Tonights games

Well that was great to watch. I certainly think we could do with a bit more of that from time to time in the league. :D

However, whoever placed Darnell in charge of that match must be held accountable in the same way that players, referees and coaches are. Darnell does a decent job in the smaller games, but does have a habit of losing control of physical games with a lot of needle.

Aside from what has already been said - a blindside hit/punch from Meyers on Jaeger - presumably Meyers is looking at a minimum of 2 a game ban (as Sawyer got) and review for this one?

Crazy results last night. I try explaining to non-hockey friends about the game and they can't believe that a team (Hull) can lose 12-0 one week, then beat top of the league, the beat 3rd placed team 7-2!? And there seems to be examples of that pretty much every week. What a crazy sport.

As for the bench clearance - just watched it on youtube - that was nuts! Not that I want to see Devils get a load of game / match penatlies, but when was the last time anything like that happened in a Devils game because I've never seen it in the 3 years I've been watching? Hull beginning of last season maybe with Voth fighting behind the bench (I missed that game :( ). THink I seen one against the Steelers as well but nothing like the one last night.

James

Administrator
I suspect there will be revisions and changes to the penalties post game from the Elite League Ivory Towers.

(If we can generate 7 pages Im almost scared to see how long the thread on THF is :) )

drainage said:
Am interested in the aftermath of this - we have been party to the EIHL tough stance more than once and if anything is screaming out for the tough approach its that game. Some of those players are absolute idiots and deserve something for over use of gross stupidity if nothing else
The EIHL have had a tough stance on bad hits and slashes but can't remember any big penalties when two willing combatants have fought. The fact Jaeger and Lepine's bans have already been overturned suggests the league will probably just overlook it and ban Penner and Cruickshank and be done with it. And they are probably right. There was a lot of grappling and slugging but nothing really which was bigger than a game penalty IMHO apart from to Cruickshank and Penner.

Gazza272

J.B said:
drainage said:
Am interested in the aftermath of this - we have been party to the EIHL tough stance more than once and if anything is screaming out for the tough approach its that game. Some of those players are absolute idiots and deserve something for over use of gross stupidity if nothing else
The EIHL have had a tough stance on bad hits and slashes but can't remember any big penalties when two willing combatants have fought. The fact Jaeger and Lepine's bans have already been overturned suggests the league will probably just overlook it and ban Penner and Cruickshank and be done with it. And they are probably right. There was a lot of grappling and slugging but nothing really which was bigger than a game penalty IMHO apart from to Cruickshank and Penner.

Danny meyers blind side hit on Jaegar? (if that isnt a sucker punch/hit i dont know what is!)

Neilson being third man in on the Zanon issue? he took out a linesman as well!

Other than that I think your about right.

I'd love to see them both banned but Meyers pretty much just skated into Brett and pushed him and Neilson was essentially 3rd man in, OK he jumped over the Lino but both are game penalties maximum .

steve

I'm going to disagree with a few of you. I can't condone Cruikshank running Kowalski in that way, regardless how many times Jaegr had been hit before. We all know goalies get run from time to time, but not a premeditated assault like that (words chosen carefully). And i would say the same thing if Voth did it.

We don't have backups, if a player willfully tries to injure a starting nettie, i think a sizeable ban is in order. How Meyers didn't get thrown out is beyone me.

I love a good scrap as much as anyone but people like Cruickshank are a liabililty and will cause serious injury sooner or later.

Gazza272

J.B said:
I'd love to see them both banned but Meyers pretty much just skated into Brett and pushed him and Neilson was essentially 3rd man in, OK he jumped over the Lino but both are game penalties maximum .

Jaegar didnt see Meyers coming. if the EIHL are to be anyway consistent thats a 2 game ban as per Justin Sawyers ban earlier in the year.

Wannabe2

Surely the full outcome wont be known until the league has reviewed the tape, then they will probably award the game to Nottingham, and name Penner as the leagues MVP.

Martynwo

This is where we see if the Elite discplinary committee, French and Kirkham, will have the b*lls to proceded with the enquiry and dish out the relavent bans necessary that will effect 2 owners that own 40% of the league between them.
Lets not hold our breath eh?

Wannabe2 said:
Surely the full outcome wont be known until the league has reviewed the tape, then they will probably award the game to Nottingham, and name Penner as the leagues MVP.
Surely they will let them bring in Tim Thomas to untilk K-wall if fit again?

Wannabe2

TheStub said:
Thomas isn't good enough. Unfortunately Marty is out injured... maybe Jesus Price?
He will need to perform a few miracles to keep the Panthers in the hunt for the title, think he has more chance of feeding 5000 people with 3 fishes and 4 loafs of bread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finny

At first I couldn't believe the EIHL had rescinded two of the suspensions - but after watching the video and checking the rulebook - I think they have got that right. Referee didn't seem to know the rules and gave them match penalties when it should have been just game.

Additional suspensions.

Penner and Cruickshank - both already have 2 game bans due to the match penalties. I'd give them each an additional 2 match ban, but whatever it is they deserve the same.

Meyers - 1 match ban for the hit on Jaeger. Maybe even 2.
Neilsson - 1 match ban for being 3rd man in without punishment and nailing the linesman.
Zanon - 1 match ban for the abuse towards the linesman.

kettdevil1

Finny said:
At first I couldn't believe the EIHL had rescinded two of the suspensions - but after watching the video and checking the rulebook - I think they have got that right. Referee didn't seem to know the rules and gave them match penalties when it should have been just game.

Additional suspensions.

Penner and Cruickshank - both already have 2 game bans due to the match penalties. I'd give them each an additional 2 match ban, but whatever it is they deserve the same.

Meyers - 1 match ban for the hit on Jaeger. Maybe even 2.
Neilsson - 1 match ban for being 3rd man in without punishment and nailing the linesman.
Zanon - 1 match ban for the abuse towards the linesman.
Sounds about right although given Penner and Shanker both have "previous" I wouldn't be surprised if they were given 4 total with 4 more suspended for the rest of the season.

Meyers should get a ban but given his lack of previous form he might get away from it.

My gut feeling is that Coach Corey and Zanon will both get a game.

ASHIPP

:shock: Makes Matt Miller (goalie rush expert) look like an amateur! :lol:

Rest assured G and the Devils will be prepared for silly behaviour like this against these 2 teams ......and the fact that Campbell was penalised for 'spearing' in one of Steelers games over the weekend. :twisted: Pants weekend for all 3 teams - that's what happens when they lose their discipline.

I know it's a naive comment, but are the Devils, Giants, Capitals and Stingrays the only teams playing hockey these days? :roll:

Skippy

"Two penalties from the match between Coventry Blaze and Nottingham Panthers on Saturday 4th December 2010 have been downgraded.

Following a review of the game tape by the referee, Nottingham Panthers defenceman Guy Lepine’s match penalty has rescinded, but his five-minute fighting major will still stand.

Coventry Blaze netminder Brett Jaeger’s match penalty has been reduced to two minutes for crossing the centre line (under rule 591) and a game misconduct for roughing – an altercation with a player off-ice (rule 528).

Both Lepine and Jaeger are now available to play in Sunday's Elite League matches.

All other penalties handed out on the night remain unaltered, but the Elite League disciplinary committee will review the game tape with regard to supplementary discipline."

http://www.eliteleague.co.uk/disciplina ... on-p167924