Who next?

jimmy snels

Thread starter #1
With the almost essential re-signings, attention now turns to who we really really need in other positions.
Id like to see hendo return on D and hotham. Forwards wise I'd like to see some fresh blood. Arguments could be made for most to return but i think with the capitulation two years on the trot we need to change up. Id like to see two genuine power forwards for example and use them in that way. Genuine play makers and scorers. I think we've had everyone trying to play every role. I hope we look for balance this off season.
Who would you like to see in a red jersey next season?

ASHIPP

I would like to think that the next player announcement will be a valuable import returnee - the playoffs are only just ending in ECHL, AHL and Europe so it may be a while longer before we hear anything.

And any announcement regarding another British player might well be kept until later...if there is news to release, of course.

Devil94

With the one import increase, that means we will have an import forward playing on the fourth line. Will be interesting to see what kind of player Lordo will go for as a 10th forward. Can we compromise a bit on playing ability for toughness?
A better high energy crash bang wallop line is something we need from last year I think. Can see how much Nottingham's fourth line took it out of us in CC final.

Mooney#16

If they sign Myers for the third you can have two imports on the fourth with CJ .Plenty of moving and shaking to be done with the roster yet.

Ibbz9

Plenty of good British players out there. Many are playing in North America. Shawn Mackie, Liam Morris, Josh Grieveson, Dave Clements, Adam Jones, Craig Moore....plus obviously the Cardiff lad in Germany. Joe Lewis??

ASHIPP

Ibbz9 said:
Plenty of good British players out there. Many are playing in North America. Shawn Mackie, Liam Morris, Josh Grieveson, Dave Clements, Adam Jones, Craig Moore....plus obviously the Cardiff lad in Germany. Joe Lewis??
Grieveson and Moore have already been signed up by Dundee, I think.

Ibbz9

Two real good signings. Thet may not be major hits this season, but certainly two guys that could have real good futures.

Mooney#16

Devil_Abroad said:
Lord not decided yet according to his interview with icetimetv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that's true he's half way to writing his own obituary as Devils coach. Lordo strikes me as quite a progressive guy but if he continues with the errors of last years three line run and gun I'm afraid he'll fully deserve to get gassed. If a guy like Myers is available you grab that opportunity with both hands and if that means sucking it up and admitting a mistake you take that for the team. I include TK in that. If they can't it's nothing short of bloody minded arrogance.

Finny

Who would you have definitely signed for the 4th line Mooney? Remember that Myers has only just confirmed he isn't returning to Nottingham and hasn't decided what he will do.

Finny

Plus, after watching the interview it certainly sounds like we're trying to bring in additional Brits to play 4 lines.

Mooney#16

You don't have to sign a Brit for the fourth line. You can sign a Brit to play any number in the forward lines and so all could have been potential targets. I said previously I'd have also gone great guns for Garside and Matty Davies would have been another as I think we need a Brit centre. Hence not thinking Ben would be a great fit as well. All could have been promised third line hockey and would have justified it with performance. Peacock moved for ice time. I dare say Clan offered more than Giants and us once it was known he was open to offers.

Myers would be a waste on the fourth line. He should play third unit and get two imports on the fourth to bring the energy and hitting along side CJ.

Mooney#16

And come on Finny. You know as well as I do the Brits will have started negotiating positions with teams weeks before this.

Nottingham suddenly releasing a statement about Myers not returning. That either means Myers has concluded a contract negotiation somewhere or they are trying to give Devils nowhere to go in a negotiation and get the fans the levy some pressure. Who knows he could be off to Blaze or Swindon but that would be a poor indictment on the Devils.

Four line hockey with where the league is right now is a pre requisite for this year otherwise it'll be boom time and burn out once again. If they are serious about winning the league. They have to find a way to make it work. Myers being to clear favourite but if not someone else.

voth26

Mooney#16 said:
Devil_Abroad said:
Lord not decided yet according to his interview with icetimetv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If that's true he's half way to writing his own obituary as Devils coach. Lordo strikes me as quite a progressive guy but if he continues with the errors of last years three line run and gun I'm afraid he'll fully deserve to get gassed. If a guy like Myers is available you grab that opportunity with both hands and if that means sucking it up and admitting a mistake you take that for the team. I include TK in that. If they can't it's nothing short of bloody minded arrogance.
Really think that's a bit harsh and far fetched I think. Don't be under any doubt IF myers signs and it's a big IF then it's only because he want's to be near his family and not live in Nottingham without them, which I can understand but if I'm honest I never really got the feeling that he wanted to be here last time around.

Mooney#16

Just to be clear I'm not saying Myers or else. My criticism would be that four line hockey could still up in the air. It should have been a priority to facilitate it through recruitment before the season had even finished. Myers is the obvious pick up but I hope plenty of other Brits were approached and in a very aggressive terms of offering wages and ice time. TK and Lordo strategised last off season they could load three lines and activate the D and smoke the league offensively. It didn't work as the offence came in something like 7th in league scoring. It was surprisingly the defence that performed better with goals against. Now I can buy it as the rink change had an impact in that strategy and budget compromises were made that saw Myers leave but there is zero doubting even if the Devils had won the league, the season opening strategy was incorrect.

Do I think it correct to sit here and not comment when four line hockey is still discussed as a possibility instead of certainty. No. No point saying they got it wrong again this time next season as part of the hindsight committee. Better to challenge the topic now if you ask me.

Finny

Mooney#16 said:
You don't have to sign a Brit for the fourth line. You can sign a Brit to play any number in the forward lines and so all could have been potential targets. I said previously I'd have also gone great guns for Garside and Matty Davies would have been another as I think we need a Brit centre. Hence not thinking Ben would be a great fit as well. All could have been promised third line hockey and would have justified it with performance. Peacock moved for ice time. I dare say Clan offered more than Giants and us once it was known he was open to offers.

Myers would be a waste on the fourth line. He should play third unit and get two imports on the fourth to bring the energy and hitting along side CJ.
Just because you would have gone big guns for Garside and Matty Davies doesn't mean you would have got them. Nor Peacock. Don't forget that Belfast to Glasgow is not the biggest move in the world and easily commutable if needed.

With Peacock gone I can't see Garside being lured away from Belfast. Having lost an expensive Brit they now have more money to keep their existing Brits.

And Davies is Manchester's Captain. And effectively a local boy. Can't see us being able to offer him more than he is currently getting there.

I think you're being very unrealistic if you think we can convince established Brits to move across the country to us just because we have a new arena.