2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

A

Anonymous

As much as I, and I'm sure everybody else, wants Pelle to stay I have to agree with Placid Casual.

There are hordes of top quality players out there, it's up to G/Franny to find new superstars when/if our current ones leave.
They may prove hard to find, thats when patience plays its part. But yes there are plenty of players who are capable of racking up serious points in our league and for our team just like Pelle did last term.

I'm more concerned in regards to finding a replacement for Sir Tylor. His attributes will be very hard (bordering impossible) to replace !

In G & Franny I trust :twisted:

osh

ASHIPP said:
But, for whatever reasons a player decides to stay with a club or leave, we can't get away from the fact that the 'Trump Towers' clubs Nottingham and Belfast are always going to be in much stronger bargaining position than some other clubs in this league. And therefore they can virtually afford any player on their wish list. :evil:
Whilst some clubs will offer the best contract they can within their means, they simply won't be able to compete on salary or facilities with wealthier clubs and therefore have to look at other ways of attracting players..

Anyway, everything is a rumour right now -let's hope and pray for some great news soon. :? :cool:

I would agree with you on this one ASHIPP, and it would point to the fact that Panthers and Giants won't be observing any so called wage cap, and good luck to them ( has it actually been agreed, I don't think so) Paul Ragan mentions it, but i wonder, if he had not bought the Steelers, and in doing so stretched his resources, he would have been able to spend more on the Devils and perhaps a wage cap wouldn't have been mentioned, what do you think ?

TheStub

osh said:
but i wonder, if he had not bought the Steelers, and in doing so stretched his resources, he would have been able to spend more on the Devils and perhaps a wage cap wouldn't have been mentioned, what do you think ?
To defend PR a little here - he was talking about the wage cap at the start of last season. He sighted it several times after buying the team as a reason for getting into ice hockey.

In that way, he has stuck to his guns. But if no-one else in the league is sticking to the Cap, then Steelers and Devils will be left battling for that last play-off spot.

Finny

Ragan has always wanted a proper wagecap ever since he bought the Devils and well before he even considered buying the Steelers. It was one of the reasons why he got involved in hockey rather than other sports.

DevilDom said:
from last year we need to our utmost to keep the likes of Jon and Stu.
So what you’re saying is the club shouldn’t do things like:

1. Look like a skin flint, messing players around while their still here doing college work by moving them out of their homes and into someones back room as temporary accommodation.
Or
2. Offer a stalwart / fans favourite player a 40% pay cut on last season.

Hmmmm I’d say that is imperative if you want your best import players to come back and I’m sure a professional club like the Devils who’s cash flow has increased of late from the luxury of increased attendances and now sharing office staff salaries between the 2 clubs wouldn’t dare do.

jimmy snels

Derby Devil said:
DevilDom said:
from last year we need to our utmost to keep the likes of Jon and Stu.

1. Look like a skin flint, messing players around while their still here doing college work by moving them out of their homes and into someones back room as temporary accommodation.
Or
2. Offer a stalwart / fans favourite player a 40% pay cut on last season.

Hmmmm I’d say that is imperative if you want your best import players to come back and I’m sure a professional club like the Devils who’s cash flow has increased of late from the luxury of increased attendances and now sharing office staff salaries between the 2 clubs wouldn’t dare do.
which players do you mean then mate, im assuming its voth or tylor but lets get it out there if u know something :)

Derby Devil said:

Must be one hell of a big back room to accommodate 3 players (one of which has already re-signed) so I assume he wasn't to unhappy with a move. Another player still remaiins in his orignal accommodation. As I understand it all 3 are sharing a flat.

Wannabe2

phil PLT said:
Derby Devil said:

Must be one hell of a big back room to accommodate 3 players (one of which has already re-signed) so I assume he wasn't to unhappy with a move. Another player still remaiins in his orignal accommodation. As I understand it all 3 are sharing a flat.
Too sensible a post Phil, knock it off will you.

