2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

DevilDom

Eskarin said:
I thought I made it fairly clear that most of my statement was personal opinion,

hockey fans of this team who refuse to even allow a critiscm of Voth
Yes you did and that's fine. However I would point out that your Opinion is based on 2 games in the play-offs and a couple of games through the season when you watched the Devils against your team. My opinion on Matzka and Voth from last season is based on watching the Devils in every home game plus around a further 10 games away from the tent.

With regards Voth - fire away. I'm not one of these fans who can't accept critiscm of him - I simply want the best team possible for the Devils - this may or may not invlove him. I was merely pointing on that I thought you were incorrect in your views on the enforcing front based on last season.

Anyway, not really the thread for this debate as we are supposed to be talking about Rumours!

TheStub

Re: Re: 2011/12 Rumours Thread - Absolute nonsense spotted!

DevilDom said:
Yes you did and that's fine. However I would point out that your Opinion is based on 2 games in the play-offs and a couple of games through the season when you watched the Devils against your team. My opinion on Matzka and Voth from last season is based on watching the Devils in every home game plus around a further 10 games away from the tent.
Where did they mention he supported another team? I'm sure it has been mentioned before that they are a Devils ST holder.

I'm happy to let this run - it is nice to see some real debate.

As I have said many times, Voth runs a bit hot and cold. The Voth from several seasons ago then yes, but last two seasons he has lost a lot from his game.

I re-watched the playoff final, and what was obvious to me there was 2 things

1. The 2nd line were taking shifts that were way too long. They looked knackered, and a line built on physicality not skill just couldn't maintain the intensity (and therefore got consistently undressed). That is probably coaching rather the actual players.

2. The number of passes involving Voth that failed. When looking for that stretch pass, it didn't come off. But when that line switched to shock and awe they were much more effective.

If Voth comes back, he needs to get back to being "that" power forward.

DevilDom said:
I don't have a team in this league, I just love ice hockey, but if I had to choose a team it would probably be the Devils seeing as I did have a season ticket, attend all cup matches and multiple away matches.
I'd assume (I believe you forgot to use that word) that makes my opinion as valid as yours

Finny

I too thought they were a Coventry fan? :shock:

Maybe there is a Coventry fan on THF with the same/similar name and that is what confused me?

Rempel16

Eskarin said:
he is slow getting back into the defensive zone all the time, a critisicm I often give to Matzka aswell,
I appreciate that this argument has been about Voth so far, but I just cannot let this one go. IMO, Matzka is the best 2-way forward to have played for the Devils in the Elite League era (including Elich).

For his speed at getting back to his defensive zone, more often than not he would be back-checking so hard that he would have taken the puck off the forward before they even reached our zone.

I can't recall one occasion where I was looking for Matzka to make more effort in helping out the defence, as he was always playing lower than the hash-marks when we were under the cosh.

For me, Matzka's back-checking and defensive game is something that I think G is going to have the most trouble replacing, particularly while also needing to replicate his 99 points.

I'm probably in the minority (I was all season around my block!) but I thought Matzka was the key to the top line as opposed to Pelle.

As for Voth, others have made their points very well so far, there are definitely fors and againsts re-signing him. I will add that i'm convinved he re-designed his checking this season to ensure that he didn't connect with the player. Same impact- player panics, turns over the puck and no penalty called on Voth- Winner!

wildthing74

buzzwagon said:
devilish said:
I vaguely recall seeing him fight someone in his second season with us - I can't remember who, I can vividly recall expressing my suprise at how much he had lost it, as he was hammering down blows - he seemed such a slow to anger, placid guy. I was suprised he didn't drop his gloves more, I know he wasn't by any means an enforcer but he certainly had size on his side.

If it comes to me who he fought I'll post it here...
I can recall him going with Andrew Sharp at ours when we had that feisty game with Steelers.
No it was Hartwick that went with Sharp and they went in 2 games at our place.

Rempel16

Jarvis had a non-event fight with Sharp during the 2nd feisty game with the Steelers, the one where Sharp got the lengthy ban for leaving the bench and for swinging his stick at Maciver's head, catching the linesman.

It was after that incident that he tried to jump Jarvis, with Jarvo wrestling him to the ground and Hicks getting struck in the process of breaking them up as Sharp tried to continue fighting.

Rempel16

Giants and Capitals' forums are both suggesting rumours that Nathan Craze is to be the Caps starting netminder next season.

I think that could be a good signing... Provided that there is money to still sign the full 10 imports. With Kyle Horne and 4 decent d-men, Craze could have a chance to shine and really take on the challenge of becoming the next Lyle/Murphy.

If this rumour is true, would that mean that the Caps' have also signed a coach? As surely the coach would want to pick his own netminder, potentially the most important spot to fill. Danny Stewart / Martin Cingel would both be decent player coaches for them.

DevilDom

Eskarin said:
I don't have a team in this league, I just love ice hockey, but if I had to choose a team it would probably be the Devils seeing as I did have a season ticket, attend all cup matches and multiple away matches.
I (wrongly) assumed from the tone of your earlier posts that you were a Blaze fan and had only seen the Devils in a few games last season, so I apologise :oops: as that is a huge slant on your character :lol:. If you were able to see the Devils in that many games then fair enough. I never said your opinion isn't valid just that I don't necessarily agree with it and the possible reason for that was that you hadn't seen them play in many games.

