voth concerns?

DevilDom

E.D.S. said:
I take your point DevilDom but for me you'd have to compare the points across the team not just the second line, then you'd have to look at the teams we've played during Voth's time out and his time in the team. Basically there are so many variables that could account for more points/wins during his time in or out that it virtually becomes null and void. Apprecaite this is a bit airy fairy but I would just prefer to look at the balance of the team with Voth in it. We're not the finished article by any strectch but you've got to admit we look stronger than ever before and for me that starts with having Voth in the team. He's a presence and that presence brings a hole host of benefits that have already been lauded on to Voth. I loved how Ben stepped up and how well that line did with him there but the team as a whole wasn't the same. I'm not dismissing your point DevilDom, I just think that looking at one set of stats (whilst interesting) wouldn't really give us the full picture.
Don't get me wrong - I am a Vother lover not a hater :lol: and I know he adds a lot to our overall game as a team. I just think it would be an interesting stat.

If the purpose of that line is to be more of an agitator line than a points scoring line then that's fair enough, but as I said in my first post - when we needed someone to get things going on Sunday and spark a bit of life it didn't come from the 2nd line - it was the 3rd line (again!).

I know we are winning and on a great roll, but there is nothing wrong with looking at the make-up of the lines and trying to improve further - after all if we are going to win something this year we will probably need all 3 lines firing not just the 2 as it is now.

Finny

It's taking time for Voth to get back to full match sharpness - but I'd still keep him on that line. At the end of last season it was our best line and in recent games they've started to show they are starting to click again.

No doubt Brad did have an off game on Sunday imo, and I was quite pleased to see him take that penalty in the 3rd so that Ben could have some ice time. That said surely just like us all, anyone is entitled to an off day and I'm sure they will be few and far between this season for the big guy.

kettdevil1

phil PLT said:
No doubt Brad did have an off game on Sunday imo, and I was quite pleased to see him take that penalty in the 3rd so that Ben could have some ice time. That said surely just like us all, anyone is entitled to an off day and I'm sure they will be few and far between this season for the big guy.
Sounds a fair summary to me. The second line actually have a big week coming up - we will be missing both Ben and Sam so unless we call up one of the ENL boys we will be running with one of the first line double shifting on the third and the second line having to step things up a little.

TheStub

The only figures I have calculated was for November, and then was a little crude. But from that the second line is the lowest scoring - only managing 1.15 goals a game (I think - I'm in a hotel and can't be bothered to check).

Personally I'll take that. Our worst line is averaging over a goal a game... Voth is better playing a physical wind up game, rather than sitting in the box. Recently I've noticed him making more smart plays, rather than warm the pen bench. As someone has already said, I'll take no/lossing fights and win every game.

I dont post on here very often, but I have watched the devils for 5 years so Im not veteran by any stretch but the make up of the team to me is spot on at the minute, we are playing really good hockey. If Vother has tailored his style to the make up of the team which I think he has done I think its spot on!
Im sure in games gone by we have seen voth take some stupid penalties and we have suffered but at the mo I think his presence is felt on the ice and he would as we know step up (as long as hand ok) to fight!
Im probably wrong but...if it aint broke dont fix it.....keep the mentality of the team the same unless we looked bullied which going on last saturdays cov v panties game they may try and do, leave the fighting out.
A fight can change a game but sometimes losing voth for 5 mins or more has been negative....
His playing tho has been quiet but im convinced he can step it up.

I did notice sunday tho he showed a little consideration to the stars and I missed his antics lol......but im a devils fan...im not supposed to be happy lol!!

Wannabe2

James said:
Take a gander at the Braehead forums. They were all very impressed. Remember we've been watching Voth for 5-6 years now, compared to their first views of him. Maybe we have just become accustomed to his play.
Actually he did drop the gloves with Bruce at Braehead, after he tried to run Lyle, Brad went straight for him, throwing him to the ice, so the venom is still there, and the passion. He is still a big integral part of this seasons squad, and long may that continue.

James

Administrator
Didn't realise he'd dropped them with Bruce. Guess there is still some history there. He gave Bruce a pasting when he was at the Phoenix I seem to remember.

He's still a big presence on the ice both physically and mentally as his reputation goes before him. I see him as playing a more mature game, maybe more in keeping with the league this season (not many enforcers) and the officiating (especially towards himself). He's had the odd off game i suppose and its taken him a bit to get back into it but i see him using his size to control the corners and putting himself in front of the Nettie to cause issues for the D.

