With fans like these who needs enemies.

ASHIPP

The Skate Shop at the rink used to sell all the official Devils 'pocket money' range until a couple of seasons ago. Now, a limited range of merchandise is sold through the Devils' stand on match night and, of course, on-line.

Many of the EIHL teams don't have a shop, or merchandise stand and I am struggling to find an on-line store for the Scottish teams and Hull.

The Blaze do a fantastic range of merchandise....but that club has not recently faced the same financial difficulties. :evil: Whilst our Club is definitely missing a niche in the market for novelty generic merchandise for long term and future fans, at the moment, perhaps they don't see it as a viable return on the cost of production/price of small items?

I've looked at the cost of promotional items before, and the minimum order quantities were the problem for me. I guess it's the same for the club.

It'd cost at least £500-£700+VAT I'm guessing to bring in a selection of smaller items, and that's just a minimum order.
Is that a reasonable spend, right now, when it will take at least 2 seasons to recoup the money?
I can't really see hundreds of people buying mugs & pens etc. A few dozen maybe.

Just my 2p :)

DevilDom

Last season I went to Hull and Edinburgh and they both had small stalls selling a wide range of nick nacks (cups, pens, badges etc.) that kids could buy with pocket money.

I guess the big problem is the initial capital investment and relatively small return per item. However, a few items released over the next few weeks (before Christmas) could make a killing. I'd personally love a devils mug, glass, mouse mat etc. and I could spend a fortune on stocking fillers for my son as he would love anything with the Devils logo on it!

DevilDom

Imagine said:
I've looked at the cost of promotional items before, and the minimum order quantities were the problem for me. I guess it's the same for the club.

It'd cost at least £500-£700+VAT I'm guessing to bring in a selection of smaller items, and that's just a minimum order.
Is that a reasonable spend, right now, when it will take at least 2 seasons to recoup the money?
I can't really see hundreds of people buying mugs & pens etc. A few dozen maybe.

Agreed, but why not have a trial with a few items now (just before Christmas) to see how they go? Profit made now could be used to fund the next batch of different items and the stock could be built up in that way. I know its not easy but its got to be worth a try!

ASHIPP

DevilDom said:
Last season I went to Hull and Edinburgh and they both had small stalls selling a wide range of nick nacks (cups, pens, badges etc.) that kids could buy with pocket money.

I guess the big problem is the initial capital investment and relatively small return per item. However, a few items released over the next few weeks (before Christmas) could make a killing. I'd personally love a devils mug, glass, mouse mat etc. and I could spend a fortune on stocking fillers for my son as he would love anything with the Devils logo on it!
The Devils' logo mugs, sticker packs and puck-shaped key rings were best sellers 2 seasons ago. May be a bit late for pre-Christmas production though?

DevilDom

Sorry, you got me going now. Just a quick look at 1 website for printed mugs.

Minimum order is 108 and cost per item is £1.60 plus VAT - say £2 to make it easy, so £216 total.

These could be sold at say £5 (not unreasonable) - a whopping 150% profit.

Sell 44 mugs and you have made your money back (which could then be re-invested in the next item). The remaining 64 mugs are pure profit (£320).

I know this is a bit simplistic and I know its not as straightforward as that but it can be done.

Imagine said:

Yes but these items also give more exposure to sponsors and therefore may attract more sponsors eg A model Focus with Devils logo and Fordthorne logo, the miniature jerseys in cars give sponsors more exposure for their sponsorship £££s. It is not just about the profits on the items. The shirts you only see on Match Days but a Miniature Car Jersey or car sticker gets far more exposure. The problems would probably come with the second order due to first bills not being paid.

Last years management kept on about the value of the Devils brand, so use it before the brand is totally devalued

wildthing74

Spot on Jody.To me I think its pretty obvious that such items would be self promoting and free advertising.How many kids at school will ask "what is that Devils logo on your hat/scalf,bag,pencil case" and so on?
I'm pretty sure at least a few would ask about going and go home and ask their parents.Indeed my daughter is always trying to get friends from school down and many had not even known we have a team!
It hasn't always been this bad but it seems accepted now that this is the way its going to be.We even had a shop in the city centre open every day back in Shannon's day.I don't expect us ever to get to that level ofcourse as rents etc would clearly prohibit that but nothing stopping us having a fully stocked merchandise stand on match nights.We have helpers/staff already in place so I don't think it would take much more work on match night.
The club don't want it sold through Corky yet he constantly gets people asking about merchandise expecting his shop to sell it.
The club is missing out in the long run in my opinion.

