Summit Sunday 2023 - Dedicated thread

Finny

I can't see that donaghey is a 3rd line player. They suggested he'd be running the pp and they said he was essentially a Gleason Fourier alternative.
Agreed. I’d be shocked if he’s not our #1 Dman. Looks like he was the 3rd highest scoring Dman in the ECHL 5 years ago.

Slartibartfast

Looking at the points per game of last season, I have Barrow on the 2nd line.

We have 2 good first lines there and average points wise its an upgrade on last year.

I think we still have a third line winger to come. Im getting nervous that it may be Penny. Hope not.

1688934762533.png

On D I can't see Jardine coming back as his knee was pretty knackered last season.

I suspect it will be Crawford and Mosey. UK Ice Hockey Rumours twitter page has been right about all the others and have been saying for ages the Mosey is joining us.

Finny

The dream ticket now is 3 more import D and one more import winger. Ben Davies on the 4th. I don’t buy delaying announcing your third line winger so I’m calling poker on the Barrow to first line. If there is going to be a utility import I’d like to hope it’s Mosey with Crawford and another rock on D.

My ambition might out stretch my budget however but would have a damn good go at the league title.

Have faith with Ben D. His announcement deserves a spotlight!
Interesting thought on the poker comment. Something in the back of my head thinks we might have done something similar in the past?

Having said that I wouldn’t be shocked if he was pencilled in for that first line. He was on course for a 20 goal season before he got injured. And we haven’t that many wingers score 20+ goals in a season. There weren’t many complaints when we re-signed Crandall as our 1st line RW yet even in that first season he only scored 12 goals from a full league campaign. The same as Barrow from nearly half that. Maybe PR feels that line needs a bit of youth and physicality to compliment the other two.

Devils86

Didn't they say 5 more signings? It did I imagine it?
Having watched back, Neil Francis says they have a 'few' more signings to announce over the next few weeks. Right at the end of the Francis and Russell Pedalo section, which I hope will become a staple for summits of the future!

Kristoff

But let’s be honest we pretty much know what the lines are going to be to start the season. They obviously might change as the season goes on but Cox, Martin, Sanford will start the season together. Ully and Arniel will start together and Waller and Busch will start together. So with Steve King confirming tonight that he sees Barrow on the Ully, Arniel line it’s just a 3rd line RW by the looks of it.
Crandell

Finny

Out of interest do you think he will replace Crawford or Jardine?
I don’t know is the honest answer.

I felt last year that Jardine was being signed as our #1 D, but it was Crawford who ended up doing that job despite being less experienced.
I said at the end of last season I wouldn’t object to either Crawford or Jardine returning but wasn’t sure we had space for both if we wanted to improve.
You can make a good argument for either returning. Im assuming that Mosey will be on D, but if not then I guess there would be space for both.

And if Mosey is used as a F then Waller - Busch - Mosey is a very strong 3rd line.

OJLloyd2

I’m intrigued by the signings.

We know exactly what we’re getting with what I’m going to call our “first” line (but I think the top two will be interchangeable and will get similar ice time) of:

Cox - Martin - Sandford

I can then see a “second” line (based on comments) of:

Ully - Arniel - Barrow

More traditional third and fourth lines of:

Waller - Busch - AN Other
Brandt - Duggan - Davies (assuming)

As people have pointed out in various places, that right wing on the third line could be Barrow with another slotting in on the top line. It depends who comes in.

We don’t have enough announced D to really look at who goes with who.

Why I’m intrigued is there are some stats to get excited about, but so far there isn’t a Linglet/Hedden/Dixon type of experienced player where you can look at his past and see he played, and succeeded, at the top level. But I think the figures in the forwards could give us some really good scoring if everything works. If not, we could find ourselves short in terms of points compared to Belfast.

Interested to see if we go the Strachan/Morrisonn/Mikkelson route of a really top level experienced and responsible D man that I think we have been missing.

A Hotham/Fournier type to match such a D man would be my ideal, and if I’m being greedy a spare forward and D man (but someone who can do both can work).

Devil94

If Mosey is coming back, and it looks almost guaranteed that he is, then I would much prefer him as a forward. If he does he would slot in to that 3rd winger role, and playing with Waller that line would have serious wheels. And a bigger guy in Busch in the middle to make space and get them the puck, it could work well. That would leave 2 d men, I'm hoping Crawford is back. And if Jardine is not I would go for an old fashioned stay at home d man.

Obviously that does put Barrow in the top 6. He could be up to it, his start last year would suggest he could be, but we'll have to see him play first.

One thing that's a slight worry for me is that Ully and Barrow are coming back from significant injuries. Mosey is guaranteed to miss half a season too. Maybe getting Chad as a spare isn't a bad shout actually.

Rempel16

I have been trying to work out who plays where on the D.

Dongahey, being a right handed shot, is likely to be a right-pairing D-man.

So unless he is 2nd D-pairing with Richie on the 3rd pairing that might mean that Crawford isn't coming back...

Mooney#16

I think Devils are one signing away from being bang on the money but it is to compliment Arneil and Ully. I’m not knocking Barrow but he has only played 30 games of pro hockey and was paired with Ohrvall last season who went on a run so I’d love to see him on the third paired up with Waller and push him up a level. Devils simply didn’t score enough last season so another guy chipping in with decent numbers would probably put them at or near top of the goal scored column. Someone like Ohrvall even. Three lines of genuine offensive quality.

Defensively it’s still hard to read despite having four signed. Again though you have to be looking to lead the league in goals against.

jenks33

I think Devils are one signing away from being bang on the money but it is to compliment Arneil and Ully. I’m not knocking Barrow but he has only played 30 games of pro hockey and was paired with Ohrvall last season who went on a run so I’d love to see him on the third paired up with Waller and push him up a level. Devils simply didn’t score enough last season so another guy chipping in with decent numbers would probably put them at or near top of the goal scored column. Someone like Ohrvall even. Three lines of genuine offensive quality.

Defensively it’s still hard to read despite having four signed. Again though you have to be looking to lead the league in goals against.
Totally agree with you Mooney. I look at Barrow at this stage of his career and think “Fingers crossed he’s good enough to be on a top line” compared to a Ully or an Arniel who are clearly top line signings at this level. Like you said he’s only played 30 odd league games as a professional for a team where there was no pressure to win.
I think some people miss the point when we are concerned about Barrow on a top line. It’s not like i don’t rate the signing, I actually really like everything I’ve read about him but for a team hoping to win the league he should be starting on the third line for me. You can always juggle the lines if he turns out to be as good as the coaches/owners think he is but there’s no way anybody can be 100% confident he’s the answer for that Ully, Arniel line because he’s so inexperienced. He also missed a large chunk of last season through injury. As I said the other day I’ve got absolutely no doubts Barrow would start the season on Belfasts third line and they’re the benchmark.

Last edited:
Callum Booth
Is a dual national and it was mentioned that he could play for team GB.
Callum played for Canada in the U18 does he still need to wait 4 years before playing for GB??

moggy#9

I think a dual national has to play two years in the league to qualify as Halbert and Sam Ruopp did.
I don’t think playing in junior competitions affect this but I’m not 100%.
Given his age and how good he is, he'd be a massive asset for GB. Bowns' technical issues keep getting found out at that level, and there's a real shortage of top class British bred goalies.

Last edited: