2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

ASHIPP

Batch is already signed. Don't worry about it :)
Hope really this is true. Good British defencemen at this level are few and far between. Josh adds size and physicality which makes him unique in that group of players. I am sure the level of his physical play last season would be down to bench instructions or even an injury.
He wasn't the only player to be 'benched' during the occassional game - Lordo's insistance of shortening the bench as part of a game plan was something AL mentioned in several interviews last season.

bb1

I'd sign Callum Buglass and convert Batch to a power forward.
We could certainly move Batch up as a 4th line forward. But realistically we could bring in another import D man.
He's shown his ability to score some seriously good highlight reel goals.

The one against Banksa saw him turn Matthew Miaone (who is a superb D man...one who which I'd sign in a heartbeat) inside out scoring a great goal.
We'd probably see him a lot more aggressive too

voth26

I'd be disappointed if we didn't re-sign Batch as I think he has great potential still but he needs to play to his obvious strengths and that's his physicality. That didn't happen as much as I'd like to see this past year. Would Lord not re-sign him though? I wouldn't be totally surprised if we didn't. Numerous times last season when the bench was shortened, Batch was often relegated to bench duty, which I'm sure he wasn't happy with either. This might explain the Ben Davies returning rumour too. We only have 5 spots for experienced Brits - Bowns, Murdy, Richardson, Batch, Myers. If (and it's a big if) Davies returns, who goes? An interesting few weeks ahead I think.
I'd be amazed if Batch didn't come back, granted he wasn't as physical as previous seasons but think that was more to do with Lordo possibly??. I can't see what we would gain by not resigning Batchy who is one of the biggest and toughest young Brits out there to be honest, unless Josh decides he doesn't want to return??

voth26

Hope so. I'm surprised we haven't released news of a few signings though, with the season ticket deadline approaching.
I'm not surprised to be honest given the amount of new St holders mentioned myself included. Previous years possibly the club needed to announce certain playersbut this year the ST might take care of itself given last season success??

Rempel16

I'm surprised that people are saying that Josh played less physical this season.... Perhaps in terms of fighting, but i wouldn't be surprised if he led the team defencemen in hits.

I think he'd excel being back in the power forward role as most of his hits come off the front foot, so he could easily adapt to hitting defencemen against the boards, as opposed to standing forwards up on the blue line / half wall boards.

Buglass is accelerated in development due to the u-23 rule, but each time he has played for the Devils he has looked assured and composed. I think he'd make a good addition.

I disagree with Fournier notion of being a good forward - i think his best offensive talent is jumping into the play, where he picks up the puck from a deeper position and exploits any gaps with his effortless skating style. As a forward he wouldn't be afforded the opportunity to see those gaps as he'd be playing much higher up the ice. Just my opinion of course.

bb1

Agree with Rempel16. Fournier is able to glide and gather speed from his own blue line much like Typlitsky did. He would be less effective as a forward imo.

I'm sure not matter what happens it will be a great team. After the season we just had.....I trust Lord 110%. He's the master at choosing the right guys and getting them to play for each other.
That alone is possibly the hardest task any coach ever has to face. You can drill different plays and tactics etc...into guys but you can't always make them play for each other. Lordo so far has managed to get our guys to do this better than any other team I've seen at any level.

Wannabe2

It's such a great time to be a Devils fan. Best ever in fact. Whoever is announced we are going to be well pleased about.Whether it's one of last seasons returnees, we are going to be well chuffed, if it's a newbie we are going to be well chuffed. Our amazing club are taking us on a journey of professionalism to rival anything we have ever experienced before. Our precious club has always deserved the best, and that's exactly what we now have, thank god. 3,100 fans are truly blessed to be able to say I am a Devils fan, and I bloody love it.