2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

But where does it end ? Will we at some point end up with the same scenario as Scottih football, where if Celtic dont win the league you know 99.9999% Rangers will and visa versa. When do we reach the point that they beat every team week in week out ? as other teams cant keep up with the class of players they are signing ?

A line has to be drawn somewhere, i have no idea where as a wage cap is virtually impossible to police.

In other news...Weller at Nottingham!
Thats down to the owners to be responsible. The SPL is not really a good example Celtic and Rangers are boosted in numbers by

A, Bigotry
B.Playing in the most densley populated part of Scotland
C. Having the best Stadiums

They also take big support wherever they go which has to be good for the other clubs. The other SPL teams get on with it and make the best of what they have.

So in effect if a club is well run, with good sponsorship,good venue and good support, they are penalised for being succesful ?

Just about sums up British mentality :evil:

DevilDom

I think the comparison with the SPL was more to do with how for the most part it is dull and predictable rather than how well the clubs are supported or run. The games between Celtic and Rangers are fine because they are usually competitive but the games involving Rangers or Celtic against any other team are predictable. The majority of other SPL clubs simply look to survive, stay in the Division and maybe have a good cup run. If the EIHL became like that it would die within a few years as the supporters of the fringe teams would drift away and a large number of clubs would not be sustainable.

If the best Ice Hockey League in the world has a wage cap then I really fail to see why there is such a big argument against it for our league, but then maybe if I supported Panthers or Giants I would have a different view knowing we could out buy most other teams rosters.

DevilDom said:
I think the comparison with the SPL was more to do with how for the most part it is dull and predictable rather than how well the clubs are supported or run. The games between Celtic and Rangers are fine because they are usually competitive but the games involving Rangers or Celtic against any other team are predictable. The majority of other SPL clubs simply look to survive, stay in the Division and maybe have a good cup run. If the EIHL became like that it would die within a few years as the supporters of the fringe teams would drift away and a large number of clubs would not be sustainable.

If the best Ice Hockey League in the world has a wage cap then I really fail to see why there is such a big argument against it for our league, but then maybe if I supported Panthers or Giants I would have a different view knowing we could out buy most other teams rosters.
I dont disagree with a wage cap it just needs to be set so well run teams arent hampered too much so their fan base drifts away.
I cant comment on the Giants being able to buy out anothr teams roster as i dont know the finnances available.
But your last comment kind of proves my point.

jester said:
DevilDom said:

I dont disagree with a wage cap it just needs to be set so well run teams arent hampered too much so their fan base drifts away.
I cant comment on the Giants being able to buy out anothr teams roster as i dont know the finnances available.
Surely if a wage cap is in place then the hockey will be more competitive. In most sports that would encourage fans to watch, or is the need to win more important than the quality of the hockey? A whitewash, to me anyway, is never good to watch.

TheStub

Re: Re: 2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

jester said:
I can't see anyone disagreeing. The wagecap should be at a level that gives teams who can afford it have some top players. Teams don't have to spend to a cap, but should try and be there or there abouts.

There should also be a wage floor, which indicates where a team should be spending to be competitive. Still have top and bottom teams, but make it more interesting every game.

ASHIPP

Simmsey is still getting excited on Twitter about a 'transfer'. He is suggesting to think outside the box.
Perhaps, in this instance, he is not refering to a player transfer? Perhaps it's a sponsorship? A movement of non-player personnel from one club to another? How about Elite Ice Hockey moving to Sky 1 or 2? :shock:

Other rumours on Twitter: A signed contract from a well-known player will see them leave the Elite League very soon. Could be anybody! A player going to Europe? AHL call-up?...or even a move to EPL?

Gospel

With Simmsey being an idiot, when he says "massive" transfer could it be the size of the person rather than the name?? Hes also said "one team not happy. One player close to being very happy"

I think Simmsey is either relating to the size of the person, or the size of the pay cheque. Clearly stirring as usual and making it sound like its Voth or Weller, but if its a Cardiff player I reckon its Pelle and the massive is relating to pay rather than stature. Hope Im wrong but I think this could still turn out to be Pelle to Belfast.

A

Anonymous

Weller to another EIHL side? Ha, not on your nelly !!

I'm hearing one or two "big" players could be set to leave the Steelers !

Someone on The Cage saying his friend from Belfast saw Weller and Pelle at Belfast airport on Friday.......we can wipe that out unless Pelle can time travel as he was at the cricket on friday, accourding to his twitter, and he also put pics up.

Jones72

Gospel said:
With Simmsey being an idiot, when he says "massive" transfer could it be the size of the person rather than the name?? Hes also said "one team not happy. One player close to being very happy"
So that's Chambers or Pease? Where could they be going?

:lol: