2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

ASHIPP

I reserve the right to change my views about player budgets at any time :lol: ......Simmsey on Twitter intimated that Steelers are close to signing an AHL experience goalie. Paul Thompson apparently impressed with this one. :?

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
It's impossible to gauge anything at the moment simply because nothing has happened yet! Maybe judgements about 'wage-caps' (and which clubs are abiding by them) can be better made when the teams have full rosters. If true, the alledged rumour that Legue is going to the Panthers might suggest that the Steelers can't reach agreement on his contract demands - perhaps they can't afford what he is asking and that would suggest they may be working to a budget.
Fans are never going to know the finer details of finances.

Someone suggested earlier on this thread that the Steelers and Devils are different business profiles....and therefore require different attention. The 'business model principles' might be similar, but PR and his team obviously feel it neccessary to give the Steelers some attention and investment (just as happened when the Cardiff Devils was taken over). They have to do it to grow that brand. That does NOT neccessarily mean a bigger player budget! Apart from continuing the great work already achieved in sponsorships/investment/main sponsors and great recruitment, what extra can be done to grow the Devils organisation right now that isn't already being done? Hands are tied, improvements/developments are impaired until the new arena is built.

It's a fact of life that owning several businesses requires time and effort to be split amongst them. No-one was going to be happy that, after months of the focus being on the Devils, that there is now a new aquisition that requires attention.

But where is the proof that the Devils' organisation is being neglected or 'the poor relation'? And for that matter, where is the proof that the Steelers actually do have a bigger wage budget? :?
This is a great post, and one i totally agree with, lets give it time before we start judging people, its so early at the moment and good things come to those who wait. We have a club thats more professional than ever, a great coaching staff, a game night experience second to none, and the best bloody fans in the land, not a lot to fret about at the moment. Have to finish with this already repeated comment (good things come to those who wait.)
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

A

Anonymous

Agreed.

Although it wouldn't be the off season without the annual, doom, gloom and morbid pessimism! :lol:

TheStub

Re: Re: 2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

gandl said:
On Twitter Rob Davison to the land of chav
Can't see this yet. He is a vetran yes, but I'd think he would have a chance at the AHL again. Albany fans seem to expect him in a different AHL shirt next season.

ASHIPP

gandl said:
Think this one might be a bit far fetched. :D He has consistently spent blocks of time in a few clubs both at NHL and AHL level illustrating he has not been traded (except to get called up to NHL), and is still near the top of his game.That stability/consistency would indicate he has a good chance of continuing at AHL level next year. He was Alternate Captain at Albany and played a majority of games last season.
Unless he is going to be on an MBA uni deal, why would he leave North America when still playing at AHL level? :?

J.B said:
Thommo did say he had an offer out to a defenceman with a serious number of NHL games and was 50:50 about getting him ;)
Word is it's Ben Simon. No idea how true it is.

Where has Finner said we're not on a wage cap? Not heard anything up here other than PR saying we are on the same money as you.

I have a feeling Globke and Clark are meant to be on 2 year deals. Could be wrong there though

Gazza272

steeler lass said:
J.B said:
Thommo did say he had an offer out to a defenceman with a serious number of NHL games and was 50:50 about getting him ;)
Word is it's Ben Simon. No idea how true it is.

Where has Finner said we're not on a wage cap? Not heard anything up here other than PR saying we are on the same money as you.

I have a feeling Globke and Clark are meant to be on 2 year deals. Could be wrong there though
Ben Simon isnt a D man though :?

Gazza272 said:
Ben Simon isnt a D man though :?
The Ben Simon to Coventry rumour has been denied by Simmsy. I can't believe that one ever had any legs.

For some reason the Davison one seems more possible, as unlikely as it sounds. Thommo mentioned talks with an ex NHL defenceman and whilst he is clearly still a solid AHL player, his NHL are likely to be behind him so given the choice of long road trips across North America or a nice cushy life in the UK, perhaps it isn't as stupid as it first appears :?

TheStub

J.B said:
For some reason the Davison one seems more possible, as unlikely as it sounds. Thommo mentioned talks with an ex NHL defenceman and whilst he is clearly still a solid AHL player, his NHL are likely to be behind him so given the choice of long road trips across North America or a nice cushy life in the UK, perhaps it isn't as stupid as it first appears :?
But the money would, I guess, be a bigger motivator.

Yes, easier life - but a player like Rob has had limited (by NHL standards) earning potential, so will probably look to maximise his pot. I guess any player would.

I would be shocked if he came to the UK without at the very least trying the AHL or even the higher paid European leagues.

ASHIPP

British defenceman Kevin Philips rumoured to be staying with the Clan for next season, after being in talks with the Steelers.
This might explain James Huchison's release from the Clan this week. :?

gandl said:
Paul Thompson denies links with former NHL stars

COVENTRY Blaze coach Paul Thompson has denied rumours linking him with two former NHL players who have played in the Elite League.
Thompson said he had not been in talks with either Rob Davidson, who played for Cardiff while the NHL were on strike in 2005, or Ben Simon, player-coach of Sheffield Steelers last term.
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/covent ... -28756780/

ASHIPP

Speculation that 1 or 2 of the ex-Blaze import defencemen (Lee, Smith) might end up at the Panthers to complete their D corps...with Jon Schwarz, Chris Zarb and Jeremy Van Hoof also on the list.

Wouldn't it be fantastic to see Jon Landry, Jon Gleed or Mike Burgoyne as the Devils' final import defenceman? :cool: :shock:

ASHIPP

Simmsey on Twitter this evening.....he says that an EIHL All Star is signing for Belfast Giants.

Who is it going to be, who has not been announced yet?

Jon Gleed?
Jon Landry?
Joey Talbot?
Jeff Legue?
Jon Pelle? :? :eek:

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
Simmsey on Twitter this evening.....he says that an EIHL All Star is signing for Belfast Giants.

Who is it going to be, who has not been announced yet?

Jon Gleed?
Jon Landry?
Joey Talbot?
Jeff Legue?
Jon Pelle? :? :eek:
p.s. rumoured that Jon Gleed may not be returning to the Giants.

Ger-Devils

Derby Devil said:
Pelle rumour might not be too far from the truth, they have tabled a very very good package for him.
I'm sure he's weighing up his options but am sure the Devils have offered him a nice deal to try and keep him here.

Would hate to see him go there. It's all rumours so god knows