Tougher covid restrictions - risk to hockey?

Kevlar68

No food or drink in arena is a great idea BUT the bar area isn't that big and you'd have to limit numbers as everyone drinking would be without masks. Can you imagine the Chaos at period break even if a sixth of the arena try to get in bar. It would be carnage.

rolf

I live in Ukraine now and due to war in the southeast of the country, Zorya Luhansk play their football in exile in my city. Not ideal for their fanbase but the club still exists and plays uefa conference league too

rocketbob

those analysing the South Africa data are expecting 1 million positive tests a day in the UK by January. It is looking like it may be a bumpy ride for the next few weeks.

Kevlar68

I think they need to study how lethal the virus is. We could have millions of cases but it may not be as serious as first variant or delta variant.
The flu has gone through many different variants with some more deadly than others but we live with it now and it still claims lives.

rocketbob

I think they need to study how lethal the virus is. We could have millions of cases but it may not be as serious as first variant or delta variant.
The flu has gone through many different variants with some more deadly than others but we live with it now and it still claims lives.
The jury is very much still out about the deadliness of omicron as there is quite a high level of natural immunity in South Africa (due to Delta hitting them hard) and a the fact that they have a much younger population, so it is hard to extrapolate to the UK. It may be that South Africa is a "best case scenario" and other countries/populations with different levels or types of immunity may see worse effects. It is definitely not proven that omicron is going to be milder in all conditions but fingers crossed that this does become the case.

Swarley

No food or drink in arena is a great idea BUT the bar area isn't that big and you'd have to limit numbers as everyone drinking would be without masks. Can you imagine the Chaos at period break even if a sixth of the arena try to get in bar. It would be carnage.
Stick em outside where the smokers are?

moggy#9

But the death rate isn't the only metric here.

rocketbob

Hopefully the new Pfizer antiviral drug will be authorised soon and the risk of death will be reduced further. This is looking to be very effective in clinically vulnerable patients. But as Moggy says, death rates are not the only metric. Hospital bed occupancy by Covid patients is also key (amongst other things).

rolf

Hopefully the new Pfizer antiviral drug will be authorised soon and the risk of death will be reduced further. This is looking to be very effective in clinically vulnerable patients. But as Moggy says, death rates are not the only metric. Hospital bed occupancy by Covid patients is also key (amongst other things).

Everybody is just pissing in the wind and hoping I am afraid,. I am fully jabbed but my daughter who is a medical professional is dead against it. Where to go? Her argument is the ratio of death per vaccination is far higher than many other scrapped vaccinations historically. She is almost 30(and with maybe further child ambitions) and I am 62 but for her thalidomide and other miracle cures sound loud in her head. Who knows the answer but there are many kids still waiting for an apology from the government that sanctioned the use of the drug. How many of us here trust Boris? Not an anti vaccer but just one of the many who trust, believe, do not know and then possibly get fucked over.....

PS I do love my hockey. Got the tattoo and seriously disappointed that an ex soviet state has a lesser hockey presence than we have now....