Blaze v Devils - Sun 27/12 - 6pm - Chat/Updates

Gazza272

drainage said:
Gazza272 said:
drainage said:
[q

Sorry you had a bad experience but you being volunteers doesnt make you exempt ! I have experienced equally apalling behaviour its not about my longevity as a supporter its about other peoples lack of manners

Dont think that wsa the intention of the line. I read it that Mike felt because he was a public face around the rink, the fan in question thought he could get away with doing what he did. not that they shouldnt have done it because he is a volounteer.
Public face around the rink ?? I appauld anyone who loves their team enough to be involved but sorry doesnt make you exempt from crud - have to confess my idea of enjoyment isnt being next to a drum player. Granted I could move (if it was me and it wasnt!) granted people should be polite (and I would be) but there cannot be this underlying thread that/implied view says longetivity gives you rights. and by the way have been a devils fan since Nov 1986 ..... so no am not a newbie ! But I surely wish we'd all get on !!

No your still misunderstanding the intent of the statement.

The statement read to me as Mike was saying him being a public face contributed to the manner in which he WAS faced with the incident.

Not that he SHOULDNT be faced with it because he is a public face around the rink.

Sorry for the capitals its not meant in a patronising manner i just thought it the best device to make my point clear.

Last night was our first away game and I'm pleased I went. Okay it sucked that the Devils lost and seem to keep losing away, but blimey I had a great time seeing the ways Coventry get the crowd going.

The announcer had a mic you could hear and understand - I don't think I can ever work out what's said at the tent!
The start of the game where he got the blocks to cheer was great.
All the extra games and the chuck-a-puck prize were grand.

Can we not get more of a vibe like this?

We were stood behind the goal and chatting to a few Blaze fans who said it was always like that. Even though we lost I had fun and I think that encourages fans to carry on supporting even when the chips are down.

Sorry if it's not the done thing to praise other teams and their ways but I'm new to this forum!! And probably not going the best way about getting accepted huh!?

:)

Wannabe2

To be honest if i travelled all the way to Coventry, and was next to a drummer i wouldnt be a happy bunny at all, theres no need to be rude, but i couldnt handle that racket next to my lug holes. At home we have the choice we know where the drummers are, and thats fair comment we keep away, but when you dont know and they are next to you, thats a different scenario as i go to watch the game, and banging in my ear takes away the whole enjoyment

monkeychick said:
The announcer had a mic you could hear and understand - I don't think I can ever work out what's said at the tent!
The start of the game where he got the blocks to cheer was great.
All the extra games and the chuck-a-puck prize were grand.
The sound can't be helped, they do with the big blue tent what they can but unfortunately they have to live with what they've got and put it to as best use possible.
As for the rest of the stuff they already do it all, dj usually gets each block to cheer at beginning but most dont get involved i find.
They have games in the period breaks with the youngsters, and they hold a chuck-a-puck competition.

nmase20 said:
The sound can't be helped, they do with the big blue tent what they can but unfortunately they have to live with what they've got and put it to as best use possible.
As for the rest of the stuff they already do it all, dj usually gets each block to cheer at beginning but most dont get involved i find.
They have games in the period breaks with the youngsters, and they hold a chuck-a-puck competition.
I do know we have games and chuck-a-puck, I may be new but we've been to pretty much every home game this season!! I think I was the only one in our block that noticed the recent lack of pizza for two games ;)
Coventry had kids running round the ice, through traffic cones and under sticks and they were having tonnes of fun. I've watched plenty of the mini-games for the mini-players in the tent but I also liked the difference at the skydome.
I also realise that the tent itself doesn't help the sound issue, I was just saying I appreciated understanding for a change!

Please don't think I was trying to put down the Devils home experience, I was just wondering if we could do more. You say the announcer tries but no-one gets involved, maybe they just don't hear what he's saying!! Or maybe the apathy in Cardiff is too strong ;)

monkeychick said:
I do know we have games and chuck-a-puck, I may be new but we've been to pretty much every home game this season!! I think I was the only one in our block that noticed the recent lack of pizza for two games ;)
Coventry had kids running round the ice, through traffic cones and under sticks and they were having tonnes of fun. I've watched plenty of the mini-games for the mini-players in the tent but I also liked the difference at the skydome.
I also realise that the tent itself doesn't help the sound issue, I was just saying I appreciated understanding for a change!

Please don't think I was trying to put down the Devils home experience, I was just wondering if we could do more. You say the announcer tries but no-one gets involved, maybe they just don't hear what he's saying!! Or maybe the apathy in Cardiff is too strong ;)
Sorry but the way you said it made it sound as though they don't do any of these things so im a bit puzzled by what you were trying to say.

monkeychick said:

Sorry but the way you said it made it sound as though they don't do any of these things so im a bit puzzled by what you were trying to say.

Gazza's interpretation of my post is the correct one - my meaning is that because Viv and I are seen by some people as being part of the fixtures and fittings then that makes us somehow "fair game" and we can be treated differently - it has nothing to do with the fact that we are volunteers or have been fans for a particular length of time. The vast majority of fans are pleasant and respectful but it must be said that there have been a few occasions when we have been subjected to rudeness and more. Whatever our capacity (and the same goes for anyone else) there is no excuse for what we experienced last night.

Sheila - we always book our tickets in advance and this was no exception - we called the Skydome at least a week before the game to be told that our usual seats had been reserved. We booked the closest available seats in the hope that we could arrange a swap - that's exactly what happened. The drum has travelled on the road since January 2004 and goes everywhere except Nottingham (not allowed) and Belfast (too much hassle on the plane).

