SORAC and the New Rink

Kipper

Finny said:
Additionally, my memory from when the current tent was built was that Planet Ice not only won the tender to run the rink, but also had some say in the design of the rink and it being built?

Was it that they setup an separate company called Ice Associates or am I totally wrong?
Ice Associates was a completely different company to Planet Ice.However I understand that Mike Petrouis bought the current building off Ice Associates at some stage

Kipper

The saddest thing would be if the opportunity wasn't taken to develop a twin ice pad facility as the city certainly needs it.There is nowhere near enough ice time available for all the competetive and rec hockey teams, figure skaters etc and that's without opportunities for curling, speed skating etc.

It would be a crying shame if this wasn't achieved.

Ting Tong Bob said:
I believe Bob Phillips introduced Steve Baber to the council at the end of the 05/06 season for the build of the new tent
Wrong, he introduced Steve Baber to Ice Associates to help them with the build.

osh

Shame the Devil's have missed out, but at least Paul Ragan has addressed the needs of the club in a meeting with PI and CCC. We have to accept this, lets just hope that everyone benefits from this and not forgetting that ice hockey is not the only issue here. I'm a bit disappointed that its rumoured to be a single ring arena with a 3000 capacity. I think with more exposure and a bit of success, we could eventually have got crowds up between 3500 and 4000.

Ger-Devils

osh said:
Shame the Devil's have missed out, but at least Paul Ragan has addressed the needs of the club in a meeting with PI and CCC. We have to accept this, lets just hope that everyone benefits from this and not forgetting that ice hockey is not the only issue here. I'm a bit disappointed that its rumoured to be a single ring arena with a 3000 capacity. I think with more exposure and a bit of success, we could eventually have got crowds up between 3500 and 4000.
A double pad is needed badly! The ice is shocking to be honest with you! It's used for 18 hours a day and the state it gets in is unreal!

I always thought that the Bay was a terrible place for the Devils. Why don't we build our own rink or go into partnership with Marine Group? Who says Cardiff can only have one rink? The Devils are really trying to put a spin onto this - let's not forget what they said a few months ago though about them possibly building their own rink if they don't win the tender.

Ger-Devils

El Supremo said:
I always thought that the Bay was a terrible place for the Devils. Why don't we build our own rink or go into partnership with Marine Group? Who says Cardiff can only have one rink? The Devils are really trying to put a spin onto this - let's not forget what they said a few months ago though about them possibly building their own rink if they don't win the tender.
We can hope!

Ger-Devils said:
El Supremo said:
We can hope!
I think we need to do more than hope! We really need to be proactive now!

3000 seats... terrible, single pad... disaster. To top off the bad news I bet it'll be a horseshoe design!

Shouldn't the plans be the public domain now? How can we access them?

Gutted that PI got the bid tbh! -__-
Myself i dont see why their bid is the best for anyone, except them and the money grabing butts!
:evil:

Does anyone think anything will be said on the topic at the game tomorrow, and or we the fans will be asked what we think? I hope so, and i really hope the rumours ae true that the devils and Paul Ragan may plan to bild their own rink! :cry:

Just heard a rumour that Planet ice are going to relocate all thier soap dispensers from the toilets in the tent to the new rink. Shouldn't be too much of a messy job as there's never been any soap in them!!

The Devils should build their own rink and outside the CCC area, there may be some regional grants available if its north of the M4, Nantgarw was suggested a few years ago and would be nearer to the M4 than the current rink. They should be able to encourage nearly all of PI s customer base to use an alternative rink. People only use PI rinks because there is no alternative, not because of the value for money or the great service they receive

Planet Ice should not be allowed to have a monopoly over ice in this country and local authorities have assisted them in this. Competition is needed and soon.

A big thank you to Tom Morgan for the legacy he has left for the skating community NOT and I really hope you enjoy your retirement Tom NOT. I really hope you can t sleep at night and have a really crap retirement. I am sure someone from PI will reccomend you for an OBE or something and you will come out of this ok as usual

Finny

Am I the only person who finds it strange that the Devils have had a meeting with Planet Ice about the new arena, yet they still don't know it's specification?

The 'rumoured' 3000 seats is ideal IMO. But the fact it is only one pad is very disappointing and a kick in the teeth for all other users of the rink. Still don't quite understand how a bid which offers to build 2 ice pads is beaten by a bid which offers to build just one.

I was hoping we would have an ice facility that South Wales could be proud of. Now I feel it'll be just another off the shelf rink.