Kipper

I really do not understand the logic in the club not using CH Sports to market their merchandise in the rink shop.I am sure they would shift more gear and make more money even with paying a percentage to CH for doing all the work.

It is easily accessible for customers,CH Sports would have to pay for and hold the stock meaning the club's limited funds wouldn't be tied up.It would release the limited number of Devils staff to do other duties on match nights instead of flogging the merchandise.It's a no-brainer to me

Kipper said:
I really do not understand the logic in the club not using CH Sports to market their merchandise in the rink shop.I am sure they would shift more gear and make more money even with paying a percentage to CH for doing all the work.

It is easily accessible for customers,CH Sports would have to pay for and hold the stock meaning the club's limited funds wouldn't be tied up.It would release the limited number of Devils staff to do other duties on match nights instead of flogging the merchandise.It's a no-brainer to me
But do CH charge or take a percentage in profit, for example if i was to give you say 50 shirts and ask you to stock and sell them on when there's interest, and you ask for a percentage for stocking and the sale of the shirts, i would sell them my self and in return gain more of the profit to invest else where.

Being a FAN of a sports team means you take the good as it comes and the bad with a pinch of salt! people will moan if somethings wrong, its what we do as fans. everyone turns into the biggest hockey critic when we are bad, but when we play well everyone's loving life. so at this precise moment if we are doing bad and everyone wants to moan, then fine, everyone will moan, i moan when we are bad. But watch everyone start loving it when we start winning games! i haven't seen any posts on this thread accept for the 1st and last page but i can fill in the blanks for myself, this row goes on every year.
about the whole jersey situation, its clear.... if it took me 2 months to get a new jersey im pretty sure that having jerseys in the shop etc will not be happening for a WHILE!!!

TheStub

Re: Re: With fans like these who needs enemies.

drummer-ricky said:
Kipper said:

But do CH charge or take a percentage in profit, for example if i was to give you say 50 shirts and ask you to stock and sell them on when there's interest, and you ask for a percentage for stocking and the sale of the shirts, i would sell them my self and in return gain more of the profit to invest else where.
Subtle difference with CH is they were the producer of the merch. I'd guess the club used to take a percentage of every sale. Not as profitable, but a lot less work and no up front capital.

There is also the availability of the items to purchase. Devils tat is most likely to be purchased at the rink. Low value items have more worth within a context, and our context is the ice rink. Placing the items for sale in the Rink Shop would then increase that "context" as it increases it to when ever people are using the rink.

There is also nothing stopping the Devils stocking a selection of the higher value products themselves, and selling the direct through their website - increasing the profit on some of those sales.

I'd argue the Devils require sales volume over margin. 5% of 1000 is more than 10% of 100.

Sheincar

But has been mentioned above, this discussion happens every year. We keep coming up with suggestions of what the fans want to buy & the club ignores us. It's all very well the club saying it needs to increase revenue but if it's not prepared to take on board our suggestions then we're all wasting our time & patience. When Shannon had the shop in WNIR I bought no end of T shirts & little gifts for kids etc but since we've been in the BBT I've only bought a few things & that's been from Corky because I prefer his styles & he has the stock. I can't see Corky being willing to sell Rhino shirts for the club.

TheStub

Testify.

This should be a good revenue stream, but merch is more than that. When I went to Prague last year I went to watch Sparta play and treated myself to some odds and ends from their excellent shop. The fact that I own the merch now makes me identify with the team... owning a T-shirt, hat, keyring or pencil, never mind replica jersey, takes a few seconds to purchase but forges a bond and identity with the club.

Better merch will help keep fans.

My colleague's kids have taken the foam fingers to school every day this week. They are Devils fans now, cemented daily. They will come again, more than once (despite the long drive from Ammanford). Merch is a powerful thing.

TheStub said:
Testify.

This should be a good revenue stream, but merch is more than that. When I went to Prague last year I went to watch Sparta play and treated myself to some odds and ends from their excellent shop. The fact that I own the merch now makes me identify with the team... owning a T-shirt, hat, keyring or pencil, never mind replica jersey, takes a few seconds to purchase but forges a bond and identity with the club.
Snap :) I didn't fancy forking out for a jersey, but picked up a long sleeve T - smashing! :)

I now support Sparta in the Czech league and would back them against any other european team (other than the Devils of course)

I think the T has contributed to that...although I reckon Sparta's AWESOME intro had something to do with it as well! :D

ASHIPP

Steelers have just launched their on-line shop. Some great little items for £5 and under like mini car jerseys/flags, and a dual coloured bracelet for £2.