Two imports due to be announced this week

Rempel16

Thread starter #61
osh said:
Finny said:
osh said:
I am seriously worried that if Towe has left ( nothing official yet ?? I may have missed any announcement) we are a decent standard Brit short.
But with the import numbers going up could Towe's spot be taken by an import?

Yeh for sure, but it looks like other teams are keeping at least 4/5 high standard Brits and at the moment we aren't. I would like to hear that Ben has definately signed and have a rething if that is announced, if he doesn't sign, I'm a little worried.
But then, how many of those higher standard Brits are going to get regular ice time?

Nottingham - Clarke, Meyers, Levers, Lee
Sheffield - Phillips, Tait, Dowd
Belfast - Murphy, Shields, Peacock

Us - Lyle, Richardson, Hill

If and when Davies is signed up then the rest of our Brit contingent would be on very limited ice time.

osh

Rempel16 said:
[
But then, how many of those higher standard Brits are going to get regular ice time?

If and when Davies is signed up then the rest of our Brit contingent would be on very limited ice time.

You say if and when Davies signs, so you possibly know more about the situation than I do. I'm merely saying he hasn't signed yet, and that worries me. Every side will have 4 Brits getting regular ice time (some will have 5) just like we did last season. Without Towe, we need another player of similar quality, if Ben doesn't sign, we will need to find someone who will be able to get as much ice time as Towe, and yes you are right, the rest of our Brits will be on limited ice time and that may encourage them to look elsewhere.

Rempel16

Thread starter #63
osh said:
Rempel16 said:
[

You say if and when Davies signs, so you possibly know more about the situation than I do. I'm merely saying he hasn't signed yet, and that worries me. Every side will have 4 Brits getting regular ice time (some will have 5) just like we did last season. Without Towe, we need another player of similar quality, if Ben doesn't sign, we will need to find someone who will be able to get as much ice time as Towe, and yes you are right, the rest of our Brits will be on limited ice time and that may encourage them to look elsewhere.
Sorry if I have given you that impression. I have absolutely no idea what the situation with Ben is.

Ok, so let's assume that Ben is nowhere near to signing. Who would you go for of the remaining Brits available? (To play in the 9 forwards)

osh

Rempel 16; Well I don't know who is available, but someone like Matt Myers would do for me, but I'd settle for anyone as good or better than Towe (if he's going) if not, then Towe will do a job.

DevilDom

As stated on the signings for other teams thread - Belfast have signed another quality Brit in Garside.

I think this highlights the need for us to secure at least another quality Brit (in addition to Ben Davies) if we want to seriously challenge for honours next year.

Rempel16

Thread starter #66
osh said:
Rempel 16; Well I don't know who is available, but someone like Matt Myers would do for me, but I'd settle for anyone as good or better than Towe (if he's going) if not, then Towe will do a job.
Matt Myers is someone I would love to see too. I think approaching him would depend on the makeup of our team in terms of centres and wingers (which i guess is what G referred to initially)

If, hypothetically, we were to sign Myers, we would be looking at 2 centre spots filled.
Now if we were to sign Tylor (a natural centre) as well, we would have three very similar players there and for me, we don't have room for all three (unless Tylor signs as a winger).

For my preference I would be looking at taking a punt on Adam Walker or maybe even Shaun Thompson (he always impressed me for Basingstoke) although it didn't work out for Thompson in Hull last year.

kettdevil1 said:
maccab5 said:
Martin Clarkson is back in cardiff and looking for a team so i would say a substantial upgrade in backup if we do bring him in.
Definitely, although surely he would be looking for an EPL starting role? Being an EIHL back up wouldn't help his career one bit.
He needs somewhere close by though as he'll be studying in Cardiff.

Gazza272

Rempel16 said:
Gazza272 said:
Rempel16 said:
Tylor (a natural centre) a.

He is?

I cant remember him being tried at centre a lot last season? And the times he did he seemed a little lost.
I know he played on the wing for most of the season but i thought he signed as a centre.

mmmm My recollection was as a winger, as by the time he signed we already had Smith, Latuillipe and Towe. Could be wrong though :)

ASHIPP

Nitra said:
rocketbob said:
or Tylor and Miller signing on for another year................I hope.
Miller has said on Facebook that he has not heard a word from anyone at the team about next season :(
This seems to contradict what G was quoted as saying a few weeks ago - that he had actually spoken to EVERY player individually before they broke up for the Summer. Would have hoped that was the opportunity to at least have a discussion about players' intentions for next year/whether they want to consider re-signing etc. :?

