2014/2015 Player movement rumours

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #701
Finny said:
Chris said:
Sounds like there's a Steelers signing due on Friday...

Wonder if the player will announce themselves beforehand :D
Not announced by the players, but the Mods on Steeltalk are either on a windup or have got themselves into a bit of trouble:

Based on Seth Bennetts comments at Jayboy on twitter, i'm going with the view that they posted it by mistake, and have broken the embargo :lol:

So that's the last 3 signings now they've managed to get confirmed the day before anything was supposed to happen, amazing really!

Finny

Jayboy seems to be bigging up Matheiu Roy, suggesting he will outscore our own Brent Walton....but I'm not too sure.
Roy had one phenomenal season in the ECHL where he finished as top goalscorer and points scorer with 38 goals and 89 points. But the other seasons were pretty average and I would have him down to score around 28 goals. The other guy a couple less.

First time I've been on Steeltalk in a while, but it's interesting to see that Doom is still doing his goalscoring predictions too and it sounds like they are very similar to mine.

Mooney#16

I do have sympathy for Simmsey sometimes as he really does have to work his jiblets off to keep polishing the turd known as the Steelers. The trophies have always masked what is a potential train wreck of a club and Simmsey has worked hard to quash the rumblings of discontent this summer especially. Strange how their player exodus has gone completely un noticed. That club has issues right now. At least their fans for the most part are a bit more dense and in the mushroom growth mentality bracket. What was the # the players were using.

ASHIPP

Mooney#16 said:
I do have sympathy for Simmsey sometimes as he really does have to work his jiblets off to keep polishing the turd known as the Steelers. The trophies have always masked what is a potential train wreck of a club and Simmsey has worked hard to quash the rumblings of discontent this summer especially. Strange how their player exodus has gone completely un noticed. That club has issues right now. At least their fans for the most part are a bit more dense and in the mushroom growth mentality bracket. What was the # the players were using.
Either Steelers' fans are playing it down by saying they are hoping for upgrades on players or simply haven't noticed how big the exodus is. Apart from the 3 originals on uni deals, all their imports from last year have gone.

Does this mean they weren't offered contracts again this season, or were offered contracts they weren't happy with? To lose an excellent player/captain like Goertzen to a rival team has to raise questions.
Get the impression they are announcing players as soon as they are signed. I don't buy the 'waiting game' story at all..... they are targeting the same players as other clubs. Except these players are choosing other clubs. The media 'spin' from Steelers will sell it a different way.

Have Hope#35

scottydoesntknow said:
Not sure about my source on this one but would love it if he were right!
...Ryan Ginand to devils :twisted:
According to Coventry he was a difficult personality to play with (and not a team player)... There's no doubting his quality though!

Skippy

Have Hope#35 said:
scottydoesntknow said:
According to Coventry he was a difficult personality to play with (and not a team player)... There's no doubting his quality though!
He didn't have much of a team to play with last season at Coventry.. early on in the season he looked at us behind the desk and laughed shook his head and shrugged when the rest of his team were a good 30 feet behind him getting ready for a face off.

Have Hope#35

skippy said:
Have Hope#35 said:
scottydoesntknow said:
He didn't have much of a team to play with last season at Coventry.. early on in the season he looked at us behind the desk and laughed shook his head and shrugged when the rest of his team were a good 30 feet behind him getting ready for a face off.
I'd still be pleased if we did sign him... Just heard that was the reason Coventry never pursued his return! Exactly the type of Forward we need as I think we have enough toughies now, another player in the Walton mould please...

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #709
Based on the current import lineup, and Steve Kings comments I imagine it'll be another Canadian signing, Ginand is American...

Must be a Canadian version somewhere? :p

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #710
Stars signing at 6pm, they were being linked to an ex Devils d-man and Milams name popped up a few times on THF/twitter before it went quiet...

Which probably means it'll be someone completely different :lol:

ASHIPP said:
Either Steelers' fans are playing it down by saying they are hoping for upgrades on players or simply haven't noticed how big the exodus is. Apart from the 3 originals on uni deals, all their imports from last year have gone.
Maybe I am playing it down a bit as I don't feel worried or anything but likewise I think calling it a big exodus is playing it up.

