Vipers reporting Thornton

gneissgirl1 said:
dave said:
Only match penalties are automatically reviewed.
Voth was originally given a game penalty, so why did the league review it?
Because game penalties can be reviewed at the request of the opposing coach, well that was the rule two weeks ago, then again that was two weeks ago, two weeks is a long time in Muppet hours

jodysstillagirlsname said:
gneissgirl1 said:
dave said:
Only match penalties are automatically reviewed.
Voth was originally given a game penalty, so why did the league review it?
Because game penalties can be reviewed at the request of the opposing coach, well that was the rule two weeks ago, then again that was two weeks ago, two weeks is a long time in Muppet hours
Or when the league is told to!

When EIHL DC dished out the punishments to Voth and Kozak (perhaps as an example to others), the intention was that it would stop the so called excessive rough or dirty play.

Despite this warning shot from EIHL DC, Thornton has slashed a player across the head / neck area - far, far worse than the slash to the back of the leg or the imaginary sucker punch that Voth is accused of.

What potential or actual offences occurred against us this weekend - a butt end from Cornish, a sucker punch from one or two other Bas players? Anything else?

As others have said, I don't want to see a sanitised hockey game - ZT bores the hell out of me, but IF we are to see balance and fairness, then sadly ALL teams need to do what the Squeeelers do. It's sad that we need to do this, but we need to this in this failing league.

In the meantime, in preparation for next season I hope Matt and Shannon are seriously looking at alternatives to the Extremely Inexcusable Hockey League.

davew

I don't think that Matt and like minded owners need to think about another league. After all look at the uncertainty in the sport following the failure of the BNL/ISL .

my underlying concern is that without a fully independent and powerful governing body overseeing the UK leagues then we will see this sort of owner influenced behaviour in future games and seasons.

IHUK needs to be replaced.

As for this weekend's ill discipline, I think that we will see either lengthy bans (in keeping with the league stance on Voth - this may affect team GB if thornts gets more than 12 though) or 5/6 game bans and Voth's reduced to the same......

Foxy

R2D2 said:
I
Cardiff should really cite the Bison for three different incidents, but what will this achieve? we have a very good relationship with the bison, but because of the leagues' recent rulings we have to be seen using the disciplinary proceedings to keep a level playing field

should we really be dragged down to the playground tactics of other bitter organisations?
The problem is Cadiff are going to have to do just that or it is going to appear the both Adams and Burge are going to be mere pushovers in this league.

Unfortunately Steelers have thrown down the gauntlet other teams are just going to have to accept the challenge to the detriment of ice hockey.

R2D2

Foxy said:
R2D2 said:
I
Cardiff should really cite the Bison for three different incidents, but what will this achieve? we have a very good relationship with the bison, but because of the leagues' recent rulings we have to be seen using the disciplinary proceedings to keep a level playing field

should we really be dragged down to the playground tactics of other bitter organisations?
The problem is Cadiff are going to have to do just that or it is going to appear the both Adams and Burge are going to be mere pushovers in this league.

Unfortunately Steelers have thrown down the gauntlet other teams are just going to have to accept the challenge to the detriment of ice hockey.

All the more reason to restore the status quo... & then build some failsafes

1. reduce the existing bans
2. instate a credible independent disciplinery / appeals commitee
3. make sense of and re-iterate the existing tariffs for offences
4. introduce penalties for inappropriate use of the media
5. reduce the influence of owners on the league
6. make the league completely independent from UK IH but strictly governed by them

Although I am very critical of the machinations of the Elite League, I still don't believe that a new league is the way forward. Messers Burge and Hope have had a baptism by fire during their first 5 months of tenure. But it is their best interest to work with the league to make it more open and credible to move forward and provide the best level of hockey that can be attained in the UK.

I would prefer a businessman of Matts stature to be more influential in the league. And, hopefully help to prevent the chimps tea party and childs toy throwing antics of the current running of the elite league.

Squeeler Bob and the whole Squeeler machine need to be shown how to run a hockey club, it's happening here and now in Cardiff. That's why Cardiff as an organisation are being subjected to silly games as depicted by the many guises of "MODS" on the Elite forum

The best answer is to play hockey - god damn good hockey

Wannabe2

All this nonsense that the league has started will end up with the Elite league playing a European game, and not a Nth American one. This will result in killing off the game in Britain, as the British public like the speed, and the skill of the game, but by god they love the physicality of it all, thats why we won two world wars. I am not condoning over excessive action far from it, but these comedians have opened a can of worms, that is surely going to bite them right up the rear. The superleague had its problems but they didnt deal with these sort of matters in a stupid way, as they knew it would end up killing the game.Its on your head now league, but i am sure you will deal with it in a matter that will confuse the issue even further. Good luck as you guys are going to need it, there will be reports arriving on your desks like confetti from now on.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

R2D2 said:
All the more reason to restore the status quo... & then build some failsafes

1. reduce the existing bans
2. instate a credible independent disciplinery / appeals commitee
3. make sense of and re-iterate the existing tariffs for offences
4. introduce penalties for inappropriate use of the media
5. reduce the influence of owners on the league
6. make the league completely independent from UK IH but strictly governed by them
And Publish the rule book if it exists

well it says in the article they have asked the league to take a look at the video, so HOPEFULLY we might see some consistency. And if not im sure adams will have a lot to say about it. That article makes for a very funny read, it makes payette sound like hes such a victim.

