 90% of our games in January and February if we are to mount any sort of a title challenge (which at the moment imo isnt looking to promising) but more importantly we need to be ready to defend that 3 goal lead in Belfast come the 20th of January.

Wannabe2

Firstly i didnt go up last night, and thank god for that, but i do feel for those who did go. Anyone who knows me will know i am not in the habit of slagging off the players. But after watching a first class display on Saturday, and ripping the league leaders apart, with the type of hard hitting physical, and totally commtited hockey that used to be the trademark of Cardiff, then why does this obvious way to play go out the window. Why oh why do we play a different game away to that at home. After Saturdays display i really was going to go to Coventry, and it would have been my first away game for 2yrs, and thats not really me, but the reason i havent bothered is because, the time and expense it would cost, havent balanced out with what i would get outta it, and its a great shame that i have been proven right. Last night i sat on my settee having a beer, with my feet up, thinking about all the poor people who have made the effort, and the expense to cheer on the great team that played so very well the night before, and getting zilch coming back. I couldnt believe the report i had from a very good friend, telling me we didnt throw a check all night, after we had knocked Belfast and the Blaze totally off there game, and proved how successful it was. Again this club has shot itself in the foot, huge crowd on Sat a great display of everything that is great in this sport, putting 6 past the top team, only for 24hrs later to appear to most fans that they cant be arsed. My god if we only had 10 Tylor Michels in this team, we would be world beaters. Its not good enough guys, you bust a gut at home and show us how professional and talented you are, and then let yourselves, the club, and the best fans in the league down, its not on. Thats my frustrated rant over, and sorry for going on, but Devils fans deserve better, we are a small club in a small rink, but the Devils fans are a canny lot, and realise we dont have the god given right to any success, but if we get beat by a better team, and the guys have given everything they got then thats a different ball game.
HAPPY HOME HOCKEY DAYS. :(

I was at the game last night, and yes it was a really disappointing show, but, For God's Sake give 'G' a break will you!! :evil: At the end of the day, he maybe the coach, but the performance and results on the day ultimately falls in the lap of each of the players. They all know they have a job to do so lets hope the passion to win returns by Wednesday when we meet the Panthers ..... come on Devils let's prove to all the negative posters that you can bring home a win! ;) :) LET'S GO DEVILS LET'S GO!

Sheincar

The rambling thoughts after last night: I wouldn't have been so disappointed had that been the first away game of the season but it wasn't although the players acted as though they'd never met each other before; they got in each others way, left trailing pucks for guys who were nowhere near them, Max kept losing an edge, Stevie had to come way out of his net to send the puck back up the ice as no D anywhere near him.

Brad lashed out when G got hit. No idea why as clearly accidental, but Brad got called which the Blaze players thought hilarious.

Brad got checked into the boards by the Blaze bench & Carlson (?) took the opportunity to throw a punch. Brad retaliates - numpty!! Meanwhile Campbell on the bench is prodding his stick at Jay's legs but of course Brad's the only one called.

No professional should need someone else to motivate him in a game where there's big rivalry involved.

Finally big thumbs up to the devils fan who pinched Mike's drumstick!!!

Wannabe2 said:
but the Devils fans are a canny lot, and realise we dont have the god given right to any success :(
Absolutely spot on, however what the players need to realise is that we do have a god given right that a team turns up to play Last night was embarrassing

Sliput

phil PLT said:
Wannabe2 said:
but the Devils fans are a canny lot, and realise we dont have the god given right to any success :(
Absolutely spot on, however what the players need to realise is that we do have a god given right that a team turns up to play Last night was embarrassing
Agree with you there Phil....i have to say i think ,for me , i would seriously look at Max..he is awful at the moment. I ,like Wannabe 2 never slag off players but max just looks bored,he gets checked and gets straight off,if he is near an opposing player and they have the puck-if he doesnt take it off them on the first try he gives up.

Last night didnt cover any of the team in glory (How many times did they knock into each other!) G needs now to sort out the set lines and stick with them for the rest of the season s all this swapping is uncomfortable to watch.
Jay needs to be quiet...he will never win with a ref.

I really want to moan about Finnerty and Miller for picking up their 10 mins...but whatever they said to Carson he fully deserved :twisted: :twisted:

Wannabe2

Personnally i think we should turn into the London Racers and just beat the crap outta everyone
My dream line.
Mcinerny
Boh Davison
Ware Voth Macwilliam

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Russky

Undoubtedly last nights performance was our worst - I am just going by the postings on MNL but it seems obvious to me that certain players arent turning up at away games and only turning on the style and skill in the Big Blue Tent.

I cannot believe the difference in approach in the two games less than 24hrs apart, I could hardly believe that it was same team playing! Our indiscipline and lack of desire was evident in conceding 3 goals in the first period- that was totally unacceptable. I felt the second period was better for us until G took the puck in the face and shortly after the Blaze went 4-2 up. It was at that point that I believe we just gave up! Again totally unacceptable. :evil:

Sheincar said:
Finally big thumbs up to the devils fan who pinched Mike's drumstick!!!
You mean the so-called fan who manhandled Mike and snatched the sticks out of his hands (and I use this wording against my instincts, I was sitting next to him and would put it much more strongly). How you can applaud such behaviour is beyond me, I thought we knew each other better than that.

Sheincar

Well as you are well aware Mike was in my seat & I wasn't prepared to be sat next to the drums. I really felt sorry for the fans who were sat next to them & not by their choice. Those who sit next to you at home games know the situation. I choose to sit as far away from the drums as possible at home. Unfortunately it's not so easy to escape the noise away from home.

