Two imports due to be announced this week

ASHIPP

With a number of Brits leaving EIHL level to play in EPL, Brits will be at a premium in the league and there is the chance that remaining players will be made offers from other clubs at both levels. Would hope G has anticipated this - and hopefully, our youngsters have been made offers by the Devils but they have not been announced. :?

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
The problem I see with that Finny is that it may take some time to sign the import players needed and that doesn't leave sufficient time to recruit the British players of the standard needed for the EIHL as they will more than likely be signed to play elsewhere. I would prefer to get in 2 more good quality Brits and buils from there.
It wasn't my decision........... :?

Well obviously it wasn't your decision Finny, just thought you may have had an opinion on the above that's all.

osh

Rempel16 said:
How many more Brits do we actuallly need though?

A back up nettie.
A 10th forward. (Assuming that Ben is signed and they are waiting to confirm)
A 6th d-man.

I wouldn't have thought we'd be looking at any of the expensive quality Brits for those positions and I would probably guess at what we had, Crisp, Symonds and Hayes.
Well Ben isn't a confirmed signing yet, and if Towe has gone and Ben doesn't sign, we are left with a weaker British contingent than last season ( and that's assuming Crisp, Symonds and Hayes sign)

ASHIPP

osh said:
Rempel16 said:

A back up nettie.
A 6th d-man.

I wouldn't have thought we'd be looking at any of the expensive quality Brits for those positions and I would probably guess at what we had, Crisp, Symonds and Hayes.
Well Ben isn't a confirmed signing yet, and if Towe has gone and Ben doesn't sign, we are left with a weaker British contingent than last season ( and that's assuming Crisp, Symonds and Hayes sign)
Osh - do you think it's possible there may be Brit signings outside the names that have been mentioned?
Just hope that it's not left too long before it's simply because some clubs appear to have already got the issue covered. :? Optimistic the club already anticipate this situation. :cool:

Rempel16

Thread starter #45
osh said:
Rempel16 said:

A back up nettie.
A 6th d-man.

Very true, I was just working on the assumption that both Ben and the club expect Ben to sign.

Personally though, I think as far as Symonds and Hayes are concerned I think we are safe from Elite clubs. That is no disrespect to either, as both are learning their trade and will be decent Brits in a couple of years. However, whilst not being at that point YET I can't see that Braehead, Dundee, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Hull will come this far South and pay to relocate these players when they could pretty much develop their own for pennies who won't be far off a similar standard (if less at all).

Nottingham seemed to have filled their Brits now, Sheffield are pretty much done and Coventry won't see either (imo) as pieces to their defence of a championship.

That leaves EPL/ENL. I would've thought that both could pick up a roster spot on EPL teams, although the knock on effect of EIHLers moving that direction would make spots that bit tougher to achieve. By this, I mean Manhester are looking for one less Brit now that they have Dean Holland, Guildford are looking at one less with Longstaff and maybe two if they are the team that Ben Campbell has signed for.

So, if it's ENL they look at they would probably see Cardiff as their best bet anyhow.

Rempel16

Thread starter #46
ASHIPP said:
osh said:
Rempel16 said:

A back up nettie.
A 6th d-man.

Osh - do you think it's possible there may be Brit signings outside the names that have been mentioned?
Just hope that it's not left too long before it's simply because some clubs appear to have already got the issue covered. :? Optimistic the club already anticipate this situation. :cool:
Sorry, I know i'm not Osh. In fairness we aren't a million miles away anyway. We have already signed up three premier Brits and we are effectively looking for a replacement for Towe, if he does leave. The rest of the spots would be stop-gaps and developmental stops really.

osh

Rempel16; You raise valid points and I agree with a lot of what you say. However, as you say, we have signed 3 premier Brits, very true, but we had them last year, and now losing Towe we need another Brit of that quality or better. As I have said, if Ben doesn't sign and the other 3 Brits decide to step down a level to get regular ice time, we may suffer in the Brit department. I think Ben will sign plus the other 3 as well, but until it's announced we are left to guess.

