2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Wannabe2

Wannabe2 said:
Steelers play Blaze Wednesday at Coventry, there is a webcast I believe of this, think that will give us a better view of how good they will be.
Sorry it's Panthers at Coventry Wednesday, and there is a webcast.

bb1

Ocko said:
From Simmsey's periscope; Daryll Hay was approached for the bench coach job instead of Franny. His source was someone in Rio (obviously Seth Bennett).
To Lordos credit he would be top 5 player on most teams in EIHL. He still does a great job for us but I feel he will do a better job on the bench and prove himself as the best coach in league if he wanted to. His recruitment skills are second to none and if he stepped back from ice he could lead this current roster to big things.

Not saying he played badly last night or last weekend but he certainly wasn't noticeable like he once was...probably because the heavy burden he carries. If can bring in a Rosehill type player and Lordo as a spare/bench coach we will see some of the finest hockey the Devils have ever played with the talent in the roster.

Hope we bring someone in soon as we don't want to see Louis or batch having to charge up ice to pull guys like Fitzy off our players.

Jonesy83

My girlfriend asked Lord at the player meet and greet after tonight's game if the door was open for the Devils to be bringing any more players in and his reply was 'we are closed for business'.

august04

Jonesy83 said:
My girlfriend asked Lord at the player meet and greet after tonight's game if the door was open for the Devils to be bringing any more players in and his reply was 'we are closed for business'.
Oh dear......very disappointed and and concerned to read this.

Well in that case hopefully they already have a power forward signed up but haven't announced then yet. Imo we do need a power forward, so fingers crossed. Personally I think it will be a mistake if we don't, be a very very long season for batch & Louis.

ASHIPP

If the rumour is true that Franny might be leaving the bench to undertake more business responsibilities at the Club, then one of two things could happen:

Either Lordo goes fulltime to the bench as Head Coach (a natural progression sooner or later) meaning a replacement player would be required. Hopefully a very tough power forward.

Or the Club will seek an individual with appropriate experience to run the bench with Jamie Elson supporting if Lordo continues playing . Certainly isn't a job one person can do alone.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1,188
ASHIPP said:
If the rumour is true that Franny might be leaving the bench to undertake more business responsibilities at the Club, then one of two things could happen:

Either Lordo goes fulltime to the bench as Head Coach (a natural progression sooner or later) meaning a replacement player would be required. Hopefully a very tough power forward.

Or the Club will seek an individual with appropriate experience to run the bench if Lordo continues playing with Jamie Elson supporting. Certainly isn't a job one person can do alone.
That's not a rumour, it was announced by the club on Friday!

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/new-r ... l-francis/

bb1

Jonesy83 said:
I hope this is not the case and that Lordo is just keeping quiet on things. Steve King has said that toughness won't be an issue. Also Simmsey (whether he's stirring or not) seems to think we are after a tough guy.

We do look like we need a 'character' forward as the team doesn't really have any playes that can terrorise/change a game in a way like a Janssen or Kerfe would. Not knocking our guys as each is superb but they were not brought in to play that role.

Also after seeing some of the latest acquisitions in the leagues find it hard to believe we are not going to bring in a tough forward. Belfast, Braehead, Coventry and Steelers will have the guys to bully our forwards if they so please. If we don't then unfortunately Lordo may have to learn the hard way and I'm sure our guys like Doucette, Bentivoglio and Ulmer won't be too happy.

Other leagues are going softer but ours has took a big turn toward proper old school hockey this season

Even if we are looking to sign a tough guy/power forward, the club won't be stupid enough to give any more hints about it - not with Nottingham clearly in the market for a Janssen replacement.

Gazza272

bb1 said:
Other leagues are going softer but ours has took a big turn toward proper old school hockey this season

There's been about 4 players signed across the whole league.

Also players of that ilk always get less effective the longer a season goes on.

On saturday the Lord, myers, haddad line had Banska pinned in their zone with constant hitting and pressure. I saw Ulmer, the Hotham's throw their weight around.

