Who next?

Mooney#16

No Brit will relocate for a new arena you're quite correct. They'd be a fool to. They may however for better pay, terms and conditions and promise of ice time on a roster definitely competing for honours and and coach that will help there core skills. I'll give you that in the EIHL the recruitment of Brits is the hardest job but if as reported in articles Devils are serious about winning they have to find a way.

Already Peacock and Phillips have moved. Myers is going somewhere. You can knock my opinion as unrealistic but that's movement. My point simply is that four line hockey is becoming a pre requisite in this league and for Devils moving to big ice now is the time for it to arrive in Cardiff. The budget allocation and recruitment of that Brit forward should be a priority. If Lordo is still saying four line hockey is undecided I fear there is potential for making a fundamental off season mistake.

I'm positive Lordo and TK are all over this but I think we're allowed to pick up on a quote like that and question it's content.

terry hunt

If the Myers statement is to be believed i think the Devils would be very foolish to miss out on

signing him.He must be the best available Brit around at the moment.

ASHIPP

I don't believe they are undecided about 4 line hockey at all. The club acknowleged that the reason we lost the CC was because Panthers were able to roll 4 good lines. This is a massive lesson learnt...think the club is playing things down.

Let's not get too excited about Matthews' departure from Nottingham. The PR might suggest he wants to be near family. That could mean he is retiring or going to another club........or he could be joining the Devils as Captain with a testimonial deal the season after Richie's. Wouldn 't that be something....let's keep hoping.

Electro

Professional players of all sports don't put down deep roots, having to move to another club, city or country is part of the job.

So it's not a big issue if the player is a player.

Electro

That does not mean he'd return to the Devil's.

In fact he'd probably dismiss that as an issue, you wouldn't want a club offering you a lesser deal on the assumption you need/want to return.

It's poker face time.

Jonesy83

Electro said:

In fact he'd probably dismiss that as an issue, you wouldn't want a club offering you a lesser deal on the assumption you need/want to return.

It's poker face time.
Part of me thinks that's what could have happened last season.

Foxy

Electro said:

It's poker face time.
Maybe the deal has already been made and we've just not announced it.

osh

As Myers has announced he's leaving Nottingham, I sincerely hope he is coming back to the Devils. Make no mistake, he was a huge loss to us last season. He was dogged by injuries the season before when he was with us, and maybe that had some bearing on what was offered him to stay.
I know for sure that the Devils undervalued him considerably and made him a pretty poor salary offer after which he returned to the Panthers. I am sure that Lord doesn't have the final say on salaries, that is Todd Kelmans area I would suggest. TK tried - and failed - to get Myers on the cheap and failed miserably last time. Let's hope a good enough offer is being made, or has been made to get him back here for next season. There is no doubting Mathew has enjoyed himself in Nottingham over the years, but it is obvious he wants to be in Cardiff with his family and, if signed, and being the pro he is will give 100% for his home town club. I'd hate to see such a talent play elsewhere.

Wannabe2

osh said:
As Myers has announced he's leaving Nottingham, I sincerely hope he is coming back to the Devils. Make no mistake, he was a huge loss to us last season. He was dogged by injuries the season before when he was with us, and maybe that had some bearing on what was offered him to stay.
I know for sure that the Devils undervalued him considerably and made him a pretty poor salary offer after which he returned to the Panthers. I am sure that Lord doesn't have the final say on salaries, that is Todd Kelmans area I would suggest. TK tried - and failed - to get Myers on the cheap and failed miserably last time. Let's hope a good enough offer is being made, or has been made to get him back here for next season. There is no doubting Mathew has enjoyed himself in Nottingham over the years, but it is obvious he wants to be in Cardiff with his family and, if signed, and being the pro he is will give 100% for his home town club. I'd hate to see such a talent play elsewhere.
That's a huge statement to make, wonder if you can back that up with facts,

Electro

If that is true, Todd may be stuck in a position that may mean Myers will want at least last yrs offer to return & that may mean he won't be returning.

I'm no expert of Todd, but one thing l do know is that backing a Managing Director into a position such as this tends to have only one conclusion. Myers is not that good a player. Myers may have to choose to eat humble pie if he is needing to return to Cardiff.

osh

Wannabe2 said:
osh said:
That's a huge statement to make, wonder if you can back that up with facts,
Don't have to...you have my word on it. I know it's correct, you believe what you like to believe.

osh

Electro said:
If that is true, Todd may be stuck in a position that may mean Myers will want at least last yrs offer to return & that may mean he won't be returning.