I don't wholly disagree with you on Voth - I can take him or leave him for next season. I think he did look distinctly average on occassions last season and age / speed may be a factor in that. Where I do differ with you on him is how he approached the enforcing role last season which IMO was the right way to do it especially with the referees in the league and the bans handed out to him in the past. As I said in an earlier post I would take Pprich over Voth for next season if given the choice.

I do however disagree with you completely on Matzka who for me is possibly one of the best and hardworking players I have seen play for the Devils. As others have pointed out he scored 99 points, brought the best out of Pelle and Max (who blows hot and cold on the best of days) and was great 2-way forward constantly working back and back checking to set up new offensive plays.

Rempel16

Starting to load up this thread with my posts now!!

The CHL playoffs ended for the Rapid City Rush last night as they lost in game 7 to the Colorado Eagles.

That means if we have signed Colt King (top of my season-by-season wishlist :lol: ) can we announce him now please G? PLEASE!!!!!!!

Incidentally, the Eagles (Penner's team) go on to play Bosier-Shreveport Mudbugs for the Presidents Cup.

DevilDom said:
Eskarin said:
I (wrongly) assumed from the tone of your earlier posts that you were a Blaze fan and had only seen the Devils in a few games last season, so I apologise :oops: as that is a huge slant on your character :lol:. If you were able to see the Devils in that many games then fair enough. I never said your opinion isn't valid just that I don't necessarily agree with it and the possible reason for that was that you hadn't seen them play in many games.

I don't wholly disagree with you on Voth - I can take him or leave him for next season. I think he did look distinctly average on occassions last season and age / speed may be a factor in that. Where I do differ with you on him is how he approached the enforcing role last season which IMO was the right way to do it especially with the referees in the league and the bans handed out to him in the past. As I said in an earlier post I would take Pprich over Voth for next season if given the choice.

I do however disagree with you completely on Matzka who for me is possibly one of the best and hardworking players I have seen play for the Devils. As others have pointed out he scored 99 points, brought the best out of Pelle and Max (who blows hot and cold on the best of days) and was great 2-way forward constantly working back and back checking to set up new offensive plays.
With the blaze fan thing, i gotta admit, it's not that bad, there's a few of their guys i'd gladly watch play week in, week out. Perhaps it was my reference to Thommo complaining about Dean Smith's reffing that confused the issue there.
And apologies for getting so defensive on it Devildom (hadn't slept in a while)
On Matzka I will gladly admit as the season went on I did get the impression Matzka got better and better all over the ice, and though in my previous post I said that i often thought it, he most certainly looked dangerous as a two-way player, perhaps I'm exaggerating it slightly because of a few things i noticed earlier in the season. Thought I most certainly wouldn't have called him the best two-way forward we had.
I can also that I'm quite harsh when it comes to team defense as i'm so used to watching Nashville and New Jersey (not so much NJ this year :lol: ).
Though I will gladly agree with Rempel 16 that Matzka was the key on that top line, at least offensively anyway, he was definitely the glue that held them together and Pelle clearly clicked well with him. Though at the same time I'll be glad not to see him back, thought that could be new player excitement.

I hope Nathan craze is going to caps, don't believe it yet, but he's too good a keeper to sit behind murphy for a career, he should have been signed by Dundee last year instead of that joke they iced at the start of the season in net.

Rempel16 said:
Starting to load up this thread with my posts now!!

The CHL playoffs ended for the Rapid City Rush last night as they lost in game 7 to the Colorado Eagles.

That means if we have signed Colt King (top of my season-by-season wishlist :lol: ) can we announce him now please G? PLEASE!!!!!!!

Incidentally, the Eagles (Penner's team) go on to play Bosier-Shreveport Mudbugs for the Presidents Cup.
Ohh could be an interesting match up that with the Mudbugs having Crampton in their line up. A player i would love to see at the Giants

stats: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15119

Also this one is doing the rounds again for Giants :lol:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9674

(what i find riculous is that he would NOT be an import in the EPL but would in the EIHL :cry:

Rempel16

Eskarin,

That's fair enough, I guess that's what makes sport so interesting as absolutely everyone sees the game in a different way.

I'm not sure about best 2-way forward ever, but in the Elite League I struggle to think of any that we had better than him. Who do you rate higher than him?

Jester,

Crampton would be a great signing for anybody in the league, I believe its players like him and King that teams will be looking to attract to add their toughness, not out-and-out enforcers, but protective power forwards who can also rack up the points. The rough stuff between these guys usually boils over as games heat up so it could make for some interesting matchups if players like these are signed up.

Owen Nolan is a great rumour that comes about every season, is there actually any substance to it though. Would be great if the Giants could persuade him to have a swansong year at 'home'.

Rempel16 said:
Eskarin,

That's fair enough, I guess that's what makes sport so interesting as absolutely everyone sees the game in a different way.

I'm not sure about best 2-way forward ever, but in the Elite League I struggle to think of any that we had better than him. Who do you rate higher than him?

Jester,

Crampton would be a great signing for anybody in the league, I believe its players like him and King that teams will be looking to attract to add their toughness, not out-and-out enforcers, but protective power forwards who can also rack up the points. The rough stuff between these guys usually boils over as games heat up so it could make for some interesting matchups if players like these are signed up.

Owen Nolan is a great rumour that comes about every season, is there actually any substance to it though. Would be great if the Giants could persuade him to have a swansong year at 'home'.

He has family that are Giants ST holders and is "alleged" to have said he would like to finish his career playing for his hometown team.

(Bit like finny i have no proof to back this up :roll: )