steelers Vs Devils - League - 1st Oct 23 - 16:00 FO

moggy#9

We finally have a Coach that speaks so much sense, we scored a home run when we signed Sir Peter. We have a very good team, being steered by a first class coach, and don’t it feel good. Thanks guys you made Sunday a very happy day for so many of us, it’s a pure joy to watch this team. Happy Hockey Days.
I find it so refreshing to have a coach that actually talks about the game and answers questions in interviews, rather than just spouting clichés and nonsense.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #102
That's the level of highlights every Elite team should be striving for.

On a side note, have the Devils changed the fonts on the back of the jerseys to something legible or have my eyes got better?

moggy#9

On a side note, have the Devils changed the fonts on the back of the jerseys to something legible or have my eyes got better?
I noticed a sarcastic comment from the devils Twitter feed about the Steelers webcast being in the top 10 of the elite league. I'm not usually one to heap praise on the orange, but it's head and shoulders above everything else.

Diafol

I find the red numbers on white jerseys slightly easier to read than the other way round.

Either way they're both still unnecessarily difficult.

E.D.S.

I find it so refreshing to have a coach that actually talks about the game and answers questions in interviews, rather than just spouting clichés and nonsense.
Big time. There's a little smirk on his face too. That air of confidence but not arrogance. It strikes me as total belief in his ability to coach a team which must rub off and be felt in the dressing room. He still scares me a little.

Pope#42

What a weekend - 4 points in the bag and two of those from a hard rink to play in!

Whilst I appreciate its early days and there are areas to improve upon (face offs for example), this team really is something to watch and whenever I’ve left the rink I’ve genuinely been excited for what this season will bring. Such a refreshing feeling after last season. I thought the special teams had greatly improved this weekend too - so all in all the perfect weekend of hockey!

kettdevil1

What a weekend - 4 points in the bag and two of those from a hard rink to play in!

Whilst I appreciate its early days and there are areas to improve upon (face offs for example), this team really is something to watch and whenever I’ve left the rink I’ve genuinely been excited for what this season will bring. Such a refreshing feeling after last season. I thought the special teams had greatly improved this weekend too - so all in all the perfect weekend of hockey!
Agree 100% with this. The special teams were excellent Sunday, PR seems to be utilising Duggan, Batch and Davies on the PK and that worked very well indeed (the PP goal Sheffield scored was when all three had headed to the bench having killed the previous penalty) The PP looks so much more threatening as well.

Face offs are an issue, having lost Penny, who for all his faults was still a premier face off expert, our number 1 is now Busch who is decent but not someone who can guarantee you a win in key situations, so it will be interesting to see how PR handles this moving on in the season

ASHIPP

I noticed the face off differences in the pre-season game against the Steelers. GOAT usually has a fairly high, consistent face off percentage. Even he was struggling against the match ups with the Steelers' centres.

Will be interesting to see how the Team deal with improving the face off issue. Puck possession saves energy and offers more time to set up play...instead of wasting a shift trying to retrieve the puck.

Wannabe2

The best team we have had for quite awhile now, it’s a pure joy to watch them and to go to games with high hopes is a nice change. Yes face offs need some attention, but we certainly look like a 60 min team, to beat a very good Steelers team in their own gaff is something not many teams will achieve. And then when you have a coach saying this team will get better, then boy don’t the future look pretty neat, our great organisation certainly pulled the rabbit out of the hat signing Sir Peter. My season ticket money was money well spent,and how many times can anyone make that statement these days, so cheers guys without a doubt the best ticket in town. Happy Hockey Days

Agree 100% with this. The special teams were excellent Sunday, PR seems to be utilising Duggan, Batch and Davies on the PK and that worked very well indeed (the PP goal Sheffield scored was when all three had headed to the bench having killed the previous penalty) The PP looks so much more threatening as well.

Face offs are an issue, having lost Penny, who for all his faults was still a premier face off expert, our number 1 is now Busch who is decent but not someone who can guarantee you a win in key situations, so it will be interesting to see how PR handles this moving on in the season
Our Powerplay percentage is 18.18% not looking to good at the moment but something to work on.
Our Penalty kill is 83.33%. glad to see this high...

kettdevil1

I noticed the face off differences in the pre-season game against the Steelers. GOAT usually has a fairly high, consistent face off percentage. Even he was struggling against the match ups with the Steelers' centres.

Will be interesting to see how the Team deal with improving the face off issue. Puck possession saves energy and offers more time to set up play...instead of wasting a shift trying to retrieve the puck.
Actually I have just been looking at the stats from last year and Joey's FO wins is actually higher than Penny's so I stand corrected - but even Joey was just around 52%. On a small sample this season, Busch is 58% which is decent, although we will see if it is maintained.

kettdevil1

Our Powerplay percentage is 18.18% not looking to good at the moment but something to work on.
Our Penalty kill is 83.33%. glad to see this high...
If we maintain that PK % over the year then it will be higher than any team last year. As you say the PP needs a bit of work stats wise but, speaking personally, it looks about a million times more dangerous than last season (despite being only slightly higher in percentage terms)

Early days though

If we maintain that PK % over the year then it will be higher than any team last year. As you say the PP needs a bit of work stats wise but, speaking personally, it looks about a million times more dangerous than last season (despite being only slightly higher in percentage terms)

Early days though
exactly what i was thinking..

BostonBart22

Oh for a matt myers, fantastic at face offs, ,unfortunately he won't play for us again..

moggy#9

I really wouldn't get too hung up on the power play stats when we've just played two teams who we also played in preseason, and who were prepared for how to set up against us. Also bear in mind that Sheffield are a very good team who will be in the mix at the end of the season. We'll have the same issue against Belfast.

The stats should settle down by the end of October. From what I've seen I'd expect something around 26-28%.

It’s very interesting to see that after the Steelers game I haven’t noticed anybody shouting about a problem with being bullied and needing a tough/big body guy.
Also remember that Pete Russell signed this team (or most of it) so he can’t feel the need for one surely?
I think the issue is exaggerated a bit, and being bullied and being out coached are just popular sayings to a certain extent
Great games over the weekend and totally enjoying what I’ve seen so far