I'm no expert of Todd, but one thing l do know is that backing a Managing Director into a position such as this tends to have only one conclusion. Myers is not that good a player. Myers may have to choose to eat humble pie if he is needing to return to Cardiff.
Wrong, Myers would probably want an improvement on last year's poor offer I'd say. He's asking for what he thinks he's worth, whether the powers to be agree is up to them. Myers is that good a player in my opinion, good enough to get an improved offer of last year's terms which he chose to refuse. There is no humble pie involved on either side.

voth26

osh said:
Electro said:

Wrong, Myers would probably want an improvement on last year's poor offer I'd say. He's asking for what he thinks he's worth, whether the powers to be agree is up to them. Myers is that good a player in my opinion, good enough to get an improved offer of last year's terms which he chose to refuse. There is no humble pie involved on either side.
My take is that both sides need each other!!, the devils need a good Brit ie Myers and Myers wants/needs to ideally play very local to his family so hello Devils!!. whilst Myers is a good player certainly on face offs which we badly missed last season, I don't think he holds the upper hand in the package he wants, the same for the Devils if they think they will get Myers on the cheap because of his decision to leave panthers due to his family situation then that's not going to happen. As i've said previously when Myers was here season before last I always got the impression he didn't really want to be here and felt the Devils were beneath him a view shared by quite a few others. If he signs then like every other player who signs for the Devils he will get my full support.

ASHIPP

Reading the press release from Panthers and Matthew's statement, there is no doubt that both parties are disappointed about this situation.It's obvious he was happy playing there and it's the club he would have wanted to continue his career with. And why not..he's had a good career at a winning club.

There are no hints about his intentions to either continue playing or to retire. I would say that an annoucement that he has signed for an EPL team after this would suggest he no longer wants to play at Elite level....or that an agreement could not be reached with another Elite team.

To lose another British player of that calibre would be a travesty, especially one so close to home.

Electro

So the Devils want him at all costs, Todd's willing to back down and give him all he wants, Myers wants it.

So an announcement will be imminent.

Devil_Abroad

Guys, Devils will have a budget set in their minds based on projected ticket sales and income from sponsors. They will have a plan on what type of players, the mix of skill, speed and toughness, dressing room attitude etc they require and therefore how many Brits

If they think they need a Mathew Myers type player and a bonus he's British they will weigh up how much they think they can afford and then probably offer a little less than that.

Myers will then weigh up all his offers, money, distance, and quality of hockey, and decide whether he also wants to continue if the offers don't fit.

Lots of variables, no sense in trying to make it sound so simple

I hope they can agree terms and also fit Davies in too but I'm not managing the budget! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kal

Myers must already have a deal in place with someone or I don't think that announcement would have been made. Saying he has to leave a team he clearly wants to play for because he needs to be closer to family would mean he's given all the clubs nearer to Cardiff all the negotiation power. So he's either made a massive mistake in showing his hand, already signed a deal or legitimately considering retirement.

Kal said:
Myers must already have a deal in place with someone or I don't think that announcement would have been made. Saying he has to leave a team he clearly wants to play for because he needs to be closer to family would mean he's given all the clubs nearer to Cardiff all the negotiation power. So he's either made a massive mistake in showing his hand, already signed a deal or legitimately considering retirement.
Agreed. If Myers hasn't agreed something, he (or the Panthers perhaps) have scuppered his negotiating position. Someone like Peacock probably secured top dollar from the Clan on the basis that, if he was prepared to move to Glasgow, he might be equally willing to go to Sheffield or Cardiff.

Now that it has been made clear that Myers wants to be closer to home, he has lost the ability to play Cardiff off against other teams by 'bluffing' that he might move to the Steelers or the Giants, for example.

Hopefully, both parties will take a sensible approach. Devils could offer 'good brit money' (but not 'top brit money') to a player who wants to be able to move home, and Myers can accept that little bit less than he is perhaps worth for the convenience factor. If either party holds the other to ransom, the relationship will be strained and no-one will benefit.