I think a lot will depend on the refs version of events, he called Thornton for 2+2 for accidental high sticking.

Now did he see it properly or did he just see Payette on the ice and make a judgement call? If he saw it clearly and called the above penalty can the league undermine his judgement and say no you were wrong you should have called this.

If they do reverse the decision then every call for Boarding/roughing/charging could be called for review if clubs felt hard done by.

And my final point as Thornton is a player coach any ban wouldn't affect his ability to coach behind the bench would it? :?

dave

glenngiant said:
I think a lot will depend on the refs version of events, he called Thornton for 2+2 for accidental high sticking.

Now did he see it properly or did he just see Payette on the ice and make a judgement call? If he saw it clearly and called the above penalty can the league undermine his judgement and say no you were wrong you should have called this.

If they do reverse the decision then every call for Boarding/roughing/charging could be called for review if clubs felt hard done by.

And my final point as Thornton is a player coach any ban wouldn't affect his ability to coach behind the bench would it? :?
Yes they can, any coach can request the league looks at any incident as long as they inform the ref at the end of he game and also then lodge the request with the league within 48 hours.
Brads penalty was seen and called a game penalty by the ref. After review it was increased to a match. I guess looking at the video the ref did not have a clear sight and would have only seen maybe the tail end of the incident ( the hand does go up for a penalty). He would have asked his linesman for advice on if it was deliberate and after that made his call. In this case 2+2. I would think this will now be upgraded to a match after review and then a ban decided upon on. I guess the league will be busy today and tomorrow as they also have to review the 2 basingstoke match penalties.
When you are serving a ban you are not allowed near the bench area so I think he will not be allowed to coach as he is registered as a player.

Gazza272

glenngiant said:

The ref thing holds no water as the league have already set a precedent of undermiming a ref (in the voth case Matt Thompson) by saying that he was wrong to just give a game.

And yes any call can be given to the league by the coaches weather it was called or not. as i say the league dug thmselves a neat little hole in the first two weeks of the season, and i as a Devils fan want to see them have to enforce it to show themselves how ridiculous they have been.

steve

This is why official figures should 'KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT', otherwise some sad git will always dredge up something from your past you wish you hadn't said!!!

I have decided to bite my tongue and not write about the violence and lack of respect that seems to be a part of the new “entertainment” that some teams are trying to provide. I will say that I hope that it doesn’t take a serious injury before something is done about it….
Steve Thornton, 15th Sept 2008.

http://www.belfastgiants.com/blogs/coaches-corner/

I don't wish Steve any ill, and hope his ban is reasonable, but after what Kelman said about Voth before his initial hearing, i couldn't let the Giants off for this! ;)

steve said:
This is why official figures should 'KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT', otherwise some sad git will always dredge up something from your past you wish you hadn't said!!!

I have decided to bite my tongue and not write about the violence and lack of respect that seems to be a part of the new “entertainment” that some teams are trying to provide. I will say that I hope that it doesn’t take a serious injury before something is done about it….
Steve Thornton, 15th Sept 2008.

http://www.belfastgiants.com/blogs/coaches-corner/

I don't wish Steve any ill, and hope his ban is reasonable, but after what Kelman said about Both before his initial hearing, i couldn't let the Giants off for this! ;)
After reading that article it just makes it seem that it was even more of an accident, i don't think Thornton would complain about lack of respect and then less than a week later go out to deliberately hurt someone.

Hope to hear something this week whatever the decision.

Gazza272

glenngiant said:
[

After reading that article it just makes it seem that it was even more of an accident, i don't think Thornton would complain about lack of respect and then less than a week later go out to deliberately hurt someone.

Hope to hear something this week whatever the decision.

I dont think Steve Thornton is the type of player to go out and hurt someone with his stick, we here in cardiff were lucky enough to see him in his prime and in that time i dont think i personally ever saw him throw a punch even!

but the stark reality is that his stick made contact with a players head, due to his actions. I think thornton had a lapse in concentration and he threw a punch at payette and afterwards realised he had a stick in that hadn, that is what it looks like to me.

He has to be given some sort of ban though and enkeeping with the tariffs dished out 6 at a minimum is what the league must dish out.