If the team has a buy in to be physical it will work. We have two very handy guys with their fists who can take on any challenge in this league.

I think signing an extra import is going to cause more issues than it solves with this team.

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Gazza272 said:
bb1 said:

There's been about 4 players signed across the whole league.

Also players of that ilk always get less effective the longer a season goes on.

On saturday the Lord, myers, haddad line had Banska pinned in their zone with constant hitting and pressure. I saw Ulmer, the Hotham's throw their weight around.

If the team has a buy in to be physical it will work. We have two very handy guys with their fists who can take on any challenge in this league.

I think signing an extra import is going to cause more issues than it solves with this team.
I tend to agree - unless Lord is going to be the bench coach then having an extra import brings baggage that could cost us longer term - after seeing the checking line I doubt whether Lord would want to be a bench coach.

The guys are tough enough - all the majority need to do is continue to check hard and avoid the fights with other teams' fighters. Leave that to Louis. Batch can intervene when he feels liberties are being taken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

august04

Louis and Batch are more important to us on the ice instead of fighting knuckleheads. That's the problem having all your toughness at the back end. I've never bought into "team toughness". In my opinion, it doesn't work when other teams are bringing in outright tough guys who are at another level of physicality. If we're done on recruitment, the rest will be rubbing their hands with glee.

Gazza272

august04 said:
Louis and Batch are more important to us on the ice instead of fighting knuckleheads. That's the problem having all your toughness at the back end. I've never bought into "team toughness". In my opinion, it doesn't work when other teams are bringing in outright tough guys who are at another level of physicality. If we're done on recruitment, the rest will be rubbing their hands with glee.

But who is the rest? Coventry, Manchester and Braehead are the only two teams in the league who have signed an out and out enforcer?

Panthers might but that's less than half of our opponents.

Those teams will be a lot more worried about our firepower, than we are about their physicality.

A lot of teams have toughened up - even ones which were tough last year. Look at Belfast - Nickerson, Keefe, Vandermeer and have added an additional AHL power forward in Riley.

That's a lot of players for Louis and Batch to deal with (and it seems that Batch's family are concerned to see so many fans putting him in to the fighter mould).

Vandermeer seemed to levy quite a beat down on one of the Fischtown Pinguins players yesterday evening - they won't be scared to mix things up against us, and as soon as Louis is in the box it could turn in to open season.

Devil_Abroad

Re: 2016/2017 Rumours & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Pickett said:
A lot of teams have toughened up - even ones which were tough last year. Look at Belfast - Nickerson, Keefe, Vandermeer and have added an additional AHL power forward in Riley.

That's a lot of players for Louis and Batch to deal with (and it seems that Batch's family are concerned to see so many fans putting him in to the fighter mould).

Vandermeer seemed to levy quite a beat down on one of the Fischtown Pinguins players yesterday evening - they won't be scared to mix things up against us, and as soon as Louis is in the box it could turn in to open season.
Enforcers won't batter non-fighters - if they do then they break their code and will immediately be in trouble with DOPS. Players who aren't fighters won't fight the enforcers - they will only engage with the other players on that team.

Nice concept.. but in reality that doesn't happen.

E.g if one of our players makes a bit hit and hurts one of the opposition, but they are a non-fighter, do you really think that'll stop Fitzgerald from dropping the gloves and laying a beating? No.

Good example would be when Hudson laid a big hit on Keith (I believe) and Fitzgerald ploughed straight in and went to task on Hudson..regardless of the fact he's not a willing combatant.

The result will be that players don't feel they have any protection and will back off the physical side of the game.

august04

Devil_Abroad said:
Pickett said:

Enforcers won't batter non-fighters - if they do then they break their code and will immediately be in trouble with DOPS. Players who aren't fighters won't fight the enforcers - they will only engage with the other players on that team.

That didn't stop Valabik going for Doucet last season or Fitzgerald running riot against us in one particular game I recall against the Steelers. And that was with Salters in the team....
And Gazza, teams have toughened up considerably and I'm almost certain Nottingham will do the same in the coming weeks.