Summit Sunday 2023 - Dedicated thread

Ocko

Given his age and how good he is, he'd be a massive asset for GB. Bowns' technical issues keep getting found out at that level, and there's a real shortage of top class British bred goalies.
I agree with it obviously being a good thing having more GB qualified netminders.

But, you’re being incredibly hard on Bowns there. He’s put in some unbelievable performances for GB and posted some really good stats - in 1A he’s usually the best NM in the group. I’m sure we can forgive him for falling slightly below the 90% mark when playing against Canada, USA, etc.

Interested to know what technical issues he has too?

moggy#9

Well the first thing to say is that I've not said bowns is a bad goalie. I have said though that I don't think he's in the top tier of goalies in the league anymore. In fact I don't think he's the goalie he was when he departed for Austria.

I'm terms of his issues, the first is his puck handling. He's never looked ready to make a long pass to catch opponents on a line change for instance.

My real concerns come from his positioning and technique in front of his net.

Bowns'has always been a reaction goalie. Those reactions will inevitably slow as time goes on. As a result of that, last season, we saw him moving off his post early in anticipation of a cross ice pass. This left a gap one the short side. This brings us into his lateral movement, which is sometimes uncontrolled, resulting in him being out of position. I believe this is a big reason why he looks spectacular - because he's forced into last gasp saves. Of course, part of this is also down to rebound control issues.

I'm sure that someone who has played in goal could offer some insights, but that's the way I see it.

If course, none of those is to say that he can't play very well at times. What I am saying is that over the course of the season against good opposition, these issues will be exposed both for the devils and for GB.

(Oh, and I'm on record as having said very similar things in the past.)

Kevlar68

I know allot mention "Well Bowns is GB No.1" but it is slim pickings in the GB pool to be honest and he is the best of the GB goalies but that doesn't mean that he's the best in the league or the best we could have.
He can definitely do a job for us but nowhere near the job he was doing for us before he left for Europe.

Liking the look of the team at the moment, the ages of new signings seem to show we may be building a team for future years to grow as a team, i hope this is the case.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t surprise me if the days of a Number 1 goalie and a back up goalie in teams in the UK Elite league are coming to an end, if they haven’t already arrived. Competition for the starting slot will keep both goalies on their toes. From what I know of Pete Russell, he will will have positioned how he plans to deal with arguably the most key part of the line up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben and Callum each got about 30-35 games each during the season - league and in all the various competitions. This will enable both players to both prepare well and recover well between games when they are starting. it is a very tough position for those that have never donned the equipment and the league has not really managed the number of instances where goalies get run during games - the Devils need good goalies and I believe they have two great British Goalies.

Good goalies can keep you in games, Great goalies can win you games.

lloyd_jeff

If Bowns wasn’t British he wouldn’t be in a National side, he’d probably struggle to get a contract at a Scottish club. He certainly doesn’t fulfil the owners comments regarding having 2 solid goaltenders. I’m living in the moment, looking forward, not past achievements.

I think a dual national has to play two years in the league to qualify as Halbert and Sam Ruopp did.
I don’t think playing in junior competitions affect this but I’m not 100%.
As his mum was born in Wales , makes him as British as most, thought the duel national rule comes when there is no direct British link but played in a certain country for x amount of years

If Bowns wasn’t British he wouldn’t be in a National side, he’d probably struggle to get a contract at a Scottish club. He certainly doesn’t fulfil the owners comments regarding having 2 solid goaltenders. I’m living in the moment, looking forward, not past achievements.
He will definitely be feeling the pressure with this guy about, can’t wait for the battle

Last edited:

Devils86

Bowns is a difficult one. If he is on form and at the top of his game he is a championship winning level NM. I know we are measuring our roster against the Giants but every other side (apart from Giants) would probably take Ben as their starting NM this season. Besko is another level of course.

