2015/2016 Rumour & Offseason Random Shenanigans

Finny

Ocko said:
I cant help but think that Myers wouldve been a better option though, I cant see a great deal between them on ability (although very different players) and as one import will have to sit, at least with Myers you have the beauty of him being able to play every game without it being at the expense of another.
But when Myers got injured, we didn't have another import-quality brit to replace him. Jones and CJ did well but weren't the same standard.

If we do sign Culligan too then it means we can bring him/Hervato in when players are injured or just in need of a rest.

zoesdevil

douchen91 said:
Think the line up could look like this. What a team that is, roll on next season theres bags of goals in this team!!

Kurka Martin Doucet
Walters Lord Morrisette
Haddad Hervato Walton
CJ Piggott (spare)

(Import) - Richie
Hudson - Marsh
Batch - Hendo

Bownsy
Will
Do you think this spare could be Liam Stewart?

zoesdevil

Ocko said:
Like a few others I will happily eat humble pie should he prove to be a good fit.

I cant help but think that Myers wouldve been a better option though, I cant see a great deal between them on ability (although very different players) and as one import will have to sit, at least with Myers you have the beauty of him being able to play every game without it being at the expense of another.

He's obviously rated very highly in Hull and I will support him as much as any other player but it's strange to run with a spare import at the expense of a local British player when he doesnt seem a great deal better.
But do you think Lord thinks that Myers takes too many pens, bans & injuries & maybe money is better spent on Hervato?

Rempel16

zoesdevil said:
douchen91 said:
Think the line up could look like this. What a team that is, roll on next season theres bags of goals in this team!!

Kurka Martin Doucet
Walters Lord Morrisette
Haddad Hervato Walton
CJ Piggott (spare)

(Import) - Richie
Hudson - Marsh
Batch - Hendo

Bownsy
Will
I believe Liam Stewart counts as an import.

bb1

We do have a huge void to fill in terms of Myers. He was one of best fore checkers in league and created a lot of turnovers behind opponents net. He created havoc for D men. Mychan had times where he did too. Plus both were grinders.

Bottom line is we have a new look forward style of play based more on speed and skill. However IMO we do need more physicality up front as there are some bid tough D men in league

Have Hope#35

zoesdevil said:
douchen91 said:

Kurka Martin Doucet
Walters Lord Morrisette
Haddad Hervato Walton
CJ Piggott (spare)

(Import) - Richie
Hudson - Marsh
Batch - Hendo

Bownsy
Will
If we carry a spare it will almost definitely be Culligan imho!

Finny

We should run a sweepstake as to how many games into the season it takes before the Inferno goes into meltdown amid claims we aren't tough enough!

There's no question that we have lost quite a bit of physicality, and have replaced it with an excess of scoring ability. Sheffield had no real toughness last season but still won the league. We arguably played our best hockey of the season when we replaced Mychan with Markku despite the loss in physicality.

We have to remember though that last year's team was built with our small rink in mind and it allowed us to be physical at home. With the move to the bigger pad this coming season it's not really a surprise we have gone for more of a mix with faster, smaller players like Doucet, Kurka and Hervato.

Wannabe2 said:
He is having a friggin laugh, come on this is a friggin joke. We are just a little bit, no a huge bit better than this. So funny it ain't true. This is Cardiff mate, not the friggin outback. steelers need to worry about us, and they obviously are. What the hell does Simmsy now about us, we'll I will tell you jack All that's what. steelers your days are numbered believe me. You worry about the Panthers and your little rivalry, Devils are going to mix it up big time, believe me.

Will no doubt be shot down in flames but having read the last 10 of so pages, I have to ask:

Why would a player like Culligan who seems decent enough and in the middle of his career, become a spare import?

And has carrying a spare import ever been a success in the EIHL?

wildthing74

I would expect had there been no injury in the playoffs he would have been back as part of the 13 imports/EU passport no question. If we can bring him in with no pressure to be fit from the off everyone wins. He's quality.

Mooney#16

Am I missing something. Myers was the second line centre last year and he has been released for Kurka our previous first line centre. I'll take that trade up any day. Kurka with Doucet and Salters is an evil line to play against. It has everything.

Now Hervato has replaced Tathinen and between him and Culli will cover spare duties I guess. A 16 goal scorer as your spare import though. What's to cry about. I don't get it. That line up is stacked. Insanely. Walton I think 5th or 6th league points scorer is on the third line. That's a lot of firepower by any standard.

If Hotham is back then yes there is pressure on the D to get the job done on the goals against but give me this sort of run and gun team to watch any day.

Mooney#16

J.B said:
Will no doubt be shot down in flames but having read the last 10 of so pages, I have to ask:

Why would a player like Culligan who seems decent enough and in the middle of his career, become a spare import?

And has carrying a spare import ever been a success in the EIHL?
I think there were enough injuries last year to justify a spare but I hope Lordo uses them genuinely to get guys out of the line up quickly not as a last resort.

Todd has had some success with a spare in Belfast so of all the GM's in the league I'm not shocked he's backed a spare. I believe Culli may be studying here as well if he returns. He is very much in the Devils long term plans as far as I knew last.

zoesdevil

zoesdevil said:
KaneDevils said:
If nobody has guessed right a new signing, then doesn't that surely rule out kurka?
I think he'll be back, as a re-signing, could be Steves sneaky way of not telling us!! As he's played for us before, hence we're re-signing him!! Possibly maybe!! Who knows!!

I rest my case, game, set & match!! :D :RAWK

voth26

douchen91 said:

Kurka Martin Doucet
Walters Lord Morrisette
Haddad Hervato Walton
CJ Piggott (spare)

(Import) - Richie
Hudson - Marsh
Batch - Hendo

Bownsy
Will
Who's Walters?? Unless you meant Salters?

terry hunt

I love the reaction by wannabe to the Simms comment.

It made the day for me.

Its only July and Simmsy has released the pentup Devils passion already.

I wonder if Steve King tipped off Simms to wind us up?

voth26 said:
douchen91 said:

Kurka Martin Doucet
Walters Lord Morrisette
Haddad Hervato Walton
CJ Piggott (spare)

(Import) - Richie
Hudson - Marsh
Batch - Hendo

Bownsy
Will
Who's Walters?? Unless you meant Salters?
My bad, Salters I meant. Autocorrect trying to be smart... I'm surprised people are thinking of Culligan just as a spare... He was one of my favourite players to watch last season - he never gives up on the puck, covered on D for a long time and scored some memorable goals (THAT goal at home against Giants, CC final GWG..)

I'm surprised people are thinking of Culligan just as a spare... He was one of my favourite players to watch last season - he never gives up on the puck, covered on D for a long time and scored some memorable goals (THAT goal at home against Giants, CC final GWG..)
I really liked Culli, and would have had him back straight away, but I think the last two signings make it less likely he'll resign. I think we'll need that (slightly mythical) NHL enforcer. They wouldn't be a spare then, but rather an alternate on each line. If you take Kurka, Mo and Walton out of their respective, predicted lines and swap in Mr Tough then each of those lines is transformed. They become hard, confrontational lines which can turn a game if we are being bullied. I don't think Culli will add this dimension to the team.
Which means he will undoubtedly sign next week :)