ASHIPP

The key issue is the Davies/Towe situation - although it is still important to ensure another Brit in defence, 11th forward and back-up nettie as it this appears to be the 'norm' for most teams.
The point about EIHL teams paying to relocate players is very valid when most teams have players from next level affliate teams they could sign. There is definitely a strong ethos of nuturing local guys at the Devils so let's hope it's a simple case of re-signing those contracts - all good future prospects. :cool:

I would suggest that you don't take it for granted about Symonds & Hayes both have played for sometime in the EPL learning there trade and have reasonable rep's as far as that league is concerned, if teams know they are available I am sure offers would be made and then we would lose out

And further to the last there is no Towe situation both Davies & Hayes could easily take that slot if given the ice time and the chance to prove it, if anything Davies needs a year in the EPL with a 44 game season the same as Symonds & Hayes have already done. I would sign Hayes, Davies & Symonds and consider Loans to EPL thereby keeping assets and allowing other teams to develop them.
Something the NHL seem to do and the Premiership

ASHIPP

icebear said:
I would suggest that you don't take it for granted about Symonds & Hayes quote]
icebear said:
That's precisely what I'm NOT doing! :roll: Most of us are well aware that both Alex and Jamie have had solid experience at EPL level. That's why I suggested earlier that there is every chance that those EIHL Brits who have not been announced as signed yet by any team are very likely to get offers from teams at both levels but hopefully, the club will have acted on this. And yes, it would be a loss to the squad.

osh

ASHIPP; Sorry, just noticed your question to me. The club may very well have the Brit situation covered, but because nothing has beem announced, we can only speculate as to what will happen.
I am seriously worried that if Towe has left ( nothing official yet ?? I may have missed any announcement) we are a decent standard Brit short. We then have the situation regarding Ben. Does he want to sign and spend the majority of the season on the bench ( unless he receives a guarantee that he is Towe's replacement) hence why nothing has been announced on that one yet. As for our remaining Brits, will they be content in making up the numbers or will they see their immediate future in another league where they get plenty of ice time and progress accordingly? Perhaps someone with more info could post how many of the current GB team for instance have signed for clubs next season ( gives me an idea who is left) :)

kettdevil1

maccab5 said:
Martin Clarkson is back in cardiff and looking for a team so i would say a substantial upgrade in backup if we do bring him in.
Definitely, although surely he would be looking for an EPL starting role? Being an EIHL back up wouldn't help his career one bit.

Finny

osh said:
I am seriously worried that if Towe has left ( nothing official yet ?? I may have missed any announcement) we are a decent standard Brit short.
But with the import numbers going up could Towe's spot be taken by an import?

DevilDom

Nitra said:
rocketbob said:
or Tylor and Miller signing on for another year................I hope.
Miller has said on Facebook that he has not heard a word from anyone at the team about next season :(
Thats not good news IMO. We need the younger hungrier imports with something to prove rather than the guys looking for a holiday at the end of their careers.

Miller may have made some mistakes last year, but he is definitely only going to get better and wiser.

osh

Finny said:
osh said:
I am seriously worried that if Towe has left ( nothing official yet ?? I may have missed any announcement) we are a decent standard Brit short.

Yeh for sure, but it looks like other teams are keeping at least 4/5 high standard Brits and at the moment we aren't. I would like to hear that Ben has definately signed and have a rething if that is announced, if he doesn't sign, I'm a little worried.

osh said:
Finny said:
osh said:

Yeh for sure, but it looks like other teams are keeping at least 4/5 high standard Brits and at the moment we aren't. I would like to hear that Ben has definately signed and have a rething if that is announced, if he doesn't sign, I'm a little worried.
It's pretty clear that we will at some point need (at least) to sign a 3rd line Brit to complete our roster. Hopefully we will sign Davies because in my opinion he would be a major upgrade on Towe (if given enough ice time). However, if Davies doesn't sign then I'll start to worry like you as the number of Brits available is quickly diminishing.

rocketbob

DevilDom said:
Nitra said:
rocketbob said:
or Tylor and Miller signing on for another year................I hope.
Miller has said on Facebook that he has not heard a word from anyone at the team about next season :(
Thats not good news IMO. We need the younger hungrier imports with something to prove rather than the guys looking for a holiday at the end of their careers.

Miller may have made some mistakes last year, but he is definitely only going to get better and wiser.
The only reasons I can see for not bringing Miller back (hypothetically) would be a) he wants too much money and/or b) G thinks he takes too many silly penalties.

He is a really good player for us and the kind of larger than life character that we are going to need in the post-Voth era.