SORAC and the New Rink

Finny said:
Am I the only person who finds it strange that the Devils have had a meeting with Planet Ice about the new arena, yet they still don't know it's specification?

The 'rumoured' 3000 seats is ideal IMO. But the fact it is only one pad is very disappointing and a kick in the teeth for all other users of the rink. Still don't quite understand how a bid which offers to build 2 ice pads is beaten by a bid which offers to build just one.

I was hoping we would have an ice facility that South Wales could be proud of. Now I feel it'll be just another off the shelf rink.
Cost/cheapness? I really can see this being the SkyDome mark 2.

Wonder if they'll manage to have just one seat where your view isn't impeded by a set of stairs? Why they are in front of you and not behind is just a mystery to me.

El Supremo said:
Finny said:
Am I the only person who finds it strange that the Devils have had a meeting with Planet Ice about the new arena, yet they still don't know it's specification?

The 'rumoured' 3000 seats is ideal IMO. But the fact it is only one pad is very disappointing and a kick in the teeth for all other users of the rink. Still don't quite understand how a bid which offers to build 2 ice pads is beaten by a bid which offers to build just one.

I was hoping we would have an ice facility that South Wales could be proud of. Now I feel it'll be just another off the shelf rink.
Cost/cheapness? I really can see this being the SkyDome mark 2.

Yep a total toilet within 5-6 years

BBW said:
Wonder if they'll manage to have just one seat where your view isn't impeded by a set of stairs? Why they are in front of you and not behind is just a mystery to me.
Easy its cheaper and as long as you have paid your entrance fee and been fleeced in tha Cafe and bar nobody cares. Just the fact that they have now stocked Olde English instead of Strongbow should have excluded them from the select tender list

Is there a realistic possibility of some sort of protest being done to this.
I am fairly confident that enough support could be gathered to at least turn in a decent petition, whether CCC chose to acknowledge it is another matter, but coming on here and complaining does us no good if we aren't fighting it in a way which is (supposedly) recognised by the council.

Eskarin said:
I am fairly confident that enough support could be gathered to at least turn in a decent petition, whether CCC chose to acknowledge it is another matter, but coming on here and complaining does us no good if we aren't fighting it in a way which is (supposedly) recognised by the council.

TOATLLY AGREE WITH YOU A PETITION SHOULD BE STARTED AND PASSED AROUND THE RINK STARTING WITH MANAGEMENT AND PLAYERS.

Koop11

This is probably the biggest disappointment in recent Devils history and what an opportunity wasted for the skating community in South Wales. A twin pad facility would have seen plenty of ice time available for the Devils, the juniors, the rec teams, the sledge hockey, the figure skaters and so on. PI’s track record is worrying and I fear the skating community may suffer, facing high costs and limited availability. Call me sceptical but I think this has probably come down to what I thought it would and that is money. PI probably offered more money to CCC. Never mind the community element.

For the Devils, well this is a huge blow for the future of the club in terms of how competitive we can be. Our ice time will be dictated by PI and what we will pay for that time will also be at PI’s discretion. Very sad news for the club.

I’m eager to see what the design of the new rink will be. I fear that the new rink will not be anywhere near the spec we had in our own tender. Will the fans receive a good quality match night experience (sight lines, sound, food and drink)? Will the club be able to benefit from quality hospitality to attract sponsors? Will the club be able to receive good coverage (TV camera’s)? I could go on but time will tell I guess.

It will be interesting to see how the Devils management will approach seasons to come. It’s clear that huge investment has been made in recent years, especially this summer. This is our most competitive team at this level. DCF is receiving higher exposure than ever and we will have no doubt spend a huge sum of money pulling our tender together. Is this sustainable now? I’m not sure.

On the plus side, there isn’t a team in this league that currently runs their own facility and the Nottingham’s, Belfast’s and Coventry’s of this world seem to do ok. Let’s hope we can follow in their footsteps. Also, dare I say, despite the new rink possibly falling short of our spec, it should be better than the blue tent. It’s encouraging to read that Mr Ragan is in talks with PI to try and ensure we cut a good deal on ice time.

Onwards and upwards.

Online petitions may also help as people who have interest in the use of the rink but not ice hockey will unlikely be at the games.
It's important to remember that its not just about the ice hockey, its about the figure skaters and the ability to introduce new people to the ice in general.

