2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

TheStub

Re: Re: 2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

wildthing74 said:
Colt King and Ryan McDonald to Steelers this week.Can see unrest on here if the first one gets confirmed but I've been told its a done deal :eek:
Not sure why people would have grounds to be upset - just because the fans want to sign a player doesn't obligate anyone. Maybe Colt was never on our radar, and isn't a player that G thinks will work in his system.

Still would be nice to see a player with his skill and grit anywhere in the league

The fans are bound to be upset if its a money issue, we are fast becoming the poor relation. Im very frustrated at this but im afraid we had better get used to it as until we get a bigger rink nothing will change. What gets to me is we sont complain yet the steelers fans moan about everything and seem to get what they want.

wildthing74

TheStub said:
wildthing74 said:
Colt King and Ryan McDonald to Steelers this week.Can see unrest on here if the first one gets confirmed but I've been told its a done deal :eek:
Not sure why people would have grounds to be upset - just because the fans want to sign a player doesn't obligate anyone. Maybe Colt was never on our radar, and isn't a player that G thinks will work in his system.

Still would be nice to see a player with his skill and grit anywhere in the league
You telling me nobody on here would be upset after us trying to get him for last few years that our biggest rivals go and get him?

A

Anonymous

It's all about balance though, right? If it is revealed to be Colt King then the books would be balanced with signings like Chad Huttel. Who might turn out to be a great signing who knows. But I doubt very much that he will be on a substantial package?

Its all about getting the right mix/balance. Skill attitude and financially.

Never seen the whole thing with Colt King, great name though!!

CHL stats point a game and 8 fights in a season....... I know he is meant to be a hitter etc

Obviously if G has been trying to get him for a few seasons then he must have something.

TheStub

samidevils said:
Obviously if G has been trying to get him for a few seasons then he must have something.
Has G been trying, or did we just want him to be?

Too similar a player to Voth if we are honest, so it is probably a one or other decision. As we have been sticking with Voth then would Colt have fitted?

When did anyone apart from a few posters on this site talk about Colt King coming to the Devils i have never heard G or Frannie mention him EVER only fans on this site for goodness sake let the boss do his job and stop thinking for him .

Exactly my thoughts, I cant see how a club can be critisised for not being able attract a player to ourselves rather than an opposition team, if we have never offered the guy a contract and the coaches have never had him in they're sights.

Anyway money doesnt always equal wins, we outplayed many teams with supposidly more to offer last year and the team with the biggest budget didnt win the league did it. So why all the Paranoia just cos its the Steelers.

And no I dont like the dual ownership thing going on in the league, but in fairness I dont think that any feelings of is being the little brother to those in Sheffield has much to so with the current owner, more likely the venue and the status.

In fact we are lucky that the city sells itself to players, cos if it didnt I dont think it would be the facilities or the mid table pay.

ASHIPP

There is absolutely no evidence yet that the Devils are the 'poor relations' in terms of team expediture compared to the Steelers BUT I would be far more concerned if the Steelers managed to keep key fire power players like Tait AND Legue, in addition to potential Colt Kings......more so if Devils weren't able to retain ANY/ALL of Jon, Stu and Max and build in some new players :shock:

I'm afraid I'd be asking some questions in my mind about what is going on, particularly as it was mentioned in an on-line Q and A session with G back in April that the Devils were 'confident' that a large core of last year's players would be returning this season. :evil:

However, G is a seasoned recruiter - I believe he and Franny will find the right players again this year :cool: :D

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
There is absolutely no evidence yet that the Devils are the 'poor relations' in terms of team expediture compared to the Steelers BUT I would be far more concerned if the Steelers managed to keep key fire power players like Tait AND Legue, in addition to potential Colt Kings......more so if Devils weren't able to retain ANY/ALL of Jon, Stu and Max and build in some new players :shock:

I'm afraid I'd be asking some questions in my mind about what is going on, particularly as it was mentioned in an on-line Q and A session with G back in April that the Devils were 'confident' that a large core of last year's players would be returning this season. :evil:

However, G is a seasoned recruiter - I really believe he and Franny will find the right players again this year :cool: :D
p.s. the rumour is that their power forward might well be Craig Macdonald - a winger who played for Arizona Sundogs last year, but more importantly, played with Finnerty at Bloomington 2 years ago. He may even be coming on an MBA deal - started his career on NCAA university circuit. Good signing, if true.

ok, I had forgotten that Colt King had actually been mentioned in the press last year, but it did say then that we couldnt afford him and we are currently trying to keep Pelle and Stu on increased wages and look for two top centres. If Mr King wants to do an MBA then I can see how we could sign him, but otherwise, no, however maybe the Steelers can if they are going to offset that cost against some cheeper guys just out of Uni as they did last week.