The same thing happened last season when Christiansen came in. The only imports that returned were Goertzen and Fata for their 2nd year of Uni deals plus Legue. In fact looking back over last 5 seasons unless I have missed some players the number of returning imports is generally around the same amount. The Steelers don't seem to re-sign many imports outside uni deals unless its the likes of Sarich and Legue who have been around for a fair few seasons.

2014/2015 Import returnees = 3 - Baldwin, Kohn, Doyle
2013/2014 Import returnees = 3 - Goertzen, Fata, Legue
2012/2013 Import returnees = 4 - DeCaro, Sarich, Stephenson, Legue
2011/2012 Import returnees = 2 - Sarich, Clark, Legue
2010/2011 Import returnees = 3 - Bolibruck, Sarich, Legue

I was expecting the majority of the imports to leave as new coaches tend to want to bring in their own team anyway and as mentioned not many imports often return.

I was hoping Goertzen would return but was expecting him to go to a decent European league as coming off a Uni deal I would have thought he would want a raise plus extra he had given up in taking a Uni deal. Seeing Goertzen then go to Coventry was a big shock and very disappointing.

I wasn't fussed about Fata, Langlais or Lacroix returning. I would have liked Blight back as the new dual national import but once Sarich returned and the disrespectful articles about him potentially being injured came out I didn't think he would return.

I expected Legue to return but wasn't surprised he hasn't after he was a offered a 3 year deal with the Steeldogs as I think 1 more year for Steelers might have been it for him anyway. Would have liked DiCasmirro and Meyer back but always thought they would go abroad. Thought Spencer might have returned but if it was as a Dman as had been suggested I would have said no myself plus no way he was turning down an AHL contract to come back.

The Nell experiment didn't work out so wasn't expecting him back and with the extra import I also expected to lose Meyers or Thomas although I had hoped it would have been Thomas that had gone personally.

I expect Woolhouse to return with Jaszczyk as 3rd cover again so for me its not been that much different to most off-seasons for the Steelers signing wise, outside losing long timer Legue and not having a load of off ice issue coming up.

kettdevil1

scottydoesntknow said:
Please no!! One of my least favourite players of recent years....... Fair play, he scored a few but the constant moaning, falling over and 'individual' approach to the game meant that he was very difficult to like.

Sliput

kettdevil1 said:
scottydoesntknow said:
Please no!! One of my least favourite players of recent years....... Fair play, he scored a few but the constant moaning, falling over and 'individual' approach to the game meant that he was very difficult to like.
I think that was more to do with no respect for the coach and the fact that he was always left to do the work as his linemates didnt give a toss.

If coached properly , I would have him in a Devils shirt.

kettdevil1

Sliput said:
kettdevil1 said:
scottydoesntknow said:
I think that was more to do with no respect for the coach and the fact that he was always left to do the work as his linemates didnt give a toss.

If coached properly , I would have him in a Devils shirt.

Mmmm wouldn't disagree with the comments about coach and team but the constant moaning and diving annoyed me.... I guess it is just that some players, no matter how good, come across as thinking they are bigger than the team. I remember when we signed Brebant, I knew he would score a hatful but I still was gutted when he signed....

Chris said:
Stars signing at 6pm, they were being linked to an ex Devils d-man and Milams name popped up a few times on THF/twitter before it went quiet...

Which probably means it'll be someone completely different :lol:
I think you're getting Fife and Dundee mixed up ;)

DevilDom

kettdevil1 said:
scottydoesntknow said:
Got to agree with Kettdevil on this. No doubt he would score a hatful but the team has to be bigger than the sum of its parts. I don't see Ginand as a team player at all and i want to be proud of the players that pull on a Devils jersey not cringe when they dive or fall over trying to win penalties.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #719
The last post has been deleted for very obvious reasons... Can we keep this player related rather than anything else please.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #720
Fife signing tomorrow...
@FifeFlyers said:
New signing, preseason announcement, sponsors and game night volunteers just some of the news this week. How about another signing tomorrow?
Names mentioned on THF so far are Scott Fleming and Jamie Milam