Vother's injury

ASHIPP

Today's Echo article confirms how well Ben is doing - this is great news for him and the team. With little reference to Vother's injury progress in the press release, it seems to suggest (without actually saying it) that the Club may now not pursue a cover replacement and go with the lines they have. :?

It's fighting and optimistic language in the article to talk about 'Devils underlining their title challenge' by winning against the Giants this weekend. Remembering, of course, that the Giants have already won a few league games! :cool: Granted our last game against them was very close, but the Giants were the team to pick up the points - if they have already worked out how to win at the Tent, they can do it again. :eek:

E.D.S.

TheStub said:
I think you are unduly pessamistic. We have taken three top teams to one goal.

I agree that the lower teams will not be the push over some think (for any team), but we should be able to beat them.
Unfortunately we don't get any points for running them close (unless of course its overtime). I know what you're saying Stub but I'm not interested in running them close. We need wins and a championship challenging team, which we don't have - yet.

Finny

Re: Henderson and the Panthers (sounds like a Film title)

It sounds like they have now signed Slovakian Robert Liscak as a replacement...though he doesn't look that good stats wise.

Looks like a cheaper player as a replacement, brought in quickly as he wont need a Visa. My guess is that he is either temporary, or (more likely), he will end up as an extra import for injury cover. If Henderson is out long term I would expect another player to come in to be his real replacement once paperwork is sorted.

Just a guess, but I don't think he's a full replacement for Henderson.

wildthing74

Thread starter #206
That was my point.They are filling the gap now and have done so quickly.No doubt he is not an able replacement for Henderson but they have brought somebody in at what seems very short notice.Wish we had done the same.

osh

Agree with Wildthing on this one. According to the Panthers statement, they say they only knew for sure of the Henderson thing at the beginning of the week and have worked hard to get this guy here in 3 days! I hope our lot are looking at this, I repeat 3 days! As I have said numerous times before regarding replacement players, they are certainly out there, its just having the know how ( and funds) in finding them and bringing them in, and the quickest option would always be a player with an EU passport or similar.

DevilDom

This was my point early. Is it a case of lack of funds (not according to the Devils Management) or a case of not having the right contacts / contingency plan for such a case arising. Given what the Panthers have been able to do it would appear like the latter.

Finny

If the Panthers only knew at the start of this week that Henderson was injured - what on earth did they think was the reason he hadn't played in all their earlier games??????

ASHIPP

Finny said:
If the Panthers only knew at the start of this week that Henderson was injured - what on earth did they think was the reason he hadn't played in all their earlier games??????
Perhaps they didn't know the exactly how serious his injury was until last week. Henderson had an injury and maybe believed he would improve in a given time period. But that didn't happen. Whether the Slovakian is temporary or permanent at Nottingham, the fact still remains, they took immediate, positive action to resolve the situation - in my book, a serious statement of intent that they are not taking any more changes of being short-benched through injury. Top marks for that. :cool:

Exactly, they didn't know how serious the injury was? Sound familiar? We don't know how serious Brad's injury is yet. Do some people honestly think G doesn't have the know how to bring in someone quickly? It's all about funds. If it's a four week injury, it's not worth it, especially when you consider our relatively light schedule up ahead.

I understand about how running the top teams close isn't good enough but how many games have we played? Look at Coventry, would anyone say it's unlikely they'll win the league? I wouldn't write them off. Have they had a much better start than us? Have we even played any mid-table teams yet? This is sport, enjoy the ride - the ups and downs.

Then again, I'm in a good mood today. Maybe my opinion will change tomorrow

osh

ASHIPP said:
Finny said:
Perhaps they didn't know the exactly how serious his injury was until last week. Henderson had an injury and maybe believed he would improve in a given time period. But that didn't happen. Whether the Slovakian is temporary or permanent at Nottingham, the fact still remains, they took immediate, positive action to resolve the situation - in my book, a serious statement of intent that they are not taking any more changes of being short-benched through injury. Top marks for that. :cool:

Think you've got it right ASHIPP, obviously they knew he was injured Finny, but not the extent. Very similar to the Voth issue, the only difference is that once the full extent of Hendersons injury was known, the Panthers have managed to get a player in within 3 days ! lets give them credit and not try and belittle their situation Finny.

matt1986; We were told we would have known how long Voth would be out by today. If he was to miss a further 4 weeks, that would mean he misses 6 weeks in total. If it is to be 4 more weeks you don't think its worth bringing someone in do you ? As mentioned previously, it doesn't appear that the club have a contingency plan in place for this sort of thing. We could have further injuries at any time so we need to address this sort of thing with more urgency than we seem to be doing at the moment.

