2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Wannabe2

Gazza272 said:
august04 said:
Louis and Batch are more important to us on the ice instead of fighting knuckleheads. That's the problem having all your toughness at the back end. I've never bought into "team toughness". In my opinion, it doesn't work when other teams are bringing in outright tough guys who are at another level of physicality. If we're done on recruitment, the rest will be rubbing their hands with glee.

But who is the rest? Coventry, Manchester and Braehead are the only two teams in the league who have signed an out and out enforcer?

Panthers might but that's less than half of our opponents.

Those teams will be a lot more worried about our firepower, than we are about their physicality.
Excuse me but Belfast didn't bring Nickerson in for his Good looks and grace, then you have Keefe, Blar Riley is one tough cookie with wins over Leigh Salters, Zack Fitzgerald, Mark Louis, Bobby Robins x2, Scott Sabourin. Then you have Jim Vandermeer the toughest of them all, with wins over Jannsen x2, Chris Neil, Brian McGrattan,George Parros,Aaron Downey, Zach Stortini, etc etc. Panthers will bring in a tough guy to replace Jannsen. As has been said our toughness is at the back, we need a bit of balance in my humble opinion with a power forward,that's why Salters was brought in. Now I love this team of ours but I also love a tough team, Louis is tough no doubt,and he can also play, Josh is one tough cookie and is a class act as his wonder goal showed Sunday, but I still think we need, and I hope we get a tough power forward, a clone of Ian McIntyre would be just the job.

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

But they fought - if they do a Sacritini or Lawless and cover up then there's nothing to fight - it takes 2 - Refs will step in if either player doesn't want to fight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JT666

Let's also not forget that casual punters largely go to the Ice Hockey to witness power forwards drop the gloves and make huge hits. Sure they like to see a team winning, and they can appreciate skill as well, but they mostly associate the sport with these type of players.

If bland euro hockey is served up every week, then whilst it may satisfy the hockey purist, I'm afraid crowds could dwindle. Batch's goal aside, was anyone genuinely entertained last night? I thought the absence of any atmosphere strongly suggested not (this isn't taking anything away from Jason Harrold, who I thought was an excellent announcer).

As skillful as our team clearly is, I just feel we lack that big character forward to lift the players and the crowd alike. I really like the look of Louis, but I think we lack his equivalent in the forward ranks. I'm not advocating signing a complete meathead, but a big bloke who can handle himself wouldn't go amiss in my opinion.

Devil_Abroad

So you're stating that the 'casual' punter (comes to one or two games) should dictate the make up if the team? I'd rather have regular fans celebrating championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JT666 said:
Let's also not forget that casual punters largely go to the Ice Hockey to witness power forwards drop the gloves and make huge hits. Sure they like to see a team winning, and they can appreciate skill as well, but they mostly associate the sport with these type of players.

If bland euro hockey is served up every week, then whilst it may satisfy the hockey purist, I'm afraid crowds could dwindle. Batch's goal aside, was anyone genuinely entertained last night? I thought the absence of any atmosphere strongly suggested not (this isn't taking anything away from Jason Harrold, who I thought was an excellent announcer).

As skillful as our team clearly is, I just feel we lack that big character forward to lift the players and the crowd alike. I really like the look of Louis, but I think we lack his equivalent in the forward ranks. I'm not advocating signing a complete meathead, but a big bloke who can handle himself wouldn't go amiss in my opinion.
Agree on the whole. A lot of bored people around. It worries me that Lord doesn't see this. Our team is very skilled and will win many games this season. Im confident of that.
Really not confident that i'll be entertained though which saddens me.

JT666

Devil_Abroad said:
So you're stating that the 'casual' punter (comes to one or two games) should dictate the make up if the team? I'd rather have regular fans celebrating championships.

Not at all. As it happens, I don't think signing a lone power forward would dramatically alter the 'make up' of the team, rather it could compliment the excellent signings we have already made.

However I recognise the importance from a business perspective of filling our circa 3,000 capacity arena. Whilst you and I may appreciate skillful hockey, many, rightly or wrongly, want to be entertained with big hits and the occasional fight. A skillful power forward could essentially please both sides.

Wannabe2

JT666 said:

And yet the same two teams played each other Saturday night, and it was a blast, and not only because of the score, Sunday's crowd wasn't very good, two games on the trot in a friendly is never going to be easy and that didn't help. We came close to filling out our new gaff at the tail end of last season. How can we serve up bland euro hockey every week when we are playing in the EIHL every week, it's called horses for courses, At the moment we are still putting peices of the puzzle
together, that's what pre season games are about, and we will have learnt a lot from them. Let's get the final piece of the puzzle in and with the awesome talent here already we will be ready for anyone. I really, really like this team,we are going to cause a lot of serious damage to many others, and that ain't easy when you think of other teams having bigger venues, and bigger crowds. We now at long last have the three ingredients any team needs to be successful, a superb venue, a superb ownership, and superb fans. It will come together of that I am confident of big time. Come the season proper we will be more than ready for the other pretenders.

Devil_Abroad

JT666 said:
Devil_Abroad said:

Not at all. As it happens, I don't think signing a lone power forward would dramatically alter the 'make up' of the team, rather it could compliment the excellent signings we have already made.

