2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

It's players of the calibre of McGrattan that are familiar to hockey fans over here, a skilled forward may be reasonably well known across the pond but probably less well known over here, the enforcers are the ones who initially put bums on seats as they are the ones British hockey fans can instantly identify with, the game of hockey is also still viewed as a physical sport by many fans over here with punch ups flaring up during matches on a regular basis.
My own personal opinion is that there is still a place for a no nonsense ex NHL enforcer on our team roster, it's reassuring knowing our skilled players have the best of protection to be able to play their natural game.

Was Brad Voth ex NHL? I bet few people ever had heard of him over here, but he managed to "put bums on seats" in fact he managed to put a few hockey players on their bums too. My point is that we don't need to pay huge amounts for this type of player, I agree with protecting skilled players but I'd rather spend our money on a real assassin. As one puts bums on seats and the other puts the biscuit into the net and winning puts even more bums on seats.

Who did a better job Bordy or Voth? which cost more?

If Bordy was to spend the same amount of time at our club then we would obviously know the answer to the Voth Bordy question.
They both make/made opposition players behave whilst on the ice but were there as many real tough men in the league when Voth ruled the roost? McMorrow had the better of him a couple of times, I doubt he would've with Bordy.
Better players in the league now better policemen on the ice required. Just my opinion.

voth26

If Bordy was to spend the same amount of time at our club then we would obviously know the answer to the Voth Bordy question.
They both make/made opposition players behave whilst on the ice but were there as many real tough men in the league when Voth ruled the roost? McMorrow had the better of him a couple of times, I doubt he would've with Bordy.
Better players in the league now better policemen on the ice required. Just my opinion.
As much as I like Bordy, I don't think he was consistent enough especially when said Lordo wanted him to fight more. Voth wasn't in the same league as Bordy fighting wise but he stepped up every game with hits or checks, and was always involved in any shenanigans and his team mates all knew he had their backs including players like wes Jarvis who was a tough guy in his own right

Rempel16

What I always found with Voth but there were times where he needed his team to back him up also, and the back up never came.

As for stepping up, I loved Brad, but I remember leaving games feeling like he'd not been physical enough when the game was crying out for it. He certainly wasn't all-action every single night. I guess it's just the nature of judging the tough guy / power forward. We know what they can do so we expect them to do it every time they hit the ice.

As much as I like Bordy, I don't think he was consistent enough especially when said Lordo wanted him to fight more. Voth wasn't in the same league as Bordy fighting wise but he stepped up every game with hits or checks, and was always involved in any shenanigans and his team mates all knew he had their backs including players like wes Jarvis who was a tough guy in his own right
I still think Paul Bissonnette would do a job for us. He'd chip in with points, and police the game. After only playing 18 games last season at AHL level, maybe he'd want to try elsewhere now he reealises his NHL days are finished? If I remember correctly, he said he loved being able to just play hockey rather than only being used as an enforcer whilst over here? Surely worth a punt?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

august04

I still think Paul Bissonnette would do a job for us. He'd chip in with points, and police the game. After only playing 18 games last season at AHL level, maybe he'd want to try elsewhere now he reealises his NHL days are finished? If I remember correctly, he said he loved being able to just play hockey rather than only being used as an enforcer whilst over here? Surely worth a punt?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I would love to have seen Bissonnette in a Devils jersey again but he has just had major knee surgery (ACL, MCL and cartilage). I really doubt we'd take him now.

Last edited:
With the roster size and import numbers decreasing 17 / 18 I think it's important to employ the services of a power forward who can warrant a place both on their skills and toughness, with a shorter bench everybody needs to earn their place, Desbiens was tough and could play, not in the same league as Bordy when fighting, these NHL enforcers are tough traditional battleships unfortunately the world has moved onto destroyers.

Hopefully the semi retired NHL Buckngham palace tour has been cancelled until further notice.

ASHIPP

We can detest the Desbiens and Riley types all we like but these are all-round,skilled power fowards with real toughness and nastiness. Would hope the Devils are looking to add another of this sort of player to our roster.

There will be little requirement for an out-and-out enforcer style whilst the Devils are playing top European teams.That is not the European style. But what will be required will be players who can deliver consistency offensively....and defensively.

Johnnybravo1927

All this talk of certain players not being in the same league as Bordeleau yet what did he actually do? He was unconvincing against Klotz and beat Keefe who is a foot shorter and past his best. His hitting was good but he did nothing to warrant his huge salary. Best enforcer I have seen in recent years was Cam Jannsen. Bordeleau was a better hockey player than I expected but wasnt an import quality player so his job was to enforce which we saw little of.

Fantasy hockey time you are a coach of a successful hockey team and you have to chose the bench roster for a play off final game, you have one place left which of the following would you chose :-

Bordeleau
Desbiens
Bob Random who is a top 20 ahl points scorer

Yes I know we look stacked but it's an important point, who would you chose?

Last edited:

Johnnybravo1927

Fantasy hockey time you are a coach of a successful hockey team and you have to chose the bench roster for a play off final game, you have one place left which of the following would

you chose :-

Bordeleau
Desbiens
Bob Random who is a top 20 ahl points scorer
Migration
Yes I know we look stacked but it's an important point, who would you chose?

Desbiens. Tough, gritty goal scorer