2012/13 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

He is listed as a centre, which would be a surprise to me as there is currently a contract ready for Stu to sign. Even if he had turned us down in the last couple of days (hypothetical!) I would be shocked if we were able to sign an alternative centre in the short space of time available.
Unless of course he can play as a winger too of course.

Well someone put on Twitter they spoke to a steeler and he is in Sheffield talking talking to ex team mates #big signing. Is finnerty just using the money to buy all players G brought here?

Intriguing post on twitter couple of hours ago

"Dease ‏@dease21
Just spoke to a friend on the Steelers, I'm hearing a certain ex NHL player & Ex Devil is in town "visiting ex teammates" #bigsigning"

If Steelers sign Weller this is possible the worst off season to date (ignoring off ice activities). If it happened the next devils signing would need to be HUGE

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Wannabe2

Forget the Steelers crap machine its the same every year, they won jack shite last year, lets concentrate on our team and leave the Yorkshire clap trap to there own bull poo.

TheStub

Thread starter #914
If Finnerty has to drop that much cash in a hope of winning the league, good luck to him.

We can't compete, so I can't feel bitter... but I do worry about the team he is building, because he seems to be spending big on players already known.

Finny

If Weller does go to the Steelers then either someone in Sheffield has won the lottery or they have gambling massively financially on money = success = bigger crowds.

If this continues then Finnerty has to win a grand slam or he will make Corey Neilson look like a coaching genius.

TheStub

Thread starter #916
Finny said:
If Weller does go to the Steelers then either someone in Sheffield has won the lottery or they have gambling massively financially on money = success = bigger crowds.

If this continues then Finnerty has to win a grand slam or he will make Corey Neilson look like a coaching genius.
And so continues the Steelers cycle.

They haven't built the team - they seem to continuously mortgaged their future, and now the fan base expect it. What they need is someone to put up the white flag, go "sod it - we're going have a rebuilding season" and do it from the ground up.

With the losses Smith went into last season with, and the seeming spend this year, I would guess all of this season's Season Ticket money went into covering last season, and this season is spending big in the hopes that it'll cover it. I think this may be the beginning of the end of the Smith era.

Paul Sullivan

TheStub said:
Finny said:

And so continues the Steelers cycle.

They haven't built the team - they seem to continuously mortgaged their future, and now the fan base expect it. What they need is someone to put up the white flag, go "sod it - we're going have a rebuilding season" and do it from the ground up.

With the losses Smith went into last season with, and the seeming spend this year, I would guess all of this season's Season Ticket money went into covering last season, and this season is spending big in the hopes that it'll cover it. I think this may be the beginning of the end of the Smith era.
Finally I get to disagree with you ;)

Tony is a lot sharper than that and extremely capable. Also he has been around long enough to witness a great many of the fiscal mistakes made by previous Steelers 'future mortgagers'. I am not saying he can't make a mistake but I would actually believe that the way last season was run, the crowds they achieved and the ST sales this year mean that the team there could very feasibly be funding itself.

Which is scary.

As for the nelson comparison made - if Finner were to be able to continue the spending spiral he seems to be on that I think DC would be a better parallel. Grand Slam or job-hunting.