But, for whatever reasons a player decides to stay with a club or leave, we can't get away from the fact that the 'Trump Towers' clubs Nottingham and Belfast are always going to be in much stronger bargaining position than some other clubs in this league. And therefore they can virtually afford any player on their wish list. :evil:

If only :lol:

ASHIPP

jester said:

If only :lol:
I knew you'd eventually pop up on here, Jester! Someone has to defend the Giants in the off-season! :lol: :lol: :lol: Take a look at the Panthers' roster - can anyone, in all honesty, say that they would be sticking to any reasonable budget? AND they still have 4 imports left to sign! :shock:
You are right, though, we would be in a better position to speculate on Giants expenditure once Christiansen completes the roster but just some thoughts:
1. If a player leaves one club to join another, particularly when the clubs are fairly equal in terms of performance/success last season, what reasons do you think have brought that about? It suggests they have been persuaded by more money or perhaps better facilities - compare and contrast Devils v Giants........... Clubs with less financial bargaining power (i.e. working to a strict budget) will be at a disdavantage in a bidding war.

2. Refer back to Giants' roster last year - Belfast were able to sign up quality players quickly to cover injury (Lambert, Asatenko, Jacobsen...and even the temporary Brad Smyth). Devils had 3 players injured and one suspended for several critical weeks in Feb/Mar last season....in addition to the Vother and Richie undergoing surgery in October. Who did they bring in to cover? NO-ONE because it's doubtful they could afford it. :evil: Go figure.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #532
If they're spending what they can afford and neither team are going bankrupt every season, I can't see a problem to be honest.

Chris.

A

Anonymous

Look at the average attendance at Notts/Belfast then look at ours! No wonder they have more to spend than we do.
Add to that the fact our owner is a business man, he also owns the Steelers, both clubs operating a wagecap, I wonder why that is?

Neutral hat on, if I was a pro hockey player and Cardiff and Belfast came in for me, I know who I'd choose. It's not always about money. The "O" or the "BBT"? Hmmm

Finny

Now now people. Don't go suggesting that Belfast are spending more than us, as that would be suggesting they broke the wagecap which as we all know they didn't. Jester said so.

ASHIPP

Zed said:
Look at the average attendance at Notts/Belfast then look at ours! No wonder they have more to spend than we do.
Add to that the fact our owner is a business man, he also owns the Steelers, both clubs operating a wagecap, I wonder why that is?

Neutral hat on, if I was a pro hockey player and Cardiff and Belfast came in for me, I know who I'd choose. It's not always about money. The "O" or the "BBT"? Hmmm
That' exactly the point. Belfast and Panthers probably DO have more money to spend than other teams. And it's laughable when some of their fans deny this and imply their club's spending on players is comparable to all the others in the league! :lol: Devils can't (yet) compete with the gate receipts of these clubs. You've contradicted yourself a little bit there by saying 'it's not all about the money'. Why else would players choose to go move there......the Giants were no more successful than the Devils last year? Two pretty good reasons for changing clubs - more money and a better arena........(although I can't imagine their atmosphere is any more intense than the BBT :D ). On those criteria, clubs on strict budgets will always be at a disadvantage.

In these instances, it must be incredibily frustrating for coaches to lose influential players to rival clubs in the same league. It makes me appreciate how incredibly challenging it must be for G and Franny to recruit. Whatever hurdles thay have to overcome, they did a fantasic job last year and I have every faith they will do the same this off-season. :cool:

ASHIPP

Back on topic........

Judging by the excited language and content of Simmsey's tweets in the last 72 hours, looks like there could be more than one 'shock transfer' of players between EIHL clubs in the pipeline.

Us minions have been told not to guess, because we'll never get it right and only the man with information (or is it, the mouth? :lol: ) really knows whats happening! :roll: ;)

All will be be revealed in the next few weeks.........

A

Anonymous

You've contradicted yourself a little bit there by saying 'it's not all about the money
I mean the fact the two mentioned clubs play out of an arena, meaning it's not solely about money why one player would leave one EIHL side for another. Of course the money is a big factor but would you prefer to play in front of 2000 or 5000 fans each week?

PS> There will be a few eye openers by the middle of next month :shock:

Sliput

Chris said:
If they're spending what they can afford and neither team are going bankrupt every season, I can't see a problem to be honest.

Chris.
But where does it end ? Will we at some point end up with the same scenario as Scottih football, where if Celtic dont win the league you know 99.9999% Rangers will and visa versa. When do we reach the point that they beat every team week in week out ? as other teams cant keep up with the class of players they are signing ?

A line has to be drawn somewhere, i have no idea where as a wage cap is virtually impossible to police.

In other news...Weller at Nottingham !