Surely it's a no-brainer for Killer to sign for next season. Perhaps the discussion took place and Matt has decided to take time out to consider......or perhaps it's is all a hoax!!!! :shock:

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
Surely it's a no-brainer for Killer to sign for next season. Perhaps the discussion took place and Matt has decided to take time out to consider......or perhaps it's is all a hoax!!!! :shock:

I'm not so sure it's a no brainer.

He could be a spark plug and he could energise the team, but i felt all to often he would do it when others did it before him.

Bar the game against Newcastle where Miller exploded in the third period i dont think he took the initiative enough. I also felt he had a poor period just before his parents came to visit, and had another poor period when they left.

Now i'm not saying i wouldnt like Miller back, i most definitely would. But i also dont think he should be a maximum priority signing as i think at times he could be labelled with the same inconsistent tag that Birbraer has been labelled with.

ASHIPP

I do get your points, Gazza, about inconsistency but Matt did deliver on energy, enthusiasm and grit every game...and very often pulled something out of the bag when no-one else could in games where the Devils would have lost. Not sure that honestly be said about Max (enthusiam, grit every game?) who along with Smithy were signed (and probably paid) to be the top points accumulators for the Devils last season. At one point, Matt was the top scorer for the Club. It would be good to see him amongst the returnees from last season. :cool:

Rempel16

Thread starter #74
Gazza, you could well be right about Tylor. Trying to cast my mind back and i'm convinced he played as centre in the first games against Newcastle and also the game against Hull where Knight jumped him. I want to find out now!!!!

Agreed about Miller too Gazza, delighted if he does come back, if he doesn't then 'meh'

Gazza272

ASHIPP said:
I do get your points, Gazza, about inconsistency but Matt did deliver on energy, enthusiasm and grit every game...and very often pulled something out of the bag when no-one else could in games where the Devils would have lost. Not sure that honestly be said about Max (enthusiam, grit every game?) who along with Smithy were signed (and probably paid) to be the top points accumulators for the Devils last season. At one point, Matt was the top scorer for the Club. It would be good to see him amongst the returnees from last season. :cool:

I guess thats where we disagree, i dont think Miller brought those things every game when i know he could have done.

The prime example i will always use for Miller is the challenge cup final first leg, he had been running goalies all over the shop in the weeks prior to that game. He didnt get near St Pierre once in that game and his influence on it was zero. I'm convinced we could have had a different result had Miller (and others i'll grant you) Stepped up and played the game they had played.

But as i say if he does re sign i will be very happy to welcome him back. But i feel a lot of his poor performances have been easily forgotten due to a handful of game breaking performances over the course of the season.

ASHIPP

Gazza272 said:
I guess thats where we disagree, i dont think Miller brought those things every game when i know he could have done.

The prime example i will always use for Miller is the challenge cup final first leg, he had been running goalies all over the shop in the weeks prior to that game. He didnt get near St Pierre once in that game and his influence on it was zero. I'm convinced we could have had a different result had Miller (and others i'll grant you) Stepped up and played the game they had played.

But as i say if he does re sign i will be very happy to welcome him back. But i feel a lot of his poor performances have been easily forgotten due to a handful of game breaking performances over the course of the season.
Sometimes Miller was targeted by defence units because they knew, that when on his game, he was unpredictable and explosive, often slicing through several chasing opposition players to get the puck to the net. The run on goalies is an unnerving style of play (can't recall many teams using it last year?) - anticipating Miller would go for that, any decent defence unit is going to try to squeeze him out. He is a passionate player and looks like he takes it personally - at times you could see that frustration which possibly unsettled him more. :?

Anyway, I think you are right - the organisation at the moment seems focused on the new players joining, whether it be the uni deals or another top-liner. Exciting times. Can't wait to see who! :cool:

Todays article says they have only been verbally agreed and nothing will announced until it is on paper, i think terry was jumping the gun a bit when he said they would be announced this week.

It also says we are in talks with michel and he would like to come back next season :D fingers crossed.

Finny

Gaz G said:
does anyone actually know when these signings are going to be announced? Im getting rather impatient
I think it was mentioned on here that they were still in the playoffs with their current team(s). In which case it would be wrong for the club to announce their signing whilst they were still playing for something.

Ger-Devils

If it's the player that has been mentioned, they could be announced as soon as Sat morning or Monday.

The 3rd game was last night and their 4th game of the final in the playoff is tomorrow night