Foxy said:
Might be an idea to find out exactly what the proposal is before firing off on-line petitions!!!
Agreed, apologies for any misunderstanding in my meaning. My point was more aimed at complaining about it but doing nothing is just pointless, even if this is an forum in which people are entitled to offer their opinions on any matter.

Eskarin said:
Boycotting PI cafe, bar and vending machines could be an option, paying cash or buying flex tickets from Devils office rather than letting PI charge booking fees on ticket purchases. I know its a small protest but it could start straight away

Foxy

Eskarin said:
Foxy said:
Might be an idea to find out exactly what the proposal is before firing off on-line petitions!!!
Agreed, apologies for any misunderstanding in my meaning. My point was more aimed at complaining about it but doing nothing is just pointless, even if this is an forum in which people are entitled to offer their opinions on any matter.
No need to apologise but people are jumping on the band wagon because of information that is only hearsay and speculation at the moment. We're going to look complete idiots if the plans turn out to be exactly what we want and need.

I'd hoped that we would be getting a nice new little arena rather like the Braehead Arena. Instead, I think we'll end up with something like the SkyDome (e.g. plastic seats etc).

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Eskarin said:
Boycotting PI cafe, bar and vending machines could be an option, paying cash or buying flex tickets from Devils office rather than letting PI charge booking fees on ticket purchases. I know its a small protest but it could start straight away
Not attempting to criticise the suggestion as such
But as much money as they make from this I am fairly confident they make a lot more from the daily skating sessions especially on the weekend when I have seen queues going out the door and around the side of the building

Foxy said:
Eskarin said:
Foxy said:
No need to apologise but people are jumping on the band wagon because of information that is only hearsay and speculation at the moment. We're going to look complete idiots if the plans turn out to be exactly what we want and need.
Whilst i agree with the point the maintenance of the rink and it facilities have been a joke under planet ice thus far, which hardly gives us any reason to have confidence in them

Finny

Foxy said:
We're going to look complete idiots if the plans turn out to be exactly what we want and need.
Very true. There has been no official confirmation of what the Planet Ice spec was. Hopefully this will be announced soon, there might even be a PR tomorrow?
Obviously there will be some who won't be happy with PI due to previous problems, but if they announce it's a twinpad with a 3000 main arena built in the Centrum-mold and the club believe the deal for them is good enough, I'll be more than happy with that.

And it's also probably worth pointing out that PI didn't design the Skydome. So hopefully we won't end up with a copy of that.

Slartibartfast

I wonder what finally won it for PI.
Could it be the patch of thin ice with the sand almost coming through (nearest the DJ stand)
Could it be the constantly blocked showers and slimy water that we have to stand in
Could it be the gaps that appear on the edges of the ice pad that you can loose a skate blade in

Nooooo...

The last minute shrewed move by PI that clinched it was.....wait for it.....

Red carpet in the changing rooms..

Yes this week red carpet appeared in the changing room. So we can all rest now knowing that the rink is in safe hands. :lol:

Compaining and/or petitions would be a waste of time now, if we were going to try and influence the councils decision making we should have started months ago when they were awarded the extension to the operators licence.
I don't have a problem with the capacity but can't understand the decision to only build one ice pad. Cost shouldn't be an issue as the facility is being built with private money isn't it?
My main fear is that experience of Planet Ice tells us that far from a prestige facility that Cardiff can be proud of and people will actually like spending time and money in, they will go for every cheap option and corner cutting opportunity they can and we will be stuck with a second rate facility, run by a second rate operator. My hope is that they can prove me wrong but I won;t hold my breath. :evil:

What a laugh :lol: I wonder where you managed to find that information out regarding the New 'Red Carpet' in the players changing rooms? Are you saying that Planet Ice are actually trying to take the credit for doing something positive for the players!! :lol:
I am sorry to have to burst your bubble ..... but ..... wait for it ..... the 'New Red Carpet' was actually supplied and fitted 'FREE OF CHARGE' by ..... wait for it .... a loyal Devils Fan! :lol:
How do I know that? He is my husband!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slartibartfast said:
I wonder what finally won it for PI.
Could it be the patch of thin ice with the sand almost coming through (nearest the DJ stand)
Could it be the constantly blocked showers and slimy water that we have to stand in
Could it be the gaps that appear on the edges of the ice pad that you can loose a skate blade in

Nooooo...

The last minute shrewed move by PI that clinched it was.....wait for it.....

Red carpet in the changing rooms..

Yes this week red carpet appeared in the changing room. So we can all rest now knowing that the rink is in safe hands. :lol: