2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

Gazza272

osh said:
Welshy74 said:
Weller has suffered from a few concussions from fighting. He is not a fighter anymore. He was never gonna drop the gloves when he was here.

He fought at least 8 times in the season before he joined us, I'm not saying he was brought in to fight, just that on ocassions when he should have protected or stood up for the likes of Matzka and Pelle especially he didn't do so, thats the only thing that disappointed me in his play.

Weller never needed to fight. His presence was enough. I also dont think anyone would have taken him on.

Ocko

A few would have.... the fighters in Brads league wouldnt have found Weller a difficult job. I wouldnt see Weller losing heavily to many but I would never have considered him a heavyweight in the fighting stakes based on his showings and rep in North America.

Gazza272

Ocko said:
A few would have.... the fighters in Brads league wouldnt have found Weller a difficult job. I wouldnt see Weller losing heavily to many but I would never have considered him a heavyweight in the fighting stakes based on his showings and rep in North America.

I fail to see any player in the league last year who was as physically strong as Weller. Maybe Hoffman would be the closest. I just could envisage Weller holding off anyone who would have gone for him.

Mooney#16

Let me reassure you that players didn't want to go anywhere near Weller. Fights in hockey in this modern era can be accepted or rejected as and when a player wants. There isn't an intimidation factor. If a player gets jumped the instigator gets an extra twelve minutes and he can just turtle and wait for the linesman. Now a guy who if you know is on the ice and you put your head down for to long is going to finish his hit and hard on you with a real possibility he could do some significant damage. Now that is an intimidation in the modern era. Players didn't want to be on his radar in this league as if he started head hunting you it wasn't going to end well. You would be getting rid of that puck real quick and looking up for where he was. He didn't fight but he sure as hell intimidated.

osh

Mooney#16 said:
Let me reassure you that players didn't want to go anywhere near Weller. Fights in hockey in this modern era can be accepted or rejected as and when a player wants. There isn't an intimidation factor. If a player gets jumped the instigator gets an extra twelve minutes and he can just turtle and wait for the linesman. Now a guy who if you know is on the ice and you put your head down for to long is going to finish his hit and hard on you with a real possibility he could do some significant damage. Now that is an intimidation in the modern era. Players didn't want to be on his radar in this league as if he started head hunting you it wasn't going to end well. You would be getting rid of that puck real quick and looking up for where he was. He didn't fight but he sure as hell intimidated.
Well you are entitled to your opinion of course,but, let me assure you, your comments have certainly not reassured me of anything. Weller did not stand up as expected for his team mates as expected, in particular Pelle when he was being targeted by opposition D men, you won't change my mind on that no matter what you say (by the way, other Devils did, but not Weller) yet he remains in my mind a great signing for us.

A

Anonymous

in particular Pelle when he was being targeted by opposition D men
But thats just it, Pelle was very rarely, (if at all) targeted by opposition D. Simply because of the presence of Voth and Weller. Without these two in the side Pelle would of been targeted a hell of a lot more.

Anyway back on topic before I get told off again. (Be that me or my alter ego!) :lol:

tim78

I'm sure there was a single occasion when a devil (think it was Pelle was shoved towards the net and Weller came straight in and knocked over their D man and the other team players stood around looking quite awkward while the dman didn't look like he wanted to get up, if this was any other player a ruckus would have started, just shows his impact on opposition players).

I'm glad in a way Weller showed the discipline not to drop the gloves and believe the comments that he'd would have targeted individuals in other ways would be far more intimidating... though it would have been entertaining to see him have 1 fight.

I can't remember Pelle or any of our smaller players being targetted either. Sometimes there would be a group of players 'hugging' by the boards and it was always funny to see how quickly most would skate off when Weller turned up.

I can't remember a time when I thought Weller needed to fight. I wanted to see him take on Penner, Campbell and a few others but it would have been a ridiculously uneven downgrade for Weller to sit in the bin with them.

zoesdevil

bluedevil said:
I can't remember Pelle or any of our smaller players being targetted either. Sometimes there would be a group of players 'hugging' by the boards and it was always funny to see how quickly most would skate off when Weller turned up.

I can't remember a time when I thought Weller needed to fight. I wanted to see him take on Penner, Campbell and a few others but it would have been a ridiculously uneven downgrade for Weller to sit in the bin with them.
But it would of been worth it just to see Penner/Campbell taking a beating to shut them up!!

