Vother's injury

DevilDom

wildthing74 said:
I think the silence says a lot.
Yeah i'd agree.

Call me a cynic (and I am one) but the PR exercise went something like:

First stage - Say waiting to see length of time Voth will be out.
2nd Stage - Say G has been given go ahead to get replacement.
3rd stage - Say looking at Pirps but would possibly take too long
4th stage - Say how well Ben and Sam are doing
5th stage - Say hopeful Voth will be back in 4 weeks
6th Stage - Go quiet and hope nobody notices! :twisted:

Personally I'd be surprised if we see Voth playing in a competitive game again before November but at least he will be fresh for the 2nd half of the season! :lol:

Wes would of course be great, but would he need a work permit too?
I could see the possibility/hope of signing Wes later on for the rest of the season if a big move to Europe didn't work out, in the same way as we signed Tyson last time round, but, if we do sign someone to fill in for Voth, then I think it will be a player that becomes available quickly in Europe and if the right player doesn't come up, we won't sign anyone.

Koop11

I personally feel the signing of a defenseman would be the best way forward for the team. This is the area we need a little more strength in depth. Even with Voth out we have plenty of goals in our forward line up. Adams can fill this role if needs be while we wait for Voth's return although Ben and Sam are doing a good job in his absence.

If we were to sign a Jarvis then we'd be very well positioned to compete at the top of the league. I would however welcome a Hartwick who will be very solid and free up some of the more offensive defenseman we do have.

I'm sure Gerad has his own plans and in time will receive the backing he needs to make whatever decision he feels is best for the team.

Having Jarvis back would be fab. And from what I've heard and read from the teams form so far this season, sounds like the D definitely needs a bit of shaking of up of some description. Looks like they're not really missing Voth.

It would be really interesting if somone could get an interview with one or two of the players, maybe the newbies who havent played with Voth before, and get a real honest sense of how THEY feel the team have been both with, and without Voth, on the ice with them.

But, we know we'll never get that... team members being brutally honest about how its better without Voth. :? :lol: Would be a very interesting article to read though.

Guess, if Voth is coming back, we shall all just have to wait and see!!

DevilDom

James said:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/sports-news-round-up/2010/09/24/ice-hockey-devils-boss-is-putting-his-case-for-the-defence-91466-27331244/
No replacement but Voth should be back on the ice next week
It says he will be back doing some light training on the ice and can hold a stick lightly. I would therefore guess it will still be a few weeks before we see him in a competitive game.

As has been said the team has done ok without him, so there is no need to rush him back only for him to re-injure humself and be out longer again.

I personally think he should come back on the 3rd line as well sharing the 10th forward spot with Sam and work his way back up to the 2nd line if he proves worthy of it.

TheStub

DevilDom said:
I personally think he should come back on the 3rd line as well sharing the 10th forward spot with Sam and work his way back up to the 2nd line if he proves worthy of it.
That sounds like a good plan. Give him time to work his way back in, get match fit and also not upset the lines too much in one go.

Gaz G

I think i'm in the minority here who would get Vother straight back into the team and straight back into his normal 2nd line posistion.

While Ben and Sam have both done exceptionaly well I think they can continue to do the same on the third line sharing the duties. They have time on their side and will only improve over the next few years.

It's no coincidence that Brad had his best years with us (points wise) when there was someone else willing to do the fighting and let brad play his game, create space, score goals and mix it up when he has to. To write him off after one competitive game seems ludicrous to me and I have no doubt that with Sawyer on the team who seems more than willing to fight anyone at any time Vother will score more points than Davies and Smith put together.

Also very interesting to note that 90% of people wanted a replacement (import) for him when he initially got injured and how the tables have no turned. Is this a sign that Ben and Sam have proved everyone wrong or certainly those who didn't have any faith in them being able to play a regular shift. Whats to say Vother won't come back hungry to prove all the doubters wrong.