Also, I agree, I would also be very disapointed if we were not able to keep Stu, Pelle and Max (especially the last one failing to keep a player who lives in the area would not be a good signal). However I would only be concerned about our spending power and our ability to attract players, if those three went to other teams in the EIHL or lower league teams in North America. If they left for say Italy or Germany, even France, I could certainly deal with that and then I would still be looking at the replacements we brought in before judging how our position looks against the Steelers, or any other team.

ASHIPP said:
There is absolutely no evidence yet that the Devils are the 'poor relations' in terms of team expediture compared to the Steelers BUT I would be far more concerned if the Steelers managed to keep key fire power players like Tait AND Legue, in addition to potential Colt Kings
What you mean is "you" have no evidence we are the poor relations, sometimes people need to take the rose tinted glasses off. Just wait and see, problem 1 is we have is Stu and Pelle who were on the course last year so of course they will want more money this year so Im sure that is tricky. Problem 2 is we seem to be the only top 5 team on a cap

ps . I have been told Colt King is a DONE deal for the steelers (maybe my source is wrong, usually not though) ( and maybe we get a player from kings team of a similar style Ill leave it to you ASHIPP to work that one out seeing as you seem to be in the loop)

ASHIPP

sniper13 said:
ASHIPP said:
There is absolutely no evidence yet that the Devils are the 'poor relations' in terms of team expediture compared to the Steelers BUT I would be far more concerned if the Steelers managed to keep key fire power players like Tait AND Legue, in addition to potential Colt Kings
What you mean is "you" have no evidence we are the poor relations, sometimes people need to take the rose tinted glasses off. Just wait and see, problem 1 is we have is Stu and Pelle who were on the course last year so of course they will want more money this year so Im sure that is tricky. Problem 2 is we seem to be the only top 5 team on a cap

ps . I have been told Colt King is a DONE deal for the steelers (maybe my source is wrong, usually not though) ( and maybe we get a player from kings team of a similar style Ill leave it to you ASHIPP to work that one out seeing as you seem to be in the loop)
Sniper - sorry to disappoint you but you should not jump to conclusions so quickly. I am one of many many people NOT in the loop. My comments about apparent lack of evidence that the Devils are the poor relations stems simply from the fact, that AS YET, there are no reasonable comparisons that can be made between the Devils and Steelers rosters because they are incomplete. No expenditure facts and figures are in the public domain and why should they be?

I know no more than anyone else does on here - but anyone of us is entitled to state how disappointing it would be if the team lost key players(for whatever reasons) and it's fair and legitimate for people to debate any developments/lack of.

No rosy-colured spectacles here :roll: G can only recruit a team with whatever resources he's been given. No doubt, he and Franny will do the very best they can.

(My bold) Anyway, judging from the comments in your post, YOU seem to be the one who is in the loop. Perhaps you can tell us more....... :?

Sniper 13, if what you say is right and Steelers get King while we get another player from that team with a similar style, a certain Les Reaney at 6ft 2 and 221 lbs and a centre, with a points production in Rapid city over the last 2 yrs of 51 + 84 from 126 games and 257 pims, will do nicely as our second line cente thanks.

anyway Steeltalk now seems to have it as Darryl Bootland to Steelers, King to Panthers. DOnt know about the Panthers bit, but reckon the Bootland suggestion could be right, fits the descripion from the Stir and the rumours even closer than Colt King does.

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
sniper13 said:
ASHIPP said:

Sniper - sorry to disappoint you but you should not jump to conclusions so quickly. I am one of many many people NOT in the loop. My comments about apparent lack of evidence that the Devils are the poor relations stems simply from the fact, that AS YET, there are no reasonable comparisons that can be made between the Devils and Steelers rosters because they are incomplete. No expenditure facts and figures are in the public domain and why should they be?

I know no more than anyone else does on here - but anyone of us is entitled to state how disappointing it would be if the team lost key players(for whatever reasons) and it's fair and legitimate for people to debate any developments/lack of.

No rosy-colured spectacles here :roll: G can only recruit a team with whatever resources he's been given. No doubt, he and Franny will do the very best they can.

(My bold) Anyway, judging from the comments in your post, YOU seem to be the one who is in the loop. Perhaps you can tell us more....... :?
I am totally with you on this one, how can anyone compare at the moment when theres isnt anything to compare, we have all been told that the Steelers and the Devils will have exactly the same budget as each other, and it wont need rocket science to tell if thats the truth when signings begin. Cant see the business sense in bringing one team on and knocking another one back myself, yes we all know Sheffield can attract more fans with there building, but its also a costly exercise, how many past Steelers owners have walked away with a fortune, anyway as far as i am concerned until we see the other lot signing top dogs, and see us signing minnows theres not a lot to worry about. I have the greatest confidence in G and Franny to supply us with another worthwhile team, its far from doom and gloom at the moment.