I've already mentioned that I hardly drummed last night - when the team pulls the game back to a one goal deficit I think that's a good time to try to get the fans behind the team to give the players a bit of a boost. To have someone turn and lunge at you for that is unacceptable.

I think it's a little rich to suggest that my response to the mic level conversation was to drum as loud as I could - you're either genuinely mistaken or are deliberately misinterpreting events - the announcer made some smart-mouth remarks and for approximately 10 seconds I did the Laurel and Hardy drumbeat to shut him up - it worked.

We hear time and again of how well the team responds when the fans get behind them and there are some who moan because of a lack of atmosphere at home and on the road - as a drummer you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've had people moaning that there's not enough drumming or that drum beats should be quicker, slower, more varied etc. We seem to have a lot of NIMBYs too - they want the noise but not next to them. I understand that drums aren't to everyone's tastes but if they can act as a focal point for clapping and chants then they have a role to play. It's not like I randomly sit in different seats every game.

rolf

Yeah, welcome to the inferno monkeychick. I understood both of your posts perfectly well, no ambiguity there at all and certainly no need to ask you twice to clarify.......

we all love the same team right? if the drums were so unbearable why not just ask the drummers to stop instead of snatching them away?
now, i dont know what the layout is at the skydome and like most of you i prefer not to sit next to drums (no offence drummer peeps) but it seems like your having a pop at him for basically backing his team and if it bothered you that much it doesnt hurt to ask them to stop.
please dont think im having a go as i understand not everyone likes to be close to the drums but this is the first time ive come across fans not happy with other fans for cheering (albeit a little louser than the rest :lol: )

drainage

No your still misunderstanding the intent of the statement.

The statement read to me as Mike was saying him being a public face contributed to the manner in which he WAS faced with the incident.

Not that he SHOULDNT be faced with it because he is a public face around the rink.

Sorry for the capitals its not meant in a patronising manner i just thought it the best device to make my point clear.
I obviously read the post differently to the way it seems to have been meant - I also stated NO ONE should face rudeness , lack of general manners etc unfortunately we sometimes do.

So we seem to be agreeing - in a roundabout way! Lets leave it there and have some festive goodwill by all on here!!!

What about the drummers being seated behind the Devils bench at away games.

Maybe that will get them stirred and agitated which by all accounts wouldn't be a bad thing

mazza03

Nott Simpson said:
What about the drummers being seated behind the Devils bench at away games.

Maybe that will get them stirred and agitated which by all accounts wouldn't be a bad thing
Good idea you could then prod them up the bum if they got complacent (sp) as they seem to :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waited a day before posting so I don't sound so frustrated about the match.

The only positive I can think of was the first 5-10 minutes of the second where we actually took the game to Coventry.

What the hell were we doing in the first period? Playing defensive hockey with no hits against a skilled team like the Blaze is suicide. We took stupid penalties, and when they took a penalty our PP was mostly pathetic.

The ice was pretty shocking... pucks jumping up everywhere.

Voth looked kinda slow all night, and it sucks that the ref didn't see the actions of the Blaze bench before his reaction. A bad game for Voth that he just should forget.

We got Panthers and Giants away from home. C'mon G/Franny sort it out and make the boys play to their potential. At the moment, you're not getting the best from them.

jimmy snels

*It was a difficult day for Devils, who did not arrive at Coventry’s Skydome ice rink home until 30 minutes before the scheduled face-off. The match started 15 minutes late, at 6.15pm.*

just wondering why they didnt leave, well, earlier then! get there nice and early, have food together,take in the local sights, eat a pineapple next to the ring road.... if i ever need to be somewhere which is a 100 + miles away id try to leave plenty of time for interferance. maybe the guys hit the bar because of the great victory the night before and didnt want to drink drive to the rink in the morning, it is that time of yr.... :roll:

i think iv given up on some of the stars at the minute, jay and max for example are just quite simply under performing, whist people like tylor try their damndest every game.

If G is out for a while will we be bringing in a peroper big D man i wonder (or hope!!) mciver is about aint he?? atleast he offers some toughness

Gazza272

jimmy snels said:
*It was a difficult day for Devils, who did not arrive at Coventry’s Skydome ice rink home until 30 minutes before the scheduled face-off. The match started 15 minutes late, at 6.15pm.*

just wondering why they didnt leave, well, earlier then! get there nice and early, have food together,take in the local sights, eat a pineapple next to the ring road.... if i ever need to be somewhere which is a 100 + miles away id try to leave plenty of time for interferance. maybe the guys hit the bar because of the great victory the night before and didnt want to drink drive to the rink in the morning, it is that time of yr.... :roll:

i think iv given up on some of the stars at the minute, jay and max for example are just quite simply under performing, whist people like tylor try their damndest every game.

If G is out for a while will we be bringing in a peroper big D man i wonder (or hope!!) mciver is about aint he?? atleast he offers some toughness

The Devils got stuck in the traffic on the M42

Fubar said:
just read the article in the Echo. Franny states they had the SAME GAME PLAN AS SATURDAY NIGHT, BUT THEY PLAYERS i stated previous...it lays on the players shoulders. Not G's, not Franny's, not BP!! Maybe next year we should recruit some players who give a rat's arse about the name on the front of the shirt as opposed to the wannabe (happy hockey days- no offence fella) devils on the back.

Agree with you there ! Have been thinking this for a while, fed up of excuses now. Unfortunately I think some players treat their stint as a holiday, rather than actually having to do some work!

I'm not a lover of the player coach arrangement and don't think it works for us.

Tyler would be the first I'd sign for next season, along with Jarvis, miller and anyone else who gives 100% +

As for the prima dona's no thanks, I've been really disheartened this season FOR GOD'S SAKE MAKE A BLOODY EFFORT !