However I recognise the importance from a business perspective of filling our circa 3,000 capacity arena. Whilst you and I may appreciate skillful hockey, many, rightly or wrongly, want to be entertained with big hits and the occasional fight. A skillful power forward could essentially please both sides.
I agree with big hits and no doubt there will be occasional fights as and when players don't appreciate the big hits or fancy stick work etc

Interesting view about one power forward not dramatically altering the 'make up' of the team; I'm tending to agree with that too whilst complementing the excellent signings - and if Lord becomes a bench coach then it would be good in my eyes. But I don't think he will and so I'm worried about the 'extra player' affect again, so if Lord plays I think I would rather this be it now.

Having seen the low attendance for 4 friendlies against top top sides I too am now worried about filling 3,000 seats for every game not only from the business side but also the affect it can have on the atmosphere. I hope Todd and the Commercial bods have good plans in place to attract the fans.

Devil_Abroad

Devil_Abroad said:
JT666 said:
Devil_Abroad said:

I agree with big hits and no doubt there will be occasional fights as and when players don't appreciate the big hits or fancy stick work etc

Interesting view about one power forward not dramatically altering the 'make up' of the team; I'm tending to agree with that too whilst complementing the excellent signings - and if Lord becomes a bench coach then it would be good in my eyes. But I don't think he will and so I'm worried about the 'extra player' affect again, so if Lord plays I think I would rather this be it now.

Having seen the low attendance for 4 friendlies against top top sides I too am now worried about filling 3,000 seats for every game not only from the business side but also the affect it can have on the atmosphere. I hope Todd and the Commercial bods have good plans in place to attract the fans.

Of course, living 170 miles away and therefore not able to buy a season ticket, if it does become a roaring success like in the WNIR days then I will have to be very quick on the computer to snap up the tickets for the games I can make! Haha

august04

Wannabe2 said:
JT666 said:

And yet the same two teams played each other Saturday night, and it was a blast, and not only because of the score, Sunday's crowd wasn't very good, two games on the trot in a friendly is never going to be easy and that didn't help. We came close to filling out our new gaff at the tail end of last season. How can we serve up bland euro hockey every week when we are playing in the EIHL every week, it's called horses for courses, At the moment we are still putting peices of the puzzle
together, that's what pre season games are about, and we will have learnt a lot from them. Let's get the final piece of the puzzle in and with the awesome talent here already we will be ready for anyone. I really, really like this team,we are going to cause a lot of serious damage to many others, and that ain't easy when you think of other teams having bigger venues, and bigger crowds. We now at long last have the three ingredients any team needs to be successful, a superb venue, a superb ownership, and superb fans. It will come together of that I am confident of big time. Come the season proper we will be more than ready for the other pretenders.
The final piece of the puzzle and whether we're going to get that kind of player is what is prolonging the debate here. I want it too, as I'm sure a few more would wish also. If what Lord said is correct though, we may not get what we want. For me, that would be a big mistake in our recruiting for this year. Forget that we hit Banska around in game 1, you can't compare their style of play and physicality with what we're going to see week in, week out from beefed up EIHL teams. If we don't get that final piece of the puzzle, our skilled players could be in for a long, hard season.

ASHIPP

Am sure that if there is a need to add further toughness once the season starts, that it will be addressed quickly.
Get the feeling the Devils are going to see how it goes in the early weeks and making an assessment on toughness levels in our league. A sensible approach..
Who are these enforcer types going to fight? They will want to fight similar enforcer types and if they are playing a team that doesn't have one or any willing opponents, said enforcers can look forward to the trip to the sin bin which places their own team at a disadvantage.

It is possible to have toughness and intimidation without enforcers on the team. Feisty guys and characters are important for crowd entertainment but it doesn't win games alone.

What do fans really want? A winning team or entertainment? We want both and that's a tough ask.
One of the biggest criticisms about Steelers from their own fans is that, despite winning tbe league twice recently, they play boring hockey. Panthers' fans have moaned at times about non creative hockey yet look at their winning record.

Devil_Abroad

Can't believe they would sign him as a replacement for Jansen? Only 4 seasons played at AHL, one season he hardly played, mostly played ECHL and didn't score many points there.

ASHIPP

Devil_Abroad said:
Can't believe they would sign him as a replacement for Jansen? Only 4 seasons played at AHL, one season he hardly played, mostly played ECHL and didn't score many points there.

He was injured for large part of one season. Think some of their fans are hoping for the return of Gui Lepine and Lindhagen could then play forward. Lepine..blue print for the very tough stay-at-home defenceman. A beast with class!

Devil_Abroad

ASHIPP said:
Devil_Abroad said:

He was injured for large part of one season. Think some of their fans are hoping for the return of Gui Lepine and Lindhagen could then play forward. Lepine..blue print for the very tough stay-at-home defenceman. A beast with class!
Surely a better option?

Devil94

Devil_Abroad said:
ASHIPP said:
Devil_Abroad said:

Surely a better option?
Often the best option are not possible.... He would be a good signing for them if that's the route they're going down. Very tough. I remember seeing him drop John Scott a couple of years ago.

Well i think if we do plan to "stick it out" for a while and "see how it goes". we wont have to wait too long, the true test is going to be Braehead 1st weekend.
I guess after this game we will see if :-

1. we get beaten up
2 we get pushed around
3 enforcers throw their weight around with the smaller skillfull guys
4 we do actually need this new guy
5 the points go our way based on all the above

until now although we have played class teams, they have been friendlies. When we play week in week out against team that want to takes points away from us and also fighting for the points themselves we will see.

Let hope we don't leave it too late. because if this new guy is a done deal, he is already missing out on some greatly needed chemistry.

Not long now!