steelers Vs Devils - League - 20th Feb 22

Devil94

Emotional double headers are very often split 1-1. Sheffield will definitely have another gear on Wednesday, but this Devils seem to play better and grab the game by the scruff when the opposition raise theirs. Will be interesting for sure.

Wannabe2

Got to say…. I’ve not always had the best of experiences with Sheffield fans when watching games away but tonight they were spot on. Think they know the league is wrapped up/believe they’ll win it. General feeling before the game was that they’d be happy to lose tonight but win the CC game which was my fear. I’d rather have lost tonight and win the CC game. They’ll be pumped for that game.

Can’t beat winning in Sheffield!!
No reason why we can’t win Wednesday as well now, hitting the metal work 3 times and conceeding the flukiest goal ever, won’t happen regularly. Play as we can and we will be fine but it has to be our A game.

E.D.S.

No reason why we can’t win Wednesday as well now, hitting the metal work 3 times and conceeding the flukiest goal ever, won’t happen regularly. Play as we can and we will be fine but it has to be our A game.
Fair shout that. Even when the light went on we had no idea what had happened or how it went in but you make your own luck. Steelers are good value for their league position and it makes me sick writing that.
Again… still think Crandall and Register are the ones to take this team places. They control everything. They play well, we play well. Yeah I know Register coughs up the occasional puck or three but he’s high risk and high reward.

This isn’t a negative but…. Duggan seems to be quiet lately. Not quite himself but on the plus side the others have stepped up, Brandt being one

Slartibartfast

The angle on the replays was great. I was amazed at how much room he left high to the stick side, presumably because he was going low for an expected deke. Then Cox's about gets his on the glove side. Looking at the nature of our two regulation time goals, I wonder if there was some scouting on brust's lateral movement. He should have saved three first one after the pass was fumbled for a first timer.
Brust is a lump. Straight on he is going to save it but make him move and he will be a lot slower than most. Thats why he is 12th in the stats. Beskorowany is a much better goalie.

great win today well done devils dug deep and never quit.i think if steelers fans think the league is won they're mistaken.belfast are only 2 points behind now having played 1 more game but steelers still have 5 games against belfast with 3 games being in belfast.the league is not over by a long shot.anything can happen now and that 5 game series will decide the winners.

august04 2.0

It was a great win tonight and Carruth was fantastic, as he has been for most of the season. He’s a top class goalie in this league, arguably as good as we've ever had for me. You could say it was the perfect road game or that we rode our luck and relied on our goaltending to win us the game. I'm not quite sure where I stand on that at the moment - but I do think that we will have to go for it a little more on Wednesday. We'll need Carruth to be at his absolute best, but I think we can do it again.

Diablo3

In the nettie debate I think the biggest difference with Kozun , Carruth and Ben is their positioning and they way they smother the puck to prevent rebounds. But I still have the utmost respect for Ben he is still a great nettie.

kettdevil1

Incredibly tense game that was an absolute beauty to win. Sheffield battered us for two periods but the more I see of Carruth, the more I wonder if I have ever seen an EIHL nettie who is better at playing the angles. He is square to the shooter almost every time and that means that although the shots were heavily weighted in favour of Sheffield, most were straight into Carruth's breadbasket.

I loved how we played a red-hot Sheffield team from about 30 minutes onwards, someone mentioned the rope-a-dope strategy and it wasn't far off..... consistently we broke with speed when given half a chance (led by Register who was immense yesterday) but when there wasn't a chance we just played it safe and got fresh legs. Face off wins in key areas were an issue - we need far more, although conversely our key man in that area, Dixon, was an absolute rock all other aspects of the game.

Sheffield fans seemed happy enough afterwards - in fairness the result doesn't massively help us, but does help them - and the game reinforced my view that this team has a great chance in the cup and in the playoffs as in any one off game, they are incredibly hard to beat.

jenks33

Incredibly tense game that was an absolute beauty to win. Sheffield battered us for two periods but the more I see of Carruth, the more I wonder if I have ever seen an EIHL nettie who is better at playing the angles. He is square to the shooter almost every time and that means that although the shots were heavily weighted in favour of Sheffield, most were straight into Carruth's breadbasket.

I loved how we played a red-hot Sheffield team from about 30 minutes onwards, someone mentioned the rope-a-dope strategy and it wasn't far off..... consistently we broke with speed when given half a chance (led by Register who was immense yesterday) but when there wasn't a chance we just played it safe and got fresh legs. Face off wins in key areas were an issue - we need far more, although conversely our key man in that area, Dixon, was an absolute rock all other aspects of the game.

Sheffield fans seemed happy enough afterwards - in fairness the result doesn't massively help us, but does help them - and the game reinforced my view that this team has a great chance in the cup and in the playoffs as in any one off game, they are incredibly hard to beat.
Jonathan Fearnley mentioned our face off stats on commentary. Saying that Dixon’s stats are good but everybody else’s aren’t great. That’s something that needs to be addressed next season.

kettdevil1

Jonathan Fearnley mentioned our face off stats on commentary. Saying that Dixon’s stats are good but everybody else’s aren’t great. That’s something that needs to be addressed next season.
That's interesting thanks - didn't look at the stats before posting but even with Dixon on the draw, we seemed to be losing a lot in crucial areas. Across the whole of the season it has been an issue

jenks33

That's interesting thanks - didn't look at the stats before posting but even with Dixon on the draw, we seemed to be losing a lot in crucial areas. Across the whole of the season it has been an issue
Yeah sorry I meant over the whole season rather than last night. Apart from Dixon we’ve struggled at face offs

Kevin roog

If my memory serves , the last season before COVID we won 4 out of 4 penalty shootouts including a champions league one, and this year we are 4 out of 4 including challenge cup games, i haven’t checked this up, just going by memory