A

Anonymous

I'm sure there was a single occasion when a devil (think it was Pelle was shoved towards the net and Weller came straight in and knocked over their D man and the other team players stood around looking quite awkward while the dman didn't look like he wanted to get up
I think you refer to the game in Hull, if so that was Sawyer who clobbered their D man after he "shoved" Pelle. That was before Weller had signed.

The man intimidated the opposition with what he could do with his stick, he had no need to fight. I personally wanted to see Wellsy on the ice and not in the box.

I dont know how much truth is in it but I heard Weller was intent on giving a Penner slap up in Nottingham.He was not happy when Penner said he was leaving because nobody would fight him.As it happened the game was to tight for Weller to take a penalty.Penner can look after himself but I think Weller would have come out on top.
He is a fantastic player and like someone has already mentioned was very intimidating to most.

zoesdevil said:
bluedevil said:

But it would of been worth it just to see Penner/Campbell taking a beating to shut them up!!
Campbell yes, however i think you might have found Penner v Weller a slightly different result :idea:

Finny

I remember it too but can't remember who it was against. I'd never seen Weller look so mad and the opposition player looked half scared to death.

tim78

It was defo a home game and it was down the bar end that I remember and it was one of the bigger Dman opposition that he knocked over.

Gazza272

buzzwagon said:
Dave Simms just tweeted " Interesting signing by Elite league club in the morning, i wouldn't have made that signing". Any ideas people? :?

Us Signing Kubenko from the Bison as has been rumoured on THF a few times from Bison fans?

Wannabe2

buzzwagon said:
Dave Simms just tweeted " Interesting signing by Elite league club in the morning, i wouldn't have made that signing". Any ideas people? :?
Firstly its more than Simmsy job to have a go about a Cardiff signing so cant see that happening, secondly cant see G signing the bison player, he isnt good enough for our team one iota.

voth26

Eskarin said:
In the sense of going toe to toe, I was referring specifically to just standing up for team mates, not necessarily dropping the gloves, it's rare for me to ever think it's time to drop the gloves.

DevilDom said:
Eskarin said:
he is slow getting back into the defensive zone all the time, a critisicm I often give to Matzka aswell,
for me Voth has a habit of spending too much time looking for the fight with the wrong guys, I rarely see him step toe to toe with a guy who'd actually challenge him
Your post is littered with spurious points that arn't really backed up by reality, however these two I must take particular exception to.

(1) Matzka was excellent at working back to the defensive zone, with his back checking a particular strength and for me possibly one if not the best at doing this in the league.

(2) Last season Voth did exactly the right thing on the enforcing front - he hardly fought at all and only did so when absolutely necessary. This may or may not have been as a result of his hand injury but in the 2nd half of the season it meant we saw the benefit of a full import roster for most games. There was no one worth fighting with perhaps the exception of Hoffman who didn't really want to know or Lepine - anyone else willing to fight would have been a down trade and therefore, Voth rightly skated away from most potential fights.
Please highlight my spurious claims and I'll endeavour to defend them more to your liking, I thought I made it fairly clear that most of my statement was personal opinion, but i suppose i'm always up for a challenge

On (1), that your opinion and your welcome to it, all I can suggest is we agree to disagree. In my opinion he was soft on the puck in the defensive end, and that's when you managed to get him back there.
On (2), in re-reading my own post i notice i said "to me a good enforcer is the enforcer who doesn't need to fight (what Weller was)" so in that respect you may consider your arguement right, but I believe Weller's presence was all the enforcement needed for the most part and will continue to do so.
Much like I will continue to be confused by many hockey fans of this team who refuse to even allow a critiscm of Voth, i think i shall quote Winston Churchill as his words seem appropriate for my stance on Voth.
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things"

Apologies for waffling a bit. And I want to emphasise that again my statement is personal opinion, I'm open to debate and discussion, but to call any individual's opinions spurious is about as arrogant a statement as I can imagine.
Voth did stand up for his team mates ask stevie when we played hull and 2 players inc clouthier decided to take a few whacks at stevie if i'm not mistaken voth steamed in and floored clouthier with one punch, there are also many other examples such as hoffman in belfast fight,

Gospel

buzzwagon said:

arent the Giants supposed to be announcing 2 forwards tomorrow?