SORAC and the New Rink

Finny

There do seem to be suggestions that the 6000 arena was wrong. I guess until we get an announcement it is all hypothetical anyway.

I wonder whether there will be any gossip about it at the party tonight?

osh

Finny said:
There do seem to be suggestions that the 6000 arena was wrong. I guess until we get an announcement it is all hypothetical anyway.

If a decision has already been made, it would be normal for those who have tendered bids to have been made aware that they were successful or not, so its quite likely that something will be revealed at the players meeting tonight. Either way, whatever is decided has to be better initially than the tent with all its shortcomings and worse of all its abysmal sight lines! Only wish we could have a sponsor like the one in Dubai who's son wanted a full size rink in the newest mall there, so it was included in the new mall complex and ice hockey is taking off there, easy really!!

Oh well if this is true then well done to Cardiff Council for showing no faith in Welsh businesses. That's more profits heading to England. No wonder our GVA is so crap :(

What has planet ice done for the community and city of Cardiff? They've provided jobs, but the rink would be there no matter who was running it so they can't take credit for that.

OK planet ice has experience with ice rinks that the other two bids don't, but that doesn't mean they don't suck. Just because you're experienced doesn't make you good at something - it just means you've done it for a while. :roll:

Chris said:
Of the 3 bids that went in, planet-ice would have been my preferred choice to be honest...

Chris.
To be honest I would like anyone but PI and that includes BP. Whatever PI s bid was the whole thing will be run on a shoestring for large profit

Soundwave1 said:
Oh well if this is true then well done to Cardiff Council for showing no faith in Welsh businesses. That's more profits heading to England. No wonder our GVA is so crap :(

What has planet ice done for the community and city of Cardiff? They've provided jobs, but the rink would be there no matter who was running it so they can't take credit for that.

OK planet ice has experience with ice rinks that the other two bids don't, but that doesn't mean they don't suck. Just because you're experienced doesn't make you good at something - it just means you've done it for a while. :roll:
Badly in most cases, I really do hope that if PI get it, the Devils build their own rink and kick the ISV in to touch and even anywhere in CCC area, Nantgarw anyone ? closer to M4 still close to Cardiff no PI creaming profits from your match night burger and pint

Finny said:

the Council would announce it on a Fri afternoon and then take the bank hol off to hope everyone forgets to give them flak over it

Gazza272 said:
Cant see how we are going to survive in a 6000 seater arena

I believe the 6000 seater rink banded about was a red herring, Im told their winning bid is a single ice pad similar in capacity to the Devils bid but with larger open standing spaces.

Ting Tong Bob said:
Gazza272 said:

I believe the 6000 seater rink banded about was a red herring, Im told their winning bid is a single ice pad similar in capacity to the Devils bid but with larger open standing spaces.
Which suggests their plan is cheaper - perhaps they've put a cheaper option forward that won't need any council funding? (that's what I'd do if my only motivation was winning the bid)

Fruitless speculation on my part of course :)

Soundwave1 said:
Ting Tong Bob said:
Gazza272 said:

Which suggests their plan is cheaper - perhaps they've put a cheaper option forward that won't need any council funding? (that's what I'd do if my only motivation was winning the bid)

Fruitless speculation on my part of course :)

The Council funding was in the form of a loan though £1.7m PI wouldn t need that after all of the money they have made in the tent out of the taxpayers investment

Sheincar

osh said:
Finny said:

If a decision has already been made, it would be normal for those who have tendered bids to have been made aware that they were successful or not, so its quite likely that something will be revealed at the players meeting tonight. Either way, whatever is decided has to be better initially than the tent with all its shortcomings and worse of all its abysmal sight lines! Only wish we could have a sponsor like the one in Dubai who's son wanted a full size rink in the newest mall there, so it was included in the new mall complex and ice hockey is taking off there, easy really!!
Wasn't there a rumour a while ago that that's what BP was doing in Dubai?

Ting Tong Bob said:
Gazza272 said:

I heard it was a single ice pad with 4000 seats and PI had the tender :( Really hoping its not the case :cry:

Whether it is a 4 or 6 thousand seater you would have to question the councils decision making process as the general consensus is that a twin pad arena would be far more beneficial to all users.
From a purely hockey perspective, there are rec teams that train at stupid o'clock and there are some that cannot get sufficient ice time for training or fixtures. Players cannot run hockey camps as the cost is prohibitive, Stevie Lyle has had to hold one in Swindon this summer I believe and Gerad Adams has said that despite the success of the one he ran a couple of years back running another one would be to expensive. That is surely detrimental to the future of home grown talent.
I would agree that P.I., despite our gripes, run a profitable organisation but when you think what they had to put into the tent in terms of finance and effort Del Boy Trotter couldn't have failed.
They had an in-situ customer base and would have increased awareness when the swimming pool opened. Has anyone ever seen any sort of advertising for the rink itself apart from on or in the rink? That said though they are a business that relies on customers and I would be very interested in finding out the customer satisfaction percentages across all their rinks I can't imagine it would make for comfortable reading for P.I. It's lucky they don't really give a toss I suppose.

Finny

As a Devils fans I would obviously have preferred the rink to be run by the Devils as it would mean more revenue for the club and a better team on the ice.

As a Cardiff resident though I am far more concerned with the design of the rink/arena than who ran it. From what has been said on here, it would seem that the bidders were told they would be loaned £1.7million and they would have to make up the rest of the money themselves?

So Planet Ice take that £1.7million and build 1 ice pad with whatever their capacity is (I don't think it is 6000 - possibly 4000 maybe even less).
Or
The Devils take that £1.7million and build 2 ice pads - one of which will be used mainly for junior development and other ice sports.

Sorry, but I can't see how building just one 1 ice pad would be beneficial to the city instead of 2. I really hope the bids are made available to the public as I can't wait to see them once the winner has been announced.

Finny

Additionally, my memory from when the current tent was built was that Planet Ice not only won the tender to run the rink, but also had some say in the design of the rink and it being built?

Was it that they setup an separate company called Ice Associates or am I totally wrong?

Finny said:
Additionally, my memory from when the current tent was built was that Planet Ice not only won the tender to run the rink, but also had some say in the design of the rink and it being built?

Was it that they setup an separate company called Ice Associates or am I totally wrong?
I believe Bob Phillips introduced Steve Baber to the council at the end of the 05/06 season for the build of the new tent; he won it and built the tent. PI didn’t get involved until tenders were invited for the running of the tent.

I'm also under the impression the council held back quite a large amount of money from the contract for the removal of the tent at the end of its life, if true who is now responsible for this as certain companies/people have been and gone. Plus who actually owns certain parts of the tent/ground its on as stories were rife after the last tender that contracts had been sold/subcontracted on to third parties?????

I’m sure the story has long way to unfold over the next few months with allegations and counter allegations :D

Find it quite hard to believe that this tender business is done and dusted and that Planet ice has been given the nod.
Listening to any rumours down the rink is way off the mark, i dont think that if Planet Ice big wigs knew something we mortals didn't they would keep it to themselves untill announced officially!