DevilDom

So Voth has been told to not even move his hand for 4 weeks (but from when? - today or when he last saw the doc or from when he had his operation?). That cuts out most gym work and he certainly won't be holding a stick. I'm going to take a punt that we will not see him back playing for at least 6 weeks and it may will be more like 8 weeks rather than 4 weeks hoped for.

I guess it depends how you look at it. The big boss may say I'm going to spend x amount on players wages this year and no more. Maybe he's thinking we're going to bring someone in half way through the season. Do we bring in cover for four weeks for Voth and then bring in the more permanent D man a month later than planned or do we try to push through these four weeks (with our relatively light schedule) and then bring in our 'half a season' guy a month earlier. We aint Nottingham, not yet anyway.

If it's longer than 4 weeks then I'm assuming they're going to reconsider their options.

It's a tough one. I guess we'll have to see how this pans out.

DevilDom

matt1986 said:
I guess it depends how you look at it. The big boss may say I'm going to spend x amount on players wages this year and no more. Maybe he's thinking we're going to bring someone in half way through the season. Do we bring in cover for four weeks for Voth and then bring in the more permanent D man a month later than planned or do we try to push through these four weeks (with our relatively light schedule) and then bring in our 'half a season' guy a month earlier. We aint Nottingham, not yet anyway.

If it's longer than 4 weeks then I'm assuming they're going to reconsider their options.

But he has already been out for 2 weeks. If it's 4 weeks from now before he can even move his hand then he is not going to be back playing for at least another 6 weeks and could well be 8 weeks. That would be a total of 10 weeks out. We have been down this route before where injuries drag on for much longer than first expected.

It was my undertsanding that G had been given the "go-ahead to go out and get a replacement" so i'm assuming that it's not simply about money (unless it's a bit of smoke and mirrors by the club). Therefore it would appear that we don't have the ability to find a replacement or are taking an unessecary risk (IMO) that Voth will be back sooner rather than later.

I appreciate this is a difficult situation, however the Management (and I don't just mean G) are paid to make these decisions and make the right ones. I just hope this turns out to be the right one.

osh

matt1986 said:

Well, this is how I look at it. Voth has been told not to move his hand, its likely to be 4 weeks before he may be able to use it, and then possibly 2 weeks later before he's ready to go, that makes a total of 8 weeks that he will have been out. Imo we need to bring in a D man, we've already got cover for Voth with Ben, Sam and G himself. Its no good waiting as Matt 1986 suggests until half a season has gone by to bring in a D man, now is the time, it will take him a good couple of weeks to adjust to his team mates but unless we do so we have to accept that we will be competing in the 2nd tier of the Elite league with our hopes of silverware resting on success in the CC , or in our wildest dreams, the play offs.

ASHIPP

Osh - certainly sounds like a scenario they could be considering. I wondered whether the Vother's injury might have foced the Devils t bring forward their long-term suggested plan, which was to bring in another quality d-man. This has, afterall, been mentioned in a few earlier press releases and interviews.

G is obviously happy with Ben and Sam's progress and contribution to the team. It sounds like he's comfortable that their standard is good enough now to cover that position. G himself is a good 2-way player, so there is additional cover already there - if they bring in a dman.

It's all about time and money, isn't it? - how quickly they want/need want another player. News article today suggested they were looking in Europe. I'm guessing :? asap in which case it might be injury cover only and play as they are. :?

osh

ASHIPP; Thanks for info about looking to Europe at this time, I wasn't aware of any news like that, but I'm glad to hear it. I would agree that it appears that G is pleased with the progress of Sam & Ben but will ultimately be hoping for as early a return of Voth as possible, and when he does return it will not only lift the fans but will be a huge boost for the team. That is why I think they may be looking at a good physical D as both the Smiths dont seem to have the intimidating factor that is needed in defence, and we shouldn't have to just rely on Sawyer all the time. If they do bring in a D pretty soon and he performs well, he may just secure himself a contract for the rest of the season. I must just add, others have suggested about the expense of bringing in a player. I see it that we should be able to pay wages and flights without too much problem, as for accommodation, well a 3 bed apartment is not much more to rent than a 2 bed ( same with a 4 against a 3 bed etc) and that may well have been considered pre season, who knows. It all forms part of a contingency plan that I feel should already be in place, and learning and reading about the foresight of Mr Ragan, I'm sure its something that will have already been discussed at least.

wildthing74

Thread starter #220
Oh well,looks like we're going with what we got and not replacing Brad.Just hope we don't get any more injuries to the forwards.
With Brad being told not to even move his hand for 4 weeks,could even be nearer Christmas before he's back to his best.