Sure Ben has probably tailed off since his pre-Covid days, that comes with age and the injuries he had. BUT (whether its rose tinted specs or something) I still believe that Ben can have a great season. But the pressure is on now, big time. Looking back through old highlights on YouTube he was always capable of letting a soft one in, even at his best times. He now needs to be a bit more solid and less flashy maybe. I'd expect at 50/50 or 60/40 split this season, primarily because Booth hasn't played a 30 game season in how long? Happy that Booth will take over as Devils and GB #1 NM next season (or whenever he qualifies for GB)

NM are confidence players and whatever we think on here they will both need all the Devils fans in the building behind them.

Finny

It wouldn’t surprise me if the days of a Number 1 goalie and a back up goalie in teams in the UK Elite league are coming to an end, if they haven’t already arrived. Competition for the starting slot will keep both goalies on their toes. From what I know of Pete Russell, he will will have positioned how he plans to deal with arguably the most key part of the line up.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ben and Callum each got about 30-35 games each during the season - league and in all the various competitions. This will enable both players to both prepare well and recover well between games when they are starting. it is a very tough position for those that have never donned the equipment and the league has not really managed the number of instances where goalies get run during games - the Devils need good goalies and I believe they have two great British Goalies.

Good goalies can keep you in games, Great goalies can win you games.
Agreed.

I‘m guessing we’ll start off the season with each netminder getting a game each weekend and an equal share of home and away. As the season wears on we might start to see one netminder playing better home/away or against a particular opponent which will affect who gets picked for certain games.

Booth hasn’t played over 30 games in a season since 2018-19 and I don’t think it’s fair to expect him to jump in and play 40+ games straight away.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I think it's time to lay off the guy. He is going to be playing for us whether you like it or not. The hierarchy obviously think he can do the job or they wouldn't have hired him.
They said that about Skalde, Dupont and the teams we’ve endured over the last 2 seasons.
As for laying off the guy, we’ve got hundreds, if not thousands of negative comments regarding players over many years on this site.

lloyd_jeff

Bowns is a difficult one. If he is on form and at the top of his game he is a championship winning level NM. I know we are measuring our roster against the Giants but every other side (apart from Giants) would probably take Ben as their starting NM this season. Besko is another level of course.

Sure Ben has probably tailed off since his pre-Covid days, that comes with age and the injuries he had. BUT (whether its rose tinted specs or something) I still believe that Ben can have a great season. But the pressure is on now, big time. Looking back through old highlights on YouTube he was always capable of letting a soft one in, even at his best times. He now needs to be a bit more solid and less flashy maybe. I'd expect at 50/50 or 60/40 split this season, primarily because Booth hasn't played a 30 game season in how long? Happy that Booth will take over as Devils and GB #1 NM next season (or whenever he qualifies for GB)

NM are confidence players and whatever we think on here they will both need all the Devils fans in the building behind them.
My main reservation is how much is Booth at the Devils because it gives him game time to develop for the GB roll. I know we have PR who is a coach we need, but l‘d hope he’s not using Devils as a GB training experiment. I hope both are capable to out perform, otherwise we’re screwed. GB isn’t top tier and frankly is irrelevant on the world stage, results aren't that important.

