2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

Just noticed that Jeff Hutchins has signed for the "Stars", this concerns me a little as wether the Edinburgh Caps will have a competitive team again this year.
I was expecting Caps to retain his services again, which makes me think is Scott Neil trying to assemble a roster on a shoe string again?.
The Vipers exit from the league was a blow but i wouldn't be able to stomach multiple games against uncompetitive teams again like we experienced a couple of seasons ago.

James

Administrator
DevilDom said:
You sound surprised by that! :lol: I think its been obvious to me for some time that this was the case as there as been nothing coming out from the league about wage caps or luxury players and Ragan avoided all questions on it when he did the recent blog.
Surprised? No not really. A little sad I guess. With Mr Finnerty pretty much openly saying there is no wagecap in Sheffield, it looks like it's only Cardiff sticking to one, and not everything Mr Ragan says is true. I trust G to get absolutely the best bang for his buck and he seems to be about the best recruiter in the league, but it cant help if he is being hamstrung in negotiations by cost, doubly so if Sheffield are swanning around employing whoever they wish

James

Administrator
Players talk. It's naive to think they wont. I've heard it from far too many disparate sources to believe there is no basis to it, as much as I want to not believe it.

James said:
DevilDom said:
You sound surprised by that! :lol: I think its been obvious to me for some time that this was the case as there as been nothing coming out from the league about wage caps or luxury players and Ragan avoided all questions on it when he did the recent blog.
Surprised? No not really. A little sad I guess. With Mr Finnerty pretty much openly saying there is no wagecap in Sheffield, it looks like it's only Cardiff sticking to one, and not everything Mr Ragan says is true. I trust G to get absolutely the best bang for his buck and he seems to be about the best recruiter in the league, but it cant help if he is being hamstrung in negotiations by cost, doubly so if Sheffield are swanning around employing whoever they wish
How can only one team have a wage cap ?

James

Administrator
jester said:
That was kind of the point :) I wasn't implying that Cardiff are great and are the only team that will abide to the cap and all other teams are naughty, just that it seems a pity if its being used as a reason to constrain our budget. I'd rather the club just say 'We can only afford X for the Devils'.

ASHIPP

The 'Legue to Panthers' rumour may well illustrate the Steelers' expenditure situation, if it happens. :? If the Steelers are unable to afford Legue's demands, but Nottingham can comfortably accomodate him (look at the players they have already managed to retain from last year :cool: ), what does that suggest about the Steelers' budget? :?

Unfortunately, I just have a nasty, uneasy feeling this won't be the only case to be rumoured. :x

It will be a very sad day when teams finishing near the top of the league can't afford to hang on to their most influential players when 'wealthier' teams can swoop in and make a 'can't refuse' offer. Whilst it's inevitable that players on successful teams are rightfully going to demand a good deal the following season, how much longer are wealthier teams simply going to be allowed 'cherry pick' other players/ comfortably outbid other clubs in that way? The situation will develop where only 1 or 2 teams have a realistic chance of challenging for anything, the rest will simply be 'also-rans'. So much for a 'level competitive playing field'. :x

DevilDom

James said:
jester said:
That was kind of the point :) I wasn't implying that Cardiff are great and are the only team that will abide to the cap and all other teams are naughty, just that it seems a pity if its being used as a reason to constrain our budget. I'd rather the club just say 'We can only afford X for the Devils'.
Spot on James. All the smoke and mirrors by Ragan only feeds the consipracy theories.

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #469
Maybe Ragan meant only the first 75% of the budgets were 99% the same :E

Maybe he'll do another Q&A on MediaWales where he won't answer all the questions and won't put up the remaining questions and answers on any website after the event...

Chris.

DevilDom

Chris said:
Maybe Ragan meant only the first 75% of the budgets were 99% the same :E

Maybe he'll do another Q&A on MediaWales where he won't answer all the questions and won't put up the remaining questions and answers on any website after the event...

Chris.
Unfortunately, as long as PR treats fans like idiots and with contempt then i'm afraid you are correct.

Finny

I thought that Neil Black only said the Luxury Player part of the wagecap wasn't happening. I haven't heard him say there was no wagecap.

In fact he said he would prefer the wagecap was described in gross terms rather than nett.

James

Administrator
Finny said:
I thought that Neil Black only said the Luxury Player part of the wagecap wasn't happening. I haven't heard him say there was no wagecap.

In fact he said he would prefer the wagecap was described in gross terms rather than nett.
Can you remember any quote from any team other than from Mr Ragan stating there will actually be a cap and it will be enforced. I don't remember one.

DevilDom

Finny said:
So either Paul Ragan is lying to us

or

Ryan Finnerty and Sheffield are winding the Devils fans up?
That's a very simplistic view. Apart from the fact I would expect / hope Finnerty has more respect from the Devils and their fans after his time here, why has nothing come out from the league on the wage cap? Also why did PR ignore any questions on the wage cap at the recent blog?

A

Anonymous

If the Steelers will not be under any wagecap and therefore meaning that expenditure on players/staff had no (or a very high) ceiling, then would they really replace Ben Simon with Ryan Finnerty?

No disrespect to Finner, but he's not in Simons league as a player/coach, surely?

didn't Simon leave because he (in his eyes) wasn't offered enough?

voth26

beginning to wonder if mr ragan has played the devils and it's fans as a smoke screen to buy the squeelers on the cheap!!! may be a country mile away but the squeeler wheels seem to be turning faster than ours :roll: :roll: also i'm not as confident of ragans intentions towards the devils as i was when he first appeared on the scene. just my thoughts

ASHIPP

It's impossible to gauge anything at the moment simply because nothing has happened yet! Maybe judgements about 'wage-caps' (and which clubs are abiding by them) can be better made when the teams have full rosters. If true, the alledged rumour that Legue is going to the Panthers might suggest that the Steelers can't reach agreement on his contract demands - perhaps they can't afford what he is asking and that would suggest they may be working to a budget.
Fans are never going to know the finer details of finances.

Someone suggested earlier on this thread that the Steelers and Devils are different business profiles....and therefore require different attention. The 'business model principles' might be similar, but PR and his team obviously feel it neccessary to give the Steelers some attention and investment (just as happened when the Cardiff Devils was taken over). They have to do it to grow that brand. That does NOT neccessarily mean a bigger player budget! Apart from continuing the great work already achieved in sponsorships/investment/main sponsors and great recruitment, what extra can be done to grow the Devils organisation right now that isn't already being done? Hands are tied, improvements/developments are impaired until the new arena is built.

It's a fact of life that owning several businesses requires time and effort to be split amongst them. No-one was going to be happy that, after months of the focus being on the Devils, that there is now a new aquisition that requires attention.

But where is the proof that the Devils' organisation is being neglected or 'the poor relation'? And for that matter, where is the proof that the Steelers actually do have a bigger wage budget? :?

Foxy

Well lets just see if there any major effort to find a big name sponsor for the devils this year.
It should be as big a priority as getting the steelers going. Its no good focus remaining on sheffield if Cardiff slip backwards.