As for out and out fighting (sorry 'fisticuffs') i wont ever get bored of Voth laughing in the face of some chippy opposition player and telling him he's not worth the 5 minutes. I think he still needs to knock a few heads to make sure people don't think he's gone soft but i'm sure his time will come (Penner, next Saturday, pretty please).

Remember we didn't get him back to fight that was supposed to fall to Sawyer and now Weller.

ASHIPP

Mark666 said:
He's still a big presence on the ice both physically and mentally as his reputation goes before him. I see him as playing a more mature game, maybe more in keeping with the league this season (not many enforcers) and the officiating (especially towards himself). He's had the odd off game i suppose and its taken him a bit to get back into it but i see him using his size to control the corners and putting himself in front of the Nettie to cause issues for the D.

As for out and out fighting (sorry 'fisticuffs') i wont ever get bored of Voth laughing in the face of some chippy opposition player and telling him he's not worth the 5 minutes. I think he still needs to knock a few heads to make sure people don't think he's gone soft but i'm sure his time will come (Penner, next Saturday, pretty please).

Remember we didn't get him back to fight that was supposed to fall to Sawyer and now Weller.
Yeah, always love that look that Vother gives opposition players who are desperately trying to wind him up and he just laughs! As folks before have said, it's all about the team this year and maybe Vother has been tasked with a slightly different role, or he is still taking care of his hand (his career insurance)....or a bit of both.

regarding him not fighting much,the first couple of weeks of him being back very understanably he stayed away from any nonsense,but did anybody notice vs Hull a couple of weeks ago he gave a hull player and nod and a shake of the gloves while play was down the ice,so i would say the hand is repaired and ready to use if need be ;)

Kipper

Has Vother needed to fight since he returned? No.

Are we on a winning streak? Yes.

Should he risk further injury to his hand just to prove a point? In my opinion,no.He has nothing to prove to anyone.

TheStub

It highlights an interesting piece of psychology - there are a fair few fans that would rather 2 fights a game every game than us to win any silverware.

Similarly there are those who would rather a bench clearance than a league title.

It is sad that the events in Coventry have driven more traffic to it's Youtube channel and website than any wins or winning streak. How that figure was inflated by fans of other teams going to crow, and how many were those who just love to see a brawl.

Personally I'd rather lose every fight badly and win a few trophies than have the league heavy weight title in Cardiff.

kettdevil1

All true, but is it about the culture of each club? We have always had a reputation as being a "tough" club. That is what we expect, hence the thirst for Brad to put each opponent through the boards at every opportunity.

This season, especially since Sawyer left, we have actually focused on playing hockey and we have been doing it rather well.. for me long may it continue. Fight when you need to (perhaps when Campbell comes to town.... :twisted: ) but, the focus has got to be on winning things.

TheStub

Re: Re: voth concerns?

kettdevil1 said:
All true, but is it about the culture of each club? We have always had a reputation as being a "tough" club. That is what we expect, hence the thirst for Brad to put each opponent through the boards at every opportunity.

This season, especially since Sawyer left, we have actually focused on playing hockey and we have been doing it rather well.. for me long may it continue. Fight when you need to (perhaps when Campbell comes to town.... :twisted: ) but, the focus has got to be on winning things.
I always think of Devils as a gritty team, who drop them when required. This seems to be our playing style this season... that and we scare every other team. :evil:

I say - as long as Simmsey clearly wants to peel his grapes and feed them to him on a gold platter in the Steelers dressing room then we keep hold of him. Just because seeing Simmsey want him but not being able to have him is the best thing in the league.

:-D :lol:

I find it strange that anyone would question the form of any of our players at the moment.The fact that the team are playing superbly would suggest that everyone is pulling their weight.For me the player who has cost us more games than anyone this year is Lyle,but look how well he is playing now.It's all about peaks and troughs and a player could go from being MOM one night to the worst player on the ice the next.
For me Voth can influence a game without doing to much with the puck,opposition are not keen to go to the boards infront of him,they are always looking over their shoulders and not many kick off when hes on the ice.I think he brings more to the team than his points return might suggest.

ASHIPP

After the Vother's performance against the Steelers, is there anyone who still has concerns about his contribution to the Team?:

A pivotal goal
A fight to change the momentum of the game in favour of the Devils
Relentless hassling and disruption of the opposition.

Is that the lot or have I missed anything? :lol:

Whilst it's horrible when a player on any team gets injured (especially if it's concussion), I don't believe for a minute that Vother's 'boarding' of Munn was a deliberate attempt to injure him, (didn't see said incident - my view was blocked) despite what some posters on Steeltalk might be trying to imply. His sheer size and momentum alone make Brad dangerous......and sometimes a target for officials, irrespective of whether his checks are clean. :?