Sheila, I am quite frankly staggered by your attitude - Viv and I attend every competitive away game in Coventry, we always sit in the same seats and any Devils supporters who regularly travel know this - the space restrictions in the Skydome are such that we need to be in the back row (so we can stow drumcase etc behind us in the area under the sponsor box) and in those specific seats as there is a small gap between seats 6 and 7 which allows the drumstand to be set up.

We arrived shortly before the minibus party and when you all arrived Viv asked if anyone minded if the seating arrangements were slightly rejigged to accommodate us - there were no objections.

Now, let's be honest, by my usual standards I drummed very little last night but when we pull two goals back to reduce the deficit to a single goal and some so-called fan simply turns around, grabs hold of me, snatches the drum sticks from me while I'm in the middle of trying to get behind the team and raise the noise levels of the Devils supporters and said fan gives me a load of verbal then that is BANG OUT OF ORDER. Not a word was said to me beforehand by said fan and what he did constituted an assault. The shocked faces of a number of the supporters sat in the immediate vicinity and some of their subsequent comments are testament to the fact that they considered that this person had overstepped the mark.

I received no apology from the fan - they disappeared in the second period break and did not return to their seat - I can only hope they realised what they had done and were suitably ashamed of their actions. So, if you were the fan in block 8 row f seat 8 please feel free to come and apologise to me face to face at our next home game - if the drumming was upsetting you perhaps you should have done the civilised thing and spoken to me rather than resorting to attempted thuggery.

Viv and I may have been volunteers for the club for a while and supporters for longer but that gives no one the right to abuse either of us in the fashion we experienced last night.

drainage

Devildrums said:
Sheila, I am quite frankly staggered by your attitude - Viv and I attend every competitive away game in Coventry, we always sit in the same seats and any Devils supporters who regularly travel know this - the space restrictions in the Skydome are such that we need to be in the back row (so we can stow drumcase etc behind us in the area under the sponsor box) and in those specific seats as there is a small gap between seats 6 and 7 which allows the drumstand to be set up.

We arrived shortly before the minibus party and when you all arrived Viv asked if anyone minded if the seating arrangements were slightly rejigged to accommodate us - there were no objections.

Now, let's be honest, by my usual standards I drummed very little last night but when we pull two goals back to reduce the deficit to a single goal and some so-called fan simply turns around, grabs hold of me, snatches the drum sticks from me while I'm in the middle of trying to get behind the team and raise the noise levels of the Devils supporters and said fan gives me a load of verbal then that is BANG OUT OF ORDER. Not a word was said to me beforehand by said fan and what he did constituted an assault. The shocked faces of a number of the supporters sat in the immediate vicinity and some of their subsequent comments are testament to the fact that they considered that this person had overstepped the mark.

I received no apology from the fan - they disappeared in the second period break and did not return to their seat - I can only hope they realised what they had done and were suitably ashamed of their actions. So, if you were the fan in block 8 row f seat 8 please feel free to come and apologise to me face to face at our next home game - if the drumming was upsetting you perhaps you should have done the civilised thing and spoken to me rather than resorting to attempted thuggery.

Viv and I may have been volunteers for the club for a while and supporters for longer but that gives no one the right to abuse either of us in the fashion we experienced last night.

Sorry you had a bad experience but you being volunteers doesnt make you exempt ! I have experienced equally apalling behaviour its not about my longevity as a supporter its about other peoples lack of manners

Sheincar

If you always sit in those seats why didn't you buy the tickets for those seats? The minibus party would then not have been next to you.

The fan immediately in front of you was at his first away game & had to plug tissue in his ears to reduce the noise level.

My guess is the fan who moved did so because he had had enough of the noise. Let's be fair what was your attitude to the announcer after the "discussion" about the mic level - drum as loud as you could!! Thanks a bunch. Isn't excessive noise a form of assault too?!

This has nothing to do with how long you've volunteered or been a fan as you well know & I see no reason for you to bring that up.

Gazza272

drainage said:
[q

Sorry you had a bad experience but you being volunteers doesnt make you exempt ! I have experienced equally apalling behaviour its not about my longevity as a supporter its about other peoples lack of manners

Dont think that wsa the intention of the line. I read it that Mike felt because he was a public face around the rink, the fan in question thought he could get away with doing what he did. not that they shouldnt have done it because he is a volounteer.

wildthing74

Whilst I was not aware of the incident,I must confess even though I was in block 7,it had crossed my mind that it would have been a nightmare being sat right by the drums last night.
Who cares it was the person's first away game?That person even though may have not reacted in the best way does have a right to watch the game without having to indure the noise.People who know you may feel they can tolerate it but I probably would not happily sit near the drums given a choice.
There were 2 clows with air horns 2 rows behind me who were Blaze fans and that was bad enough.Had I been closer I may not have bitten my lip when they were constanlt blowing it.
The issue of how long you have been a fan does not cut it either.I like many on here have been a fan over 20 years but wether you have been a fan since 1986 or 2009 we are all fans together.
Hopefully the person in question will man up and appologise for their aggressive repsonse but by the same token the drummers need to understand not everybody is happy to be sat so close.

drainage

Gazza272 said:
drainage said:
[q

Dont think that wsa the intention of the line. I read it that Mike felt because he was a public face around the rink, the fan in question thought he could get away with doing what he did. not that they shouldnt have done it because he is a volounteer.
Public face around the rink ?? I appauld anyone who loves their team enough to be involved but sorry doesnt make you exempt from crud - have to confess my idea of enjoyment isnt being next to a drum player. Granted I could move (if it was me and it wasnt!) granted people should be polite (and I would be) but there cannot be this underlying thread that/implied view says longetivity gives you rights. and by the way have been a devils fan since Nov 1986 ..... so no am not a newbie ! But I surely wish we'd all get on !!