Totally agree with you Mooney. I look at Barrow at this stage of his career and think “Fingers crossed he’s good enough to be on a top line” compared to a Ully or an Arniel who are clearly top line signings at this level. Like you said he’s only played 30 odd league games as a professional for a team where there was no pressure to win.
I think some people miss the point when we are concerned about Barrow on a top line. It’s not like i don’t rate the signing, I actually really like everything I’ve read about him but for a team hoping to win the league he should be starting on the third line for me. You can always juggle the lines if he turns out to be as good as the coaches/owners think he is but there’s no way anybody can be 100% confident he’s the answer for that Ully, Arniel line because he’s so inexperienced. He also missed a large chunk of last season through injury. As I said the other day I’ve got absolutely no doubts Barrow would start the season on Belfasts third line and they’re the benchmark.
I would imagine, aside from the 30 games pro that Barrow has played he has been well scouted in a way of what his strengths and weaknesses are and how he could best fit into a certain lineup of ours. Obviously he would have been scouted on those pro games and we have seen what he looks to be as a player but I think they would have done more extensive scouting especially given his injury early on in his pro career. If we trust our scouts, coaches, management team and owners then I think we SHOULD be in for a gem of a signing, otherwise why take the risk of a player new to the professional game who has been injured almost immediately. I think we will be alright with this one and I think he will go on to achieve good things, however, I would also like to think that he is being closely watched and knows he has to fully compete day in day out because of the potential egg on the face signing. Fingers crossed he IS as good as our owners and management think and/or makes big steps going forward. Very excited by this lot that's for sure.

Last edited:
My main reservation is how much is Booth at the Devils because it gives him game time to develop for the GB roll. I know we have PR who is a coach we need, but l‘d hope he’s not using Devils as a GB training experiment. I hope both are capable to out perform, otherwise we’re screwed. GB isn’t top tier and frankly is irrelevant on the world stage, results aren't that important.
Ummmmm actually GB is top tier and now once again relevant in the world of international ice hockey championships and that is down to the hard work of the players and out vary own coaches. And what do you mean by hopefully both Booth and PR are capable to out perform? PR for one has shown on the world and domestic levels that he can perform and Booth clearly has the stats and pedigree to show he can also perform if called upon. Don't think either need to try and out perform just think they need to do what they can do and perform to the best of their own abilities.

Oh and as for the "Results aren't that important" comment, surely, please tell me that was a joke. If not then don't criticise any team in the future if they lose a game or applaud a team for winning a championship/Gold Medal game if you genuinely believe that results aren't important.

I would imagine, aside from the 30 games pro that Barrow has played he has been well scouted in a way of what his strengths and weaknesses are and how he could best fit into a certain lineup of ours. Obviously he would have been scouted on those pro games and we have seen what he looks to be as a player but I think they would have done more extensive scouting especially given his injury early on in his pro career. If we trust our scouts, coaches, management team and owners then I think we SHOULD be in for a gem of a signing, otherwise why take the risk of a player new to the professional game who has been injured almost immediately. I think we will be alright with this one and I think he will go on to achieve good things, however, I would also like to think that he is being closely watched and knows he has to fully compete day in day out because of the potential egg on the face signing. Fingers crossed he IS as good as out owners and management think and/or makes big steps going forward. Very excited by this lot that's for sure.
He played through a very good university program with Steve Kings son and I believe won a championship there too so I’m pretty sure they will know what he’s all about

Devils86

Could not care less if it's some trial for GB as long as the guy is good enough. If he's as good as we hope he is he'll likely be with us long enough so he can play for GB and then be off to Europe again. Whilst he's here his job is to win trophies not be our NM for the next 10 years

Devils86

I have been trying to work out who plays where on the D.

Dongahey, being a right handed shot, is likely to be a right-pairing D-man.

So unless he is 2nd D-pairing with Richie on the 3rd pairing that might mean that Crawford isn't coming back...
Thus far we have (I have put them on the side they shoot):

TBC - Richardson
Rymsha - Donaghey
Batch- TBC

Jardine is a left shooter so is a good fit with either Ritchie or an as yet unannounced Defensive D man.

Crawford is a righty, so would either pair with Batch (unlikely you would want Batch that high up, or Crawford that far down) or with Rymsha - which could work but then Donaghey moves to 1st/3rd line - which again has consequences for the rest of the D corps.

And that's not to even mention Mosey coming on D, or a spare that can play both, and Chad.

For the above reasons I think Donahey is the replacement for Crawford.

But, if we did resign both Crawford and Jardine it would be a talented D corp offense-wise. And would mean we had three almost equal lines, with Batch needing to step up a bit this season.