He is widely considered amongst coaches (who incidently know a damn site more about the game and players contributions and influence on the team than we do) as the best and most sought after power forward in the league. We are now saying that we don't really need him. On another thread people are saying that without the injury he would probably have made the all star team for the game against the bruins. Certainly suggests he can play a bit to me.

Give the guy a chance and I think people will soon be eating their words. I can't see how him being on the 3rd line will help. If anything that is the line for me that should pretty much be kept the same. Think the 2nd line with extra space can only get better than it is now and we know how well Hilly plays along side Voth. The confidence that Hill and Finnerty will gain by having him back on their side will almost certainly be shown immediately.

Rant over. Time will tell.

DevilDom

I still don't expect to see Voth back in a competitive game for another 3 or 4 weeks, but we'll see.

The suggestion to play him on the 3rd line was for a number of reasons;
1. To ease him back into the side without risking another injury
2. To help him build up match fitness
3. To not immediately break up the lines that have been pretty successful in the last few weeks.

If he still has it as you suggest then he should shine wherever he plays and I definitely hope he does. I'm definitely not in the we shouldn't have re-signed him camp. There is nobody who would love it more than me if he comes back and dominates the ice like he did 2 or 3 seasons ago.

ASHIPP

Today's article says Vother will start training in a couple of weeks - that's not giving any time scale on when he will be match fit! :?

He is no stranger to the 3rd line having played there for a period last year. However, I don't think playing on ANY line is an easy option for a player this year. Tylor, Stuart and Sam are probably the most dangerous, gritty and fast of our 3 lines - v difficult to play against....and scoring goals/assists and have an understanding developing there.

I have just got the feeling Vother will return straight to the 2nd line to maintain the chemistry/continuity he already has with Phil and Ryan......with Ben, playing so well right now, doing a majority of those shifts initially with Vother easing himself back in. :?

One thing we can be pretty sure of is that G will want Brad back in the line up. Whatever you think about his strengths and weaknesses, I am pretty sure that every player genuinely wants his influence back on the bench and in the dressing room.

If he needs to be eased back into action is only dependent on whether he is able to get up to match fitness quickly, if the hand isn't 100% he wont play, cos he will be made to fight on his return by other enforcers, you can depend on that. Whichever line he goes back onto, I really cant see him rotating with Sam or Ben for more than a game or too, he will retain a fixed spot on the roster I am sure of that and I'm pretty sure he will get straight back into the 2nd line.

The line with Hill, Jay and Voth, was seen as the hardest line to match up against in the league not to long ago. I cant believe its got any easier since Finnerty came in and I cant see G wanting to change that formula. Ben, despite how well he is playing, hardly fits the plan for that line.

I just had a look at Brad's stats for the last few years on Hockeydb and must admit I was surprised to see that in the past 2 years, which are the years I have begun to have mixed opinions about his play he has scored 38 and 33 points, only 2 points behind his best year, 3 seasons ago.

I might be the only person surprised by this, but it changes my feelings tbh and if he can come back from his injury as he should and have another similar points tally, I will be very pleased we signed him.

Wannabe2

Brad has consistently put up good stats, thats exactly why every other team in the league wanted to sign him, put his stats with his ability to look after his team mates, and you see exactly why G big time wanted him back. The team are playing well at the moment, and will be even stronger when Cardiffs Lord Mayor returns, hurry back Brad cant wait for your return.

voth26

It was nice to see brad wait to tap every players glove when they came off the ice at the end of the game he could have been the first into the changing room, he was also encourging them every shift, it cant be easy to stand and watch. also did his dance which caused a cheer :lol:

wildthing74

Thread starter #239
Lets get him earning his wages and get him coaching from the bench to free up G.Years ago when we had Ian Cooper injured it helped Lawless conentrate more on playing to good effect.
I reckon Brad would be a good coach and has the respect of everybody at the club.

A

Anonymous

Voth always urges players on during the game, he also waits round at the end and taps the players after the game whilst doing a little dance, great team guy.