steelers Vs Devils - League - 20th Feb 22

Slartibartfast

Man of the match goes to Skalde in my opinion. This is how to beat the steelers. Play defensive, frustrate them and then take your few opportunities.
The Steelers are a very very good team but also extremely jammy. Look at that last goal. Pure luck. OK it might make little difference to the league standings but taking a point off the Steelers at home is special.
Well done Devils.

BostonBart22

Both great winning penalty shots, how they scored v Brust is beyond me, he is wider than the goals stood up, great win boys day off tomorrow and go again wednesday...

Wannabe2

Well played lads you dug deep for that,. 3 shots against the metalwork, a fluke of a goal that has Steelers written all over it. A goalie that stood on his bloody head Sir Mac Carruth, and a team that never gave up and was there to win and nothing less. That attitude on Wednesday will see us through, play with that passion and do away with the flukiest of goals ever and we will be just fine. Have some good rest guys and let’s do this.

What a game! Can’t fault one player tonight but Carruth was MOM in my eyes. Only criticism I have is on the officiating - some very soft calls made both ways and some blatant ones ignored.

Devil94

Man of the match goes to Skalde in my opinion. This is how to beat the steelers. Play defensive, frustrate them and then take your few opportunities.
The Steelers are a very very good team but also extremely jammy. Look at that last goal. Pure luck. OK it might make little difference to the league standings but taking a point off the Steelers at home is special.
Well done Devils.
Absolutely. The shots on goal stat on its own means nothing. Even when we destroyed them 0-5 earlier in the year, they still outshot us 50-32 (21-16).
Tonight was a superb road game against the best in the league this year. We will now at least draw with Sheffield in the season series, to go with beating Belfast.

E.D.S.

There’s so much to be proud of. So much grit and determination, it got to a point tonight where I thought… even if we lose this I’m still a happy fella. Well done guys. Carruth was superb. Reid worked hard too and Coughler is just outstanding. Solid at the back for most of the game. I’m beaming.

And…. Brandt…… imagine if he stayed here for 5+ seasons…?? What a guy! Off his rocker and zero regard for his own body. 100% Devils material. Please re-sign!

moggy#9

Both great winning penalty shots, how they scored v Brust is beyond me, he is wider than the goals stood up, great win boys day off tomorrow and go again wednesday...
The angle on the replays was great. I was amazed at how much room he left high to the stick side, presumably because he was going low for an expected deke. Then Cox's about gets his on the glove side. Looking at the nature of our two regulation time goals, I wonder if there was some scouting on brust's lateral movement. He should have saved three first one after the pass was fumbled for a first timer.

Wannabe2

Aside from the game, a word about the Steelers webcast. It is excellent. A very professional comment with a commentator who is knowledgeable without being loud and obnoxious. One or two other clubs could learn several lessons.
Steelers webcast has been the very best for years now,nothing comes close. Their commentry puts the rest on the back burner, although Dundee is excellent, Clan is very very good, and Blaze is up there, and if Guildford if they done one would also be good. Steelers commentator is the one all the others should be striving to emulate, NATURAL voice, no shouting, knowledge of the game, unbias, and being themselves and not some fictitious being who don’t exist

E.D.S.

Got to say…. I’ve not always had the best of experiences with Sheffield fans when watching games away but tonight they were spot on. Think they know the league is wrapped up/believe they’ll win it. General feeling before the game was that they’d be happy to lose tonight but win the CC game which was my fear. I’d rather have lost tonight and win the CC game. They’ll be pumped for that game.

Can’t beat winning in Sheffield!!

jenks33

Great effort, great win. Do I think the performance was as good as some are making out? Probably not. I think we’ll have to be a lot smarter on Wednesday to get the win. Steelers will come out all guns blazing on Wednesday and I think our puck management will have to be a lot better. We gave the puck away for fun at times. Always pleasing to beat that lot up there tho!

Mazzoak

Yes neither side was willing to play all their cards tonight. Professional hockey (any competition) has a level of strategy, the win every game mentality is a bit of a myth, it’s a fan hope rather than a reality. You do what you need to when needed, if that means not throwing everything into a game that means nowt, to then potentially loose the one you wanted, well that’s just plain crazy, right there. Neither side tonight threw everything at that, good game, but Wednesday will be the one, that’ll be the night we see both teams throwing it on the ice...........